Charles Ramsey - An Unexpected Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I am disappointed that this has become a contraversy. Whether he was first, last, an ex-con, he was a part of getting the police there to rescue the girls.
I had my close encounter with a serial killer and thankfully my now husband walked in and saved my life.
I would hate to think that someone would not do what was right because they would not want the press to dig into their background. I am pretty sure he embellished a little, but he did make the call. It is enough for me to be thankful he was there

"At some point Charles Ramsey, who lives next door to Castro, comes outside. Ramsey will say he's the one who kicked out a lower panel in the door and rescued Berry. Cordero will say he and Berry worked on both sides of the door to remove the panel. He, Marti and another witness will tell reporters Ramsey did not show up until after Berry was free."

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/05/30_minutes_that_ended_a_decade.html

Wonder what Amanda has to say about the details of her escape, as far as who did what to assist her?

Amanda then asked Ramsey to call 911. He gave her his phone. She didn't know how to uses his smart phone. So he took the phone back, and told her to go across the street and use the woman's phone to call, and he would call on his at the same time. After the calls were finished Amanda Berry and Charles Ramsey waited on the street for the police to arrive. The others went back to their houses.

Ramsey told Amanda to go over to "the Dominican" - meaning Cordero - and use his phone. Cordero was with Amanda when she made the 911 call, that Jocelyn kept screaming for her Daddy (as we heard on the 911 tape) and at one point broke free from Amanda; he stopped Jocelyn from running back into Castro's house. Leaving her wig on the patio chair means she was also in the company of Marti and friends.

We know Amanda was within earshot of Ramsey towards the end of his 911 call because he screamed over asking if she needed an ambulance.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/05/30_minutes_that_ended_a_decade.html

While Berry speaks with a dispatcher, the 6-year-old cries for her Daddy and runs back toward Castro's house. Cordero stops her. In the commotion, her wig begins falling off. Berry removes it and leaves it on one of the patio chairs.

a dozen Cleveland area restaurants said they would give Charles Ramsey "free burgers for life" because of the way he helped rescue ...

Ramsey, as The Plain Dealer has reported, says no thank you.

"He is encouraging people to do things that will help the victims," says attorney Patricia Walker, who is representing Ramsey.

Ramsey is also "disgusted" with an online video game "that depicts him and Ariel Castro, the man accused of holding the women hostages, throwing hamburgers at each other," the Plain Dealer says.

According to the newspaper, "Walker said Ramsey hired her seeking protection with intellectual and property rights, seeking more control over his likeness, name and voice."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...charles-ramsey-says-no-thanks-to-free-burgers

I know he'll probably be criticized heavily for this, but I'm glad he is working with them. Sadly it seems he's going to be exploited regardless, so it's good he has someone on "his" side so to speak. He seems to be the most outspoken, but I hope the others (Cordero and whoever else) will do the same if they start getting requests for speaking engagements.

Given his other actions and statements in terms of money to date, I'm hopeful he'll donate some of the money earned towards helping the victims.

a dozen Cleveland area restaurants said they would give Charles Ramsey "free burgers for life" because of the way he helped rescue ...

Ramsey, as The Plain Dealer has reported, says no thank you.

"He is encouraging people to do things that will help the victims," says attorney Patricia Walker, who is representing Ramsey.

Ramsey is also "disgusted" with an online video game "that depicts him and Ariel Castro, the man accused of holding the women hostages, throwing hamburgers at each other," the Plain Dealer says.

According to the newspaper, "Walker said Ramsey hired her seeking protection with intellectual and property rights, seeking more control over his likeness, name and voice."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...charles-ramsey-says-no-thanks-to-free-burgers

About the free burgers... I dunno, IMO he might's well enjoy them. He's given McD's in particular a bunch of publicity, not to mention I'm sure the restaurants throw away more food in a day than the man could eat in a week, so I doubt it'd cost them much at all unless he starts picking up burgers for his entire neighborhood every day or something. I wonder if there's a way he could turn it into something beneficial for the victims or for the community.

It frustrates me that he's almost being made to look like he's seeking money, freebies, etc. in all this - like he somehow wouldn't have helped except he knew something good would come out of it for him. I haven't heard that said directly, it's just kind of a weird vibe that I get anytime there's something put out about him getting money in particular. I do think he enjoys the publicity some, but I don't think that has anything at all to do with him deciding to help that day. I'm sure he had no idea all this would happen.

RE: the game, you've got to be kidding me. That's just gross. I know it's just the way things go, but it makes me sad to think someone has to seek legal control over their "look" and voice. I bet if you told him 6 months ago he'd even be considering something like this he'd have laughed.

JerseyGirl unrelated to your post, just jumping off here - I'm also a little frustrated by the "I saved them," "no, *I* saved them..." crud that seems to be going back and forth. I haven't commented on it much because I know it's an expected topic on this thread and I understand people wanting to discuss it, but every time I read the latest "who did what?" articles I just want to scream "THE GIRLS WERE RESCUED, who cares who did what??"

