GUILTY PA - Dr. Melissa Ketunuti, 35, murdered in her Philly home, 21 Jan 2013

it really is, Pirple. I often start researching for one crime, and finish up on another completely different one... like falling down a rabbit down some days. And there sure are a lot of murders in Philadelphia.

Good point about the parking/narrow streets!

Early reports were that she was fully dressed. I wasn't aware this may have changed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...atrician-hog-tied-strangled-set-basement.html

I read that too, Moxie, and then at the link I gave above, LE was quoted as saying that she was clad only in a shirt. (I searched "shirt" on this thread to locate the link.)

Hard to know what to believe any more. She was not followed. She was followed. She was strangled with a rope. She was strangled with a belt.

I think that when LE gives statements, they aren't always talking to the people who want to know, but they are saying what they want the criminal to believe. I also think that maybe mainstream media doesn't care so much about accuracy nowadays.

I'm just glad that the killer has been arrested, and that Melissa's pain is over. I hope he pays mightily for this crime.

And I apologize for not putting the link in my original post.

This is completely freaking me out. He lives near me and I pass his house every day.

I am glad he is being investigated for more things because it has seemed strange to me from the beginning that a verbal argument with a stranger ends with a body being burned. IT just does not make sense.

Freaking me out.

OMG! I would be freaked too!

Is it possible he was legitimately dispatched at some point, and came back prepared and with intent?

I think his bag he held in the video had murder & arson supplies.

I don't think it happened spontaneously. No way- not after seeing him following her in that video. Service people don't behave like that.

I'd have to research where I read this at but some places consider a golf club to be a dangerous weapon also. Reminds me of having to turn over my keychain pepper spray to the security folks at a KISS concert years ago. So pepper spray is a no-no but lighters are ok ? *shaking head*

I get you on dennis rader. What he did was sick and twisted. But didn't he start way back before he was married??? I forget.

When I first saw the news, the first thought I had was, "This is just like the BTK Killer."

Jason Smith did not "snap" and just do this. This was a sexual crime.

Dennis Rader would (B) bind, (T) torture through strangulation, the torture was he would strangle them, then allow them to gain consciousness so that they would know they were being murdered and then (K) kill them through strangulation.

He was much like this killer in the fact that he did not actually have sexual contact with his victims, but would masterbate next to the victim. This was before DNA, so he left his semen next to their bodies. Luckily, the samples were collected and saved all those years.

He also had ropes around their necks and would bind them with very intricate knots. I am sure he was able to do this quite well since he was a Boy Scout Leader.

He was married May 22, 1971. His first killing was January 15, 1974, where he murdered four members of the Otero family. At the time, he thought only the mother and young daughter would be home, but her husband and young son were also there.

Rader and his wife were married 34 years. They were both very active in their church. He was a Deacon in their church. After he murdered his neighbor of 30 years, Marine Hedge, he took her body to that same church and took pictures of her in different bondage poses. He actually left a Boy Scout outing to go kill Marine Hedge and then return. His wife had no idea. She thought her husband was at a Boy Scout outing.

Rader said he used to read those detective type magazines as a young boy, the ones where the girl was tied up on the front cover.

He said his idol was Harvey Glatman. A serial killer in the 1950's, that posed as a magazine photographer. The models allowed Harvey Glatman to tie them up based on the ruse that he was shooting pictures for the cover of one of these detective magazines.

All three of these men were/are into bondage and the sexual relief it gives them when they murder their victim. Dennis Rader goes into great detail about the sexual relief it offered him.

I do not believe this is his first victim, nor do I believe it would have been his last.

I found a letter on Murdepedia that Dennis Rader wrote to the Newspaper where he talked about the sexual relief.

Josephine Otero, age 11, was the only victim that was hung. Most of his female victims were bound and strangled like Melissa.

Example

The following is purportedly the text of a 1978 letter, including spelling and grammatical errors:

I find the newspaper not writing about the poem on Vain unamusing. A little paragraph would have enough. Iknow it not the media fault. The Police Cheif he keep things quiet, and doesn't let the public know there a psycho running around lose strangling mostly women, there 7 in the ground; who will be next?

How many do I have to Kill before I get a name in the paper or some national attention. Do the cop think that all those deaths are not related? Golly -gee, yes the M.O. is different in each, but look a pattern is developing. The victims are tie up-most have been women-phone cut- bring some bondage mater sadist tendencies-no struggle, outside the death spot-no wintness except the Vain's Kids. They were very lucky; a phone call save them. I was go-ng to tape the boys and put plastics bag over there head like I did Joseph, and Shirley. And then hang the girl. God-oh God what a beautiful sexual relief that would been. Josephine,when I hung her really turn me on; her pleading for mercy then the rope took whole, she helpless; staring at me with wide terror fill eyes the rope getting tighter-tighter. You don't understand these things because your not underthe influence of factor x). The same thing that made Son of Sam, Jack the Ripper, Havery Glatman, Boston Strangler, Dr. H. H. Holmes Panty Hose Strangler OF Florida, Hillside Strangler, Ted of the West Coast and many more infamous character kill. Which seem s senseless, but we cannot help it. There is no help, no cure, except death or being caught and put away. It a terrible nightmarebut, you see I don't lose any sleep over it. After a thing like Fox I ccome home and go about life like anyone else. And I will be like that until the urge hit me again. It not continuous and I don;t have a lot of time. It take time to set a kill, one mistake and it all over. Since I about blew it on the phone-handwriting is out-letter guide is to long and typewriter can be traced too,.My short poem of death and maybe a drawing;later on real picture and maybe a tape of the sound will come your way. How will you know me. Before a murder or murders you will receive a copy of the initials B.T.K. , you keep that copy the original will show up some day on guess who? May you not be the unluck one!

P.S.
How about some name for me, its time: 7 down and many more to go. I like the following How about you? 'THE B.T.K. STRANGLER', WICHITA STRANGLER', 'POETIC STRANGLER', 'THE BOND AGE STRANGLER' OR PSYCHO' THE WICHITA HANGMAN THE WICHITA EXECUTIONER, 'THE GAROTE PHATHOM', 'THE ASPHIXIATER'.
B.T.K

teedie, does it matter if it's online as opposed to TV? Did you mean you wanted to see it?

We can call this guy......

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_phil...bushs-video-helped-solve-center-city-slaying/

Bonepile posted as well on the business fella.

You spoke so highly of it, yes, I did want to see it. I don't watch much tv, and don't even know how much coverage this might be getting where I live. I guess I've seen a snippet of the video on a couple of those videos at your link, so I'm ok with that. You are right, the picture I saw was very good quality, which is unusual. Thanks for your trouble. :)

Reading the BTK letter, I had a moment of profound pity for the woman who slept next to him for 34 years.

And one, too, for Smith's partner.

I'd really not be so convinced he'd killled before, if not for the several quite ritualistic elements involved in Melissa's death, and the way Smith carried on blithely to the 'next job' and then went home, day done.

I think Smith would have calmly gone about his life like nothing happened at all - until the next time.

eta: And I think he totally looks like the park rapist sketch. Enough of a resemblance there, it made me blink anyhow. Hope the DNA's processed soon.

Thanks, Bonepile for the link,

This was so big of her, what a wonderful person she was.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130126_Slain_doctor_s_colleagues_struggle_to_carry_on.html

An endearing habit of Ketunuti's was to speak like the people she encountered in the hospital, Offit said.

When a mother was referencing her child's seizures, she pronounced the word "she-zures." Rather than correcting her, Ketunuti explained how she would help stop the "she-zures."

"Melissa was trying to make the woman comfortable," Offit said.

I cannot even think of a scenario where she could (or would) belittle him or argue with him. What's there to argue about during a normal exterminator visit? And speaking as a small woman myself, even if there was something I was displeased with, I can't imagine getting confrontational in my house when I'm alone with a service man - that would be very awkward and not safe.

Could it be he was going through the house (as part of the service) and she found him going through the medicine cabinets and asked him to leave. Is he a current drug user or past?

It's always a bit unnerving having a service person come to your home if you are a female and nobody else is there with you.

Could it be he was going through the house (as part of the service) and she found him going through the medicine cabinets and asked him to leave. Is he a current drug user or past?
Here you go Brown Rice:

"Speaking on condition that they not be identified, police investigators said Smith's statement, in which he said he "just snapped," included an admission that he was addicted to prescription painkillers and had a history of drug and alcohol abuse."

http://articles.philly.com/2013-01-...eatment-program-records-show-police-officials

These are some unsolved cases in Bucks and Montgomery Counties..

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/New-Hanover-Body-Found-167872435.html

26-year-old Natalie Marella from Ambler.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regio...ury/-/16593886/18080286/-/484o7a/-/index.html

Jennifer Velez-Negron's burning body was found in a wooded area behind 75 Chestnut Hill Rd. In Salisbury Township on Dec. 27, the coroner said.

http://screen.yahoo.com/body-found-burned-minivan-nicetown-172700004.html

Police say the man found in a minivan in the Nicetown section of Philadelphia Thursday morning had been stabbed,

had his throat slashed and his wrist and ankles bound with duct tape.

http://emmaus.patch.com/articles/burned-body-found-at-unami-gun-club

A body found burning near Unami Fish and Game Club off Chestnut Hill Road in Salisbury Township Thursday morning was a white or light-skinned Hispanic woman age 20 to 40, according to the Lehigh County coroner.

I don't really believe people just snap. I believe it is a long work up to the act.

I keep thinking I would have way more info if it was spring. All us pick up moms and dads stand around and talk when it is nice as we wait for our kids to get out of school. Because it is so cold, We all just sit in our cars.

It won't be long when we will all be out at the fields watching our kids play. It just creeps me out that he could have been there too.

I was thinking last night. We are 10 mins away from an interstate and the turnpike. I am hoping that this man does not turn out to be some crazed long time killer. It just makes me ill.

ETA: I did read last night about verifying locals. I don't know how that works but am happy to provide ADMIN info if they need it. :)

You spoke so highly of it, yes, I did want to see it. I don't watch much tv, and don't even know how much coverage this might be getting where I live. I guess I've seen a snippet of the video on a couple of those videos at your link, so I'm ok with that. You are right, the picture I saw was very good quality, which is unusual. Thanks for your trouble. :)

Any old time Teedie. No problem.

The woman that was found on Monday in the "lot" in Harrowgate was found around 5:30PM. I seriously didn't think this creep had anything to do with that given the location.

The story is half way down the page and gives alot of information. Given they are oddly out nowhere checking him against the guy who raped women in Pennypack I'm not so sure. That guy was mongering in Tacony. Why not down in Kensington?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dncrime/

Note don't look at the lone comment because it will take you someplace that may make you sick. There's so many lousey creeps out there it defies logic.

These are some unsolved cases in Bucks and Montgomery Counties..

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/New-Hanover-Body-Found-167872435.html

26-year-old Natalie Marella from Ambler.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regio...ury/-/16593886/18080286/-/484o7a/-/index.html

Jennifer Velez-Negron's burning body was found in a wooded area behind 75 Chestnut Hill Rd. In Salisbury Township on Dec. 27, the coroner said.

http://screen.yahoo.com/body-found-burned-minivan-nicetown-172700004.html

Police say the man found in a minivan in the Nicetown section of Philadelphia Thursday morning had been stabbed,

had his throat slashed and his wrist and ankles bound with duct tape.

http://emmaus.patch.com/articles/burned-body-found-at-unami-gun-club

A body found burning near Unami Fish and Game Club off Chestnut Hill Road in Salisbury Township Thursday morning was a white or light-skinned Hispanic woman age 20 to 40, according to the Lehigh County coroner.

Just a little more on Jennifer Velez Negron, G. She was actually on the unidentified here.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195154&highlight=jennifer+velez+negron

Poor girl.

The woman that was found on Monday in the "lot" in Harrowgate was found around 5:30PM. I seriously didn't think this creep had anything to do with that given the location.

The story is half way down the page and gives alot of information. Given they are oddly out nowhere checking him against the guy who raped women in Pennypack I'm not so sure. That guy was mongering in Tacony. Why not down in Kensington?

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dncrime/

Note don't look at the lone comment because it will take you someplace that may make you sick. There's so many lousey creeps out there it defies logic.

Wow I did not follow the link in the comments.I hope this tipster is heard by LE.
This is the same story that was headlined "Woman found on lawn" I don't think the reporter had ever been in that neighborhood.
What a shame for her not to be missed, so sad.

I'm curious as to what type of defense this murdering lunatic, Jason Smith, will use.

Does anyone know what the difference is between murder in the first degree, murder in the second degree, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter? And how does temporary insanity come into play?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back