Zodiac 340 Cryptogram Solution

SOLUTION TO THE ZODIAC 340 SYMBOL CODE - GENERAL ANALYSIS

What appears below is what I think is the correct first stage solution to the 340. I did not create this solution. It was based on the work of Robert Graysmith and appeared in the 1979 FBI file, and was then worked on by some posters at the old Zodiac Killer board - Kite, Claston, Ed, Sean, Obiwan and a few others. I do not know if all now think this is largely a correct solution, however, I feel it is a correct first stage solution. Kite and a few dozen other researchers also think this is the correct solution.

zodiac28.jpg

Many have noted points of similarity between the Zodiac and Jack the Ripper, and have wondered if the Zodiac was inspired by or copied some aspects of the earlier famed serial killer, who also wrote taunting letters to the police and left graffiti at a crime scene. Both Jack the Ripper and Zodiac demanded their words appear in the newspaper without changes or edits. Both spoke of removing "female parts".

Zodiac also used other similar words and phrases as Jack the Ripper - JTR spoke of his "funny little games", while Zodiac spoke of the "game"; both JTR and Zodiac taunted the police would "never catch" them; both signed a letter "Yours Truly"; JTR said in a letter he would have the "good ole times" again while Zodiac talked of the "good times" he had in Vallejo; and a man abducting a coed in Riverside in November 1966 spoke of the recent murder of Cheri Jo Bates and said it was safe for the coed to be with him as "I'm not Jack the Ripper".

Their was a famous Jack the Ripper letter addressed to the head of a local citizens watch group, Mr. Lusk. At the top of the letter, Jack the Ripper wrote it was "From Hell".

z_jack10.jpg

As Robert Graysmith, Zander Kite and myself look at the 340, we think that Zodiac started with a similar salutation to local SF Chronicle columnist Herb Caen.

Just as Jack the Ripper told Lusk he is "From Hell", Zodiac tells Caen that he "Gives Them Hell Too".

(Zodiac does some word scrambles and anagrams to increase difficulty, sometimes creating alternate or hidden meanings. This opening line literally reads, perhaps alluding to the task of solving this code, that it is HERCEAN BIG. A task worthy of HERCULES, a difficult job, is called HERCULEAN, and here we have a shortened version HERCEAN, followed by BIG.)

Zodiac seems fixated on SEEING things, and hidden names and visions.

As you decode the 340 and translate that first line as HERC EANB (HERB CAEN) I GIVE THE HELL TOO, on the 4th line the words SEE A NAME start to appear, and on the amazing 8th line appears THESE FOOLSHALL SEE.

What is it that we "shall see"? Right before SEE A NAME on the 4th line, on the 3rd line we see SLEU(TH) THEO. THEO is Greek for God. Is Zodiac proclaiming himself God, or mocking God? Or is THEO a clue to his name?

Below is the first stage solution with some of the key sentences and vertical/diagonal words marked.

Not only does this proposed solution give clear words like I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, SEE A NAME and THESE FOOLSHALL SEE, I also discovered that key Zodiac words like LIST and BOMBS appear diagonally! To me that is absolute confirmation that this is the intended first stage solution of the 340. It is impossible that key words Zodiac used would appear by accident like that, together, correct spelling, no anagrams. We also see THEO, which is Greek for GOD, and on a vertical downward under the "M" in BOMBS we see DEO, which is Latin for GOD.

zodiac32.jpg

Nobody - not Graysmith or anyone at the Zodiac Killer board - ever noticed or found or claimed the words that I mark here. Like BOMBS and LIST appearing diagonally. Two key Zodiac words - what are the odds that happens by coincidence? Then there other words noticed by Kite and myself. Forms of restraints like BARS, LEASH, STALLS, TIES, BALL. And words that apply to restraints, like TAKE and LOSE.

I then think that parts of this first stage solution needs a Caesar Code analysis with the 0-3-6-9 shift values that Zodiac kept giving us as clues. But that is a seperate topic.

It is impossible these words all appear by mere chance. They cannot be fabrications or forces by Graysmith because he never noticed them. So either all these happen by chance - mathematically impossible - or they were placed there by Zodiac and this is a correct first stage solution.

And here is the same solution with additional words marked.

zodiac10.jpg

THE KEY SEQUENCE:

A close up on a series of amazing word finds in the 340 solution.

L....S....E....*....I....L....U.....E....H....S....T.....H....E....O....L....H....S
S....E....E....A....N..A...M....E....B....W....E.....O....L....L....R....K....E
S....E....I....L.....L....L....F....M....I.....A.....P.....I....L....L....S....G....A
E....M....R....N....P....A....O....D....E...M....A....G....P....C....E....T....T
O....A....L....S....T....B....N....E....U...*.....S.....H....B....L....L....E....I
..................S
............I
......L

So we have "LIST" leading to the "T" in "A L S T B", a probable anagram for "BLAST" (a word Zodiac used, something like 'when I have my BLAST'), with the "B" then forming a diagonal "BOMBS". Which leads us to "THEO", then "SEE A NAME". We have a vertical SEAT, a place a student can be confined to, thus a type of restraint. Also have a backwards "GAME".

The words BLAST, BOMBS, LIST and GAME are absolutely key words that Zodiac used repeatedly.

It is impossible that they would all appear by chance. They serve as validation that this is indeed the correct solution.

Robert Graysmith then tried to force a solution out of some parts of the solution that were not as clear, because he did not realize that some those parts require a seperate second stage analysis using a Caesar Code method with letter shifts of 0, 3, 6 and 9.

