Hurricane Harvey - August 2017 #2

It's a one storey ranch Spellbound, most furniture ruined, all lower cabs in kitchen and bathrooms, doors, etc., we have a guy and his crew who has done work on the house for us before so he's trusted and hurrying along as quickly as he can.

We went to our next door neighbor's the evening the water started coming into the house, they have a two storey and we all stayed upstairs, the next morning, when the water kept slowly rising we were evacuated on a big truck to dry land and went with our neighbor to her Dad's house about 40 miles away in horse country. lol

We stayed 5 days, such lovely people to put us up for so long, then finally got a motel room, we had signed up with Fema and approved for short-term housing but all the Fema-list motel rooms were booked so paid out of pocket for 9 days then got a fema motel room with a tiny kitchen, where we are now.

Thanks totesmagoat, we thought we were going to get lucky and not get it in the house (or have to leave), the houses closer to the end of the street only had it in their yards but luck was not on our side. Our insurance said if the water had come from the top down it would have been covered, the adjuster inspected the roof for any leaks but it was obvious the water came from the reservoir release 'bottom up' so no coverage. Has your Mom's roof been inspected by her home owner's insurance people? Maybe it'll be covered and they'll have one less expense to worry about.

Finding furniture in stock is tricky, going to try Ikea, which ought to be interesting since I'm not really a Thoroughly (or even barely) Modern Millie. lol

I sure hope Bootsctr and BFMD check in soon and let us know what's going on with them, it's awfully concerning.

Oh Geevee! How awful that insurance won't pay for the bottom up water! I think they just make up reasons to say no. I mean what do we pay for?

I'm pretty sure it was the insurance that did the inspection but I will ask. I had a friend who had just bought a new manufactured home with every kind of insurance she could think of. We had a storm and the wind blew the water in and did some damage right around the door area. The insurance told her they don't cover water damage from wind. I'm not kidding.

On the furniture, please don't settle for something you don't want. It's better to have an empty house than a house full of stuff that you don't like. Maybe by the time you can get back in the stores will be stocked. I hope your insurance is going to cover all the furnishings.

I wish Bootsctr and BFMD would check in or that someone could check on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good grief ... seems there is some way to get assistance for all the repairs/replacement when it was a reservoir that caused your damage. Are we supposed to get reservoir insurance next? There must be many, many others going through the same as you. I sound like a stuck record, but I just can't imagine what it is like. I am sure what I imagine is only a drip in the bucket. Just awful, sad, frustrating. Well, take it as an adventure and try to not get too stressed (ha! Is that possible?).

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]We have a few more members with unknown outcomes:
HURRICANE HARVY, [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]WS members:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Bootsctr ...[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] last visited WS 9/3[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]BFMD[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] (BigFatMommyDog) last WS visit 8/28[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]txanmom[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] - Houston. House flooded 3 ft., lost everything; in small rental now; had flood insurance. Last post 9/14[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Bessie[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] last post 9/7; last visited WS yesterday[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]CocoChanel: [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Last post 8/31; last visited WS 9/21 [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Geevee. [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]flooded from Reservoir, renting during repairs. Lost everything[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold].[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] Staying in hotel. Back posting with us.[/FONT][/FONT]

It was kind of a kick in the pants to find out they weren't covering anything but they did say filing a claim (to get the denial letter Fema requires) wouldn't raise our premiums or count against us as it was a 'named storm'. I keep telling myself laughing is better than crying. lol

Oh Geevee! How awful that insurance won't pay for the bottom up water! I think they just make up reasons to say no. I mean what do we pay for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geevee, do you just have homeowners insurance or both homeowners and flood? The water up means flooding (flood insurance) and the water down means homeowners insurance claim.

We had flooding in Sandy and everything went through the flood insurance. the only items homeowners paid was a few tiles off the roof, missing siding, and fencing. The bulk came from flood insurance (for the flooding). We didn't receive ANY FEMA assistance since when we applied they had us go through insurance companies. While my sister who was a renter received FEMA assistance, housing, and even money to help her replace her damaged car. We had nothing of that sort. We didn't even carry contents insurance which really set us back financially. Now we have it, but wish we carried it prior to Sandy. I never realized how important contents was until after the storm.

http://time.com/4960763/flesh-eating-bacteria-texas-houston-harvey/
[FONT=&amp]
Woman Dies From Flesh-Eating Bacteria After Falling Into Hurricane Harvey Floodwaters

Today, [FONT=&amp]9:31 AM ET[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]A 77-year-old Texas woman died after falling into contaminated Hurricane Harvey floodwaters, where she contracted a deadly flesh-eating infection, health officials said. [...][/FONT]

Saturday is move back home day, the main things (walls, floors, cabs, sinks) are completed, the fridge was delivered yesterday, some things are not as I would have chosen but materials are in scarce supply with so many having to replace so much. The contractor and his men worked very hard to get it in livable shape as soon as possible, and for that I am forever grateful.

We don't have much furniture that survived (a couple chairs and tables mostly) and what I could order won't be delivered for more than a week after we get back in, but we'll manage and be grateful we've at least got a house to go back to. I do have an air mattress we can use until the ordered one arrives. lol

No word from Fema yet on inspection, but at least they put a roof over our heads for part of the time it took to get the house repaired. Trying to see silver linings here but the challenges ahead make it a little tough at times.

My hub had a stroke near the end of June and was only 3 weeks out of the stroke rehab hospital when the flooding happened, he had surgery on one blocked carotid artery in July and has to have the other one done sometime soon, when he can return to work we have no idea. But for right now, at least we have each other, support from family and friends, and are getting through all of this one day at a time.

Thanks for all of the support and good wishes from my fellow sleuthers, you've given me many warm fuzzies and smiles during these trying times. I sure hope our missing friends turn up soon and not much the worse for wear.

I don't think so, altojack. Thanks for checking in and asking.

I just feel so concerned fir them Spellbound. As you'll have noticed I'm not from these parts but tucked away in the UK no less. Funny though with following threads, names become familiar, a certain style of post catches your eye. I just hope they are both ok and come forward soon.

Hey, we here in UK have been told by the weather man that the tail end if Maria is going to catches us here at the weekend. She has calmed down immensely but the north of UK and Scotland are going to be hit with high winds and lashing rain. Pleased I live in the East of the UK

http://time.com/4960763/flesh-eating-bacteria-texas-houston-harvey/
[FONT=&amp]
Woman Dies From Flesh-Eating Bacteria After Falling Into Hurricane Harvey Floodwaters

Today, [FONT=&amp]9:31 AM ET[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]A 77-year-old Texas woman died after falling into contaminated Hurricane Harvey floodwaters, where she contracted a deadly flesh-eating infection, health officials said. [...][/FONT]

How terribly devastating for her family, this is so so sad. Has there been any other reports of people contracting this deadly bug. Lots of video footage I saw., there was woman and children walking through waters. Of course the water may not have been contaminated then

Saturday is move back home day, the main things (walls, floors, cabs, sinks) are completed, the fridge was delivered yesterday, some things are not as I would have chosen but materials are in scarce supply with so many having to replace so much. The contractor and his men worked very hard to get it in livable shape as soon as possible, and for that I am forever grateful.

We don't have much furniture that survived (a couple chairs and tables mostly) and what I could order won't be delivered for more than a week after we get back in, but we'll manage and be grateful we've at least got a house to go back to. I do have an air mattress we can use until the ordered one arrives. lol

No word from Fema yet on inspection, but at least they put a roof over our heads for part of the time it took to get the house repaired. Trying to see silver linings here but the challenges ahead make it a little tough at times.

My hub had a stroke near the end of June and was only 3 weeks out of the stroke rehab hospital when the flooding happened, he had surgery on one blocked carotid artery in July and has to have the other one done sometime soon, when he can return to work we have no idea. But for right now, at least we have each other, support from family and friends, and are getting through all of this one day at a time.

Thanks for all of the support and good wishes from my fellow sleuthers, you've given me many warm fuzzies and smiles during these trying times. I sure hope our missing friends turn up soon and not much the worse for wear.

Oh geevee, my heart goes out to you sweetheart, over time you will eventually gather together replacements for what you've lost. But the biggest thing that you have still got is your roof over your heads, and your family. Good luck geevee xx

I just feel so concerned fir them Spellbound. As you'll have noticed I'm not from these parts but tucked away in the UK no less. Funny though with following threads, names become familiar, a certain style of post catches your eye. I just hope they are both ok and come forward soon.

