GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like at one time, way back when the downstairs room was very active and I was doing some other digging around, I kind of had some of what you're asking about in your second paragraph figured out, but I've forgotten what I'd figured and how I did it! (Some sleuth, huh?) I'll see if I can find something to jog my memory though.

:floorlaugh: That is too funny, it'll come back to ya. plz share. lol

bbm: bessie, how do we know these two things -- "same window"/"by his own admission he could see everything". Seems unfamiliar to me.
Well, BW, I removed that from my post because I just realized that I can't link to the statement I referenced. :silenced: Although, in the interview he mentions that he ran out when he heard the accident. My point still stands. His apartment windows provided a good vantage point to observe what was taking place outside.

Attachments

• apartment photo.jpg
    apartment photo.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 11
Well, BW, I removed that from my post because I just realized that I can't link to the statement I referenced. :silenced: Although, in the interview he mentions that he ran out when he heard the accident. My point still stands. His apartment windows provided a good vantage point to observe what was taking place outside.

Yes, you're right, he could have watched from there. I just thought I'd missed something!

It seems like the server at the "other site" is experiencing some problems tonight -- or, I should say, I am experiencing some problems accessing it to read the News there. I'm afraid they will be flooded again after the newscast this afternoon and this evening mentioning the site name.

I remember that.........

Isn't it interesting that he could see all the goings ons outside, but no one saw A THING when LG went missing?

That location still gets me. So close to the road, wide open to everything

So, we meet again!

Last time I was around I was merely a Moderator over at OPchan, now I'm one of three Owner/Administrators after we took over the website from the previous administration.

Just wanted to peek my head in and let you know that we're on the scene monitoring the goings on here and on our own website. I posted the following on OPchan, please forgive the internet memery:

"I would like to point out that neither the prosecution, or defense, has (to my knowledge) contacted the Administration in any way to verify or not verify the post. At this point, our only interaction has been through e-mails with a reporter.

I remind you, that our site is being monitored but several interested parties, and I implore you to troll the ever loving hell out of those interested parties should they come up.

The Administration has no position on the guilt or innocence of SoL. He posted much before we took over the website, and no data beyond that which is retained privately by our (or other websites) users exists from that time period.

We do publicly stress that verifying any one post to any one poster without a secure tripcode is neigh on impossible after it has left the public boards and drops off of googlecache. Literally anyone could have posted with the username SoL in the time that he was known to be a poster, and anytime after his arrest. The burden of proof of that post lies on the prosecution, and we will provide requested information as much as we are legally obligated to.

Vis a Vis Websluths: I have a (personal) hunch their (the prosecutions witness that SoL made the post) "witness" is some scooby-doo with a lust for glory. That being said, I will ban permanently any user engaging in any nefarious, illegal, or malicious attacks against that website or their users. We already had one of their users publicly defame us on Facebook months back, and their administration handled that situation with delicacy and respect, I extend them the same.

You are free to say whatever you want, but you are not free to act on those plans in anyway under my administration and tie those acts to OPchan.

Please understand this is a sensitive issue for the Administration team, there is some murky legal water we have yet to cross, and we are doing our best to meet our social obligation while still respecting the privacy of our users.

We will never, ever, ever disclose personal information about a user in any way, shape, or form without consulting the law and a lawyer to assess our obligation."

I am not here to say that you are right or wrong or any other statement reguarding the SoL case. I have no personal opinion on his guilt or innocence beyond the evidence i have before me. I am here to make sure that your userbase and our userbase do not clash unduly, and to perhaps clear the waters of understanding OPchans involvement in the proceedings.

So, we meet again!

<respectfully snipped for space>

SwissGuy, I snipped most of your post to reply, but I did just want to say that I, for one, am glad that you rang in.

I imagine you have probably noted that there is a wide range of thought here about the disputed post. I personally believe it was not made by SM. I hope, too, that you have noted (something that is not often acknowledged by posters on your site) that there also exists here a spectrum of thought about the guilt/innocence of the accused and/or whether enough evidence has been revealed even to speculate much one way or another. I have noted that posters on your site also express a spectrum of opinions about these matters.

I also believe that some posters on your site have done what I personally consider a good thing, trying to bring questions about the authenticity of the post more to public attention. Some here have done the same.

Thank you for the information you imparted and also for your efforts to prevent any trouble-making between posters on the two sites.

(I have to add that, as far as that witness referenced in the news report is concerned, it has NEVER crossed my mind that it might be a WebSleuther. For one thing, I believe the post is not authentic -- of course, this is just my opinion -- so, if nothing else, no WSer would have true evidence that it is.

Actually, I think the "witness" mentioned was only really mentioned by Winters at the hearing as being someone who can verify that SM posted as SoL when he was posting -- and I believe it is someone from your site. But the catch is, I don't think that witness can nor will give evidence that the post read at the bond hearing was made by SM, because -- for one reason, and there may be others -- I don't think valid evidence of that could possibly exist. Again, JMO.)

Thank you, again.

<respectfully snipped for space>

Thank you, again.

Also respectfully snipped:

I am here on my own volition, for the sole reason to be a representative of my users interests. I recognize that there is quite a variance of opinion on his guilt or innocence, and a further variance on the validity of the aforementioned posting. We've already had one regular user (who shall not be named because I do not have his express permission) who claims to have written the post that the prosecution read as a "troll" post. This kind of thing is very common in *chan culture, and I am inclined to believe personally that if he says that he wrote it, he did.

I for one only hope for the due process of law to be carried out effectively, and that if SoL is guilty, he is convicted based on solid evidence to that fact. I personally have no stake in his guilt or innocence. I do fully regard this murder as a tragedy and hope that the guilty parties, whomever they may be, are convicted and punished.

As I said when I first arrived, our websites are something of at odds in both the demographics of our users, and in our content. I know many of you before this case had come up had never heard of a *chan, let alone OPERATORchan. Our content and users may seem a bit strange or scary or even malicious to you, however, I assure you that beyond rhetoric, this is not the case. I, and the rest of my Administration and Moderation staff, hold the idea that anyone should be able to say anything within a public forum very close to heart, and we allow our users to (excepting glaringly illegal content) do just that. Their words, opinions, and posts belong solely to them and them alone, and we take no responsibility for the content.

I will reaffirm, that I will allow my users to express any opinions on this case or this website that they want. I however will not (as per the terms of use on the website) allow them to take any malicious actions toward this site or its userbase, I of course expect the same from the Administration here.

Until the Administration is contacted by either the DA or the Defence attorney, all information we present, or questions I may answer, are solely the opinion of the individual. If there comes a time when we are contacted legally in regard to this case, we will consult a lawyer as to our obligations.

Please note that we are not based in the United States, and thus our legal obligations may be minimal or non-existent. We will disclose no data on any user without legal obligation.

My sole directive is to protect my userbase and thus my website, being on here is purely to serve that purpose. Any statements made on this case from here on in are solely my personal recollections or opinions, and are not the opinions of OPERATORchan or its Administration unless stated as such.

Hi, Swiss Guy. Sorry I missed you. I was busy washing my kid's soccer uniform. :giggle:

Seriously, thanks for ringing in. Your members should understand that the purpose of this thread is to discuss the facts of Lauren Giddings' murder, and the prosecution of Stephen McDaniel, as they are reported by the maintstream media. It has come to the point now where McDaniel's participation as a user at your site has come to play in the proceedings. To that extent, this board's rules allow us to discuss operatorchan.org as it pertains to the case against Stephen McDaniel. The discussion should not, and will not, extend beyond that narrow focus.

That said, we welcome you and any of your members to join us while we hash out our theories. As the case progresses, your input could be very helpful.

Hi, Swiss Guy. Sorry I missed you. I was busy washing my kid's soccer uniform. :giggle:

Seriously, thanks for ringing in. Your members should understand that the purpose of this thread is to discuss the facts of Lauren Giddings' murder, and the prosecution of Stephen McDaniel, as they are reported by the maintstream media. It has come to the point now where McDaniel's participation as a user at your site has come to play in the proceedings. To that extent, this board's rules allow us to discuss operatorchan.org as it pertains to the case against Stephen McDaniel. The discussion should not, and will not, extend beyond that narrow focus.