What you state about reading words vertically and diagonally does seem not only possible, but intentional.

Zodiac's cryptograms were very carefully written in grids of 17 characters and were carefully printed so that they were in a grid format.

It could be the reason that not all of the deciphered "words" make sense when read from left to right as in reading a book.

Could it be that these diagonal words are placed to set a new cipher order to further decode the message? Count the characters between each letter in one of your diagonal words, and this might give you a new shift value.

Another possibility might be to remove those words from the grid, slide all of the remaining letters into position and see if the reordering allows more words to appear.

Numbers seem to play a major part in Zodiac's codes.

You raise a number of interesting points, but as it is late, I will have to respond to most of them tomorrow!

Briefly, the proposed solution posted above as an attachment, the one that begins with "HERCEANBIGIVETHEM" as the first line, is the RAW translation done by Robert Graysmith, before he tries to "force" a full solution, with minor improvements by some later researchers.

What is odd is that parts of it seem coherent and parts seem like gibberish. I and some others maintain that the gibberish is just a first stage, which becomes coherent with a Caesar Code analysis.

The "0-3-6-9" was written by Zodiac on the Phillips 66 Map he sent in [see attachment], the one with Mt. Diablo (Devil=666), and Zodiac wrote "69 630" on the car door at the Lake Berryessa crime site [see attachment], and the 0-3-6-9 appears throughout the case as a clue.

For more detail see: http://unazod.com/Wilks_32.htm

Your idea about "turning points" or shift points is IMO correct, and I don't have that fully figured out yet! If you look at the video above, you see Ted used a multi stage code with shifts, and they went horizontal, vertical and then diagonal.

I think because the first Zodiac code was solved fairly quickly, Zodiac made the 340 his masterwork, and it was much harder.
attachment.php

I know nothing about the zodiac case.
.(Though I did post on it once at one time).
But perhaps instead of Sept under the 7 and 4 maybe it should be a 9 9 then 27, or as the 69 next to the 27 may indicate, the 9 9 should be upside down to make it 6 6 27. Which the 9 in 69 after the 27 may implied to read it as such.

The 630 i see more of a face then number.
the letter 3 was drawn first, then the extra line was added to give it a mouth appearance. I see it as the 6 being the back of a head, with the round part being the ear. At top we have a eye for the first dot in the time, then a long nose and long chin, with the mouth showing, and what looks like a tongue sticking out of its mouth as if taunting the police.

I have notice in the other photo of the 340 thing.
He wrote it with letters going straight, upside down and backwards.
If you take a mirror and get the reflection of the writing on the car door but especially the 340 letter,and look at the writings in the mirror, you will see the letters and so forth that are backwards etc.

340-symbol%2Bcypher%2Bcode.preview.jpg

The above may all be old news, and if so please just disregard this posting. I just felt compelled to post my thoughts on this, even though it is purely conjecture based on nothing more then speculation on my part.

Thats interesting. I can sorta see the possible face you are talking about.

Some of the symbols are backwards letters. A Sherlock Holmes story had a code that needed to be put in front of a mirror to solve. And in the Graysmith proposed solution, some of the words appear vertically, diagonally and even backwards, like E M A G, for GAME.

INTERESTING THOUGHTS FROM WWW.UNAZOD.COM POSTER KITE:

I believe the solution is correct. There could be something to the Jack the Ripper/From Hell parallel, but even if so, I believe it would fall back into the ancient god(s) theme that seems to run thru-out. So, that might be like a sub-topic to a topic sort-of-thing, or otherwise let's call it "interweaving themes".

I would recommend viewing(and then gauging) the 340 cipher as an escalation of the 3-PART-CIPHER. For example, we have, possibly, an unknown 18 that perhaps Caesar shifts to Theodore J. Kaczynski. But, in my opinion, the possible Caesar shift in the 340 cipher to Theo Kaczynski is much more remarkable. The number pattern and breaking up of the name. The way you can plainly see THEO, and that followed by SEE A NAME. A diagonal BOMBS runs up to it. To me, it seems a lot more daring. It sort of makes the previous (3 PART cipher--unknown 18-- Caesar shift) seem a bit bland. Possibly, the 340 cipher Caesar shift(Theo Kaczynski) arguably involves much more nerve, though not necessarily when we factor in the escalation in difficulty to solve.

Whereas the 3 part cipher may have a few hidden words and perhaps themes and also the unknown 18, the 340 cipher seems possibly laced with hidden words and their matching themes in all directions. The jumbled style of the 340 would allow for more freedom of cryptic, in a manner of speaking.

I believe the more that Zodiac wanted to hide, the more degraded the straight text became, and thus, in my opinion, possibly, a drug angle was included to misdirect in two senses. Misdirection the investigation(or police) and to misdirect the code breaker into thinking the degraded straight text was a result of drug use and thus mask the, perhaps, real reason for the weakened text--(hidden cryptics).

Oh, one last thing for now. If you match up where the possible 340 cryptic reading: MAGPC BLLE HALL. Those are on 3 lines (Line 6,7,8 ) in a row in close proximity, in my opinion, of some interest possibly as compared to where Kaczynski once taught: Campbell Hall. But, check out the same area in the 3 PART CIPHER!! Is there some kind of co-ordination there??

