Amanda Knox New Motivation Report RE: Meredith Kercher Murder #1 *new trial ordered*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there a story once that RG was meeting a friend around that area that night? I don't remember now.

I do recall RG saying that he talked to some friends before his "date," but those friend or that friend says he never saw RG that day. So maybe it was Kokomani he'd been talking ot instead. I have a wild and unsubstaniated theory.

How about RG is planning to squat at the cottage. He tells Kokomani that he'll be spending time there "house sitting" or some crap like that and invites Kokomani over there. Don't these two know each other? So it's not unreasonable, right?

So RG goes, breaks in, MK shows up, Kokomani happens to arrive during the struggle and murder. What color is hair? maybe RG is describing Kokomanni in his story when he says another man comes in and starts killing MK.

So maybe Kokomani gets there right at the murder time or right after, and RG covers MK, lets Kokomani in.

maybe it's farfetched, but....he was on the street, that much we know.

I like comparing the three Motivations reports. We need to do more of that.

According to LondonJohn on JREF, the local prosecution in Perugia (Mignini et al) do not have anything to do with the appeal in the Court of Cassation of Hellmann's verdict - it is wholly up to the Attorney General - and he believes no appeal may be filed at all, in the end. We shall see by Jan 29 I guess...

In any case , i was not aware of this...

According to LondonJohn on JREF, the local prosecution in Perugia (Mignini et al) do not have anything to do with the appeal in the Court of Cassation of Hellmann's verdict - it is wholly up to the Attorney General - and he believes no appeal may be filed at all, in the end. We shall see by Jan 29 I guess...

In any case , i was not aware of this...

He might be right.

My gut instinct -- based on absolutely no evidence -- is that they will appeal. Pehaps not enthusiastically, though.

One thing I am curious about: I wonder how often, in the face of an acqittal in the second level trial, Italian prosecutors decline to appeal to the Supreme Court?

He might be right.

My gut instinct -- based on absolutely no evidence -- is that they will appeal. Pehaps not enthusiastically, though.

One thing I am curious about: I wonder how often, in the face of an acqittal in the second level trial, Italian prosecutors decline to appeal to the Supreme Court?

That is a good question.

And how many times have acquittals been overturned? I know of one case in Italy where the conviction stood again, after an acquittal.

I am also thinking they will appeal, but I wish they would not....

<

My gut instinct -- based on absolutely no evidence -- is that they will appeal. Pehaps not enthusiastically, though.>
Well, someone on PMF has said that TJMK has heard that Chief Prosecutor Giovanni Galati is preparing his appeal report---yet someone on JREF said that if this were true, it would be in the news. So we still know nothing....:waitasec::furious:

Well, someone on PMF has said that TJMK has heard that Chief Prosecutor Giovanni Galati is preparing his appeal report---yet someone on JREF said that if this were true, it would be in the news. So we still know nothing....:waitasec::furious:

There is something strange about this "breaking story" on TJMK. They cite Vogt's twitter account as the source but oddly don't quote the actual tweet. On PMF, someone has translated an Italian news story about the chief prosecutor potentially taking action... but it's from September. And I did a Google News search for Giovanni Galati (the CP) and the only story is one from today in which he is at the center of a reform movement for the way trials are carried out - primarily making sure the public is given access to all information, and not rely on false information in the press. Apparently PMF seems to think this is in regards to the "Knox PR supertanker". To which I think they need to reassess their evaluation of such news, because that particular supertanker had no affect on the Italian press.

There is something strange about this "breaking story" on TJMK. They cite Vogt's twitter account as the source but oddly don't quote the actual tweet. On PMF, someone has translated an Italian news story about the chief prosecutor potentially taking action... but it's from September. And I did a Google News search for Giovanni Galati (the CP) and the only story is one from today in which he is at the center of a reform movement for the way trials are carried out - primarily making sure the public is given access to all information, and not rely on false information in the press. Apparently PMF seems to think this is in regards to the "Knox PR supertanker". To which I think they need to reassess their evaluation of such news, because that particular supertanker had no affect on the Italian press.
Wow, thank you for this. I am going to link it on JREF, as they will find it very interesting.

I really REALLY hope they bring Kokomani into this again. If they open anything again, I bet they call him in. Now that they've had to alter the theory, they might find more room for his crazy self in the argument.

I really REALLY hope they bring Kokomani into this again. If they open anything again, I bet they call him in. Now that they've had to alter the theory, they might find more room for his crazy self in the argument.
I think you are right....:waitasec:

@Malkmus:

One thing though that gets me angry::furious:

Did Galati request an extension???

Andrea Vogt @andreavogt
For those asking: court sources say deadline for #Perugia prosecutors/Kerchers to file #amandaknox cassation appeal is Feb. 18.

Exactly, and the Kerchers may have to come to grips with the fact that he was the SOLE killer, and got a paltry sentence (people get 3 x this for far less in the US, but the US has gone too far in that extreme). I do feel for the Kerchers, as Maresca likely misled them about the strength of the evidence.

The kerchers ought to get Maresca onto Kokomani. Even if Kokomani Didn't actually kill MK, I believe he could give them some answers they need, if he'd tell the truth.

Massei, Hellmann.....what is the third? You mean Machelli?:waitasec:

Yeah, I think you got all three. You know how I am with names....

I think it'd be interested because they've all had different takes on the case, but it would be interesting to see if all three agree on anything, and if they do, what? You know what I mean?

