GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to listen to Amanda's testimony again about Nicky. She obviously had very thorough discussions with the doctors, as did Nicky, about his injury. She mentioned something about "lockout?" if I recall? I'm going to research it some. Now, this is where juror no. 8 is going to be an asset. She knows anatomy.

I am bringing this over from the previous thread.

Originally Posted by Ann-Tx

In case you missed some of the Amanda Hayes trial testimony, WRAL - Raleigh, NC has it archived.

For now, it appears WRAL has it archived by day. Click on the day (video) and all who testified that day will have a video of their testimony.

Also, you can click on the "live" update box and read the "live" updates by WRAL for a given day.

This is the way it is set up now. If WRAL changes the archives again, of course the aforementioned won't apply.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/13329437/
WRAL - Raleigh, NC -- Amanda Hayes murder trial video

Opening Statements and testimony Day 1 thru Day 12

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/9925558/
WRAL - Raleigh, NC current as of 2/13/14

WRAL.com archive: Laura Ackerson murder case

At the above Link, you can click on the following archived info or you can click on it here:

Laura Ackerson homicide investigation
Full coverage of the investigation into the July 2011 homicide of Laura Jean Ackerson and developments leading to trial.

Amanda Hayes murder trial coverage
Full coverage of Amanda Hayes's first-degree murder trial in the death of Laura Ackerson.

Amanda Hayes murder trial video
Video from the first-degree murder trial of Amanda Hayes.

Grant Hayes murder trial coverage
Full coverage of Grant Hayes's first-degree murder trial in the death of Laura Ackerson.

Grant Hayes murder trial video
Video from the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes.

Search warrants
Search warrants in the murder investigation of Laura Ackerson.

I'm going to have to listen to Amanda's testimony again about Nicky. She obviously had very thorough discussions with the doctors, as did Nicky, about his injury. She mentioned something about "lockout?" if I recall? I'm going to research it some. Now, this is where juror no. 8 is going to be an asset. She knows anatomy.

In any attack against Laura, the objective would be to quickly overpower her. A spinal cord injury would certainly disable someone. After Laura locked the children in their bedroom, she would have helped Grant. If there is only a large bleached spot near the entrance (and not blood evidence of drag marks to the bathroom), then they probably used plastic to move her to the bathroom. Laura was 5'8"-5'9" and Grant is 5'5" or 5'6". Amanda said that he is stout, nothing about being fit. She'd had a C-Section a month earlier which would mean that lifting is not recommended, but it doesn't mean that lifting is not possible. If she was able to control the boat and bail water, she was capable of lifting.

What made me think this too, was when Amanda was talking about when they moved to Kingston (?), and she said, Grant insisted we get this apartment... *advertiser censored* Broadway or whatver the address was. Amanda said, Grant really wanted this apartment. I was like, what? Just the way she said it was strange and set off alarm bells for me. What's the big deal about that apartment? It wasn't some luxury place. But the way she said it was very odd. And then she said, and I bought all the furniture, and I bought a car - Saab SUV - b/c we didn't have a car.

So were they moving there temporarily or were they moving there permanently?

Everything about that move sounded strange to me, when Amanda was testifying about it (her first day of testimony).

I got these alarm bells ringing off that, the whole reason they moved there was to be close to Laura in case they needed to do this. Get everything ready, in other words.

Just like you said, Otto, in case they needed to. You are so right.

JMO.

*Pulled this over from prior thread*

Are you thinking that they specifically may have chosen an apartment instead of a house because if you are planning to pull off a murder (and think you are going to get away with it) you want to do it in a place that you can evacuate from quickly?
If that had bought that "house with a yard for the kids" they would be stuck in a place that 1) possibly retain evidence, 2) just be plain creepy to stay in or 3) Hold them back from leaving the country (Back to VI, which I assume is where they would be now if they had not been caught).

'Cause that is what I am thinking :steamed:

I've just started getting into this trial and don't know all of the details. Can someone tell me who reported Laura missing or how the police got involved so quickly? Thanks in advance.

I've just started getting into this trial and don't know all of the details. Can someone tell me who reported Laura missing or how the police got involved so quickly? Thanks in advance.

Her good friend and business partner reported her missing.
She was the first person to testify on day 1.
Here is the link if you would like to watch-

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/13332671/

ETA- If not for this woman, I think these 2 may have gotten away with this. Or at least gotten FAR away before it was discovered.

Ed Crump on WTVD also did an interview with Grant Hayes:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9396161

Thanks, Skittles. Somehow I missed that -- Ed Crump is a good reporter, I think -- one of the better ones in this area. He digs and finds things that other ones miss, IMO.

And this one was a lot of something you don't want to step in, IMO.

Well, glad I heard that self-serving (gee, what a surprise) carp from the Carp King himself. This is what he would have said had he taken the stand in his own trial, but they talked him out of it. Poor man, they must have taken advantage of his trust and good nature. A true travesty.