RESPONSE FROM AK WILKS:

POSSIBLE REFERENCE TO CAMPBELL HALL MATH LAB - WHERE THEODORE KACZYNSKI TAUGHT - IN THE GRAYSMITH SOLUTION TO ZODIAC 340 CODE

campbe10.jpg

POSSIBLE MISDIRECTIONS AND RED HERRINGS (?) - DRUG REFERENCES - PILLS, EAT LSD, TAKE (LSD) CUBE, LAUDANUM - IN ZODIAC 340 SOLUTION

zodiac11.jpg

POSSIBLE CLASSICAL AND RELIGIOUS THEMES - GREEK, LATIN, GERMANIC/NORSE - HERC, I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, THEO, TED, DEO, ASK GOD - IN ZODIAC 340

In the 340 code solution, the modified Graysmith, the word "ASK" appears, followed by "DLA".

"DLA" with a Caesar application of "+3, +3, +3" is "GOD".

TJK once signed a letter :"HERCULES".

Hercules beat his enemies to death with a wood club. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:0064MC.jpg

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Antonio_Pollaiuolo_002.jpg.

We know that both Kaczynski and the Zodiac had an interest in Norse - German culture. Germanic tribes worshiped Hercules, and adopted his wood club as an AMULET. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules'_Club_(amulet)

Zodiac mentioned a "Magic Amulet" in his Astrology card.

zodiac12.jpg

A man who may have been Zodiac told a Riverside coed he could "beat her to death with this piece of wood". The Original Night Stalker attacked couples with a flashlight, wore a hood, had pre-cut lengths of rope, ordered the female to bind the male, then tied them both. One couple he beat to death with a piece of wood, a log, and another couple was probably killed by a wood object, as one a single female, and a lone female was also beaten with a wood log and survived. He placed (unintentionally or probably intentionally) a woodchip between the dead woman's legs. TJK was obsessed with wood and wood references, put wood parts in all of his bombs, including twigs and chips in some.

THEO is Greek for God. DEO is Latin for God. On the German wood amulets, some were inscribed DEO HER(CULIS).

H E R C E A N B I G I V E T H E M
H E L L T O O
B T S A L T E S E H
L S E - . I L U E H S T H E O L H S
S E E A N A M E B W E O L L R K E
S E I . L L L F M I T P I L L S G A
E M R N P A O D E M A H P C E T T
O A L S T B N E U I S H B L L E I
T H E S E F O O L S H A L L S E E
M T I L K L U R E T L ? S A A S K
(GOD)U B L N S L O E A T P L S D
U L R A A L E I T A L E K I T S O
E T V A R S I E T T A I L L L L T
L A V E S S O L H I A P L V T N M
R A H P M N E A E A E L V B A L L

REVISED AND IMPROVED WORK ON THE ZODIAC 340

SOLUTION TO THE ZODIAC 340 SYMBOL CODE - START AT THE BEGINING - IF WE CAN DECIPHER THE FIRST LINE IT MAY PROVIDE THE KEY TO SOLVE THE ENTIRE CODE

What appears below is the raw unsolved Zodiac 340 Code and what I think is the correct first stage solution to the Zodiac 340 Code. I did not create this solution. It was based on the work of Robert Graysmith and appeared in the 1979 FBI file, and was then worked on by some posters at the old Zodiac Killer board - Kite, Claston, Ed, Sean, Obiwan and a few others. Kite, myself and a few dozen other researchers at www.unazod.com, aetv cold case files, www.zodiackillersite.forummotion.com and elsewhere also think this is the correct solution. There are no cheats in this solution. Every one symbol translates to one letter. When you solve the first four lines, a lot of the rest of the code is filled in. And by the time you solve line eight, most of the rest of the code is filled in. The code solution provides clear English langauge words and phrases, and key Zodiac concepts and themes.

zodiac15.jpg
zodiac28.jpg

The Zodiac 340 symbol code has become the Mt. Everst of unsolved codes. When it first appeared, it defied solution by the FBI Code Unit, the NSA and the military. Then and in the years since, no clear and convincing solution has been forthcoming, despite the efforts of the FBI, supercomputers and hundreds of professional and amateur codebreakers.

The likely way to solve the 340 is the same way as Don and Bettye Harden solved the Zodiac 408 Code. And that is by applying ideas and insights into Zodiac, his mindset, obsessions and likely vocabulary. And to solve the first line, which then provides a key to solving the entire code.

Many have noted points of similarity between the Zodiac and Jack the Ripper, and have wondered if the Zodiac was inspired by or copied some aspects of the earlier famed serial killer, who also wrote taunting letters to the police and left graffiti at a crime scene. Both Jack the Ripper and Zodiac demanded their words appear in the newspaper without changes or edits. Both spoke of removing "female parts".

Zodiac also used other similar words and phrases as Jack the Ripper - JTR spoke of his "funny little games", while Zodiac spoke of the "game"; both JTR and Zodiac taunted the police would "never catch" them; both signed a letter "Yours Truly"; JTR said in a letter he would have the "good ole times" again while Zodiac talked of the "good times" he had in Vallejo; and a man who may have been Zodiac abducting a coed in Riverside in November 1966 spoke of the recent murder of Cheri Jo Bates and said it was safe for the coed to be with him as "I'm not Jack the Ripper".

Their was a famous Jack the Ripper letter addressed to the head of a local citizens watch group, Mr. Lusk. At the top of the letter, Jack the Ripper wrote it was "From Hell".

z_jack10.jpg

As Robert Graysmith, Zander Kite and myself look at the 340, we think that Zodiac started with a similar salutation to local SF Chronicle columnist Herb Caen.

Just as Jack the Ripper told Lusk he is "From Hell", Zodiac tells Caen that he "Gives Them Hell Too".

(Zodiac does some word scrambles and anagrams to increase difficulty, sometimes creating alternate or hidden meanings. This opening line literally reads, perhaps alluding to the task of solving this code, that it is HERCEAN BIG. A task worthy of HERCULES, a difficult job, is called HERCULEAN, and here we have a shortened version HERCEAN, followed by BIG. And Zodiac suspect and then SF Bay area resident Theodore Kaczynski used HERCULES as an alais when he was a young man.)

Zodiac seems fixated on SEEING things, and hidden names and visions.

Don and Bettye Harden, using their thoughts and analysis of what Zodiac would likely say, correctly guessed the opening line of the Zodiac 408 Code as "I like killing". That provided the key to solving the rest of the 408 code. And so it is the case here as well with the 340. The opening line provides the key to solving the code.

As you decode the 340 and translate that first line as HERC EANB (HERB CAEN) I GIVE THE HELL TOO, on the 4th line the words SEE A NAME start to appear, and on the amazing 8th line appears THESE FOOLSHALL SEE.

What is it that we "shall see"? Right before SEE A NAME on the 4th line, on the 3rd line we see SLEU(TH) THEO. THEO is Greek for God. Is Zodiac proclaiming himself God, or mocking God? Or is THEO a clue to his name? Perhaps a clue to the name THEODORE Kaczynski, who like the Zodiac wrote taunting letters to police, demanded his words appear on the front page of the newspaper, designed bombs and threatened mass transit, was a serial killer and lived in the SF Bay area in the time frame.

Below is the first stage solution with some of the key sentences and vertical/diagonal words marked.

Not only does this proposed solution give clear words like I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, SEE A NAME and THESE FOOLSHALL SEE, I also discovered that key Zodiac words like LIST and BOMBS appear diagonally! To me that is absolute confirmation that this is the intended first stage solution of the 340. It is impossible that key words Zodiac used would appear by accident like that, together, correct spelling, no anagrams. We also see THEO, which is Greek for GOD, and on a vertical downward under the "M" in BOMBS we see DEO, which is Latin for GOD.

zodiac32.jpg

Nobody - not Graysmith or anyone at the Zodiac Killer board - ever noticed or found or claimed the words that I mark here. Like BOMBS and LIST appearing diagonally, and GAME backwards. No anagrams, correct spelling. Three key Zodiac words - what are the odds that happens by coincidence? Then there other words noticed by Kite and myself. Forms of restraints like BARS, LEASH, STALLS, TIES, BALL. And words that apply to restraints, like TAKE and LOSE. In the Unabomber Manifesto and other writings, Theodore Kaczynski mentioned restraints over half a dozen times, including LEASH, as part of his theory about the modern technological society imposing control on people.

I then think that parts of this first stage solution needs a Caesar Code analysis with the 0-3-6-9 shift values that Zodiac kept giving us as clues. But that is a seperate topic.

It is impossible these words all appear by mere chance. They cannot be fabrications or forces by Graysmith because he never noticed them. So either all these happen by chance - mathematically impossible - or they were placed there by Zodiac and this is a correct first stage solution.

And here is the same solution with additional words marked.

zodiac10.jpg

No other 340 attempt has results anything like this. It is consistent, logical and follows basic "ETA" letter frequency code solve and word solve principles. Kite told me he started from scratch and essentially came up with the same basic first stage solution Graysmith did. So forget whatever you think about Graysmith, look at the code, it works!

Unazod poster Zander Kite found the letters to angram FIND running right alongside BOMBS. And Zodiac would talk about hiding BOMBS, so that is BOMBS to FIND.

So FIND could apply to BOMBS, as in the hidden bombs. Or, it could apply to the SEE A NAME question, in the sense of FIND THEO. And the FIND leads right to THEO, and right after that is SEE A NAME. All a coincidence? Perhaps, but highly unlikely. THEO is Greek for GOD, and also short for THEODORE.

Also, looking at that possible FIND line, it continues as KURT. KURT doesn't have any particular meaning in re Zodiac or Kaczynski, as far as I know, but Ted's father went by the name TURK.

Also, see on the 6th line, in the middle, EMAG, straight backwards that is a key Zodiac word, GAME.

Of course we have the incredible number of restraints - BARS LEASH STALLS TIES BALL - and verbs that can apply to restraints - TAKE LOSE.

The "Confession" letter in the Bates case also talked about having a "BALL."

And there is an anagram for MATH.

The most incredible of all, IMO, is the stunning and connected DUEL LIST BOMBS THEO SEE A NAME, plus going backwards from the "B" in BOMBS an anagram for BLAST. Zodiac talked about a "little LIST" and he talked about "BOMBS" AND "BLAST", and here we have LIST going into BOMBS with a BLAST. With THEO, then SEE A NAME.

I will go on record, absolutely NO WAY that all happens by chance, that was intended by the maker of the 340 Code, and that is Zodiac. This is his message.

The we have I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, THEO, then SEE A NAME, then THESE FOOLSHALL SEE. All relevant messages, coherent, no anagrams, consistent themes of seeing hidden things.

THE KEY SEQUENCE:

A close up on a series of amazing word finds in the 340 solution.

L....S....E....*....I....L....U.....E....H....S....T.....H....E....O....L....H....S
S....E....E....A....N..A...M....E....B....W....E.....O....L....L....R....K....E
S....E....I....L.....L....L....F....M....I.....A.....P.....I....L....L....S....G....A
E....M....R....N....P....A....O....D....E...M....A....G....P....C....E....T....T
O....A....L....S....T....B....N....E....U...*.....S.....H....B....L....L....E....I
..................S
............I
......L

So we have "LIST" leading to the "T" in "A L S T B", a probable anagram for "BLAST" (a word Zodiac used, something like 'when I have my BLAST'), with the "B" then forming a diagonal "BOMBS". Which leads us to "THEO", then "SEE A NAME". We also have a vertical SEAT, a place a student can be confined to, thus a type of restraint. Following SEAT is TIES. We also have a perfect backwards "GAME".

The words BLAST, BOMBS, LIST and GAME are absolutely key words that Zodiac used repeatedly.

It is impossible that they would all appear by chance. They serve as validation that this is indeed the correct solution.

Robert Graysmith then tried to force a solution out of some parts of the solution that were not as clear, because he did not realize that some those parts require a seperate second stage analysis using a Caesar Code method with letter shifts of 0, 3, 6 and 9.

The last version I posted has most of the "cryptic word finds" discovered by Kite, myself and others.

This proposed solution by famous author Robert Graysmith ("Zodiac" book and movie) existed for 30 years before Kite and I noticed the existence of vertical, diagonal and backwards words.

At the top of my post (next to the 340 raw) is a "Virgin, Unmarked" proposed solution. I would suggest copying and saving that, then open in "Paint" and you can circle any word finds.

If you can't do that perhaps you can identify what you mention. The code and solution has 20 horizontal rows and 17 vertical columns. So, for example, you can say that "SEE A NAME" appears on the 4th row, starts at the 1st column and goes to the 8th column.

Can you either circle or identify "LEO"? And "I SHOT PIG"?

An SFPD Officer (Richard Radetich) was killed in June 1970, and Zodiac hinted at responsibility for it in a letter. He also threatened to kill police in earlier letters.

Of course in any letter matrix some unintentional three letter words will be formed by accident, and that is no doubt true here for some words. But when you see this many four and five letter words, and many of them relate to Zodiac concepts and themes, plus clear phrases and sentences, it is obvioulsy intentional.

QUOTE...What appears below is the raw unsolved Zodiac 340 Code and what I think is the correct first stage solution to the Zodiac 340 Code. I did not create this solution. It was based on the work of Robert Graysmith and appeared in the 1979 FBI file...END OF QUOTE

Can you provide a link that connects gray-smith with the correct first stage solution?
I cannot find one.

But i did find a link that takes you to a site with tools, that will allow one to try and decipher the 340.
http://oranchak.com/zodiac/webtoy/

And the following link will take you to a u-tube channel with several videos on the case.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/zfacts#p/u/27/JiES-U9QRig"]YouTube - zfacts's Channel[/ame]

The above is for persons whom know very little about the case.

zodiac28.jpg

Until you can link this box to any official LE investigation documents. I am going to call this a bait box with a bunch of lures in it.

Can you prove with links, this is not your solution?

I cannot locate this box anywhere, but right here on web-sleuths.

FRUSTRATING.

To be clear, I am not saying that anyone in Law Enforcement yet endorses this solution. They do not.

I have sent the FBI this new work on the 340 and the unsolved 18, and just last week got a response from Daniel Olson, head of the FBI Code Unit, that they are looking at it.

The FBI rightly rejected the "FINAL" solution of Graysmith to the 340, as much of it does not use clear langauge and sounds forced compared to the solution to the first Zodiac code.

Robert Graysmith discusses his solution to the 340 in his book "Zodiac".

His final solution seems partially forced and wrong in parts, and was rejected by the FBI. Though Graysmith says two experts from the American Cryptography Association endorsed it.

You can see how Kite, Ed and other researchers wanted to look at the RAW TRANSLATION of the Graysmith solution, before he tried to force words.

See:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/mba/zc/26.html

The RAW TRANSLATION used parts of the Harden Key to the first Zodiac Code, correct "ETA" letter frequency code solve and word solve principles. It has amazing lines like HERCEANB (HERB CAEN) I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, (SLEUTH) THEO, SEE A NAME, THESE FOOLSHALL SEE. Many thought this RAW TRANSLATION, with a very few modifications, was very likely correct, in all or in large part anyway.

And then Kite and I discovered something that Graysmith and even the FBI missed. Key Zodiac words like LIST, BOMBS, GAME and other words like DUEL, LEASH, BARS and BALL appear vertically, diagonally and backwards - correct spelling, no anagrams, often grouped. This is proof that this is the correct and intended solution, as it is near mathematically impossible for so many relevant words to appear by chance.

You can see below my thoughts on the solution in the 1979 FBI file, and a link to the FBI website that has the solution, and the amazing repeated references to a suspect name therein.

--------------------

Some of my critics say me and Kite might intentionally or even unintentionally "force" a solution to get Ted Kaczynski's name.

The fact is I had a more than decade long on and off interest in the case with no POI when I really got into the codes. I thought of Ted Kaczynski as a political terrorist, not a serial killer. It was when his name came up in the codes, again and again, that I got more interested in him as a suspect.

But for those critics, knowing the Graysmith obsession with Allen, and knowing this was done in 1979, how do we explain the names showing up in this decode???

To me this is an absolute smoking gun.

Here is the raw FBI file, go to page 102 for the start of the discussion. Of course the FBI rightly dismissed the final version of the forced Graysmith solution. Unless Zodiac got struck by lightning and got a closed head injury, he don't talk like that.

But the raw translation, before Graysmith tries to force it, was largely correct and done by generally accepted code principles. It has been largely verified by the work of researchers on the old ZK board like Kite, Obiwan, Ed and others.

http://foia.fbi.gov/zodiac/zodiac5.pdf

You can see it does indeed say "THEO" right before "SEE A NAME" - almost two decades before Theodore Kaczynski was known to the public!

The 2nd line in the first stage solution in the 1970's FBI file here does say "I Give Them Hell Tooo Ted". Of course Ted Kaczynski would later become a major Zodiac suspect, but nobody knew his name in 1979...

And the last line is translated as "SOME MAIL KT". "KT"? "Kaczynski, Ted"? Which could also read "SOME MAIL TK".

Incredible that in this 1979 decode attempt, which Kite and others have confirmed is largely correct in its use of Harden Key and general ETA frequency and word solve principles, we have two clear and two ambigous references to Ted Kaczynski!

Looking at this in 1979, an observor might conclude - for a working hypothesis - that Zodiac may be named THEO or THEODORE, nicknamed TED and have as initials KT or TK.

Amazing!

And as a youth, Ted also used HERCules as an alias. He signed a letter as HERCULES.

So right here in the 1979 FBI proposed 340 solution we have the first 4 letters of his alias - HERC - and also the first 4 letters of his name - THEO!

I have yet to see anyone at zkf or anywhere else explain how these names and clues pop up repeatedly in this 1979 FBI attempt.

And for the records, upon further analysis, I do not know with 100% certainty that this FBI file version is from Graysmith. The FBI has blacked out the name. It could be from someone else, who came up with a solution very similar to what Graysmith did. That is possible, as Kite did this from scratch and also came up with a solution almost identical to Graysmith's. But the fact that the solutions - Graysmith and 1979 FBI file - happen at the same time and are nearly identical, leads me to think they are very likely both from Graysmith.

fbi_fi10.jpg

fbi_fi14.jpg

fbi_fi12.jpg

----------------

Basically this is the RAW TRANSLATION of the Graysmith solution, with a very few modifications and clean ups done by Ed, Kite and some other ZK board posters.

Not only does this proposed solution give clear words like I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, SEE A NAME and THESE FOOLSHALL SEE, I also discovered that key Zodiac words like LIST and BOMBS appear diagonally! To me that is absolute confirmation that this is the intended first stage solution of the 340. It is impossible that key words Zodiac used would appear by accident like that, together, correct spelling, no anagrams.

zodiac32.jpg

Nobody - not Graysmith or anyone at the Zodiac Killer board - ever noticed or found or claimed the words that I mark here. Like BOMBS and LIST appearing diagonally, and GAME backwards. No anagrams, correct spelling. Three key Zodiac words - what are the odds that happens by coincidence? Then there other words noticed by Kite and myself. Forms of restraints like BARS, LEASH, STALLS, TIES, BALL. And words that apply to restraints, like TAKE and LOSE. In the Unabomber Manifesto and other writings, Theodore Kaczynski mentioned restraints over half a dozen times, including LEASH, as part of his theory about the modern technological society imposing control on people.

I have been tormented for the past two days, trying to solve that sentence.

The one about
THE PIG I SHOT.

I wrote that in about 10 different ways, until i had them delete it.

The correct answer to your letter box had nothing to do with shooting a pig.

Here is the correct sentence.
And as far as i know, it has never been discovered until now.

-TOSHTATHEIPG
THATPIGTOSHE

It is from the 1978 letter to the editor.

Dear Editor
This is the Zodiac speaking I am back with you. Tell herb caen I am here, I have always been here. That city pig toschi is good but I am bu [crossed out] smarter and better he will get tired then leave me alone. I am waiting for a good movie about me. Who will play me. I am now in control of all things.
yours truly:

THAT CITY PIG TOSCHI

He left out the CITY, and no c in TOSCHI.
And changed the I to E.

Its still the same sounding word
TOSCHI
TOSHE

Typical zodiac writing yes?

And your herb caen is correct.
It is in the letter also.

HERCEANB
HERBCAEN

That is where the FBI got that name from in 79
from the 78 letter. But this letter box was not around i don't believe then as it is now to see the
THAT CITY PIG TOSCHI

Which makes me believe that the letter from 78 was written by the same person whom created the original 340 years earlier.
And they both were written by the
ZODIAC

It is my hunch, that if you and others will look at the letters written AFTER the original 340.
You will find other words and sentences in your letter box.
This is the Zodiac way of staying in touch, and letting LE know it is he.
You will solve this message, from his letters he wrote afterward.
It is he in fact, that wanted to solve it for you, over time years, by sending you letters with words and sentences that you could find in the original 340. And to know it was him.

That is interesting. I am studying what you and others have found, some good stuff! Both "THE PIG I SHOT" and the "TOSHI" reference may be valid. I think there is a lot hidden in these codes, possible clues to be found.

zodiac20.jpg

In the film "The Most Dangerous Game", Count Z talks of hunting humans as "Outdoor CHESS". There is a possible anagram here, though it is a little too dispersed for me to stand by it - it is not as tight or logical as the "restraints" and "seeing" themes, but maybe still worth noting.

Look at the very first vertical line - the first column, it gives us these words and letters, in this order:

H H L S S E O T M D U E L A S I R L I C

We already have DUEL and SIR naturally. With anagram application we can have:

H H L S S E O T M D U E L A S I R L I C

To create:

TO A CHESS DUEL SIR HILL M or

A CHESS DUEL SIR HILL MT or

CHESS DUEL SIR HILL MOAT

FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY, in the fifth column as seen above we have:

E T I N L P T E K B A R S N E L E A S H

With two types of RESTRAINTS, BARS and LEASH, appearing naturally, as is, no anagrams. That seems clearly intended.

With mild anagram application we could have:

KEPT LINE NET BARS LEASH or

KEPT IN NET BARS LEASH (with EL left over).

KEPT applies to all these types of RESTRAINTS, such as BARS, LEASH, NET and LINE.

Mr. Kite and myself have been examining the fifth column of the Graysmith first stage solution, and have noted that two types of RESTRAINTS appear naturally, as is, no anagrams - BARS and LEASH. With anagrams, you can have KEPT IN BARS LEASH NET. The Zodiac seems to perhaps be using words like LEASH and other types of RESTRAINTS to signify government and societal control over the individual.

We might reasonably ask "Did any of the known Zodiac suspects seem interested in or obsessed with the theme of restraints, and use these words we find in the solution?"

Ted Kaczynski was very interested in, perhaps even near obsessed with the idea of restraints and controls. And he did frequently use these very ideas and even words, in particular LEASH.

Look at these lines from the Unabomber Manifesto:

26. ...Thus the oversocialized person is kept on a psychological LEASH and spends his life running on rails that society has laid down for him. In many oversocialized people this results in a sense of CONSTRAINT and powerlessness that can be a severe hardship. We suggest that oversocialization is among the more serious cruelties that human beings inflict on one another.

28. ...The leftist of the oversocialized type tries to get off his psychological LEASH and assert his autonomy by rebelling. But usually he is not strong enough to rebel against the most basic values of society. Generally speaking, the goals of today's leftists are not in conflict with the accepted morality.

30. ...By their own account, violence is for them a form of "liberation." In other words, by committing violence they break through the psychological RESTRAINTS that have been trained into them.

76. ... As long as the system gives them their opportunities it still has them on a LEASH. To attain autonomy they must get off that LEASH.

114. ...modern man is STRAPPED DOWN by a network of rules and regulations.

Notes 6. ...Some of the symptoms listed are similar to those shown by CAGED animals.

Notes 24. ... But only planned, circumscribed, limited freedom is in the interest of the system. The individual must always be kept on a LEASH, even if the LEASH is sometimes long.

And on a personal level, when his brother David told him he was getting married, Ted told him that the woman (Linda) was over controlling, and that he knew "who would be wearing the DOG COLLAR in that relationship", once again showing a focus on a LEASH.

It seems these themes and words were important to Kaczynski, as he used them multiple times in his manifesto, with the same implied meaning the Zodiac did, as a way society keeps people in check, a form of mental slavery.

I have been reading the Joseph Conrad book "The Secret Agent". I have found a number of interesting things. Remember that this was TJK's favorite book, one he read over a dozen times, told his family to read it to understand him, and kept a copy by his bedside as a young man. The character that he most identified with was the Professor, an anarchist bomber. The FBI felt TJK drew many things from the book, perhaps basing his "FC" name on the terrorist group "FP" from the novel, and using other themes in his crimes and writings. Ted also used CONRAD and KONRAD as aliases. Listen to what the (fictional) anarchist bomber Professor said:

I am not impressed by them. Therefore they are inferior. They cannot be otherwise. Their character is built on conventional morality. It leans on the social order. Mine stands free from everything artificial. They are BOUND in all sorts of conventions. They depend on life, which, in this connection, is a historical fact surrounded by ALL SORTS OF RESTRAINTS and considerations, a complex organized fact open to attack at every point; whereas I depend on DEATH, WHICH KNOWS NO RESTRAINT and cannot be attacked. My superiority is evident."

You revolutionists are the SLAVES OF THE SOCIAL CONVENTION, which is afraid of you; SLAVES of it as much as the very police that stands up in the defence of that convention.

The Secret Agent, p. 58 (emphasis added).

Thus there is the possibility of a pattern - a book and character that we know inspired Kaczynski, thoughts from that book and character about restraints, the appearance of those themes and words in the Zodiac 340 and the appearance of those themes and words, fleshed out, in the Kaczynski manifesto.

In the book "The Secret Agent" it is said that the foundations of society must be destroyed and that that the public needs a "good scare", thus the anarchists are encouraged to attack by bombs symbols of SCIENCE (which Kaczynski certainly took to heart) and symbols of EDUCATION or LEARNING. Is there any greater symbol of education than a SCHOOL BUS? Was Zodiac inspired to threaten to explode this symbol of education by reading THE SECRET AGENT? Interestingly, prior to his arrest as the Unabomber, Kaczynski had only ONE violation of the law - he was ticketed for passing a stopped school bus. kaczynski was known to harbor grudges over seemingly minor things. He once wrote an angry letter to his mother about when she yelled at him for having a messy room, some 20 years after the incident! Could that ticket for not stopping for a school bus have caused his unbalanced mind to be angry at school buses as a "Secret Agent" inspired target of education and learning?

See anything on this cover that the Zodiac might have been inspired by?

the_se10.jpg

Like a circle on top of a cross?

