LA - Michael Noel, mentally ill man killed by deputy

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
Michael Noel, mentally ill man killed by Louisiana deputy, wasn't violent, family says

A 32-year-old mentally ill man was fatally shot by a sheriff's deputy after he resisted efforts to be taken into protective custody, his mother said.

While executing the order, a deputy shot Michael Noel in the chest after he resisted restraint and powered through two shocks from a stun gun, according to his mother and an aunt, Sable "Pat" Alex. Both women said they witnessed the shooting and that Michael Noel was unarmed with one handcuff around one wrist when he died near the doorway.

Louisiana state police are investigating. Spokesman Master Trooper Brooks David said in an email Wednesday that he could not confirm details of the shooting.

Update: Deputies were serving Order of Protective Custody

Noel was shot and killed during a struggle with deputies who were at his mother's home outside of Breaux Bridge, near the intersection of Eunice Road and La. 347. State Police are investigating the shooting. The deputy involved is on administrative leave pending the outcome of a State Police investigation into the shooting.
Noel was having a "Breakdown," and they wanted him to go to a hospital. When time passed, and no one arrived, that's when they called the St. Martin Parish Sheriff's Office. They say they wanted help from deputies to "calm him down," restrain him, and take him to the hospital. They say they've called the St. Martin Parish Sheriff's Office before, and deputies have responded, and were familiar with their situation.

Noel's aunt, who was in the house and present during the shooting, says deputies put a handcuff on Noel, but had difficulty putting the other one on his wrist. She says Noel was resisting the deputies, because he didn't want to go to the hospital. She says Noel was tased twice, and then was shot in the chest by a deputy.

State police investigate four officer involved shooting in seven days

The first investigation began the evening of Monday, Dec. 21 when 32-year-old Michael Noel was shot in his home by a St. Martin Parish deputy. Noel was a special needs man who was having a breakdown when family called the sheriff's office to "calm him down," restrain him and take him to the hospital.

The deputy who shot Noel has not been identified.

It's interesting that they say they wanted to police to 'calm him down.' Since when are the sight of armed men in police uniforms going to calm someone down who does not want to be sent into a mental hospital. I don't think they were called for a calming effect. I think they were called because the family could not control him and were needing someone with strength and force. JMO

It's interesting that they say they wanted to police to 'calm him down.' Since when are the sight of armed men in police uniforms going to calm someone down who does not want to be sent into a mental hospital. I don't think they were called for a calming effect. I think they were called because the family could not control him and were needing someone with strength and force. JMO

That is exactly why they called them. You have to read the whole sentence to understand their intentions.

was having a breakdown when family called the sheriff's office to "calm him down," restrain him and take him to the hospital.

That is exactly why they called them. You have to read the whole sentence to understand their intentions.

I did read the entire sentence and it was nonsensical. It said 'calm him then restrain him…' why restrain him if they could calm him?

The cops are not going to successfully 'calm' someone down who is resisting going to a mental hospital against his will. They can forcibly restrain him but it will not be a calming situation. If his own family could not calm him then how were the cops supposed to do so? They were not and probably not expected to do so. All they can hope to do is overpower him.

It is very unfair for families to call the police to restrain/remove their mentally ill loved ones and then to scream and protest when it goes sideways, imo. If they cannot deal with their loved ones without being frightened and combative how can they expect strangers in uniforms to do so?

Family: Louisiana man killed by deputy not violent

Neighbors were shocked by what happened and agreed with Barbara Noel that her son was not dangerous.

"Everybody in the neighborhood knew Michael," said Daniel Wagner. "He's totally nonviolent."

"That's a good fellow. A real nice fellow," said Norris Celestine, another neighbor. "And I'm not saying that because of what happened. He was just a real nice person. Would not hurt anyone."

Barbara Noel said her son was afraid of hospitals, courthouses and police, but law enforcement had successfully intervened before to help control him during a breakdown.

If they were inside the home when this took place. When they got scared they could have easily run away. JMO

As Noel continued showing resistance, one of the law enforcement officials allegedly used a stun gun on him. Noel, however, was able to stand up and was Tasered a second time.

The aunt said when he tried to get to his feet once again, the deputy shot him in the chest as his mother looked on in horror.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...heriffs-deputy-shots-kills-man-Louisiana.html

Why did the deputy pull his gun on an unarmed man, regardless if he was resisting????? They couldn't call for more deputies? The solution was to kill him??????

Michael Noel
9520134_G.jpg

http://katc.images.worldnow.com/images/9520134_G.jpg

I did read the entire sentence and it was nonsensical. It said 'calm him then restrain him…' why restrain him if they could calm him?

The cops are not going to successfully 'calm' someone down who is resisting going to a mental hospital against his will. They can forcibly restrain him but it will not be a calming situation. If his own family could not calm him then how were the cops supposed to do so? They were not and probably not expected to do so. All they can hope to do is overpower him.

It is very unfair for families to call the police to restrain/remove their mentally ill loved ones and then to scream and protest when it goes sideways, imo. If they cannot deal with their loved ones without being frightened and combative how can they expect strangers in uniforms to do so?

I don't think they were expected to shoot him but I guess that took care of any struggling.

There needs to be nationwide retraining of every single law enforcement officer on how to de-escalate situations. EVERY situation, but ESPECIALLY those involving the mentally ill and unarmed resisting.

There needs to be nationwide retraining of every single law enforcement officer on how to de-escalate situations. EVERY situation, but ESPECIALLY those involving the mentally ill and unarmed resisting.

I keep thinking about how frightened and confused he must have been, and how his mom made the call to HELP him, and instead he was murdered right in front of her. Her sick son, in his own home, not breaking any laws. They shot him for no reason.

The pain she must be feeling is incomprehensible to me.

I keep thinking about how frightened and confused he must have been, and how his mom made the call to HELP him, and instead he was murdered right in front of her. Her sick son, in his own home, not breaking any laws. They shot him for no reason.

The pain she must be feeling is incomprehensible to me.

I can't even imagine, honestly. I probably never have to considering my demographic.

Also, it's interesting that no statements seem to have been made by the station. I would imagine if this weren't true, they'd have said something by now, no? The silence is deafening. I'm glad they're investigating though.

I can't even imagine, honestly. I probably never have to considering my demographic.

Also, it's interesting that no statements seem to have been made by the station. I would imagine if this weren't true, they'd have said something by now, no? The silence is deafening. I'm glad they're investigating though.

They have managed to make a statement about how many previous calls have been made by someone at that address in the last FIFTEEN years. Because that's relevant.

"Michael was a little small man! They could have handled Michael! Michael wasn't drinking, he wasn't on drugs, nothing like that. He just wasn't himself. Sometimes you get out of yourself when you have a mental problem," Alex said.

"This man ain't no ****, he don't do nothing. He don't sell no drugs, his background is clean. If he was a **** or not, you still...This is a human being, you don't have to use a weapon," said Noel's cousin Amandues Alex.

http://www.katc.com/story/30814891/...tion-continues-into-officer-involved-shooting

If he was a small man that could be so easily controlled, why was LE called to the home over 100 times?

If he was a small man that could be so easily controlled, why was LE called to the home over 100 times?

Because it's part of their job to come assist with resistant mental health patients when those people need to be restrained and transported. It's not expected that family members are supposed to tie up their loved ones. Officers help restrain and calm mental health patients all the time, it's not an uncommon occurrence.

Exactly. It isn't like mental illness is something relatively new. How we are entering 2016 without better training for LE to deal with the mentally ill is absurd. Priorities. Pffft

http://policelink.monster.com/training/articles/2261-how-to-handle-the-mentally-ill

Article outlines how to respond to calls dealing with mentally ill.

"3. Move slowly. Resist the impulse to act hastily. This may be difficult since most police training teaches the importance of quick decisions. With the emotionally disturbed, it is better to take time and carefully assess the situation. Immediate action is necessary only when handling an immediate danger."

"8. Do not rely on your weapons. The threat of a gun is quite meaningless to people who are acutely disturbed. They may grab it and use it, or you may be tempted to use it. A weapon should be used only in the very rare situation when it is necessary to save a life."

"10. Don’t meet hostility with hostility. This is often a natural reaction since hostile people tend to elicit hostility in others. It is important to maintain a professional attitude. Meet hostility and anger by being calm, objective, and accepting. Ask why they are angry or afraid. If they will tell you, they may begin to calm down."

Because it's part of their job to come assist with resistant mental health patients when those people need to be restrained and transported. It's not expected that family members are supposed to tie up their loved ones. Officers help restrain and calm mental health patients all the time, it's not an uncommon occurrence.

One hundred times? The local cops are expected to restrain and control a noncompliant family member over a hundred times? That doers not make any sense. They are being exploited if that is the case.

One hundred times they had to grapple with and struggle with this resistant, angry, scared man. And on the hundredth or so time, the struggle became violent and he was shot. I am guessing that he tried to wrestle the gun from the holster which brought on the lethal force.

So cops were expected to restrain and overpower him a hundred times, and then when it fails in an ugly way, the family immediately cries out in protest. They could not handle him themselves. They relied upon the cops to do so and they did so just fine, over a hundred times. But that counts for nothing apparently. Now they are said to be violent brutal heathens. Oh, except for the previous 100 times...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back