Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, The DNA results have NOT came back yet....still waiting

Back on the old thread someone had wondered about happenings in the area, around the time of the murders. They had even stated any large EVENTS that would have drawn crowds etc.
I had started some reasearch on the T-shirt he was wearing, since we have so closely looked the the ring, the watch and the matches, I thought why not the Shirt, it could hold some clues into what he was like or his interest.
The T-shirt was for IMSA Camel GT series race. Actually the Sebring( florida) race in 1975. That race was in January 1975. I went back and looked at the racing schedule for 1975 and 1976.
What I found very interesting is this, There was a race August 7, 1976 in Talladega Alabama. They were killed August 9, 1976. The next race on the schedule was for August 15th 1976 in the Poconos. Pennsalvainya.
So, I wondered maybe he was a big racing fan, or a crew member of some sort.
Maybe they left the race Aug 7, and were on their way to the race in Penn, they would have been traveling in the right direction for that.
There were alot of foreign race car drivers in this series, which could have attracted alot of foreign race fans. Also, the race just PRIOR to the Aug 7th race was in Sonoma California on July 25th 1976. So, if they were travelling the country following these races, they could have left Cali, and went thru New Mexico, WHERE THEY COULD HAVE got the Matches, since this as one of the ONLY states they could get those. Also, those type of rings she was wearing.
So here is the BIGGY and actually what led me to research along these lines. I was looking up drug smuggling in the 1970's and I found out that there was a BIG DRUG SMUGGLING Ring among some of the MAJOR racing teams in this racing series. Yep the IMSA had a big drug scandal and people went to jail, there were attempted murders etc etc. They were smuggling drugs to finance their racing teams. These were rich and powerful people. Of of the major players was a man named John Paul Sr.
The man the actually found the racing series even SAID IMSA COULD STAND FOR THE "INTERNATIONAL DRUG SMUGGLERS ASSOCIATION"

I found this info

It seems he is once again a wanted fugitive this time for the disappearace of his girlfriend at the time, in Florida

John Paul Sr., the former race car driver who fled to Switzerland and forfeited a $500,000 bond rather than face an attempted-murder charge in Florida, has been returned to the state to stand trial. The 46-year-old Paul, who also faces Federal drug charges that he conspired to import 200,000 tons of Colombian marijuana into the United States from 1975 to 1983, is accused of shooting a Federal drug witness at a Florida boat dock in 1983.
March 30, 1986
In the early 1980s, IMSA sportscar racing was rife with drug scandals. These involved John Paul Sr and Jr, Randy Lanier and the Whittington Brothers. John Paul Jr was jailed from June 1986 to October 1988 after pleading guilty to racketeering, while John Paul Sr was given a 25 year sentence after pleading guilty to importing marijuana, tax evasion, possession of a false passport and shooting a federal witness. John Paul Sr had shot Stephen Carson, a witness in the Federal inquiry on narcotics smuggling in north Florida, on April 19 1982 at a boat ramp. Carson actually survived 5 bullets at close range and it was his testimony that made for a quick conviction.

On Dec 13th 1983 he failed to appear for sentencing and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Judge Richard Weinberg of St. Johns County Circuit Court ordered his $500,000 bond forfeited. He was on the run for several years and was eventually arrested in Geneva, Switzerland, by FBI officers.
He finally got out of jail in 1992 and bought a 55-foot yacht which he lived on. He changed the name of his boat to from "Island Girl" to "Diamond Girl." John Paul Sr. disappeared again in 2001 and was wanted for questioning regarding his missing ex-girlfriend in Miami.

hr

I found this info

It seems he is once again a wanted fugitive this time for the disappearace of his girlfriend at the time, in Florida

John Paul Sr., the former race car driver who fled to Switzerland and forfeited a $500,000 bond rather than face an attempted-murder charge in Florida, has been returned to the state to stand trial. The 46-year-old Paul, who also faces Federal drug charges that he conspired to import 200,000 tons of Colombian marijuana into the United States from 1975 to 1983, is accused of shooting a Federal drug witness at a Florida boat dock in 1983.
March 30, 1986
In the early 1980s, IMSA sportscar racing was rife with drug scandals. These involved John Paul Sr and Jr, Randy Lanier and the Whittington Brothers. John Paul Jr was jailed from June 1986 to October 1988 after pleading guilty to racketeering, while John Paul Sr was given a 25 year sentence after pleading guilty to importing marijuana, tax evasion, possession of a false passport and shooting a federal witness. John Paul Sr had shot Stephen Carson, a witness in the Federal inquiry on narcotics smuggling in north Florida, on April 19 1982 at a boat ramp. Carson actually survived 5 bullets at close range and it was his testimony that made for a quick conviction.

On Dec 13th 1983 he failed to appear for sentencing and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Judge Richard Weinberg of St. Johns County Circuit Court ordered his $500,000 bond forfeited. He was on the run for several years and was eventually arrested in Geneva, Switzerland, by FBI officers.
He finally got out of jail in 1992 and bought a 55-foot yacht which he lived on. He changed the name of his boat to from "Island Girl" to "Diamond Girl." John Paul Sr. disappeared again in 2001 and was wanted for questioning regarding his missing ex-girlfriend in Miami.

hr

Great find, phenolred! Many of us have always thought drugs had something to do with this but never connected it to racing. This information could be very significant in pointing the investgation in a new direction!

Back on the old thread someone had wondered about happenings in the area, around the time of the murders. They had even stated any large EVENTS that would have drawn crowds etc.
I had started some reasearch on the T-shirt he was wearing, since we have so closely looked the the ring, the watch and the matches, I thought why not the Shirt, it could hold some clues into what he was like or his interest.
The T-shirt was for IMSA Camel GT series race. Actually the Sebring( florida) race in 1975. That race was in January 1975. I went back and looked at the racing schedule for 1975 and 1976.
What I found very interesting is this, There was a race August 7, 1976 in Talladega Alabama. They were killed August 9, 1976. The next race on the schedule was for August 15th 1976 in the Poconos. Pennsalvainya.
So, I wondered maybe he was a big racing fan, or a crew member of some sort.
Maybe they left the race Aug 7, and were on their way to the race in Penn, they would have been traveling in the right direction for that.
There were alot of foreign race car drivers in this series, which could have attracted alot of foreign race fans. Also, the race just PRIOR to the Aug 7th race was in Sonoma California on July 25th 1976. So, if they were travelling the country following these races, they could have left Cali, and went thru New Mexico, WHERE THEY COULD HAVE got the Matches, since this as one of the ONLY states they could get those. Also, those type of rings she was wearing.
So here is the BIGGY and actually what led me to research along these lines. I was looking up drug smuggling in the 1970's and I found out that there was a BIG DRUG SMUGGLING Ring among some of the MAJOR racing teams in this racing series. Yep the IMSA had a big drug scandal and people went to jail, there were attempted murders etc etc. They were smuggling drugs to finance their racing teams. These were rich and powerful people. Of of the major players was a man named John Paul Sr.
The man the actually found the racing series even SAID IMSA COULD STAND FOR THE "INTERNATIONAL DRUG SMUGGLERS ASSOCIATION"
The matches could have also come from the Grants Truck Stops in New Mexico, Nebraska or Idaho. I also think IF they were drug dealers they would of had lots of money I have never known a drug dealer that was broke. I think the guy that had the gun that killed them has something to do with killing John and Jane Doe. I think somebody covered something up there.
http://www.myspace.com/helpidunknownman1976

http://www.myspace.com/helpidunknownwoman1976

I noticed there is another famous race track near where they were murdered. Darlington. Also, I have been lurking around some of the racing message boards and have found several that are talking about the drug issue and how big it was within the racing community just THE IMSA SERIES. So after lurking for awhile I signed up at one of them and posted a message about the drugs and said something about a couple of unidentified people and wondered if it had a connection. They deleted my post rather quickly. Then completely blocked me erased me from the whole foruom. I tried sigining in and it says NO SUCH USER. I didnt say anything more than what the people on there were already saying. I had also asked since some of the people knew insiders, I asked if they might have know a guy and maybe a girl that were on a crew and they just dissapeared or stopped coming around 1976. HOW STRANGE why dont they want that asked?

here is a link for more info
http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=161778

Here's a reply on what Sr. is up to.

http://www.unsolved.com/0213-Wood.html

Whoa, Phenol, that is creepy. Yet very interesting.

Yean now we need to try and find any connection between these people that were financing their racing teams with drug smuggling and South or North Carolina. We have the Whittington brothers, Don was one Randy Lanier was a name and John Paul jr & Sr. Marty Hintz was mentioned on one website. Im sure there are other names but this is a start. They only had one suspect, Lonnie Henry he was the man who owend the murder weapon and later admitted to filing off the serial number I wonder if he or his friends had ties to Racing.

I think that the people that were hanging around that racing circuit back in 1976 are long gone. I am sure it's a whole new crowd of people now. It was 33 years ago. Like I said if these 2 were drug dealers they would of had money and they didn't seem to have any. I still think the guy that had the gun that was used to kill them has something to do with their death.

I think these 2 young people that were murdered, had been traveling around; vagabond style, hippie nomad almost during that time, and had witnessed something they weren't supposed to. They were murdered so they wouldn't say anything. They could have had a small camp set up nearby; the killer/s would have gotten rid of their belongings. I think they came from out west..
I think some towns want to keep their secrets..

Does anyone think there could be some kind of link to the Caledonia Jane Doe? She was found murdered in NY in 1979, she was wearing a jacket that may have some connection to racing, and, because of her tanned complexion (in November) and frosted hairstyle, there's a belief that she may have been from somewhere other than NY. Investigators took pollen samples from her clothing and it could have come from only four places, south Florida, Mexico, Arizona, and California. It's also been suggested that there may be some kind of connection to drugs. Racing, Drugs, Florida, it makes me wonder if there's some kind of connection between the two cases.

I don't know if anyone ever reads Brian's Predictions but I think this may be a possible lead. Someone requested a reading from Brian (Brian hasn't responded yet with a prediction, this is purely information) about a man named Jock from Vancouver BC. The dates sort of match but I don't know if this person has been ruled out as a possibility:

I would like to request a reading for a missing person. His name is John "Jock" Gwynne-Craig, his nickname is Jock, Jock Craig. He was born in N Vancouver BC April 1936 . However at the time of his disappearance he had a united states SS# and lived in Aspen Colorado. He was very athletic and he liked to ski, sail and fly. He disappeared in 1968, he left behind his small baby, his wife, and a business. His sister has not seem or heard from him since. The last know sighting of Jock was in 1978, when a social worker ( that had worked on his wifes case for help after he disappeared) spotted him in the Azores, Also. there is a report from 1978 that police boarded his boat called the "Happy Stars" in the Meditteranian for suspected drug running. He seems a highly unlikely drug runner as he was against that sort of lifestyle. He may have been the skipper of this boat, I think he owned a plane at the time of his disappearace also. He would be 72 yrs old today. His family wants to know what happended to him, it hurts them just not knowing if he is alive or dead. It would help ease their mind just knowing either way.

p.s. I realize there's something about a sighting in 1978, but who knows, right?

I don't know if anyone ever reads Brian's Predictions but I think this may be a possible lead. Someone requested a reading from Brian (Brian hasn't responded yet with a prediction, this is purely information) about a man named Jock from Vancouver BC. The dates sort of match but I don't know if this person has been ruled out as a possibility:

I googled that name and seen where "Phenolred" posted about that same name on another site. We can check with him/her. Likely has more information on him.

Does anyone think there could be some kind of link to the Caledonia Jane Doe? She was found murdered in NY in 1979, she was wearing a jacket that may have some connection to racing, and, because of her tanned complexion (in November) and frosted hairstyle, there's a belief that she may have been from somewhere other than NY. Investigators took pollen samples from her clothing and it could have come from only four places, south Florida, Mexico, Arizona, and California. It's also been suggested that there may be some kind of connection to drugs. Racing, Drugs, Florida, it makes me wonder if there's some kind of connection between the two cases.
Great Minds think alike.....Yesterday I was reading about her too. I had the thought about getting these two's clothing sampled. I read somewhere else that Texas A&M did the testing.

I also LOVAE the idea Belive posted about the oxygen in the teeth, it indicated where a person has lived its AMAZING!! I would love for these two to get tested for that, at least it would narrow down an area where they lived and we could concentrate in that area.

I would like to request a reading for a missing person. His name is John "Jock" Gwynne-Craig, his nickname is Jock, Jock Craig. He was born in N Vancouver BC April 1936 . However at the time of his disappearance he had a united states SS# and lived in Aspen Colorado. He was very athletic and he liked to ski, sail and fly. He disappeared in 1968, he left behind his small baby, his wife, and a business. His sister has not seem or heard from him since. The last know sighting of Jock was in 1978, when a social worker ( that had worked on his wifes case for help after he disappeared) spotted him in the Azores, Also. there is a report from 1978 that police boarded his boat called the "Happy Stars" in the Meditteranian for suspected drug running. He seems a highly unlikely drug runner as he was against that sort of lifestyle. He may have been the skipper of this boat, I think he owned a plane at the time of his disappearace also. He would be 72 yrs old today. His family wants to know what happended to him, it hurts them just not knowing if he is alive or dead. It would help ease their mind just knowing either way.

Good find However, it was ME that sent this request to Brian....AND I am HAPPY to SAY THAT JOCK has be FOUND ALIVE AND WELL...he and his sister and his son are now working on mending their relationship....

I found that Jock while searching for a match to the male doe, when I saw the posting from his sister I was SO SURE it was our Doe but after she sent me pics etc it was NOT HIM, and really strange side note Jock was found VERY soon after I posted that request to Brian, I have seen emailed him to say Jock has been found.

She was also wearing the same kind of jewerly as Jane, turquouise. Indian looking

Ok now Im really freaking out... Another thread that I posted on yesterday, there are now talking about a racing connection. I NEVER mentioned it or even thought about it in that case.

Here is a link to the thread in Cold Cases under Bradford Photo. He was a serial killer

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60531

here are some of the post
Funny, when I viewed the pic and the wall, the first thing I thought was it had something to do with auto racing. Then I clicked on the link and it mentioned that Bradford picked up girls at race tracks. What do you think? Daytona? Never been there but I'm wondering... its in Florida where Suzanne's sister disappeared, where Bradford was said to be at some point in time. Just a thought.
Image2.gif

Hi
I thought of auto racing too.Is there a race track in California?There is also a race track in Miami Florida where Rosario Gonzales came up missing in 1984. possible Christopher Bernard Wilder (serial killer)victim.Bradford sounds alot like Wilder to me.I wonder if they knew each other.Where all in Florida and what years was Bradford said to be in Florida?

here is a link to a poster of people they are trying to identify from pics found on the serial killer he was a photographer, do any of these people look like our UID Jock & JANE DOE???

http://lacountymurders.com/wanted/Bradford-006-00038-3100-444.pdf

Phenol, can you link me to where Believe posted about the oxygen in the teeth? I am wondering if those that live near cleaner air have more oxygen in their teeth. One time i had a friend come from Nevada to visit me at a home in NY and she was literally coughing up phlem that was black, as if she was in a coal mine. I think her lungs were not used to NY air.

Here is it

I did a copy paste from the Benjaman Kyle thread regarding a new technology that can narrow down the physical locations where someone lived. This was posted by Gina M today, and first raised by cubby-

"That info about the study of the oxygen in the teeth is fascinating! I went and read up on it...here are a few links for anyone who's interested:
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=85576
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tab01_la yout

The guy who is working on these studies:
http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/geo/f...rcz/index.html
http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/geo/f...rch/index.html

Looks like it is called trace element geochemistry. "Schwarcz said bones collect oxygen isotopes that act as geographic markers throughout a person's life." "

I wonder if the researcher would be interested in trying to use this for this case-thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni