FL - Hunter Fink, 2, hit & killed by train, Zephyrhills, 12 Dec 2016 *Arrest*

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
How awful can you get??

[FONT=&amp]ZEPHYRHILLS, Fla. - [/FONT]A babysitter, a male friend and two preschoolers were playing on a river trestle

[FONT=&amp] A woman and a two-year-old child were hit by a train in Zephyrhills...[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]..... officials say the two were with a man and another child near the train tracks

rural area.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The man and the second child, jumped from the tracks and fell eight feet into the water below,

................unharmed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp].............26-year-old woman was airlifted to the hospital in serious condition,

The little boy, was airlifted to the hospital ........... later died of his injuries.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The 133-car train

60 miles per hour

. It was empty except for three cars[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] takes about a mile and a half for the train to make a full stop,

[/FONT]
Hunter Fink, 2, was walking with his 4-year-old sister, their babysitter and a man identified as Cody Williams along raised train tracks on Monday when they realized a train was coming.

The news release said Williams grabbed the 4-year-old and jumped off of the tracks about 8 feet below to safety.

The Sheriff's Office says the babysitter, identified as 26-year-old Heather Henderson, was holding Hunter but did not get out of the way in time.

- Train came around a corner --
As it neared the river, heading north, tracks veered to the northwest. Until then, anyone on the trestle might have seen only trees. .

mile-long CSX train emerged from the woods, barreling toward them.

As it neared the river, heading north, tracks veered to the northwest

conductor sounded the horn

Horrid

911 call was placed at 11:55 a.m.

few hours later, with investigators on site, the child's mother, Stephanie Ross, came running to the scene in a work uniform from Breakfast Station restaurant. A child called out, "Mommy!" and wails followed.
She shared custody of the children with their father, Ryan Fink.

lives nearby, said it's not uncommon for people to cut through private property to get to the train tracks and the river trestle.
"For a long time, we've had a problem with people trespassing through our fences to get to the tracks," he said. "I don't know what the appeal is."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/child-2-struck-by-csx-train-in-zephyrhills/2306002

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/2-year-old-in-zephyrhills-hit-by-train/368481442

[FONT=&amp]
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/223195842-story

[/FONT]
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/CSX-train-hits-woman-2-year-old-child-in-Florida-406069615.html

Term trespassing in use

Orl Sent

The average freight train is about 1 to 1¼ miles in length (90 to 120 rail cars). When it's moving at 55 miles an hour, it can take a mile or more to stop after the locomotive engineer fully applies the emergency brake. An 8-car passenger train moving at 80 miles an hour needs about a mile to stop.

http://www.mnsafetycouncil.org/OL/stop.cfm

ailroad tracks are private property. Property close to the tracks also belongs to the railroad. It's called the railroad "right-of-way." People who don't have permission to be on railroad property are trespassing. Railroad property may be posted with different types of "No Trespassing" signs. They all mean "stay off" and "stay away." Even if there isn't a sign, it's still illegal and dangerous to be on the property.

common mistakes people make when they trespass on railroad property?
  • They're focused on what they're doing—walking, fishing off a bridge, etc.—

• They stand too close to the tracks, not realizing that the train is up to six feet wider than the tracks.

• They expect the train to be louder than it is.

• They think the train is farther away and moving slower than it actually is.
  • True confessions bought to you by!!

• Small objects like coins sometimes get flattened but most often they get pinched by the wheel of the train and shot out with deadly force.

O/T

As children

Brad and I loved loved putting pennys on a track !!!!!

I also came with this idea (that did not work!) that a dog whistle would activate the gates which would have been so exciting to make the gates go down at my command ahhhhh

Lets put it this way, I never got a "S" on the behavior part of a report card!!!

http://www.mnsafetycouncil.org/OL/trespassing.cfm

Why are so many people inclined to "play chicken" at RR tracks, whether pedestrians or drivers? That a 2-year-old, who was unaware of the danger and wasn't there by personal choice, was killed makes this especially heartbreaking.

I had a friend whose brother committed suicide by walking along RR tracks. Even when it involves an exclusively voluntary fatality, the experience is traumatic for the RR employees and passengers, rescue workers and kin of the deceased.

I may have mentioned in a past thread about riding on a bus in which the bus driver pulled onto the tracks as a train was approaching.There was a gate and flashing lights which were working properly, but the driver of the vehicle in front of the bus decided he had time to weave between the gates. He made it across safely, so the bus driver decided to follow suit . At that point, the train wasn't visible because the tracks curved behind some buildings in town, but the whistle sounded just as the bus pulled onto the tracks. Then the locomotive appeared suddenly from behind the buildings, only a few yards away. The bus barely made it across the tracks in time! The bus passengers were really shaken up and the driver obviously was, too (and embarrassed at the same time). A man at the back of the bus remained quiet for a few minutes (I assume he was scared speechless), and then eventually he released a tirade of choice words at the bus driver!

Maybe people just don't have a good concept of the basic principles of physics. They don't seem to realize the true size of a locomotive, its weight, its speed, and the fact that it cannot stop or even slow down on a dime. Maybe they even expect the train to swerve out of the way??? :doh:

I went to law school in Philadelphia and I used to take one of the regional rail lines into the city...a few times a year there would be huge delays because someone had been hit by a train. The commuter trains usually didn't go fast enough to cause much damage but Amtrak high speed trains would also use the same rails. Sometimes it was clearly a suicide but other times it would just be people playing around on the tracks. I do not understand why anyone would want to take that risk. Especially with little kids.

I went to law school in Philadelphia and I used to take one of the regional rail lines into the city...a few times a year there would be huge delays because someone had been hit by a train. The commuter trains usually didn't go fast enough to cause much damage but Amtrak high speed trains would also use the same rails. Sometimes it was clearly a suicide but other times it would just be people playing around on the tracks. I do not understand why anyone would want to take that risk. Especially with little kids.

and can you imagine how long the delay the was. Just 133 cars rolling again ...................

It's just a sad situation all around. The poor parents, losing a child so close to the holidays.

this exact scene played out years ago here in san jose. a woman who was babysitting kids on the south side was walking to the (since closed) wal mart and there was no pedestrian route from across Monterey road so she crossed the tracks, w a baby in a stroller and a toddler and was not able to get across in time while dealing w the stroller and the toddler was killed. they built a fence after that THEN built this big pedestrian overcrossing, then they closed the wal mart and that strip mall doesn't have much going on in it. :/

Why are so many people inclined to "play chicken" at RR tracks, whether pedestrians or drivers? That a 2-year-old, who was unaware of the danger and wasn't there by personal choice, was killed makes this especially heartbreaking.

I had a friend whose brother committed suicide by walking along RR tracks. Even when it involves an exclusively voluntary fatality, the experience is traumatic for the RR employees and passengers, rescue workers and kin of the deceased.

I may have mentioned in a past thread about riding on a bus in which the bus driver pulled onto the tracks as a train was approaching.There was a gate and flashing lights which were working properly, but the driver of the vehicle in front of the bus decided he had time to weave between the gates. He made it across safely, so the bus driver decided to follow suit . At that point, the train wasn't visible because the tracks curved behind some buildings in town, but the whistle sounded just as the bus pulled onto the tracks. Then the locomotive appeared suddenly from behind the buildings, only a few yards away. The bus barely made it across the tracks in time! The bus passengers were really shaken up and the driver obviously was, too (and embarrassed at the same time). A man at the back of the bus remained quiet for a few minutes (I assume he was scared speechless), and then eventually he released a tirade of choice words at the bus driver!

Maybe people just don't have a good concept of the basic principles of physics. They don't seem to realize the true size of a locomotive, its weight, its speed, and the fact that it cannot stop or even slow down on a dime. Maybe they even expect the train to swerve out of the way??? :doh:

our commuter train is fast and heavy. ppl have been killed by our light rail too.

What a little cutie... RIP little Hunter [emoji22]

I have a hunter fitch, crazy close name there [emoji15]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23