Mistakes made that led to Casey being aquitted...

One thing that will always gnaw at me regarding this trial was how the judge pandered to the defense. He is a very knowledgeable judge, known to be fair. I believe his intentions were to help what he believed was an ill-equipped defense do the best job they could. However, it looked like he favored the defense on way too many occasions. I am not talking about motions or other legal stuff. Judge was right on the money in his rulings. But he took personal jabs at the prosecutor while allowing Baez to get away with all sorts of idiocy. I saw it that way and I do not think it was lost on the jury.

This entire post is just my opinion. But I can't help but wonder if it was also the opinion of some of the jurors. I think they liked the judge; he was a very affable person and his intelligence was obvious. I just think that they decided to like who they felt the judge favored. Now, I don't think the judge actually DID favor Baez. I just think that it appeared as though he did. Perhaps enough to sway the jury.

I think you are right krkrjx... It seemed from the comments made by the jurors that it turned out to be more of a popularity contest than a serious deliberation based on the evidence and facts of the case, with Caylee being totally lost in the whole thing.... And Perry definitely rolled out the red carpet for the jury, they liked him... As far as the defense, Perry was so concerned with the record that he allowed them to go way too far and get away with way too much. And I agree, with this particular jury it probably did influence them, in their minds they saw it as him being pro-defense... Which I agree wasn't the case, I just don't think Perry ever thought the jury would acquit her.... It still disgusts me that this jury turned the trial into a popularity contest, completely disregarding the facts and evidence...

All jmo.

Oh my, I've heard it all now... Ashleigh Banfield (HLN) interviewed Ole Cheney Mason tonight, it's basically just a bunch more nonsense and lies... He's claiming fca always tells the truth and everything she's claimed about June 16th (at trial & in her AP interview) has been consistent, she's always said George did it (funny that's the only part she remembers from her blackout day), and after that he said her mind closed like venetian blinds... He even said they had a forensic psychiatrist who backed this stuff up (rolling my eyes). And he actually said fca believed Caylee was alive until the trial when the grief counselor testified - that was when she completely broke and snapped out of casey world and for the very first time realized Caylee had died.... I can't make this stuff up, these people have totally lost their minds.... When Ashleigh pushed him about the AP interview not being consistent with what he was saying, he claimed he didn't know what she told the AP and tried to quickly dismiss it. So Ashleigh plays a couple parts of the interview for him, the part where she's totally cavalier about lying to police (how people lie everyday, she's just an unfortunate idiot who admitted that she lied, etc), and the part where she said her dad had Caylee on the 16th, and Ashleigh asks him how he can say she always told the truth when she had no problem lying to anybody? And if he thought she was lying to him? He said, no, and the evidence proves it (what???), and that we don't know what's going on in people's minds when they lie. He just rambles on and on making no sense whatsoever. Weird stuff... He added that he just talked to her today and she's clear on what's going on and she misses that child.... Then Ashleigh asks about the jailhouse tapes, the one between fca & ga, where ga talks about Caylee and how they all love her and they're doing everything they can, that he'd give his life for her, etc, (both fca and ga were very emotional) and then she compares it to their opening statements where they said george molested her and he forced her to keep quiet about Caylee's death, etc, and then she asks if they were just acting in the tape (knowing she was already dead)? ChMason just rambled and she had to repeat the question, he finally said fca didn't know because the venetian blinds of her brain had been closed and ga was working as an agent for the police (huh???) and no one knows what he testified to knowing at the secret grand jury. This is just crazy ramble, he's all over the place. Ashleigh asks him about fca living with him and his wife and he got pretty angry saying she NEVER lived with them, ever, she's only been there for hearings and spent the night. Ashleigh said she did live there, because she's spoke to him about it before and he told her she lived there. She wasn't going to get anywhere with him so she asks about fca now, ChMason said she doesn't have a boyfriend, she works everyday, all day (hahahaha). She does research for PI's and several defense attorneys, etc, etc..... Every single time they talk their story gets dumber...

Mark Lippman was on after Mason... He said ga is upset with what fca said at trial and what she's said since, that her AP interview is filled with lies, deceit, and there's no relationship. When asked about ca and fca he said fca's latest interview probably destroyed any relationship anyone anticipated or wanted in the future.

All jmo.

I still want to know how she supports herself. Where does her money come from.....

The evidence still pointed towards Casey though. You have to ignore that and be willing to believe in unsubstantiated fantasy to buy her version of events.

The jurors did not do their jobs IMO.

I still can't believe that the juriors never held FCA accountable for her daughter----they placed most blame on the parents----fca was an adult----still annoys me

One thing that will always gnaw at me regarding this trial was how the judge pandered to the defense. He is a very knowledgeable judge, known to be fair. I believe his intentions were to help what he believed was an ill-equipped defense do the best job they could. However, it looked like he favored the defense on way too many occasions. I am not talking about motions or other legal stuff. Judge was right on the money in his rulings. But he took personal jabs at the prosecutor while allowing Baez to get away with all sorts of idiocy. I saw it that way and I do not think it was lost on the jury.

This entire post is just my opinion. But I can't help but wonder if it was also the opinion of some of the jurors. I think they liked the judge; he was a very affable person and his intelligence was obvious. I just think that they decided to like who they felt the judge favored. Now, I don't think the judge actually DID favor Baez. I just think that it appeared as though he did. Perhaps enough to sway the jury.

I honestly think, that he thought as I did. That the jury would come back with a guilty plea. This verdict still stuns me, even today. I will never give up trying to get justice for this baby. My voice is only one, but it is LOUD!

Thanks for the link Tulessa. I found this comment by Cheney Mason interesting.

Defense attorney Cheney Mason says the evidence did not establish how, when or where Caylee died.

Since when does the prosecution have to establish how, when or where a murder victim died?

They only have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused murdered the victim. In many cases,like this one,that is achieved using circumstantial evidence.

Murderers should not get a pass because they conceal the way they killed the victim or the time or the place that the murder occurred.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...-star-wars-public-outrage-20171011-story.html

Since when does the prosecution have to establish how, when or where a murder victim died?

They only have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused murdered the victim. In many cases,like this one,that is achieved using circumstantial evidence.

Murderers should not get a pass because they conceal the way they killed the victim or the time or the place that the murder occurred.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...-star-wars-public-outrage-20171011-story.html

That annoyed me too. Wasn't surprised---still cannot believe she didn't get anything for child neglect at the least...still angers me

I think this is where the judge really made a mistake in allowing the defense to “instruct “ the jury on points of law. Sure you can bring up that you don’t think the prosecution has established X, Y, or Z, but he shouldn’t have been allowed to tell the jury what they “had to have” for a conviction.

There is nothing in Common Law that permits defense attorneys to lie and accuse others without evidence. The minute Baez started accusing George and the meter-reader (!) he should have been taken off the case, put into custody, and charged with criminal libel and slander if he could not back up his claims.

This isn't the 1970s. Forensic evidence shows up the lies of criminals and their attorneys again and again. It is time to hold defense attorneys personally, legally, financially, and criminally responsible for not only the actions of their clients but their own lying words.

If a defense attorney gets a serial rapist off on a technicality, and that rapist goes out and rapes again, not only should the rapist be put in prison forever, but the attorney must be punished too. We are done with amoral devil's advocate liars. Charge them wtih obstruction of justice, take their law degree away, and give everything they own to the families of the victims.

Punish the criminals and their protectors, hard.

I walked away from this forum after the verdict and haven't been back until now. I was so angry and heartsick and couldn't wrap my head around the fact that she got away with it. So many mistakes, but in my mind, though there were mistakes on so many levels, it was Judge Perry, and his fear of an appeal, who let this happen. Time has not softened my feelings about any of this.

I might be inclined to say that it was the miss on the "foolproof suffocation"....but I want to get ahead of that; I think it was jury selection. Allowing a juror in who stated she could not give the death penalty in sentencing phase but was still impaneled simply because she was a minority...blows my mind.
And the rush job throughout voir dire, Judge Perry lecturing about $ constantly. All absurd.
You can argue the details of the case-in-chief all day long, but explain to me how that jury did not even convict her on child neglect when her defense was that she neglected her child in a pool? Nullification because they were put out by being selected. They had cruises to attend, after all.
I could actually go back earlier and suggest Judge Strickland never have recused himself, but that's my own personal pipe dream.

I might be inclined to say that it was the miss on the "foolproof suffocation"....but I want to get ahead of that; I think it was jury selection. Allowing a juror in who stated she could not give the death penalty in sentencing phase but was still impaneled simply because she was a minority...blows my mind.
And the rush job throughout voir dire, Judge Perry lecturing about $ constantly. All absurd.
You can argue the details of the case-in-chief all day long, but explain to me how that jury did not even convict her on child neglect when her defense was that she neglected her child in a pool? Nullification because they were put out by being selected. They had cruises to attend, after all.
I could actually go back earlier and suggest Judge Strickland never have recused himself, but that's my own personal pipe dream.

I agree this case was shot with jury selection. All Caylee needed was one person willing to do their civic duty, actually care about whether they were letting a murderer back out on the streets again and hang the jury and she would have been at least given another chance at justice.

Instead a bunch of lazy fools were seated. I blame Judge Perry for that. The defense, repulsive as they were, did what they were supposed to in jury selection, the prosecution did what they were supposed to during jury selection.

Judge Perry was the only one making bizarre decisions such as not allowing the prosecution to strike a juror who said her religion didn't allow her to judge people, and talking about raiding the homeless shelters for potential jurors if they weren't able to seat a jury with the prospective jurors available.

This does not, however, mean I think the defense did what they were supposed to at trial. Baez broke all sorts of rules. He should have been held responsible for them.

They don't. It says in black and white in the jury instructions that they don't. Too bad that "jury" had no critical thinking skills.

I walked away from this forum after the verdict and haven't been back until now. I was so angry and heartsick and couldn't wrap my head around the fact that she got away with it. So many mistakes, but in my mind, though there were mistakes on so many levels, it was Judge Perry, and his fear of an appeal, who let this happen. Time has not softened my feelings about any of this.

I'm the same as you. And i refuse to watch anything made about it since. It really affects my levels of rage everytime i see anything about that family, then my heart breaks a little all over again for wee Caylee. Hopefully one day a brilliant new piece of evidence will unfold here to get a conviction and Caylee can then truely RIP. I commend the people here who worked as hard as the law to try and help get justice.

I wanted to share this A&E series in case anyone wanted to watch it. I apologize for adding this to the "Light a Candle" section first and I quickly deleted it. I hope it is OK here.

“Marcia ClarkInvestigates The First 48” delves into some of America’s most shocking crimesthat have remained unsolved or ended with controversial outcomes. Each two-hourepisode will focus on a specific case and examine the first 48 hours after thecrime to reveal new angles and unravel enduring mysteries.
[FONT=&quot]Preview: Casey Anthony: Don't miss the new seriesMarcia Clark Investigates The First 48, premiering March 29.48, premieringMarch 29, on A&E

https://www.aetv.com/shows/marcia-c...t-48/season-1/episode-1/preview-casey-anthony
[/FONT]

I wanted to share this A&E series in case anyone wanted to watch it. I apologize for adding this to the "Light a Candle" section first and I quickly deleted it. I hope it is OK here.

“Marcia ClarkInvestigates The First 48” delves into some of America’s most shocking crimesthat have remained unsolved or ended with controversial outcomes. Each two-hourepisode will focus on a specific case and examine the first 48 hours after thecrime to reveal new angles and unravel enduring mysteries.
[FONT="]Preview: Casey Anthony: Don't miss the new seriesMarcia Clark Investigates The First 48, premiering March 29.48, premieringMarch 29, on A&E

https://www.aetv.com/shows/marcia-c...t-48/season-1/episode-1/preview-casey-anthony
[/FONT]

I tried to add a thread on this but I probably did it wrong. JWG and I were interviewed for this episode.

Wow! I was not sure if this information was already posted on another thread. I am looking forward to watching Marcia Clark's investigations. Thank you for letting me know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back