LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure why the admin of the FB page insists on not believing the media, or wanting anyone else to either. The media is not going to go on record with things that are blatantly untrue, and the family needs the media. Not sure who is the admin?

I'm not certain, but I believe one of them is a friend of the family. I think he's a college student.

I am also quite surprised we have not seen an interview with the fishermen that called in the bike tip...

Yes Crocus and many of those volunteers (like my daughter) don't even know Mickey or her family. They just want to help. They are searching in some pretty bad conditions, tall weeds, forest, poison ivy and this terrible heat and many of them just keep going back to volunteer. My daughter says it becomes personal once you are involved and you just don't want to give up searching.

I am confused by some of the comments by the admin as well. They are accusing media of endangering Mickey, ruining the investigation, making up blatant lies, etc. They are talking about actual legitimate MSM sources too. Is there something I am missing? I feel like the page (at least until recently) was still refuting that it was even her bike found when I believe that is pretty much completely confirmed?

It just seems counterproductive to me. Clearly, the bike was found, and LE announced they would be searching the area and the water. Those are facts. Other search actions may need to be based on this new info. I understand their need to not want to think about what anything being found could mean, but it does not seem helpful to dispute info with such force. JMO

Pardon me for not being familiar with the case, but was the bicycle reported to have any damage to it? Did i miss any info about it's condition? tia

Looking at Google Earth at the above coordinates, I see a problem with the pull-over-and-dump scenario. Look at the bridge as it crosses the river. That's where it gets very narrow, with no shoulder to pull over! Remember how many bad wrecks happen on that bridge? Got stuck once for 6 hours a few years back after two trucks tangled at the top.

To have dumped the bike so it landed under the bridgel, the perp would had to have stopped IN the traffic lane - liable to be rear-ended at any second by traffic coming from behind.

Maybe the perp had to walk it under the bridge after all. After all, look at the map - the trees are cleared. He could have carried - or driven - the bike back under the bridge.

Remembering how there is absolutely no shoulder there - just two lanes - how could he have stopped to throw the bike over?!

You must be a night-owl, like me. This has been on my mind every day... as I work, I just turn it over and over. I'm waiting for a moment when I can go help again.. The biggest thing as I drive around town is to find that Caddy with the messed up right-rear fender. I'm going to look a couple places tomorrow. It seems I'm not the only one who has seen the beat-up Caddy; we need that guy as a witness.

Yes: Hoot hoot. :)

I agree re: the Caddy. That's one vehicle that won't be hard to spot. And I'm out kid-taxiing enough to be able to spot it if it's there to spot.

Plus, I've got a crew of observant (read: nosy) individuals under my roof. Heh.

Well, I just saw the Shunick case on national FoxNews. But no mention of the bike. Must have been an old report.

I took this picture last year on my way to Hammond.

http://i.imgur.com/mdyJ0.jpg

This is basically all you see for many many miles (from Whiskey Bay exit, all the way to ...? right before you hit Baton Rouge). Some areas along the route are more shrouded by trees, and as you can imagine, at night, you can't see anything. But yeah, big mass of swampy terrain with alligators.

A lot of people go to the Atchafalaya Basin for recreation, and Whiskey Bay is one of the areas used to launch into it. I wish I had a better picture of Whiskey Bay exit, but I don't.

Good pic to give the idea.

It just seems counterproductive to me. Clearly, the bike was found, and LE announced they would be searching the area and the water. Those are facts. Other search actions may need to be based on this new info. I understand their need to not want to think about what anything being found could mean, but it does not seem helpful to dispute info with such force. JMO

We have to remember, too, though...the climate of discussion on FB is much, much more difficult to manage than here at WS. Rumors are rampant and Facebookers/Tweeters will repost in the blink of an eye until a rumor miraculously morphs into fact. I can't blame the family for trying to get a grip on that. Maybe it's simply a matter of overcompensation?

Pardon me for not be familiar with the case, but was the bicycle reported to have any damage to it? sid i miss any info about it's condition? tia

Hello there!
We have not heard about the condition of the bike. So far no info has been released that we know of.

Turkey season is over. What is the next or ongoing hunting season and for what would there be hunters going out for?
I was reading that birders use the Achafalaya Basin as a great place to watch the birdies.

I don't know. The perp's already proven he is a taker of huge risks. I don't think his actions were chosen out of stupidity. I think it was experience and conceit.

I could be completely wrong, but it seems the risk of being seen were not big concerns to him. MOO

I agree with you. We're talking about a psychopath who abducted a woman right in a city! I don't think he would be the least bit put off dumping her bike off a ramp or driving down to the surface road and calmly placing it with the trash. This is a cold, cunning, premeditating criminal who thinks he can't get caught.

To everyone new to this thread or case in general, the FBI has been on the case since the weekend it happened. Information is being held from the public at the FBI's discretion. These tiny clues leaking out can hinder their entire investigation, especially in relation to the perp.

The family should be kept in the know of recent developments, but the FBI is insistent that they not confirm any clues without their consent.

Looking at Google Earth at the above coordinates, I see a problem with the pull-over-and-dump scenario. Look at the bridge as it crosses the river. That's where it gets very narrow, with no shoulder to pull over! Remember how many bad wrecks happen on that bridge? Got stuck once for 6 hours a few years back after two trucks tangled at the top.

To have dumped the bike so it landed under the bridgel, the perp would had to have stopped IN the traffic lane - liable to be rear-ended at any second by traffic coming from behind.

Maybe the perp had to walk it under the bridge after all. After all, look at the map - the trees are cleared. He could have carried - or driven - the bike back under the bridge.

Remembering how there is absolutely no shoulder there - just two lanes - how could he have stopped to throw the bike over?!

Isn't there a road that runs under the bridge? Maybe he was traveling that, not I-10

I got a question for the "locals" cuz I'm pretty local but not real real local...
Does that road that is in the pictures on the news go all the way through to 190? Anytime I ever went to shurburne we went down 190 and exited right after the bridge in big beautiful krotz springs. So I was wondering since shurburne had been mentioned earlier does that same road go all the way through to where we used to go?

Goodnight folks. I've lost any ability to concentrate. Hopefully new evidence will surface tomorrow. :please:

Putting thoughts and prayers out to the families of our fallen Soldiers and those who are currently serving and away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