GUILTY NY - Laura Cummings, 23, disabled, tortured & killed, North Collins, 21 Jan 2010

Victim's brother tells of futile efforts to get help for long-abused, disabled woman

By Jay Tokasz
NEWS STAFF REPORTER
Updated: January 31, 2010, 12:16 am /
Published: January 30, 2010, 12:02 pm

Laura Cummings struggled with mental and physical disabilities her entire life.

A grown woman of 23, she had the mental capacity of an 8-year-old girl. She talked with a speech impediment and had difficulty swallowing food.

Worse than any of the disabilities, though, was the mistreatment she received at the hands of her mother, according to authorities and at least one family member.

Erie County sheriff's investigators said Cummings covered her daughter's nose and mouth with her bare hands. By then, investigators said, the daughter had been doused in the face with a pot of scalding water by Luke Wright, 31, Cummings' son and the victim's half-brother, who was charged with first-degree assault.

Wright, wearing a Carhartt coat, oversized jeans and rubber boots, tried to tell the judge that he wasn't home at the time he was accused of committing the crime.
The victim's younger brother, Richard, 22, had been trying for months to get her removed from the apartment at 2052 Sherman Ave., where she had lived with her mother, half-brother and another brother, Eddie, for 18 years.

Eddie Cummings was not charged and is not considered a suspect, investigators said.

Richard Cummings, a member of the Air Force who lives on a base in North Carolina, said he had complained, on multiple occasions, to the county's Adult Protective Services unit, which is charged with protecting adults with disabilities from abuse.

"She should have been put in a different home," he said. "I knew something like this was going to happen. I'm very frustrated and very angry that she was not removed from that household."

Richard Cummings, who was back in Western New York on leave for his sister's funeral, said Adult Protective Services investigators never went into the home and merely spoke with his mother.

"My mother had lied to them, saying everything was fine," he said.

Richard Cummings became increasingly concerned about his sister last summer, when he received a text message from a younger sister who doesn't live with Eva Cummings. The message indicated that Laura Cummings' arm had been badly cut and was not being treated.

At the time, Richard Cummings asked Stevens, the town justice, to help him file a complaint with the county's Protective Services unit.

Stevens acknowledged in an interview after Saturday's arraignment that he had helped Richard Cummings with an initial telephone call to Child Protective Services, but he said he was not involved in the case beyond that.

The complaint went to Child Protective Services because Stevens wasn't sure of Laura Cummings' age. Eventually, Adult Protective Services was contacted, but the complaint apparently was determined to be unfounded.

Laura Cummings suffered from years of abuse simply because "she was mentally challenged and they didn't like it," said Richard Cummings, who left the house at age 18 and lived with neighbors who took him in.

His sister was punched, kicked and beaten with "anything they could get a hand on," he said. "It was mostly my mother."

His sister, he added, "didn't really know how to handle it. She didn't know what to do. She was confused."

Caroline Lee, who lives down the street from the Cummings home and took in Richard Cummings, saw Laura Cummings on a couple occasions in recent months and noticed severe facial bruising and hand injuries.

"Her whole face was bashed in," Lee said. "It looked like someone took her face and punched it."

Eva Cummings told people that Laura had fallen down the stairs. But Lee said the family home has only a couple of stairs and the severity of Laura Cummings' injuries didn't seem consistent with that explanation.

"There's no way you could fall down two little stairs and do that much damage," she said.

The death resulted from what had begun as a spat between Laura Cummings and Luke Wright over a mundane matter, Kenyon said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/940506.html

So tell me how the town justice sleeps at night??

My heart just breaks for Richard as he did everything right IMO. He must be grieving terribly, thinking he could have done even more.

A lot went wrong here but I think we're going to start seeing more cases like this. Families "need" and rely on the SSI checks and foster families are fading away as funds are being cut right and left.

A very simple--inexcusable but real--fact is that there probably weren't any available families for Laura. Young adults who can be combative and/or violent and have eating challenges are notoriously hard to place in foster family homes. Institutional care is out and group home settings are reserved for the highest level of care.

The sad fact is that even though this mother willfully killed her daughter, our society carries some blame as there isn't a viable and accessible answer for young women like Laura. Even if the agencies had done their job (which they did NOT!!), this young woman and her family could have waited for months for a placement.

Disgusting, disheartening, but true.

Father speaks out on daughter's murder
David Cummings admits he physically abused Laura

Updated: Sunday, 31 Jan 2010, 7:43 PM EST
Published : Sunday, 31 Jan 2010, 7:43 PM EST

The father of a North Collins woman, who was allegedly killed by her own mother, is now speaking out.

The cycle of abuse started long ago for Laura Cummings.

David Cummings exclaimed, "I miss her."

"Never thought she was capable of doing something like this," he explained.

David admits that he hasn't been a good father.

He hasn't even seen his four children in years or even tried to make contact with them.

"I have a lot of regrets," David expressed.

The abuse for the Cummings children started at an early age.

David said he was abusive to them before his ex-wife, Eva left him.

"I look back at it and I guess what I did was pretty stupid, but what she did was even worse," he said.

He also said he has since had treatment for his abuse, yet did not reach out to contact his children through the years, all the while living just miles away.

more here

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/Father-speaks-out-on-daughters-murder

:( sounds like Laura never knew a life full of love and care

Can I ask why these people keep talking? Not Richard...but the rest of them. Yup everyone is sorry now.

The town justice didnt think to ask her age? This case is killing me....guess everyone knows now that you cant afford to be stupid. Not when it comes to something like this.

Good for Laura that the incident which caused this horrific event is because she still had the where withall to be bickering with her brother....she still stood up for herself on some level....I hope and pray that she believed that she had value.

I'm not exaggerating one whit when I say that the above transcript of Laura's father's words sound like an exact duplicate of what Jeanette Maples' dad said.

I miss her.

I should have done more.

I wasn't a very good dad.

I never thought her mom would do this.

I wish I would have visited.

I guess I was pretty stupid.

YOU THINK?????

I'll save everyone the trouble:

No Missizzy, he didn't think.

This is just sooo heartwrenching -- Laura was 23 y/o.....she lived so much longer than most severely abused kids...so in all likelihood, 15-20 years or more of abuse!!

And in all that time, no one could save her....literally decades.

It makes me sick, mad & sad all at the same time.

RIP Laura-I hope you are really, really free now.

My heart breaks for you Laura, but I also know that now your in your TRUE fathers arms...I'll read Psalms tonight in Memory of you and FINALLY the happiness you deserve!

Are we going to hear an outcry?? Why isnt CPS already issuing a statement? Who has been put on administrative leave?

Right-Laura was a disabled adult. So at some point, it didnt matter any more. Except to Laura of course. What a life. OMG, what a life.

They are probably to busy now to issue a statement, going and pulling children out of homes they DONT need to be removed from.

This is a heartbreaking story. I can't even read the news articles. This poor young woman - and it appears many people knew of her torture. Why, oh why can't people find their voice?

Rest in peace, dear Laura. I hope the Angels are flying you high in their wings.

Salem

This poor woman. She was likely abused her entire twenty-three years. I never understand how anyone could be so cruel to a mentally disabled human being. Even worse, it was her own family.

I volunteered for the Special Olympics for about five years. Never in my life have I met more loving and wonderful creatures. They were all like children and you couldn't not love each and every one. Sigh.. if only her family could have seen that for themselves.

Bless the brother for trying so hard to get help for her. He may never feel he did enough but bless him for doing SOMETHING. Hoping all those who dropped the ball pay the price for it. Jeanette deserved to live a happy and fulfilled life.

This is so sad. This could have been avoided. It was a small town where everyone saw but noone seen.

Welcome to WS Angel....yes it is a terrible story!

I wish there was an attorney who could help Richard sue every person who had contact and did Nothing. There needs to be accountability. ITA, how do they sleep?

This case touched me so much. Laura was disabled and reported as being a very kind and trusting person. She probally waited for it to get better or for her mother to love her more, but she got let down because it never happened. I live a few miles away from where she lived and died. I never met her but I wished that I did. May she rest in peace. She deserved to know love, unconditionally. She deserved better. Rest in peace Laura Cummings.

'mom said everything was fine' well gee if you cant trust her who can you trust? <sarcasim>
i love the 'found nothing unusual' that's got garrido and his parole officers written all over it.
'she was a little mean' uhhhhhh yeah...you could say that.
these people shouldnt be able to look in the mirror.
ugh

Welcome Angel--Yes, it is devastatingly sad. For those who've followed this case and the Jeanette Maples case last month, you'll note that Angel's words hold a lot of truth.

Remember when an essay was found which Jeanette wrote? She wanted to be just like her mother. She also wanted wings.

Both young ladies have their wings now. I have to focus on that while I'm fighting like heck for more accountability within the system.

Is it that there are more murderous parents, or that we hear about it faster, easier and more readily? I sometimes wonder if much of the human race is going stark raving mad.

These poor children (as she was still a child emotionally). Never to know love from your mother, father or anyone else in your life.

How should these parents be punished? I say that killing your own offspring HAS to be the most horrific crime possible. Please tell me this "mother" will NEVER see the light of day outside a prison again! If that doesn't happen, it shows how messed up our society is as a whole! Sick beyond words!

As for people who saw, but didn't report the abuse... I have no words, no respect and no pity for their guilty conscious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back