One of the characters in the book is so secret that he does not have a name, and signs his letters only with a geometric symbol, a triangle. The Zodiac signed his letters with a geometric symbol, the unit circle, which is a cross inside a circle.

I have been tormented for the past two days, trying to solve that sentence.

The one about
THE PIG I SHOT.

I wrote that in about 10 different ways, until i had them delete it.

The correct answer to your letter box had nothing to do with shooting a pig.

Here is the correct sentence.
And as far as i know, it has never been discovered until now.

-TOSHTATHEIPG
THATPIGTOSHE

It is from the 1978 letter to the editor.

Dear Editor
This is the Zodiac speaking I am back with you. Tell herb caen I am here, I have always been here. That city pig toschi is good but I am bu [crossed out] smarter and better he will get tired then leave me alone. I am waiting for a good movie about me. Who will play me. I am now in control of all things.
yours truly:

THAT CITY PIG TOSCHI

He left out the CITY, and no c in TOSCHI.
And changed the I to E.

Its still the same sounding word
TOSCHI
TOSHE

Typical zodiac writing yes?

And your herb caen is correct.
It is in the letter also.

HERCEANB
HERBCAEN

That is where the FBI got that name from in 79
from the 78 letter. But this letter box was not around i don't believe then as it is now to see the
THAT CITY PIG TOSCHI

Which makes me believe that the letter from 78 was written by the same person whom created the original 340 years earlier.
And they both were written by the
ZODIAC

It is my hunch, that if you and others will look at the letters written AFTER the original 340.
You will find other words and sentences in your letter box.
This is the Zodiac way of staying in touch, and letting LE know it is he.
You will solve this message, from his letters he wrote afterward.
It is he in fact, that wanted to solve it for you, over time years, by sending you letters with words and sentences that you could find in the original 340. And to know it was him.
TNMR
AHPHNEAEAKL
LAKEPHNEAHA

LAKE PHNEAHA

The
TNMR I am uncertain of.
It could be foreign.

Or it could be a
MR TN
But uncertain.

But i am certain it is LAKE PHNEAHA

THE PIG I SHOT.
YES, i agree that may-have been a confirmation he was responsible.
Two sentences in one set of letters.
Is that typical of the ZODIAC to do that???

TNMR
AHPHNEAEAKL
LAKEPHNEAHA

LAKE PHNEAHA

The
TNMR I am uncertain of.
It could be foreign.

Or it could be a
MR TN
But uncertain.

But i am certain it is LAKE PHNEAHA

THE PIG I SHOT.
YES, i agree that may-have been a confirmation he was responsible.
Two sentences in one set of letters.
Is that typical of the ZODIAC to do that???

Or Left to right

AHPHNEAEAKL
PHNEAHALAKE

PHNEAHA LAKE
LAKE PHNEAHA

Whichever way fits best in the letter puzzle.

Or Left to right

AHPHNEAEAKL
PHNEAHALAKE

PHNEAHA LAKE
LAKE PHNEAHA

Whichever way fits best in the letter puzzle.

[/center]

After the sentence I GIVE THEM HELL TO.
And then

BTSALTESEHLSE
HESBATTLELESS

HES BATTLELESS

or

BTSALTESEHLSE
LESSHEBATTLES

LESS HE BATTLES

or

BTSALTESEHLSE
HEBATTLESLESS

HE BATTLES LESS

And as far as the
IOSHTATHEIPG

I am still working on that.
I made an error.
There are two
II not one as i had posted.
And the E instead of a C has me a little bit confused.
I will try and solve that whole sentence then re-post as best as i can.

Will update later.

I believe i may have to check the original 340 from gray smith from 79 and check/compare the letters in his box, to the letters in this updated 340 letter box.

It appears to me, that perhaps some of the letters in this updated 340 letter box contain the wrong letters. Different letters from the original in 79.

For example.

IOSHTATHEIPG

Want to see if the original had a C instead of E
And i also want to check to see if it had a A
In the original.

Can you post the original 340 letter box from gray smith here.
So i can see and compare the two, and look for the different letters in each box.
Thank-you.

After the sentence I GIVE THEM HELL TO.
And then

BTSALTESEHLSE
HESBATTLELESS

HES BATTLELESS

or

BTSALTESEHLSE
LESSHEBATTLES

LESS HE BATTLES

or

BTSALTESEHLSE
HEBATTLESLESS

HE BATTLES LESS

And as far as the
IOSHTATHEIPG

I am still working on that.
I made an error.
There are two
II not one as i had posted.
And the E instead of a C has me a little bit confused.
I will try and solve that whole sentence then re-post as best as i can.

Will update later.

Thinking outside the box
Could this be like an introduction of someone?
Someone with the name of HELL/resembles HELL also?
AKA HELL?

I GIVE THEM HELL TOO

BTSALTESEHLSE
HESLESSBATTLE

HES LESS BATTLE?
HES LES BATTLES?

The original first raw Graysmith translation can be seen here, starting on p. 102:

http://foia.fbi.gov/zodiac/zodiac5.pdf

Personally, however, I think the solution I posted here is correct, or more correct. Kite and several other researchers made some minor corrections and improvements.

The solution I posted here has amazing cryptic words finds, like the diagonal LIST and BOMBS, the backwards GAME and the vertical DUEL, LEASH and BARS.

Some of what seems like gibberish makes sense when you apply a Caesar Code with 0-3-6-9 shift values. For example, ASK DLA becomes, with a 000 333 application, ASK GOD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back