About the only thing he said IMO that was not a lie was when he said, :jail: "...There's no defense. There's no excuse for dismembering a body..." :jail:

But that's the only thing that he admitted becuz that's the only thing of which he said he was guilty. <choke> <gag> Grrrrrr. And poor Amanda elbowed that mean Laura in the neck -- it was self-defense, of course. Poor Grant had no idea she was "mortally wounded." Tsk-tsk. But that's just my opinion. :moo:
icon8.gif
icon8.gif

Her good friend and business partner reported her missing.
She was the first person to testify on day 1.
Here is the link if you would like to watch-

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/13332671/

ETA- If not for this woman, I think these 2 may have gotten away with this. Or at least gotten FAR away before it was discovered.

I see you have been doing double-thread-duty today..

I see you have been doing double-thread-duty today..

LOL Chelly, I am tryin'!
Honestly was not going to post a thing on the Dunn thread, because I really only know the basics. Just have to yap once in a while ;)

NO CLUE how I am going to keep up tomorrow.

ETA- I never did get over to Marissa DeVault like I wanted to.
That one is supposed to last a while though, so Hayes may be done before that one even really gets into gear....

*Pulled this over from prior thread*

Are you thinking that they specifically may have chosen an apartment instead of a house because if you are planning to pull off a murder (and think you are going to get away with it) you want to do it in a place that you can evacuate from quickly?
If that had bought that "house with a yard for the kids" they would be stuck in a place that 1) possibly retain evidence, 2) just be plain creepy to stay in or 3) Hold them back from leaving the country (Back to VI, which I assume is where they would be now if they had not been caught).

'Cause that is what I am thinking :steamed:

I don't know how up-to-date Google Maps is of that area, but there are no houses, apts, any construction on Broadway St. when I just looked at it. Maybe there was news of its being developed -- but I could see no evidence of that. Weird.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Broa...t,+Kinston,+Lenoir,+North+Carolina+28501&z=17

I don't at all believe that Laura was going to give up her children for $25,000. I have to wonder if she was lured to Amanda's apartment and then forced to sign the document, possibly being forced to write one of the papagraphs. Laura was clearly in this for her children, not for money.

I think the money for children angle was cooked up Amanda. Grant seems too disorganized to come up with a murder scheme like this. I think Laura was threatened and forced to sign the money for children papers, she tried to make a break for it, knowing that they would kill her, and she failed to get away. Amanda cooked up the entire scheme of renting the storage trailer, hauling the furniture to her sister's place and transporting the coolers at the same time so they could dispose of Laura's body in Texas.

If they'd gotten away with it, I think that Grant and Amanda were going to claim that they knew nothing about Laura and they would produce the money for children document as proof that Laura didn't want her children, that they paid her and she took off.

I don't at all believe that Laura was going to give up her children for $25,000. I have to wonder if she was lured to Amanda's apartment and then forced to sign the document, possibly being forced to write one of the papagraphs. Laura was clearly in this for her children, not for money.

I think the money for children angle was cooked up Amanda. Grant seems too disorganized to come up with a murder scheme like this. I think Laura was threatened and forced to sign the money for children papers, she tried to make a break for it, knowing that they would kill her, and she failed to get away. Amanda cooked up the entire scheme of renting the storage trailer, hauling the furniture to her sister's place and transporting the coolers at the same time so they could dispose of Laura's body in Texas.

If they'd gotten away with it, I think that Grant and Amanda were going to claim that they knew nothing about Laura and they would produce the money for children document as proof that Laura didn't want her children, that they paid her and she took off.

But, we also have to remember the "note" found with notes about a possible press conference (It was numbered IIRC). I believe that was his writing, but whether it was dictated by Amanda is up for debate.

In any attack against Laura, the objective would be to quickly overpower her. A spinal cord injury would certainly disable someone. After Laura locked the children in their bedroom, she would have helped Grant. If there is only a large bleached spot near the entrance (and not blood evidence of drag marks to the bathroom), then they probably used plastic to move her to the bathroom. Laura was 5'8"-5'9" and Grant is 5'5" or 5'6". Amanda said that he is stout, nothing about being fit. She'd had a C-Section a month earlier which would mean that lifting is not recommended, but it doesn't mean that lifting is not possible. If she was able to control the boat and bail water, she was capable of lifting.

I believe LA died at the front entrance where the bleached area was found. In GH"s interview with WRAL he says that when LA died there was no blood, but he also mentions bodily fluids, making me believe that this is what happened & why the bleach was used there. As for AH not being able to lift, well she had no trouble lifting the boxes of acid out of the truck when required. When the PT deliver there closing argument, I hope when they point out the number of times AH had the opportunity to escape, or seek help, that they draw the jury to the moment AH was waiting for GH whilst he purchased the acid. She sat in that truck for more than 30 mins, the children were all safe & I'm sure there were other shops around & people shopping, yet she never tried to seek help or ask for someone to call the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46