ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the photo of the campsite with the double chair and single chair is from where they are camped after DeOrr disappeared, during the searches. I am guessing that GGP and friend are not still with them, right?

I agree with everything you said. I don't think my proposed theory that there was never a reported store sighting at all, hence the "rumor," made sense but the idea popped in my head (full disclosure: I'm drinking wine) and I wanted to flesh it out a bit but I can't wrap my head around why that would make sense. Especially since, as you point out, DK seems to want to sell us on his version of the store situation rather than suggest that the store sighting didn't occur at all.

I just don't know. But I want to know.

You made me laugh out loud! (the full disclosure part) I think the entire sighting could have been just a rumor (or a mistake), except for the way DK reacted to it. I think they must be hearing things from people in the area/friends/family and are responding to them. I can't understand why they would bother to respond to strangers on FB. Since we're not "on the ground" we have no idea what rumors are going around. Are they just surrounded by vipers or are they projecting? How do they even hear this gossip when they're out at the campsite, with poor cell service? Maybe it's easier to focus on "rumors" than think about your missing child? I would think it would be endlessly exhausting.

Yes, that is what I remember him saying. I think DK is just somewhat poorly spoken and was trying to use terms outside of his comfort level, instead of just speaking plainly. I'm not sure why. But I got the definite impression that it was Deorr's actual security blanket, not a replica. It would seem completely illogical for parents in the middle of a search for their son to go out and procure an identical security blanket to the one he owned, and to be fiercely attached to this blanket.

I wouldn't think that was so weird, especially if LE took the real one for evidence/scent. I do think it's weird to make a big deal about it either way. JMO.

It doesn't get as much traffic as you might think. If you're traveling north from southern Idaho to Montana, most people stay on I-15. Highway 28 is mainly only used to travel to the Lemhi Valley, and Salmon is the largest town in the county with only 3,100 people. In the summer it does get more traffic, but I would be surprised if more than 200-300 vehicles typically drive by each day (that number definitely fluctuates though, and it was during the weekend so that number might have been higher) and from what I've always seen, not that many of those vehicles typically stop there.

fishing_idaho, are you local? If so, what are people saying around there? And why are they thinking what they're saying?

That's what I get Jules71. Mom thinks it's unusual because IF Deorr toddled off on his own, he would have grabbed his blanket. Meaning she wonders if he was snatched.

As it is, the blanket, cup, and monkey ? got left in the truck. Why did Deorr not pitch a fit when he got out of the truck without his favorites? Now how is Deorr going to get these things out? . Deorr did not have access to these items whether he toddled off or was snatched.

I know we've discussed children this age climbing up to open doors and getting in by themselves. Apparently this is not what happened or these favorite items would not still be in the truck.

1st this interview was published July 13th, not sure when the interview was but it was definitely earlier on. When a child has a favorite "go to" blanket, parents may buy two + for the child to switch out for washing etc. These 'carry-around' blankets get dirty & sometimes parents rotate these blankets for cleaning purposes. Both my little Grandsons have double the same blanket.

I just got done re-listening and (I believe) he said "this represents an exact replica of a... security blanket (pause) for everybody this is his actual blanket."

ETA - the blanket is not missing or is it?

BBM

BUMP for Questions List consideration (?):

Note: For whoever is compiling the questions list, consider adding this ??

(Sorry I forget the name of the WS poster who graciously agreed to compile a questions list. At the moment, I'm unable to view the current posters on this thread to jog my memory. I'm also reading backwards to try to catch up.)
TIA

As it is, the blanket, cup, and monkey ? got left in the truck. Why did Deorr not pitch a fit when he got out of the truck without his favorites? Now how is Deorr going to get these things out? . Deorr did not have access to these items whether he toddled off or was snatched.

I know we've discussed children this age climbing up to open doors and getting in by themselves. Apparently this is not what happened or these favorite items would not still be in the truck.

They don't say his favs were in the truck, only at the campsite. From CNN transcript:

EATON: Yes, it would be a huge clue. No sight of that. No sight of his toy monkey, of his cup, of his blanket. Those are three items his parents say he always takes with him wherever he goes. Those were left behind at the campsite. No sign of any of those things, no sign of his cowboy boots, of his camouflage jacket that he was wearing, of his pajama pants, nothing."

From what ive been told, scent dogs are better with saliva, dna of some sort. so lets say his sippie cup, pacifier, wet diaper...etc... Maybe they are using his cup

I would think a 2 year-old's security blanket would have plenty of saliva on it. :) But if I was the parents, I could see why you wouldn't want to give it up if there were alternatives.

You made me laugh out loud! (the full disclosure part) I think the entire sighting could have been just a rumor (or a mistake), except for the way DK reacted to it. I think they must be hearing things from people in the area/friends/family and are responding to them. I can't understand why they would bother to respond to strangers on FB. Since we're not "on the ground" we have no idea what rumors are going around. Are they just surrounded by vipers or are they projecting? How do they even hear this gossip when they're out at the campsite, with poor cell service? Maybe it's easier to focus on "rumors" than think about your missing child? I would think it would be endlessly exhausting.

Bold mine.

I think you're getting in my head a bit because I just went back and re-watched the interview. When I consider that little DeOrr went missing on Friday and the interview was Monday, that doesn't leave much time to even become aware of rumors on SM.

I also noticed a rumor that DK addresses that seems...off. He says that there's a rumor that his employer won't let him come off the road to search for his kid. I imagine that the camping trip is a weekend affair so DK wouldn't have been expected back at work until maybe sometime on Sunday or Monday. If that's the case, by the time he's giving the interview on Monday, he's missed maybe a full day of work? And sometime before that the rumor mill has already said that he won't get time off of work for a search that, if little DeOrr was successfully found, could have ended at any time? At that point, the need for an extended time off of work for a prolonged search shouldn't have been a forgone conclusion, right?

Why would there be rumors about his job security and any time off that may be necessary even exist at that point, let alone have enough steam to address them in the one sit down interview given by the parents?

I'm curious what everyone's' idea of "lots of traffic is". It is not actually a busy highway at all compared to highways between large cities. On busy days, I might pass 30-40 vehicles heading the opposite direction from Salmon to Lone Pine. Also, if it is a busy day, it's typically a Sunday afternoon when people from Salmon are heading back from Idaho Falls. Most people from Salmon just drive right through Leadore because they're prepared for a 2.5 hour drive (we have to log a lot of miles to travel anywhere, the two closest towns over 20,000 are both 2.5 hours aways). On Fridays it does get busier with Idaho Falls area people coming up to camp, but I've never noticed that gas station busy at all. There's nobody there as often as I see someone at it. Also, campers usually do their shopping before they come up because the prices are much cheaper in southern Idaho.

This is very interesting. IF the clerk actually spotted a blond toddler that day, it explains why she would remember the details so well and why seeing the child could be so significant.

I wouldn't think that was so weird, especially if LE took the real one for evidence/scent. I do think it's weird to make a big deal about it either way. JMO.

I really don't think going very far out of your way (they were many miles from any city of size) to obtain a matching blanket (if such an item could even easily be obtained) to the one that your son apparently did not even have with him would be in any way a priority when your son is missing in the wilderness. If he had been last seen carrying it and it could help with finding him, sure. But that was not, apparently, the case.

They don't say his favs were in the truck, only at the campsite. From CNN transcript:

EATON: Yes, it would be a huge clue. No sight of that. No sight of his toy monkey, of his cup, of his blanket. Those are three items his parents say he always takes with him wherever he goes. Those were left behind at the campsite. No sign of any of those things, no sign of his cowboy boots, of his camouflage jacket that he was wearing, of his pajama pants, nothing."
I believe it was People magazine that stated blanket was in the truck and now mom has it and holds it and loves on it, etc.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Given the circumstances of Deorr's "vanishing" (literally), the mountain lion is the one that fits. I have said I also realize drowning is very possible, but after the three week mark (the time the sheriff said a body would surface, which is Friday) that possibility becomes less probable.

I don't believe at all that the parents et al are involved. Although an abduction is possible, it just doesn't seem to fit the scenario, IMO.

I actually agree that the Mountain Lion theory is one that is a possibility, one that I've always kept in mind and never discredited as plausible.

On the other hand, I also believe there are other alternative probabilities as to what happened to this sweet little boy. Unfortunately I cannot go into them at this point. That aside, I appreciate your theories 100%.

Regarding whether the parents are involved or not though, all I can say is, no comment. :wave:

Around here... (North Idaho), "hearsay" is a nice way to say "gossip" and it is very common. I doubt he watches court TV or Nancy Grace... So I am pretty sure he just means gossip.

I also believe that when he said replica he meant that little Deorr and his blanket was "just like" Lynas with his blanket, you know... an exact replica.

Pretty exciting stuff to see all of those helicopter s and first responders during the Search and Rescue, especially for a small town boy... But I just cannot get over how he went on and on about them in the first half of the interview. Where was the begging for his child's life? It was as if he was telling someone else's story.

Please add to question list:
1. How did GGF and IR get to campsite?
2. Does GGF walk with a cane or in a wheelchair?
3. Was camp set up when DK, JM, & little Deorr went back into Store.
4. Is little Deorr talking a lot, making complete sentences?

I haven't been able to find a statement in MSM that says DeOrr's favorite things were in the truck at the time he disappeared. I assumed so, because I believe it was DK's father who said the blanket was in the truck and JM hasn't let go of it, or something like that. After further thought, what if the blanket, cup and monkey were beside DeOrr at the campsite and were later put in the truck? That would explain why the parents think the items being left indicated abduction. However, if they were at the campsite, would LE let them just pack them up and put them in the truck, or would they collect them as evidence/tracking tools? Round and round. But it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie