CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read through a few pages and have to stop.

As a member of the Westminster community, I feel sick about what happened to Jessica.

I feel sick that a 17-year-old is accused of committing the crime.

These are both awful things. I don't like to think that either 10-year-olds can be brutally murdered here, or that a 17-year-old who lives here could do that. Even owing for mental illness, it's difficult news to wrap my mind around.

With those things in mind, I'm finding it very difficult to read some of the violent acts people have suggested for the accused 17-year-old either as punishment or in hopes of getting more information about what happened and whether there are other victims.

I'm new here, but I bet this comes up a lot. I saw the same stuff with other teenagers arrested this week. I feel like we're supposed to be better than the criminals we condemn, not join them in violence. (This is not a statement on capital punishment, but on the torture suggested by many, particularly in social media commentary.)

jessica.ridgeway.2.jpg

:grouphug: and peace to all who are gonna be here for Jessica much longer into the night than I will be. I need to watch some cute penguin videos on YouTube and snuggle up beside my kitty (if he will let me).

Chilling
So unusual that around the neighborhood, Sigg’s stare was noticed.

“She was freaked out by a teenager staring at her at the park.” Emily Alexander says Sigg’s stare was so cold that her daughter remembered it days later.

“After Jessica was kidnapped she told me she knew who it was. She was sure she knew who it was and it was this teenager. A few days later he was walking by and she pointed him out and she said ‘That’s the guy!’ That was him.”

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/exclusive-details-about-arrest-kidnapping-of-jessica-ridgeway-revealed/

Yes, and I find ALL of those expressions to be rude, inconsiderate, and offensive. Thanks for pointing this out. I would love to share that my daughter (who people could say is "not very smart") would never ever say something so mean about others. If people would take the time to get to know those with intellectual disabilities, they'd learn that they don't judge others. To be honest, my daughter, who is quite high-functioning, doesn't even "get" that people are any different from her. She's FAR better off than most of the "smart" people :)

Agreed. And even if someone else has another meaning behind the phrase, it is the kind thing to do to apologize for offending and not use it again in their company.

Man...eerie to read the report from that little girl who said the perp's stare was ice cold and she knew who it was who took Jessica to begin with, but her mother didn't believe her. Crime of opportunity? Kinda.... because it was opportune that he came across Jessica alone, but obviously he had his eye on these little girls at the park previously.

Ugh.... from that last local news link.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Your welcome. That was also me who mentioned his confession. But even though he had been arrested, he still confessed. He had no need to.

Been years since I read The Stranger Beside Me, but I thought it was more that he was bragging. I suppose this ties into the larger issue of "does confession equal remorse", and I don't recall if Bundy ever expressed remorse otherwise.

Great work LE and everyone who helped nail this monster. Hope he gets the death penalty. Where was that close up photo-that wasn't a mug shot, right? If so why does he seem to be wearing the necklace?

Just a thought about his CSI interest-instantly made me think of Dexter. I like the show (well, the actor!!) but it does make serial killing kind of 'sexy' for lack of a better word.

Sanpaku eyes-wow, you learn something new every day. Now I will be looking for them everywhere!!

I'm new here, but I bet this comes up a lot. I saw the same stuff with other teenagers arrested this week. I feel like we're supposed to be better than the criminals we condemn, not join them in violence. (This is not a statement on capital punishment, but on the torture suggested by many, particularly in social media commentary.)

I agree. Even though I have no sympathy for a person who kills a child and feel there is no justification. Even though I feel they should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

The calls for torture or violence are awful to me. I understand the rage. I myself get super angry and want vengeance, but it's not right, IMO.

wonder if this mother ever reported this?
instincts are sometimes right on point!

She said she thought her daughter was just being paranoid, when in fact she was right.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I think there is generally some kind of environmental factor in these case. For example, those saying Bundy had a good life? He was raised as his mother's brother. He found out his sister, who he lived with, was actually his mother. And his father/grandfather?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy

Sometimes there is an organic factor as well. Lots of serial killers for example, have been found to have suffered a head injury of some sort.

But to me, there is something much more. Because millions of people suffer head injuries and traumatic childhoods. And the vast majority do not murder. And what is it? Some call it evil, some call it choice. But it makes me feel coldly toward such a person.

No, I don't get into trying to justify or explain away their behavior. If they are not slapping feces on themselves while committing murder or shortly thereafter, (semi-exaggeration alert), I'm not excusing them on the basis of bad wiring or mental illness or a horrid childhood. To me, in the end it is usually a decision - a decision to indulge the lust to harm or the decision to view another human's rights as important, at the very least, in the eyes of the law.

I believe that the prevailing theory on psychopathy is that it is the result of both genetics and environment.

So take someone who does not have a genetic predisposition, give them a horrible childhood and no psychopathy. Take someone who does have genes predisposing them and give them an adequate childhood, no psychopathy.

Take someone who has the genetic predispostion, combine it with childhood trauma and... high risk for psychopathy. In this theory, it's a perfect storm type combination.

I don't think it is an excuse, which to me implies some sort of "well, it's okay" quality. I do think there are reasons, which do not make it okay but can point the way to how to prevent such things from happening.

I can honestly say that I have never wanted to seriously harm anyone or anything in my entire life. I'm not making a decision not to murder anyone, I'm genuinely not at all interested in doing so.

Since I am the only person whose head I can actually peek into, I tend to assume that the vast majority of people don't have any wish to murder. And that is why most people don't commit murder.

I know it's idealistic to think that things like psychopathy could someday be prevented or at least treated so that no one would be hurt but hey, I come from a religious tradition that says that the truly enlightened will refuse nirvana until all living beings are ready to enter it together (Mahayana Buddhism).

<humming "Imagine">

If it was on that major street that Jessica walked to the Park or to school I don't get how someone can snag someone, not be seen, hog tie her and strangle her right in the car with no cars passing or even in the area. If a car is stopped on a main road within 1 minute another car is right behind them.

"The source says Sigg told police he drove by Jessica Ridgeway on the morning of October 5, turned his car around and grabbed her. He brought her into the car where he hog-tied her and then he strangled her to death." - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/2...f-austin-sigg/

This almost sounds like he strangled her immediately right on her street! It doesn't say that he drove somewhere and did this to her. It says "he brought her into the car where he hog-tied.....". This makes it sound to me like he did it right then and there! How awful!!! I guess if this is the case, then she didn't have to suffer long, wondering what was going to happen - it was quick. But still, how awful and also how brazen that he could/would be strangling a little girl in the car in the bright morning, right on her own street, where anyone could have driven by.

I hesitate to believe what he is saying. (the perp and his reasoning)

I also don't believe his version. I've never felt the backpack drop was about distraction. If a distraction was desired, I would think an item of Jessica's might have been left across town, or in a random dumpster, or bush, but her folded clothing in her bag left sitting neatly on a sidewalk? No.

The calls for torture or violence are awful to me. I understand the rage. I myself get super angry and want vengeance, but it's not right, IMO.

Ironically the most visceral one is that from the paternal great-grandmother of Jessica. :-#

I cannot possibly keep up, so if this has been asked and answered- my apologies - is it known if the killer went to the memorial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member