NY NY - Buffalo, Unity Isld, 'Grandma Doe', WhtFem 60-70, UP12704, well-dressed, butterfly pin, Sep'95

Rle7

Reaction score
“Gramma Doe” was buried by Erie County in an unmarked grave at a Town of Hamburg cemetery after she died nearly a dozen years ago.

Buffalo police cold case detectives believe someone, somewhere knows the identity of the still unidentified woman who was discovered by a fisherman Sept. 26, 1995 in the waters off Squaw Island. They are asking for the public’s help.

“She had a postman. She had a paperboy. A next-door neighbor,” said Detective Liss a - Redmond. “Somebody knows who this woman is.”

Redmond, who recently joined the department’s cold case squad, said she came across the case going through old files of unsolved cases.

“It kind of dumb-founded me that a woman who was welldressed, well-groomed and well-nourished would be unclaimed after 12 years,” Redmond said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/130784.html

How sad and strange. All those years on this planet and no one knows her or recognizes her. Mind boggling. Unless, the people that would know her and miss her are the people that had something to do with her disappearance.

This was in the Buffalo News-I thought maybe someone out there would know something...
weird

Clues wanted in death of 'Gramma Doe'

"Gramma Doe" was buried by Erie County in an unmarked grave at a Town of Hamburg cemetery after she died nearly a dozen years ago.
Buffalo police cold case detectives believe someone, somewhere knows the identity of the still unidentified woman who was discovered by a fisherman Sept. 26, 1995 in the waters off Squaw Island. They are asking for the public's help.

"She had a postman. She had a paperboy. A next-door neighbor," said Detective LissaRedmond. "Somebody knows who this woman is." Redmond, who recently joined the department's cold case squad, said she came across the case going through old files of unsolved cases.

"It kind of dumb-founded me that a woman who was well-dressed, well-groomed and well-nourished would be unclaimed after 12 years," Redmond said.

Anyone with any information is urged to contact cold case detectives at 716-851-4511.

e-mail: tpignataro@buffnews.com

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/130784.html

Wow, she does look just like a stereotypical "Gramma"!

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/626dfon.html

Was the closest I could find on Doe and it's not really jumping out at me. Though Western, NY and parts of Canada are close, not sure if this particular part of canada is close.

I live in Niagara Falls Ontario (Canada) and Burlington Ontario is about an hour's drive from here....Buffalo about 20 minutes in the opposite direction. This can't be the same lady if you're thinking of her floating about, because Lake Erie empties into the Niagara River which then flows down and over Niagara Falls and empties into Lake Ontario (where Burlington is situated alongside.)

I'm not saying this isn't the lady, but she would have had to have been driven down to the Western NY area to be found in that water.

I live in Niagara Falls Ontario (Canada) and Burlington Ontario is about an hour's drive from here....Buffalo about 20 minutes in the opposite direction. This can't be the same lady if you're thinking of her floating about, because Lake Erie empties into the Niagara River which then flows down and over Niagara Falls and empties into Lake Ontario (where Burlington is situated alongside.)

I'm not saying this isn't the lady, but she would have had to have been driven down to the Western NY area to be found in that water.

LOL, no I was thinking it was close enough to travel and then meet up with an accident or foul play.

I agree with the idea she could be from Canada. But what a weird story. Poor gramma. :(

I could not find Gramma Doe in Namus. a photo or sketch would certainly help the public identify her.

It's funny this was posted about recently. I'm from WNY and Grandma Doe has stayed in the back of my head for years. I was just thinking about her today, and decided to see if there was a thread here. I've seen pictures of the coat and pin she was found wearing, though I can't remember where because as I've said it's been years. I'll try and find it.

The thing is, so many people commit suicide at or around the Falls every year. You just don't hear about it. If you look up suicide + niagara falls on YouTube, you'll see a video from a live newscast in the 80s where a body just floats by. The tourists on any given day are about what you'd think--numerous, and from any country you can think of. On top of that, the Falls are basically right in the middle of a ghetto. The surrounding area is run down, crack houses two blocks in any direction. Tourism has done NOTHING for them, but that's getting off topic. My point is, she could have been a jumper and floated. The "rivers" span the entire city and out into suburbs, becoming other waterways. Grandma Doe could be anyone from anywhere, and that's what is sad. She could have fallen in and drown, she could have been pushed, she could have jumped. But somebody somewhere has to be missing her.

RIP Grandma Doe. I hope you're found out.

I could not find Gramma Doe in Namus. a photo or sketch would certainly help the public identify her.

That could be because she's not listed anywhere as 'Gramma' but Grandma. Her doenetwork page, it has a sketch:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/511ufny.html

I'm trying desperately to remember where I've seen pictures of her coat/pin. I KNOW I have, and it's something that could be really helpful.

that's odd. the Doe Network profile says blue eyes, the AMW page says black. I tend to believe the AMW page as they said they ruled out a woman with blue eyes.

Yet doesn't the sketch appear to show blue eyes?

The sketch is rather cartoonish, and the eye color could've been improvised. I don't think I've ever seen a different one. Thought I do remember her always being stated as having blue eyes. But it's worth trying to find out for sure. I'll see what sending an email to the CCS gets me.

ETA: Emailed the tips box, as they were no direct email addresses or box for the CCS. I said I'd like to get in touch with Lissa Redmon, as it seems she's the detective involved in Grandma Doe. Left my email address, etc. If it doesn't go anywhere, I'll call the squad tomorrow directly on my lunch hour. Ask about the eyes, and maybe for copies of the photo of the pin. I KNOW I've seen one! Maybe it was through the police.

blue or black there are not many missing women over the age of 55 going back to 1995, at least not in the Namus database.

could this be Grandma Doe?

if so it would be ironic. this woman, Norma Parkinson, was last seen in the town of Hamburg, NY in January 1990, and Grandma Doe was buried in Hamburg in Sept 1995. not sure where she would have been for 5 years but stranger things have happened.

Norma was 65 y.o., brown hair and brown eyes, 5'3", and 130 lbs. it was said she had a "very pointed nose". Her profile was just added this week.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12225/6/

oddly enough, the America's Most Wanted link said they ruled out a woman from Hamburg on account of her having blue eyes. Norma did not so I don't think they are talking about the same missing woman from Hamburg.

ETA: Grandma Doe's stats were never summarized on this thread.

per Doe Network, the UID was 5'3"; 150-160 lbs, had gray hair. the eye color is a matter of dispute. Doe says blue, AMW said black.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back