Hey, we here in UK have been told by the weather man that the tail end if Maria is going to catches us here at the weekend. She has calmed down immensely but the north of UK and Scotland are going to be hit with high winds and lashing rain. Pleased I live in the East of the UK

that's really sweet and thoughtful, jack. Indeed, we often find a name or a personality that we "recognize" and tend to feel we know them. But one thing about WS .... when the chips are down nearly everyone pitches in one way or another to lift us back up. Bootsctr and BFMD know we are worried (I'd bet on that), and they will be bsck to fill us in on how much trouble this has been. And we will rally around and sing joyfully for their return. (Good thing you won;t be able to hear my off-key vocals :giggle: )

FYI .... one of our members lives in Puerto Rico and we were blessed to get an update early this morning finally. No power, no phone, but alive (Archangel85).
I hurt for all of PR and what they will go through for months.

Have you been to the Hurricane Maria thread? We are following as the storm threatens the U.K. lots of good stuff there. I wish you well and pray for no major difficulties for your area.
Maria's thread : http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Maria-September-2017&p=13654175#post13654175

I really miss our Bootsctr and BFMD here.... every day that goes by without them I wonder how and where they are. it's the "not knowing" that is the hardest part. I am confident they are safe, but whatever they are going through I hope they have a strong support system and the resources to get by OK.

oh, geevee, what an added stress to have your DH going through serious health issues and then for this to happen. I do not know how I would be coping in your shoes ---- though somehow we manage to do what needs to be done. But sometimes, when all is calm again is when the reality of all that has passed hits us enough to make our emotions go akilter. You take good care of yourself and treat yourself to some special pampering. even a nice, warm bubble bath in your "new" bathroom, or a sit-on-the-porch moment with no thoughts for anything but that one moment in time.

Sending an extra-special thought your way and a wish for a long spell of anxiety-free moments. Hoping your DH is well and can have his other surgery soon, and that you both find your newly remade home to be as cozy as it once was. It will all work out, luv. one step at a time, you can replace the things you are not happy with ---- or not. you may find they just fine. :hug:

Thanks altojack and Spellbound :), we're just trying to take it day by day and get through the best we can, a break from disasters would be appreciated though. lol

Fema inspected today!l I have no idea what to expect from them, the inspector 'strongly suggested' we fill out the SBA loan papers that they send out, so it doesn't sound like we'll be treated any differently than those who were flooded by the storm and not by an intentional flood, we'll see though, she said we'd hear something in about 10 days.

She was very surprised to see we had walls though. I told her our contractor was Superman who worked day and night to give my hub a safe place to live because of his stroke, she thought that was really awesome (and it is, can't say enough good about him, his efforts and crew).

Anyway, that's the update for now, thanks again for all of the warm thoughts, you all mean a very lot to me.

That’s a nice update, geevee. Hopefully you are both comfortable now that you feel home. fingers crossed that you get some financial assistance that will make it easier for you. I am so tired of the storms that I cannot imagine how it must been to be anywhere near where they could hit. What a crazy world we live in. if it isn’t one disaster it’s another lately. A lot of sadness recently — I appreciate hearing some positive news. :hug:

Hope everything goes smoothly geevee, you sound a little calmer I must say. I still struggle to come to terms with these disasters but I guess that's because I've never lived through what you've been through. We get 70 - 80 mph winds on occasions but it only lasts part of a day then it's gone.

Regards to the family, hope your hubs is ok xx

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]We have a few more members with unknown outcomes:
HURRICANE HARVY,[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]WS members:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Bootsctr ...[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] last visited WS 9/3[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]BFMD[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] (BigFatMommyDog) last WS visit 8/28[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]txanmom[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] - Houston. House flooded 3 ft., lost everything; in small rental now; had flood insurance. Last post 9/14[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Bessie[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] last post 9/7; last visited WS yesterday[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]CocoChanel: [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Last post 8/31; last visited WS 9/21 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Geevee. [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]flooded from Reservoir, renting during repairs. Lost everything[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold].[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay] Staying in hotel. Back posting with us.[/FONT][/FONT]

Still keeping all of these fellow websleuthers in my prayers. Any updates/checkins?

This Harvey story warmed my heart today, wanted to share - Texas inmates donated over $53K to Hurricane Harvey relief... https://www.news4jax.com/news/national/texas-inmates-pool-53k-for-hurricane-harvey-victims

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back