That said, we welcome you and any of your members to join us while we hash out our theories. As the case progresses, your input could be very helpful.

You didn't miss me.

Thats why I came over. The proverbial cat is out of the bag, our name is already in court and the news media (with of course a sharp uptick in traffic), and thus, open discussion of OPchan is of course fine and dandy.

I will note that the tone of discourse in relation to our site seems to have changed for the better, which I of course am glad to know.

Here is my personal opinion and recollection on this case and OPchan:

Firstly, we took over OPchan about 3 months ago from the previous Administrator, during the transition, the payment on the server lapsed (due to the previous administrations error) and we went down for a week. We lost literally all data, even our historical archives of the best threads dating to the beginning of the website were gone. Contrary to what some have possibly posted here (no doubt due to a troll), we were not seized by the FBI. In fact, we're not even ran out of the United States anymore.

At no time have we received notice from either the current provider or previous provider of a Subpoena or Warrant to seize and utilize data pertaining to OPchan, which of course calls into question how exactly they intend on verfying the "troll" post in court. I remember the post, and one of our regular members has privately admitted to writing it. If my recollection is correct, it was written shortly after he was in custody and when you WS people started poking around OPchan, thus providing us a great opportunity to troll, it's a pity it ended up in court. You'll recall right around that time I showed up here trying to prevent some sort of *chan meltdown, as is known to happen.

We've spoken to one reporter, that is it, in fact, no other reporter has even tried to contact us to verify or not verify the post. We may possibly be doing other interviews, but nothing beyond what is known fact, we will not officially on the record speculate. What I can conform is that SoL was a username linked to McDaniel, and that he did post on OPchan at one point, and that he did so in a non-secure method that allowed anyone to post with the name SoL. All records beyond screencaps and the like (which of course do not meet chain-of-custody needs) from that period are gone beyond retrieval.

Basically, I am very sure (personally) that the post used in the bond hearing was not in-fact posted by McDaniel, and look forward to seeing how the prosecution intends on proving that it was.

I don't know if McDaniel is innocent or Guilty, but I certainly believe that he is legally innocent until proven guilty, and that the prosecution using that post as any kind of evidence in court re-enforces my personal view that they have very little solid evidence to convict him with.

If they do not have evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he is guilty of the crime, he should walk, wither he did it or not. This is how the legal system works, and it works that way for a reason.

Assuming what Anonymous said in those first comments is true and that he/she is correct in guessing the author of the old deleted anonymous posts, two questions come to mind.

1. Why would McD bother posting that stuff anonymously? He posted all sorts of things that people find disturbing and was very open about who he was.

2. Why did the admins delete it? What made it different from any of the other posts about death/murder/etc.?

From what others have said on other sites, there was a thread regarding "the perfect murder" and different people contributed. Considering the content of that board and how they like to imagine carrying out "secret missions" and such, the perfect murder discussion thread seems quite believable.

Course if there WAS a thread and several participated it wouldn't be fair to just claim it was McDaniel that did it out of the blue.

Also folks if you go to www.archive.org a copy of that site is there, (most pages, maybe not all) dated April 2011, another dated Feb 2011. All of the older SoL posts can probably be found if you can remember where they were (don't think google can search those archives).

They have older versions too and they could have also captured a version after the murder but haven't posted it yet, they don't post cached copies for up to a year but will sell them to individuals ahead of time. That archive is frequently mentioned on computer forensic articles as a common resource.

SwissGuy: Someone else can verify better than I, but I think the FBI takeover stuff originated from a banner that was posted on your site for a while during the transition period. (Or maybe that was in response to something said here? If so, I missed it).

As you noted, many of the posters here have a hard time understanding OpChan humor/sarcasm/lulz and just the general mentality. I think all people tend to be ethnocentric. I hope you are able to understand it as a genuine culture/language barrier, and not as informed maliciousness.

From what others have said on other sites, there was a thread regarding "the perfect murder" and different people contributed. Considering the content of that board and how they like to imagine carrying out "secret missions" and such, the perfect murder discussion thread seems quite believable.

Course if there WAS a thread and several participated it wouldn't be fair to just claim it was McDaniel that did it out of the blue.