IMO the people who were there know what happened, or at least their own recollection of it, and they all deserve to be proud of themselves taking action. Even though it's gotten somewhat more sticky since money's been discussed, I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be turning into a fight over money. (at least from what we can see/read) None of them seem to be beating down doors asking for reward money, and I'm glad for that.

I don't think anyone doubts Ramsey was there at the scene, it's when he appeared is that at question. I don't get it though because most of the Spanish speakers there say she was already out of the house when he appeared, but they say he did help but don't say what he did. Maybe it was because he could speak English to her, I don't know.

Anyone on here proficient in Spanish AND willing to translate some interviews? :) I'm curious how much of the ever-evolving stories are due to crappy translations. Seems like some of the relatives who are translating for the witnesses are less adept at English than the witnesses themselves... just sayin'.

Honestly, I don't know whom to believe, but I can tell you that it isn't Ramsey. I do not want to get on his bad side though. Perhaps his old days of wife-beating were in poor taste to bring up, but I still <3 you, WEWS (thank you Paul Kiska, John Kosich, Stephanie Ramirez, et al).

As far as
current bad behavior from our "hero", I'm scared of what Ramsey-lovers will do to me if I elaborate further, so there you have it. On a lighter note, whether you love him or hate him, can we all just appreciate the "Dead Giveaway" remix?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DazHGdjZtN8"]Charles Ramsey "dead giveaway" remix:[/ame]

Charles Ramsey, broke and homeless:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...less_n_3600179.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

"But the Mail also reports that Ramsey has made around $50,000 over the last two months largely from "corporate speaking engagements" and money raised by private individuals as a reward for helping the kidnapping victims."

Wow...

He can't hold down a job because employers and landlords don't want the extra attention that comes with taking him on...
One of those restaurants that jumped on the Charles Ramsey bandwagon should maybe offer him a job instead of free burgers for life.

It's a strange place to be - too famous to lead a normal life, not famous enough to really make money off of his fame.

I do wish him the best though, even if I don't think he was quite as important to Amanda's escape as he claims.
He's got style though, I'd love to meet the guy. I'd definitely pay a few bucks to hear him speak on just about any subject.

Wow...

He can't hold down a job because employers and landlords don't want the extra attention that comes with taking him on...
One of those restaurants that jumped on the Charles Ramsey bandwagon should maybe offer him a job instead of free burgers for life.

It's a strange place to be - too famous to lead a normal life, not famous enough to really make money off of his fame.

I do wish him the best though, even if I don't think he was quite as important to Amanda's escape as he claims.
He's got style though, I'd love to meet the guy. I'd definitely pay a few bucks to hear him speak on just about any subject.

I'd like to hear the other side of the story. Ramsey's employer was interviewed when the girls were first freed, he was very supportive of Ramsey in spite of Ramsey being suspended from his job at the time. I have a difficult time believing he fired Ramsey for bringing people into his restaurant - it's great free advertising. Ramsey claims he had to leave his home because the neighbors accused him of 'exaggerating' his part in the rescue. A big tough guy like Ramsey chose to be homeless rather than face some harmless criticism from the neighbors? I find that hard to believe.

I believe Ramsey got the $50k plus donations from the public, told his boss and his landlord to shove it, and lived high on the hog until the money ran out. I think he's crying poor and hoping for more donations. I hope no one is foolish enough to send him any.

And he is living in Cleveland OH. You can buy a house there for that kind of money- what does he need a BMW for if he doesn't have a house? Reminds me of lottery winners that win a large some of money, but couple of years later they are broke again.

He's backing down from what was reported in the Daily Mail, calling the whole article BS.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=306711

He says he's borrowing money from friends, can't find a job, and is living with friends until he finds an apartment. Someone with no money who is supporting himself with borrowed money is NOT going to be approved to rent an apartment. So what part of broke and homeless is he calling BS?

Another article with direct quotes attributed to Ramsey:

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/charles-ramsey-cleveland-hero-broke/

"I don't have an address," he said. "I don't live anywhere. I go from house to house, to friend to friend, to family member to family member. What I've been doing for the past four weeks is wearing out my welcome with everybody who knows me. Some places I don't think I'm allowed to go back. I don't know. I don't do nothing."

And he is living in Cleveland OH. You can buy a house there for that kind of money- what does he need a BMW for if he doesn't have a house? Reminds me of lottery winners that win a large some of money, but couple of years later they are broke again.

That was my first thought too. I just checked, there are over 100 homes for sale in Cleveland for under $10,000.

That was my first thought too. I just checked, there are over 100 homes for sale in Cleveland for under $10,000.

Wow.
There's more than a few properties there selling for less than $5k. He could have bought a used Hyundai instead of the Beamer and got a house on the side.

Well, since I have never rescued three women and child from captivity, I will refrain from scathing judgements on the man's character, but that's just me. :twocents:

It is the opinion of some people, including me, that Charles Ramsey did NOT rescue anyone but rather is attempting to gain fame and fortune off of someone else's heroic good dead. I happen to believe that Ramsey is nothing but a lying con-man who is making fools out of the American public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard