IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
sv614...I wasn't able to quote your post from the previous thread, but you shares some interesting insight. When you say that the OD rumor was circulating, do you mean that it was circulating BEFORE JW made the missing person report? If that it the case, surely there was great cause for people to be discussing that. Many people have mentioned here, the lifestyle of college kids (partiers or not - even the non-party crowd often stays up til 3-4 AM) so honestly, I struggle with the thought of JW asking around, "Where is Lauren? I can't find her." , then someone starting a rumor before 3 PM, "Oh, I bet she ODd when she went over to JR's house." That's weird to me. It's just so hard for me to imagine that between the time he awoke (maybe noon?) and 4 PM, he thought she ws in danger and contacted the police. It would take a LOT more than 4 hours as a college student, for most people to believe their friend/gf/roommate was missing these days, especially one who was supposedly such a big partier. So, if you're saying that this rumor began BEFORE the 4 PM report - that makes me feel that it wasn't just speculation, but perhaps someone who knew the truth had actually given someone else reason to start this rumor - maybe things were said.

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I had information suggesting that there were rumors before 3pm/4pm. I do not have any information suggesting this.

What I meant was, I heard the OD rumor days before it was acknowledged by MSM or, anywhere else that I had seen (I am not saying it wasn't acknowledged on blogs or forums such as this one, I am just saying the first I heard of it was from someone that went to Indiana).

Because I have not been in contact with anyone directly related, but a few people that went to Indiana and/or knew LS and/or POIs, I can only imagine that they were circling in that immediate POI crowd long before they got to me. I am all the way out in NYC, 6 years older than LS and heard from he-said-she-said sources. But then all of the sudden, a few days later, it seems like a common suspicion acknowledged by LE ... leading me to believe there is something to these rumors.

And it would make sense that those rumors were circling before 3pm or 4pm on June 3. It is the only reasonable explanation I can think of for reporting someone missing less than 12 hours before they were supposedly last seen.

These are all my speculations. I have no information supporting my theory that those rumors existed that morning.

None of that group (people LS was hanging with) have drug charges as far as I know. I believe there are lot of public intoxication charges among the group, LS herself included. So I think the possibility of LS being an "informer" is rather far fetched.

Thanks. I had read something about a charge, and thought perhaps it was drug related. This connected easily to the report that someone had read rumors of informant. If true, perhaps LS isn't the informant....maybe someone else is and she got caught up in something bad. I am not discounting that there could have been a murder. We speculate so much on the OD thing, but it could have been so much more..

My impression - they were concerned about her because she was in a highly intoxicated state, and the guy's intentions didn't seem to be that great. I don't know whether the concern for her well-being was more about what he might do (ie sexually?) or what she might do (ie drug use?), but I would tend to doubt anyone thought, "If we let her go, she's going to die."

One can only wonder if her friends and JW friends knew that she has a heart problem (long QT syndrome). In such a case they might have been very concerned if there was suspicion of drug use such a cocaine, as this, combined with alcohol, could be dangerous for her. Especially in excessive amounts. Obviously they did not think her life was at immediate risk because at the end she left. That was obviously very unfortunate, because if she had not left and stayed she would almost certainly not be missing today.

And it would make sense that those rumors were circling before 3pm or 4pm on June 3. It is the only reasonable explanation I can think of for reporting someone missing less than 12 hours before they were supposedly last seen.

I agree that is is the only reasonable explanation of why JW would think "missing" so soon the next day but only if he is innocent.. It's also possible to suspect that JW had involvement in her fate, and alerted her as missing quite early because of his knowledge.

I believe while JW knew of long QT syndrome, HT said she didn't know.
"But how much she revealed about having Long QT syndrome was unknown. Her roommate, Hadar Tamir, said Tuesday that she was unaware of the heart condition until Jesse Wolff, Spierer's boyfriend, brought it to her attention after Spierer went missing."
http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...tion-compounds-concerns-about-cocaine-alcohol

From that statement we know nothing about whether JW knew. For all we know the same could be said for JW, maybe Mr S alerted him when JW reported her missing to the family and that was the first he knew..

TG, I followed one of your tweets several days ago to a neighbor at 5 North. MM is his Twitter name. What's your take on him and does he have those stylized sideburns?

From that statement we know nothing about whether JW knew. For all we know the same could be said for JW, maybe Mr S alerted him when JW reported her missing to the family and that was the first he knew..

HT says JW informed her of the condition after LS went missing. So it sounds to me like he knew, if HT is to be believed.

HT says JW informed her of the condition after LS went missing. So it sounds to me like he knew, if HT is to be believed.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out the vagueness inherent in that statement. If you tell me about it for the first time today, I could describe it as you having told me after LS went missing. Says nothing about WHEN after she went missing he told her, and certainly nothing about WHEN he first knew that information. just sayin

This might also account for his (unique?) sense of urgency, given her (reported, I believe) need to take medicine every 24 hours.

I agree that is is the only reasonable explanation of why JW would think "missing" so soon the next day but only if he is innocent.. It's also possible to suspect that JW had involvement in her fate, and alerted her as missing quite early because of his knowledge.

I agree completely. My point in general is that someone, or multiple people, knew something fishy was up. Just imagine how long it would take to even make the decision to file a missing person's report. It would take me a while to decide to take such a drastic measure for someone who was last seen just 11 hours ago.

And someone said her phone was answered by someone at Kilroys. I believe that would make me less suspicious of her MIA status. If I knew she left her phone somewhere, it would explain why she was not answering, and I would assume that she had crashed at someone's place. If I hadn't heard by that night that she was accounted for, then I would be concerned.

But for a police report to be filed by 3/4pm on that day? Seems like a drastic measure to take regarding a supposed party girl after a long night. Heck, if it were me on that bender, I could easily be asleep at a friend's house at 3pm. In fact, I would argue that should have been the assumption at that point, and the friends would have, in normal circumstances, have had a "she's probably recovering somewhere, I'm sure we'll hear from her soon" mentality. IMO.

This might also account for his (unique?) sense of urgency, given her (reported, I believe) need to take medicine every 24 hours.

I am actually surprised HT didn't know considering the need for medication. So that makes me wonder how regularly LS was in fact taking the meds.
I don't believe long QT is one of those conditions for which you have to take meds, or die.

I agree it seems a little early to file a police report on Lauren. Thinking back to my own college days, 5 yeas ago, there were so many times when we went out and everyone got drunk and split up and you didn't connect with them until late the following afternoon. I can see starting to become concerned by 3 PM but it seems really early to go to the police and say they are missing.

The other thing about this, and I grew up far wealthier and farrr more spoiled than these kids so I don't begrudge them at all, but if you feel invincible and safe and priviledged that tends to be evident in all of your actions. To panic at 3 PM and assume she was abducted or ODed or whatever just doesn't sound like the same group of people that feel comfortable walking barefoot at 2 AM or going to bed without knowing where their g/f is. I personally think the invincible college attitude is really normal and think that deciding she met with harm in the early afternoon is a little weird. I can honestly say it would have taken us probably until the following morning, at which point we would have been really worried, to contact authorities if someone went MIA. And I'm not religious, but I adore my friends, married my college boyfriend, and would be beside myself if anyone I loved came into harms way. It just seems like a leap for me to assume the worst so quickly, if you come from a lifestyle where you've never really experienced the worst before.

I am actually surprised HT didn't know considering the need for medication. So that makes me wonder how regularly LS was in fact taking the meds.
I don't believe long QT is one of those conditions for which you have to take meds, or die.

yes I agree. And several people were speculating early on that it may have been prominently reported (the Long QT) early on to influence people to come forward quickly

Re: the informant rumor -- The rumor is that DR is a police informant. The rumor has (as far as I can tell) been perpetuated by one single commenter. Nothing about what the commentator is saying seems credible, therefore I think they're just causing trouble for fun. That same commenting thread has someone shouting that DR is the mystery man on the video b/c he apparently has sideburns; note that he is also not at all dark skinned. People just seem to be babbling/stirring the pot (like the taxi driver who has like 4 different stories about how he's connected to/has information about the case; again, not credible). These other forums/comment sections make me very thankful that the moderators here.

Anyone have a link to the press conference?

I've seen cases where "kids" much younger than these have found the strength to talk come forward to the police or other adults if they have knowledge about a crime...it's not about age, IMO.

I think it's easier for the younger kids. I don't think it's an age thing alone as in the younger/the less responsibility we expect them to take. It's that college is a period during which a lot of kids break away from their parents' lifestyle, and experiment in ways that completely deviate from their parents' values and expectations for them. But they still care about their parents' opinions views of them. They may have gotten carried away by the freedom, and the choice they have now is not the same choice a younger kid, still living at home, and innocently witnessing a crime. Their choice now is to give away all of their own secrets, which can be some hefty ones and can affect their relationships with their friends and family forever.

I guess my point is, if any of these kids come across this forum, I would hope they would take from it that there are strangers and parents who would understand not only their wild college years, but also their hesitation in coming forward immediately, and that they could come forward now and be met with understanding and compassion.

To report LS missing after ony 11hrs, and during daylight hours, shows drastic concern from the report filers. The girls certainly knew that there was a known prior underage citation, and that she was at Kilroys on Thurs nite/Fri am where she is not 21, and that these facts would come up evntually when filing the report. They were willing to do the right thing to report her missing, even when they knew (that if she was just found ..simply sleeping the hangover off somewhere) that more alcohol-related incidints would not be good for one's "record". Yet they must have sensed that something went really wrong that night.

Wonder how "normal" it is in Bloom, for a missing report to be filed 11hrs after missing, with as far as we know, no signs of forceful abduction, threats to LS, taking place.

The girls were scared and very very concerned that something was terribly off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow