UK UK - Jaime Cheesman, 16, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, 2 Nov 1993

ElemenohP

Reaction score
Fresh appeal for missing Jaime, 23 years on

stream_img.jpg

(Jaime at 16)

A new appeal is being made for information in the missing persons case of Jaime Cheesman, who was 16 at the time she was last seen in Grimsby.

She was reported missing in early November 1993, having disappeared from an address in Comber Place, which she shared with the family of her best friend.

Jaime regularly traveled between Wellinborough and Grimsby, and previous enquiries have suggested that after her last return to her Grimsby residence before she went missing, she had gotten into a disagreement and left the address.

The last confirmed sighting of Jaime was on
2 November 1993, when she attended to make her benefit claim in Grimsby.

stream_img.jpg

(Age-progression of Jaime to 39)

I remember this happening. Surely she's not likely to be in the immediate area still, someone would have suspected something in the last 23 years?

Grimsby is local to me. I have to say that I haven't ever heard any rumours at all about Jaime, despite this being the sort of area where gossip spreads like wildfire.

I don't know what to think. I don't buy that she is still in the area though. Too many people would probably know who she really was and I'm certain that someone would have blabbed and 'outed' her by now. She would also have surely continued to claim benefits, especially if she was pregnant.

I think she was either killed or she got picked up by one of her traveller friends, and she has lived with them ever since. I can't help wondering why she would never contact her family for all these years if she was still alive though.

It would probably be fairly easy to get rid of a body in the Grimsby area. We are by the huge River Humber and of course we are by the sea too. In this area, there are all sorts of tales of people who got caught by the tides, washed out to sea and the bodies never recovered. I even once got told a tale of some girls horse riding on the beach who got caught out by the tides and neither the bodies of the girls or the horses were recovered. The currents are very strong.

Comber Place is actually due to be demolished in a few days time. There is an article about it in the Grimsby Telegraph - http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/m...e-demolished/story-29564947-detail/story.html

From the first link:

She ..... moved to Grimsby to live with her best friend a few months prior to her disappearance.

..... the week she went missing, she left Wellingborough with her friend’s father and another man to travel to Grimsby to sign on.

(http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2016-03-08/fresh-appeal-for-missing-jaime-23-years-on/)

She subsequently left the friend's family home "following a disagreement".

Who witnessed the disagreement?
Who was present at it?
Who reported it following Jaime's disagreement?
Who actually saw her leave the flat?

A disappeared 18 year old girl and two much older men who between them appeared to have access to a vehicle. I don't know, but this all seems rather dodgy to me. I hope the father and his mate were thoroughly looked into by the police at the time and subsequently.

And if she was pregnant, could the friend's father have been the father of Jaime's baby?

I agree with the local-to-Grimsby posters: it's just not credible that Jaime could have remained in the Grimsby or Northampton areas for 20+ years without being spotted by someone who recognised her, even if living with "Travellers".

I wonder what the police meant by "Travellers" anyway? Irish Travellers? New Age Travellers?

I think the latter is more likely. We need to bear in mind that by 1993 the tide was turning against NATs in the UK because the government enacted much stricter anti-trespass laws in the wake of the NAT invasion of Castlemorton Common near Malvern the previous year.

Some more pagan-leaning NATs made their way to Ireland, especially Kerry, and settled there. According to Wikipedia many other NATs went to Europe, especially Spain, so it could be worth looking for Jaime in Ireland or Spain.

If she remained in the UK it's possible she ended up in one of the Green/hippy/pagan/counterculture centres such as Brighton or Bristol, or indeed she could have settled in one of the hippy/NAT communes or simply be WWOOFing her way around the UK and Europe.

Assuming she wasn't murdered in 1993 of course.

I also wonder of the nature of Jaime's friendship with the travellers? Most traveller communities are quite insular. Was she romantically involved with a traveller boy? If she was, his family might have disapproved of this. They may have needed to elope to be together without his family being able to find them, especially if they were expecting a baby together.

I hate to mention it, but some traveller groups have been known to keep people as slaves...

Honestly though, my instinct is that Jaime never left Comber Place. Not alive anyway. :(

I also wonder of the nature of Jaime's friendship with the travellers? Most traveller communities are quite insular. Was she romantically involved with a traveller boy? If she was, his family might have disapproved of this. They may have needed to elope to be together without his family being able to find them, especially if they were expecting a baby together.

I hate to mention it, but some traveller groups have been known to keep people as slaves...

This is why it is important to know what the police meant by "Travellers".

The genuine Roma tend to keep themselves very much to themselves, and they are the ones who have traditionally moved around following seasonal agricultural work. Many of them have in fact been settled in ordinary housing for generations.

The NATs are very open - anyone can join them and anyone can leave at any time. They tend to make their living on the festival circuit where they provide various services, including drug selling on festival sites. During the winter they tend to gravitate back to a number of urban centres and squat until the following spring.

The Irish Travellers are the ones who have been found to keep slaves and are involved in criminal behaviour as it affects wider society, eg swindling vulnerable people for building and similar work which is either not needed at all or is charged at an extortionate rate and payment enforced by intimidation. From what little I know, this tends to be an aggressively patriarchal society, largely reflecting wider Irish society as it was in the 1960s and earlier. Marriages are usually arranged between groups and clans, so outsiders are not usually welcomed. It's not impossible that Jaime found her way into one of these groups but I think it less likely than her joining a NAT one.

Honestly though, my instinct is that Jaime never left Comber Place. Not alive anyway. :(

I agree with you. As I said earlier, I think the friend's father and his friend should be looked at very closely.

I did notice something on one of the local Facebook pages when they shared a link to a news story about Jaime. It was nothing really, just a guy tagging a woman in the comments section. Iirc he had tagged his wife and her location was Wellingborough and his was Grimsby. The wife looked about Jaime's age and a bit similar to Jaime (but likely not the same person imo).

From what I can remember, there were a handful of unconfirmed sightings of Jaime Cheesman between 1994 and 2004:
Northampton in 1994, Milton Keynes in 1994, Northampton again in 2000 (at a nightclub) and in Wellingborough in 2004.
Her father, Eric, claimed to have come within yards of his daughter in 2004 at a market stall close to the family home, shortly after she was sighted in Wellingborough, but unfortunately could not keep up with her due to arthritis, and she disappeared into the crowd.

In 2015, there was a possible sighting of Jaime in Alnwick, Northumberland - a town 195 miles from Grimsby, where she was last seen and more than 250 miles north of the last unconfirmed sighting made eleven years earlier.
As is the case with many unconfirmed sightings, I often question the credibility of them. Since it has been 27 years since Jaime Cheesman was last seen, sightings of the now 43 year-old woman seem less and less credible, as her appearance will have vastly changed since 1993.
And plus, this case has not received much media coverage unlike other cases, such as that of Andrew Gosden, who went missing in September 2007. Due to the lack of media coverage of her case, the sightings will definitely seem less credible.

I believe that Jaime is still alive, but may be using an alias. Never give up searching, folks! ♥

Renewed appeal today from the father, on most big media platforms.
https://www.facebook.com/humberbeat/photos/a.159960057397575/3906996949360515/?type=3
Can you help us to solve a 28-year-old mystery?
Jaime Ann Cheesman was just 16-years-old when she was reported #missing in November 1993 but despite extensive enquiries and numerous reported sightings, she has never been found.
Sadly, her mum Barbara passed away without ever knowing what happened to her daughter but today her dad Eric, 78, is making a fresh appeal for your help in tracing her on what would have been her 43rd birthday.
He said: “It’s been a long time but I am still hopeful. I do really miss her – like any dad would. I just want my daughter home."
Detective Sergeant Sam Cunnington, who is now leading the investigation, said: “Due to the length of time Jaime has been missing, this is a very complex and difficult investigation.
“Although she was brought up in Westminster Road, in #Wellingborough, #Northamptonshire, Jaime spent a lot of time in #Grimsby where her best friend Joanne had family links.
"We have have gone over more than 500 of Jaime’s letters, diaries and notes.
“From those, we have put together a list of the names of those she was closest to and our hope is that by sharing them today someone may be able to provide a link to other friends she may have been in contact with.”
A full list and more details of the case can be found here: Fresh appeal in case of woman who went missing 28 years ago | Humberside Police
If you remember Jaime, if you’re one of the people named in the list of friends and haven’t yet spoken to us, or you have information you think could help us find her, please get in touch.
You can call us on 101 or email mctnorthbank@humberside.pnn.police.uk.
If you would rather not give your name, you can call or text 116000 to speak with Missing People.

Is she a victim of Ian Huntley who was also a resident of Grimsby in 1993?

Huntley was nearly 20 years old at the time. He started dating younger girls at school. Crimes against women were recorded in the late 90s. But not all of his crimes would have been recorded as they wouldn’t have been reported in the first place. He is also known for violent rape outside a nightclub attacking a woman as she walked home.

Could Ian Huntley have come across Jamie Cheesman when she left the house upset?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back