Also folks if you go to www.archive.org a copy of that site is there, (most pages, maybe not all) dated April 2011, another dated Feb 2011. All of the older SoL posts can probably be found if you can remember where they were (don't think google can search those archives).

They have older versions too and they could have also captured a version after the murder but haven't posted it yet, they don't post cached copies for up to a year but will sell them to individuals ahead of time. That archive is frequently mentioned on computer forensic articles as a common resource.

Thanks for the tips, Sonya.

I took a brief look at the posts when the story broke and didn't find them disturbing or particularly relevant, despite the frenzy. I try to avoid anything that approaches the criminalization of thought, so I didn't pay them much mind. I am sorry to see that they've become such an issue. I'm interested in them now only because the prosecution seems to see things that I don't.

Someone else can verify better than I, but I think the FBI takeover stuff originated from a banner that was posted

Southern Comfort in a communication along the same vein, you yourself mentioned that early on most everyone here thought McDaniel was guilty and those that were "riding the fence" took a lot of heat from other posters for it.

SwissGuy welcome:

While some observers may see all of the posters on this board as condemning McDaniel and convinced of his guilt with or without evidence (at least before, less so now) that was certainly NOT the case and never has been, however those that don't join the bandwagon and condemn the accused are often shall we say....socially ostracized in various ways and decide to take their views elsewhere.

Some folks such as myself, albeit rare, don't really care if he did it or not from the standpoint of moral judgement, we just find the process of the investigation and the final result to be quite interesting; this is one really amazing roller coaster of a case with a collection of bizarre characters that is utterly astounding!

Southern Comfort in a communication along the same vein, you yourself mentioned that early on most everyone here thought McDaniel was guilty and those that were "riding the fence" took a lot of heat from other posters for it.

SwissGuy welcome:

While some observers may see all of the posters on this board as condemning McDaniel and convinced of his guilt with or without evidence (at least before, less so now) that was certainly NOT the case and never has been, however those that don't join the bandwagon and condemn the accused are often shall we say....socially ostracized in various ways and decide to take their views elsewhere.

Some folks such as myself, albeit rare, don't really care if he did it or not, we just find the process of the investigation and the final result to be quite interesting; this is one really amazing roller coaster of a case with a collection of bizarre characters that is utterly astounding! Throw in the fact it happened a few miles away (from me) and it is deserves much attention.

It sounds like you may be concerned about the basic integrity of the system and whether justice can ever be truly served by it. That pretty much sums up how I am feeling.

SwissGuy welcome:

Some folks such as myself, albeit rare, don't really care if he did it or not from the standpoint of moral judgement, we just find the process of the investigation and the final result to be quite interesting; this is one really amazing roller coaster of a case with a collection of bizarre characters that is utterly astounding!

Blah, my iPad just kicked me off after I wrote a really good post. To be continued

It sounds like you may be concerned about the basic integrity of the system and whether justice can ever be truly served by it. That pretty much sums up how I am feeling.

I suppose I can join this bandwagan in regards to whether we feel justice can truly be served based on the integrity of the system. However, a contradiction if you say you do not care about the guilt or innocence of the accused or care about whether he did or did not do it, because his guilt or innocence goes hand in hand with this system (that we presume to care about)

SwissGuy welcome:

Okay, I hate that the defendants of McD feel that way, because I know i personally feel the same way whenever i say something in positive for the prosecution. I just can't post on here that much for fear of that, because I know <modsnip> facts that I cannot discuss, since this case is so important that there is justice brought for LG. <modsnip> I realize it is innocence until proven guilty, but it is very hard for me to think about that <modsnip>. So, if you hear a frustrated post from me from time to time, please just know my angst. Not directed at you but the situation.

At no time have we received notice from either the current provider or previous provider of a Subpoena or Warrant to seize and utilize data pertaining to OPchan, which of course calls into question how exactly they intend on verfying the "troll" post in court.
<snip>
All records beyond screencaps and the like (which of course do not meet chain-of-custody needs) from that period are gone beyond retrieval.

Sounds like you have researched this matter thoroughly! I completely agree, without a warrant to gather the server information it is all hearsay, and eye witness testimony is typically used to settle disputes when no electronic evidence is presented (assuming it goes that far, and it probably won't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie