MD MD - Tracey Kirkpatrick, 17, Frederick, 15 March 1989

SharetheLight

Share the Light, Share the Love
Reaction score
I saw this in the news today and thought I'd start this thread. I searched Tracey's name here and didn't see any mention of her on WS. If another thread exists please move this.

I am trying to learn more about this crime, but haven't found much yet. It seems like this case should have been solved long ago. If anyone remembers this case, please jump in.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyID=87729

On March 15, 1989, Tracey worked until closing time at the sportswear store.

Diane stopped by around 6 p.m. to bring Tracey something to eat. No customers were in the store, and Tracey was reading a book. Before Diane left, Tracey told her mother she was tired and wanted to go to bed when she got home.

At 8 p.m., an hour before the store's closing time, Tracey's manager stopped by. When she left, Tracey was alone. No sales were recorded in the register after 8 p.m.

Deputy Don Barnes Jr. of the Frederick County Sheriff's Office worked as a security guard at the center that night.

He noticed a light on in the closed store shortly after 9 p.m., but he didn't check it out. He believed the clerk was finishing up before leaving.

When he returned around 10:30 p.m., the light was still on. Finding the front door unlocked, he opened it, called out for a response but received none.

Barnes went inside and found the 5-foot, 4-inch, 122-pound teen with hazel eyes on the floor in the storage room with stab wounds to the chest and back.

An investigation by the Frederick Police Department revealed no sign of struggle, so police believe she may have known her killer. The cash register drawer and receipts were found on the counter. No money was taken, and Tracey was not sexually assaulted.

Tracey's parents arrived at the shopping center before police could notify them of her death.

They were worried because Tracey was late. The two assumed her car, which had been giving her problems, had broken down.

Billy made the same trip to the center the night before. She was late that night, too. He found her talking to a boy she had dated. They decided to get back together that night, Diane said.

"We told her, 'Don't ever do that again without letting us know, because that worries us,'" Diane said.

I found this link to the story Unsolved Mysteries did on this case. http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/mur_tracey_kirkpatrick.htm

Thanks for the link. It's interesting in the update of that show it says the Sean/Don person who confessed has been cleared. I heard stories that initially said the police didn't consider him to be their suspect because he didn't look like a killer. My question would be what does a killer look like? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him. I know people confess to crimes they didn't commit for a variety of reasons and his confession alone should not mean anything except that they should take a closer look at him. I just wonder how closely they did look at him.
I had also read rumors that one person LE considered to be a potential suspect was the son of someone on the police force. I do not know if this Sean/Don person is that person or someone else entirely.
I just feel horrible for Tracey's parents that 20 years have gone by and still no answers, and no justice in what seems to be a solvable crime.

I had similar thoughts about the don/sean character. I really wonder how it went from this quote by Cpl. Horner...“The sincerity that I heard in that voice and the knowledge that the person was displaying, talking about what he had done, at that point convinced me that I probably was listening to the killer"... to ruling him out completely. I feel so badly for her parents also.

I had similar thoughts about the don/sean character. I really wonder how it went from this quote by Cpl. Horner...“The sincerity that I heard in that voice and the knowledge that the person was displaying, talking about what he had done, at that point convinced me that I probably was listening to the killer"... to ruling him out completely. I feel so badly for her parents also.

Exactly. It is quite a different position to take. I wonder what changed.
I saw some clippings of old news articles in the paper I referenced earlier. I couldn't find the old articles on-line but I did see the reporters name on some of the articles and I happen to know her so I am going to contact her to see what else I can find out.

Exactly. It is quite a different position to take. I wonder what changed.
I saw some clippings of old news articles in the paper I referenced earlier. I couldn't find the old articles on-line but I did see the reporters name on some of the articles and I happen to know her so I am going to contact her to see what else I can find out.
Great, can't wait to hear what you may learn from her. I just found this article also. http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=87731

yes, it was thru the interactive timeline that I was able to see the reporters name on the old newspaper clippings. i'll post any new findings i come across.

yes, it was thru the interactive timeline that I was able to see the reporters name on the old newspaper clippings. i'll post any new findings i come across.

Very good catch! I hope they make some progress in this case. It initially grabs me being that I am close to the age Tracey would have been, and was working a mall job til closing after school myself not far from that same time frame. I remember feeling spooked a little sometimes. Such a sad thing. I'm impressed with how much people on the police dept, even retired officers still seem to care about her case being solved.

Here's another article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,6722842.story

After 20 years, Frederick girl's murder still unsolved
'It was yesterday for me,' victim's mother says

By Frank D. Roylance
March 16, 2009

Two suspects developed over the years remain "viable," Martyak said. But while "it's plausible either one of them could be the killer, in both instances it falls short of having the last piece of the puzzle that's missing to corroborate that [either one] actually committed the crime."

In 1989, DNA technology was comparatively crude, and "very cost prohibitive," Martyak said. It was not until 1998 that a sample was submitted for testing. It was insufficient to develop a genetic profile of the killer, as was a second sample submitted in 2003.

But technology has advanced to where analysts can extract a DNA profile from no more material than is left by a touch. So Frederick police several weeks ago submitted "touch samples" from the case to a private contractor for the Maryland State Police. "We think this may be our best shot to get some other type of DNA, other than hers, from the crime scene," Martyak said. Test results are not expected for several months.

Police already have DNA samples from both of the suspects. Detectives check on them periodically.

In the meantime, investigators have presented the Kirkpatrick case file to two "cold case review panels," one national and another for the Mid-Atlantic region.

A relatively new concept and a first for Frederick, Martyak said, these independent panels of police investigators, evidence analysts, crime scene and forensic experts comb case files and suggest new leads or new technologies the local police might not have considered. "We expect this case to be reviewed by both panels sometime this year," he said.

Martyak said police continue to receive information about the case. "It's never too late," he said. "Even if they think the information they have doesn't help, call us anyhow and let us decide.

"If we can keep it fresh in people's minds, maybe - just maybe - we can get that one piece of information we need to bring closure to the case ... for the family," Martyak said.

Anyone with information about Tracey Kirkpatrick's murder is asked to call Frederick Police Detective Jerry Morales at 301-600-1226.

Another article. This I find very interesting. This retired officer says he knew who did it, but politics have kept the dept. from charging a suspect.
I had also read somewhere in another format that at one point a major suspect was the son of an officer on the force. Maybe this is the "politics" that keep them from charging. This is all my my opinion/speculation.
I feel horrible for this officer who devoted a whole year to this case alone. He retired right after that year. That is telling. I feel even more horrible for the Kirkpatrick family that the killer is probably known and nothing is being done.
Here's another article:

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=87759

'He lived it, he breathed it.’
FPD Cpl. Bob Servacek was deeply involved in investigation
Originally published March 16, 2009

By Gina Gallucci-White
News-Post Staff

Retired Frederick Police Department Detective Bob Servacek stands in front of the store where Tracey Kirkpatrick was found dead 20 years ago. Servacek investigated the homicide full time for a year and believes he knows the identity of the killer.

Retired Frederick Police Department Cpl. Bob Servacek is convinced he knows who killed Tracey Kirkpatrick.
"The case was solved in 1994," Servacek said. "As far as I was concerned."

Based on circumstantial evidence, he believes more than enough evidence exists for an arrest and a conviction. He believes a friend of the 17-year-old Brunswick High student killed her.

"What derailed the process was politics and personal agendas," Servacek said. "Certain individuals did not do their jobs and derailed the case."

He did not wish to elaborate.

Servacek took over the case in 1992 from retiring Cpl. Barry Horner, who was the first detective assigned to the investigation.

While most investigators had 12 to 14 cases to work on, the Kirkpatrick case was Servacek's sole responsibility for one year, 1994.

"Ninety-nine point nine percent of my day was working on the Tracey Kirkpatrick case," Servacek said. "It was probably the most sophisticated case I was associated with."
(snipped)
While police still have two persons of interest, Servacek said he is convinced only one is the killer.

He decided to retire in 1995, partly because of the Kirkpatrick case. It was rough telling the Kirkpatricks he would be retiring.

"I felt I let the Kirkpatricks down," Servacek said. "I don't know of anyone who knows the case better than I do."

Another article. This I find very interesting. This retired officer says he knew who did it, but politics have kept the dept. from charging a suspect.
I had also read somewhere in another format that at one point a major suspect was the son of an officer on the force. Maybe this is the "politics" that keep them from charging. This is all my my opinion/speculation.
I feel horrible for this officer who devoted a whole year to this case alone. He retired right after that year. That is telling. I feel even more horrible for the Kirkpatrick family that the killer is probably known and nothing is being done.
Here's another article:

By Gina Gallucci-White
News-Post Staff

Retired Frederick Police Department Detective Bob Servacek stands in front of the store where Tracey Kirkpatrick was found dead 20 years ago. Servacek investigated the homicide full time for a year and believes he knows the identity of the killer.

Retired Frederick Police Department Cpl. Bob Servacek is convinced he knows who killed Tracey Kirkpatrick.

Based on circumstantial evidence, he believes more than enough evidence exists for an arrest and a conviction. He believes a friend of the 17-year-old Brunswick High student killed her.

"What derailed the process was politics and personal agendas," Servacek said. "Certain individuals did not do their jobs and derailed the case."

Servacek took over the case in 1992 from retiring Cpl. Barry Horner, who was the first detective assigned to the investigation.

While most investigators had 12 to 14 cases to work on, the Kirkpatrick case was Servacek's sole responsibility for one year, 1994.

"Ninety-nine point nine percent of my day was working on the Tracey Kirkpatrick case," Servacek said. "It was probably the most sophisticated case I was associated with."

Servacek spent 171Ú2 years in the department's Criminal Investigations Division. He was at the department for 221Ú2 years.

He started from the beginning, poring over documents and conducting more interviews.

"He lived it, he breathed it," said Diane Kirkpatrick, Tracey's mother. "He never slept. He was constantly working on it."

Servacek thought about the case all the time. When he cut the grass, when he was with his children, when he slept, he said.

He still comes every year to the Westridge Shopping Center on the anniversary of Tracey's death. She was found stabbed to death in the storage room of the now-closed aileen Ladies Sportswear.

Servacek and Billy Kirkpatrick, Tracey's father, pace back and forth through the parking lot of the center and meet near the store. They talk about their families and how the past year has gone.

"We always come back the next March 15," Servacek said.

While police still have two persons of interest, Servacek said he is convinced only one is the killer.

He decided to retire in 1995, partly because of the Kirkpatrick case. It was rough telling the Kirkpatricks he would be retiring.

"I felt I let the Kirkpatricks down," Servacek said. "I don't know of anyone who knows the case better than I do."

Thanks. Great articles! It's good to know that they are still keeping tabs on the two suspects, and hopefully this new dna testing will bring a breakthrough.

OMG I am totally outraged by this. What a slap in the face to her family for this detective to say he knows who committed this awful crime, but nothing can be done because of "politics"? This can't be right, we have to do something to get them to look at this case. Who do you think we should e-mail? I'm so mad....ugh...she and her poor family deserve answers and so much more.

OMG I am totally outraged by this. What a slap in the face to her family for this detective to say he knows who committed this awful crime, but nothing can be done because of "politics"? This can't be right, we have to do something to get them to look at this case. Who do you think we should e-mail? I'm so mad....ugh...she and her poor family deserve answers and so much more.

I agree, I can't imagine the frustration felt by her family. I do feel sympathy for the detective too though. It sounds like he feels helpless and tortured by it. I don't understand how it is that he's been kept silent, but I'm not any sort of expert on the ins and outs of the law.

Here's another article:

By Gina Gallucci-White
News-Post Staff

(snipped)

This case is near and dear to me because it happened in my town and we happened to live about 1/4 mile from the back of the shopping center where the killer apparently escaped (the back door of the dress shop). Its our town oldest cold case. Tracey was in the graduating class of the son of the BF I had at the time. Her parents are very sweet people.
The 'rumor' that the son of a deputy, or cop, or city official (I have forgotten by now which it was) was widely thought to be true and most still think that boy was involved. He was questioned but never arrested. I don't know if he left town when he got older or where he has ended up.

jmo abbie

This case is being presented to Vidocq for their input.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2748689

I'm guessing that both existing suspects were ruled out, or the DNA tests were inconclusive on the blood droplets left heading out the back hallway. They were tested in 2009 against samples from both suspects. It's possible he was dripping her blood down the hall, I guess.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...k-police-downtown-frederick-diane-kirkpatrick

I'm glad the Frederick police are still pursuing it, and will be interested to see what if anything happens here.

Thanks for the update! It will be interesting to see what Vidocq comes up with!

I am assuming they already talked to the off again/on again boyfriend who she got back together with the night before. Especially since she had stayed at the mall late THAT night, causing her parents to become concerned. JMO, but it seems this appears to be a very personal crime so it would make sense if it was someone that knew her. I find the timing of when she rekindled the relationship with her friend interesting. Speculation only, but could it be someone else that may be jealous she was now seeing a former boyfriend?

ETA: I just found an updating article stating the case has been presented to the Society, although it does not go into detail on the results of that analysis. It appears to mainly state they are optimisitc about the results. Maybe it will provide the push forward they need. I certainly hope so for Tracy and her family!

http://www.wfmd.com/pages/localnews2.html?feed=119935&article=9905862

:bump: for Tracey . . . I watched a rerun of Unsolved Mysteries that featured her case last night and am thinking of her and her loved ones today! :beats:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back