OMG, it will be SO much work since my other laptap got fried!

Yeah, I think you got all three. You know how I am with names....

I think it'd be interested because they've all had different takes on the case, but it would be interesting to see if all three agree on anything, and if they do, what? You know what I mean?

OMG, it will be SO much work since my other laptap got fried!
Yes, I agree it would be both interesting, and a lot of work. But well worth it. BTW, am very upset to realize Galati will be filing his appeal for Feb. 18. I had hoped they would not file. :(

@Malkmus:

One thing though that gets me angry::furious:

Did Galati request an extension???

I honestly have no idea if an extension was granted or if that's really what the deadline has been all along.
It surprises me (or maybe it shouldn't) that no one at either PMF or TJMK has asked where exactly Vogt "reported" that Galati is indeed pursuing an appeal. Re-reading the TJMK article this is how it's put:

Reporting items of breaking news on Meredith’s case on her excellent Twitter feed ( @andreavogt ) the Italy-based reporter Andrea Vogt has already reported that Dr Galati is preparing to proceed with a forceful Cassation appeal of the appeal verdict.

The way it's written it only implies that it was on Vogt's Twitter feed, and leaves the source of the actual reporting ambiguous. So is this actually just Quennel assuming based on Vogt's actual Tweet that the deadline isn't until Feb. 18th, or did Vogt send him a personal email? I don't know as it's very vague and no one at those two sites seems to care. For all I know, Galati is proceeding with an appeal - but the manner in which this is being reported as fact on TJMK makes me wonder...

I honestly have no idea if an extension was granted or if that's really what the deadline has been all along.
It surprises me (or maybe it shouldn't) that no one at either PMF or TJMK has asked where exactly Vogt "reported" that Galati is indeed pursuing an appeal. Re-reading the TJMK article this is how it's put:

The way it's written it only implies that it was on Vogt's Twitter feed, and leaves the source of the actual reporting ambiguous. So is this actually just Quennel assuming based on Vogt's actual Tweet that the deadline isn't until Feb. 18th, or did Vogt send him a personal email? I don't know as it's very vague and no one at those two sites seems to care. For all I know, Galati is proceeding with an appeal - but the manner in which this is being reported as fact on TJMK makes me wonder...
1. I think you are right: It is all suspiciously vague, an it makes one wonder if this is not just Peter Quenelle's bravado.
2. I now think that Feb 18 is no extension of the 45 days, but just standard. When you leave off weekends and holidays, 45 days from the Hellmann Motivation release = Feb. 18. So this is probably Vogt just calculating via business days.

It seems there are 3 possibilities with this pending prosecution appeal of the Hellmann rulings:

1.The Chief Prosecutor of Umbria will not file an appeal at all. (Best case scenario, but highly unlikely.)

2. There will be an appeal, which would be a one day affair behind closed doors, based on narrow technical disputes, and Hellmann would be upheld.

3. There would be a retrial filed, leading to years of court and possible extradition proceedings, were Massei to be updeld.

Anyone venture to guess which might be the most likely?:waitasec:

It seems there are 3 possibilities with this pending prosecution appeal of the Hellmann rulings:

1.The Chief Prosecutor of Umbria will not file an appeal at all. (Best case scenario, but highly unlikely.)

2. There will be an appeal, which would be a one day affair behind closed doors, based on narrow technical disputes, and Hellmann would be upheld.

3. There would be a retrial filed, leading to years of court and possible extradition proceedings, were Massei to be updeld.

Anyone venture to guess which might be the most likely?:waitasec:

I think number 2 is most likely.

I have a slight correction to your number 3 however -- IMO a new trial would have nothing to do with upholding Massei. The Supreme Court appeal is an appeal of the second trial, and I don't think that the Superior Court can uphold a lower court verdict. They can, however, order a new trial at the same level as Hellmann's court, and both the Massei and Hellmann trial records would be used as a part of the record. I don't think that this is likely to happen, at least as far as the murder charge goes.

I do think that number 3 is a possibility for the Calunnia charge.

I also think that a directed "not guilty" verdict is a possibility for the Calunnia charge. (If this charge is appealed by the defense and upheld by the Superior Court, an appeal to the ECHR might happen, which might have a good chance of vacating the conviction.)

I think number 2 is most likely.

I have a slight correction to your number 3 however -- IMO a new trial would have nothing to do with upholding Massei. The Supreme Court appeal is an appeal of the second trial, and I don't think that the Superior Court can uphold a lower court verdict. They can, however, order a new trial at the same level as Hellmann's court, and both the Massei and Hellmann trial records would be used as a part of the record. I don't think that this is likely to happen, at least as far as the murder charge goes.

I do think that number 3 is a possibility for the Calunnia charge.

I also think that a directed "not guilty" verdict is a possibility for the Calunnia charge. (If this charge is appealed by the defense and upheld by the Superior Court, an appeal to the ECHR might happen, which might have a good chance of vacating the conviction.)
I would agree that number 2 is the most likely. ( I hold out a bit of hope for #1, though.)

As for #3, you are right - but the reason I had worded it that way, is actually from Mignini: Right after the Hellmann acquittals, when speaking to the press, he said that they definitely would appeal the Hellmann ruling, and he added, "We'll see which is upheld: The first or the second." So Mignini himself spoke of Massei being upheld....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie