The Rape Allegations/Investigation

It very well could be forbidden. When all of this came to light 1st sgts. and Co's probably gathered their units up for a formation and told them they are forbidden to talk about it. Higher up's on the base could of sent out the memo to get the word out!! Not to mention they look extremely stupid right now so they are probably trying to lay low.

This sounds very plausible. More CYA.

The Marines charged Maria with Desertion when her mother and uncle showed up in NC to look for her. So far, I have not seen that the Marines have charged Cesar Laurean with either Unauthorized Absence or Desertion.

I think that Cesar and Christina Laurean are being protected by the USMC.

I have not seen one report from any Marine who knew CL in boot camp or in Jacksonville. I think that the people who could shed light on this case are being forced to remain silent, and that the Marine buddies who were at the BBQ will be prevented from speaking to LE.

Does any branch of Law Enforcement in The United States of America have the authority to go after the USMC????

The Marines charged Maria with Desertion when her mother and uncle showed up in NC to look for her. So far, I have not seen that the Marines have charged Cesar Laurean with either Unauthorized Absence or Desertion.

I think that Cesar and Christina Laurean are being protected by the USMC.

I have not seen one report from any Marine who knew CL in boot camp or in Jacksonville. I think that the people who could shed light on this case are being forced to remain silent, and that the Marine buddies who were at the BBQ will be prevented from speaking to LE.

Does any branch of Law Enforcement in The United States of America have the authority to go after the USMC????

The Marine Corps has no ability to prevent a Marine from speaking with civilian LE about a crime committed off the base. Also, they do not have the discretion to NOT list a Marine as being UA if he is absent without authorization. He has either reported for duty or he is UA; there isn't a gray area.

The Marines also do not have the ability to prevent a civilian spouse or friend of a Marine from speaking to the press about the BBQ. And if you think military wives would allow themselves to be dictated to by the base CO, you don't know military wives! Most likely, anyone who has knowledge of the Laureans' activities post-murder have been asked by civilian LE to not talk about their future testimony to the press.

I can't see any evidence that the Laureans are being protected by the Marines. Cesar is in Mexico, out of the Marines' jurisdiction. And Christina is being held in restriction of some kind on base while the Marines see if she is going to be charged by civilian LE. If not, I believe she will be charged by the military, which is why they are holding on to her.

What possible motive could the Marines have to protect these people? They are involved in the murder of a Marine.

Steadfast, the only motive I can think of is that they botched it big time. My hubby was raised in a military family and his father was at one time a base commander.
Hubby thinks that they goofed up by not notifying the city police department of the restraining order when she and Laurean moved off base. According to hubby they were required to do so and did not.
IMHO I think there is a big degree of ignoring women's complaints in all branches of the military. I personally know a woman who is a pychologist for the VA. She said that she is having a hard time herself dealing with all the women she now counsels who have been raped by our own military. She claims it's something the government tries to cover up. She says that some of these women will never be "normal" again. It's supposedly one of the best kept secrets in the military.

Steadfast, the only motive I can think of is that they botched it big time. My hubby was raised in a military family and his father was at one time a base commander.
Hubby thinks that they goofed up by not notifying the city police department of the restraining order when she and Laurean moved off base. According to hubby they were required to do so and did not.
IMHO I think there is a big degree of ignoring women's complaints in all branches of the military. I personally know a woman who is a pychologist for the VA. She said that she is having a hard time herself dealing with all the women she now counsels who have been raped by our own military. She claims it's something the government tries to cover up. She says that some of these women will never be "normal" again. It's supposedly one of the best kept secrets in the military.

I agree with you about the problems with the military in general and about the botching of the rape case. But those mistakes are already public knowledge.

The murder case is a different story. Protecting the Laureans in the murder case would not benefit the Marines in any way. Doing whatever they can to make sure either or both have to face justice would.

I agree with you about the problems with the military in general and about the botching of the rape case. But those mistakes are already public knowledge.

The murder case is a different story. Protecting the Laureans in the murder case would not benefit the Marines in any way. Doing whatever they can to make sure either or both have to face justice would.

The military did not make a 'mistake' in the prosecution of the rape case. Standard Operating Procedure was followed. In every instance that a woman has reported harrassment BY the military TO the military, a deliberate and criminal attempt has been made to humiliate, degrade, punish, and silence the victim, while at the same time cheering and back-slapping the aggressor.

I am amazed that a long time poster on a victims advocacy website would so steadfastly defend the military instead of the victim. 'Public Knowledge' is not a sufficient penalty. Criminal prosecution is in order.

The military did not make a 'mistake' in the prosecution of the rape case. Standard Operating Procedure was followed. In every instance that a woman has reported harrassment BY the military TO the military, a deliberate and criminal attempt has been made to humiliate, degrade, punish, and silence the victim, while at the same time cheering and back-slapping the aggressor.

If Cesar Laurean, who was headed to an Article 32 hearing, had thought he was going to get away with raping Maria, why would he kill her and try to burn away the DNA evidence? Why would he tell his friends he would run to Mexico, if he had reason to believe Marines are never found guilty of rape? Why would he have a civilian attorney preparing for his hearing, if he believed the military system would protect him? Why would Maria be harassed and intimidated by Laurean, his wife, and his friends to withdraw her accusation, if they did not believe the Marines would follow up on the case anyway?

The mistake I was referring to was not sending either Cesar or Maria to a temporary assignment elsewhere to protect her from harassment and intimidation by Cesar, his wife, and his friends. That would have been standard operating procedure, and there is no excuse that it wasn't followed, and I think it would have saved Maria's life.

I am not a "military" person, so I could be off base here (excuse the pun).

IMO: Both Maria and CL lived OFF BASE, if the Protective Order was only for on base premises, that means CL and company could continue to harass Maria off base with no repercussions, UNLESS, Maria had also filed her complaint with the local LE.

While on base, the PO was only (IIRC) for CL to stay away from Maria by 100 yards. To me, that is nothing!! I agree with Steadfast that either of them should have been reassigned to another base until the paternity of the father was established. (If that is what you were implying Steadfast?)

Did anyone catch the CSI episode yesterday (around 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time) that dealth with an Army Officer and the local LE wanting to inverview him? It was very interesting as if closely paralled this case in the Marines vs. Local LE jurisdictions over a military officer.

If Cesar Laurean, who was headed to an Article 32 hearing, had thought he was going to get away with raping Maria, why would he kill her and try to burn away the DNA evidence? Why would he tell his friends he would run to Mexico, if he had reason to believe Marines are never found guilty of rape? Why would he have a civilian attorney preparing for his hearing, if he believed the military system would protect him? Why would Maria be harassed and intimidated by Laurean, his wife, and his friends to withdraw her accusation, if they did not believe the Marines would follow up on the case anyway?

The mistake I was referring to was not sending either Cesar or Maria to a temporary assignment elsewhere to protect her from harassment and intimidation by Cesar, his wife, and his friends. That would have been standard operating procedure, and there is no excuse that it wasn't followed, and I think it would have saved Maria's life.

I totally agree with this post.

I don't understand why either CL or Maria was not sent to a post elsewhere until after the hearing.

But, other than that...what SHOULD the Marines have done? (And don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY, 100% think THAT should have happened.)

Before the hearing, it truly was a he said/she said. Should CL have been locked up? What evidence existed for charges to be filed? There were no witnesses. Since the report was made weeks after the fact there was no physical evidence. CL didn't confess. He didn't admit to having sex with Maria. Where was the proof, other than Maria's word, that he did?

As Steadfast said, CL didn't think the marines would stand behind him once there WAS evidence physical contact had occured.

My opinion.

Can he be extradited as AWOL without the murder charge being a consideration?

I might be mistaken, but at this point of time, CL has only been declared UA by the Marines.

FRMUSMC answered this question or one very similiar to it in one of these threads. I've been trying to find it, but no such luck so far.

I might be mistaken, but at this point of time, CL has only been declared UA by the Marines.

FRMUSMC answered this question or one very similiar to it in one of these threads. I've been trying to find it, but no such luck so far.

