Media Links Only - NO DISCUSSIONS

Today Show Video: Woman pleads guilty to killing of girl, 8~0:26
May 10: A former California Sunday school teacher pleaded guilty in the kidnapping, raping and killing of an 8-year-old playmate of her daughter. Msnbc's Contessa Brewer reports.
[ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37065620#37065620"]Today Show Video Player[/ame]

video from today: [ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37702293#37702293"]msnbc.com Video Player[/ame]

Salem

Huckaby sentenced, speaks about murder
by Jaclyn Hirsch / Tracy Press
Jun 14, 2010

STOCKTON — Melissa Huckaby was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole this morning for the murder and kidnapping of 8-year-old Tracy girl Sandra Cantu last year.

Huckaby avoided the death penalty after she unexpectedly pled guilty to the murder and kidnapping last month.​

During today’s hearing, Huckaby spoke for about three minutes. She apologized to Sandra’s family, her own family, the Tracy community and the local police department.​

“I still cannot understand why I did what I did,” Huckaby told the court.​

Read more: Tracy Press - Huckaby sentenced speaks about murder

Video: Sunday School Teacher Gets Life in Girl's Murder
youtube-16.gif
The Associated Press

Locals react to end of Huckaby saga

More than a week after Melissa Huckaby was sentenced to life in prison for the kidnapping and murder of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, many in the town the two called home seemed ready to leave the sordid tale in the past.

“We have to be done with this now,” said Susan Aceves, a Tracy woman who served on the grand jury that for two weeks reviewed the evidence against Huckaby and determined she should stand trial.​

“You have to realize, we’ve been living with this for a year,” she continued. “It’s something a lot of us will never get over.”​

FBI Criminal Pursuit on the ID channel 10 p.m. est will feature Sandra's story on 3/11/11.

I was just going to post it.

I wonder if they are going to have more to this story that we don't know, with the gag order and all.

Was one of the most horrific cases ever.

Actually a lot of things I didn't know about.....

Sandra Cantu Murder: How Rare Are Female Child Killers?

When 8-year-old Sandra Cantu of Tracy, California, disappeared in March 2009, the small community was set on edge. The family’s worst fears were confirmed when Sandra’s body was found in a suitcase in an irrigation pond not far from where she lived. She had been raped and murdered, and everyone wondered what kind of monster could do that to an innocent young girl.
As it turned out, the monster was a local Sunday school teacher, a 29-year-old mother named Melissa Huckaby whose daughter was a friend of Sandra’s. Yesterday she pled guilty to first-degree murder and faces 25 years to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
The case is bizarre and sensational, but how rare is it?
http://news.discovery.com/human/sandra-cantu-murder-how-rare-are-female-child-killers.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back