Not sure we would hear about a change of status. Here's a clip of part of the the procedure to deal with UA/deserter status and a link to the whole paperwork process. As you can see, there's a lot of filling out and mailing of forms.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...er&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&client=firefox-a

[FONT=&quot]Command Responsibilities[/FONT]
§[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]When member goes UA[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Submit the Daily Absentee Report no later than 0900 to PSD with the name, pay grade and Social Security Number (SSN) of the unauthorized absentee. Include date, hour UA commenced and whether person was absent over leave, liberty or UA.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Send letter to next-of-kin on 10th day of UA. Ensure copy of letter is sent to local reserve Chaplain and PSD in accordance with MILPERSMAN 1600-040.
  • [FONT=&quot]Submit Report of Declaration of Desertion message to Navy Absentee Collection and Information Center (NACIC) Great Lakes on the 31st day of UA per MILPERSMAN. If the 31st day falls on a weekend/holiday, submit the report on the first working day following the 30th [/FONT][FONT=&quot]day of UA. Forward a copy to PSD for filing in the member’s service record.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Prepare the Deserter/Absentee Wanted by the Armed Forces (DD Form 553) and mail it to NACIC Great Lakes. Additionally, forward a copy of Incident/Complaint Report (OPNAV 5527/1), copy of member’s Page 2 (Record of Emergency Data), enlistment contract, photograph of member (if available), and copy of latest leave papers. Provide PSD a copy of DD 553 for filing.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Prepare the Inventory of Personal Effects (Lost – Abandoned – Unclaimed) (NAVSUP Form 29) per NAVSUP P-485 Volume 1 (Afloat Supply) and send personal effects to: Cheatham Annex, Naval Supply Center, Norfolk, VA. Forward a copy to PSD with member’s medical and dental[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]records.[/FONT]

STEADFAST:

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is DEFINATELY a difference between the Marines classifying you as UA or as AWOL. Right?

STEADFAST:

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is DEFINATELY a difference between the Marines classifying you as UA or as AWOL. Right?

No. Well, yes. There is no such thing as AWOL in the Navy or Marines. It's UA and then deserter.

AAAAAAAAAAAh, that definately clarifies that issue for me! Thanks! So we know he is listed as UA as of 1/11, so next comes deserter, after I am assuming of so many days off base...........

Is that when the paperwork comes in that you had posted earlier?

btw, did you get my email?

AAAAAAAAAAAh, that definately clarifies that issue for me! Thanks! So we know he is listed as UA as of 1/11, so next comes deserter, after I am assuming of so many days off base...........

Is that when the paperwork comes in that you had posted earlier?

btw, did you get my email?

There's a bunch of paperwork for UA, and then a bunch more for deserter.
The first part of the paperwork has been completed for sure. Plus, the 10-day letter must have gone out.

Even with just a UA, he would be facing a court martial, jail time, and a dishonorable discharge. Of course, that could only be accomplished AFTER he serves life imprisonment for murder. :behindbar

Steadfast:

That "10 day letter" then must be what I had written in the timeline was about. I messed it up with the contact of Maria's mother. Will need to correct that.

What would he be labeled as while he is in prison? He would no longer be UA or a deserter IMO, unless the deserter still stands because he is not officially on base?? Refresh my memory, who GETS to prosecute him first???

Steadfast:

That "10 day letter" then must be what I had written in the timeline was about. I messed it up with the contact of Maria's mother. Will need to correct that.

What would he be labeled as while he is in prison? He would no longer be UA or a deserter IMO, unless the deserter still stands because he is not officially on base?? Refresh my memory, who GETS to prosecute him first???

He'd be labled "," and he would be in the military while he was in prison. When he got out, he would be dishonorably discharged.

I think who prosecutes him first is something they work out between military and civilian authorities. In this case, I believe the military has said they will wait their turn until after the civilians are through with him. However, he would not be allowed to be free on bail or anything. It would be either civilian jail or military pre-trial detention while he awaits trial.

This is my first post here.This case is what originally led me to this site.Fantastic site by the way.I'm a former Marine who was stationed at Lejeune my last two years in the Corps.I'm sickened about what happened to Maria and her baby.I also believe that the Marine Corps dropped the ball during the investigation.I served and was honorably discharged.Please don't lump all of us male and female who have served into the same catagory as CL and his wife.He is neither a marine or a man.

STEADFAST:

AWOL and UA are the same thing.Just two differant terms.The military loves acronyms.UA=USMC=unauthorized abscence,AWOL=USA=absent without leave.UA is for someone not reporting to thier duty station without that absence being authorized.It can run up to 30 days.After 30 you go into deserter status.
I noticed that there were some questions about the way USMC operates and I can hopefully clear some thing up for you guys on that.Feel free to ask and if I know the answer,I'll let ya know

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back