UCLA group discovers humungous prime number

Only because it's the first over 10mil digits.

Only because it's the first over 10mil digits.

I did comprehend that fact LOL I meant more along the line of Seriously Searching's "Why?" (if I interpreted it correctly LOL)- like WHY is such a discovery worth discovering? Will it provide some knowledge that will benefit mankind?

Not intending to be facetious, truly wondering why time, technology, brain power and money are being utilized for what appears to be a frivolous discovery.

I would guess they just did this for the contest $ and fun, but prime numbers do have practical uses. I know they use them in cryptography, also computer coding stuff? This number isn't practical to use in any type of cryptography (or legal in USA) but shorter ones are used for stuff like encrypting govt. systems and keeping your online transactions secure. Also, primes were what cracked the Enigma code.

At this point we don't actually know how this type of prime numbers work- there isn't any formula to find out the next one as far as I know. I expect the more #s they find though, the closer they are to figuring out the formula, which could actually be useful. When they figured out other formulas for different set of primes there were lots of practical uses.

But basically, this discovery is not useful at this point really, just fun for math geeks and a little cash for the math dept. at UCLA. It doesn't take much more than an internet connection to enter this contest though, barely any money or man power or brains. You just download a little program and let it run in the background, anyone with a computer can do it.:)

I would guess they just did this for the contest $ and fun, but prime numbers do have practical uses. I know they use them in cryptography, also computer coding stuff? This number isn't practical to use in any type of cryptography (or legal in USA) but shorter ones are used for stuff like encrypting govt. systems and keeping your online transactions secure. Also, primes were what cracked the Enigma code.

At this point we don't actually know how this type of prime numbers work- there isn't any formula to find out the next one as far as I know. I expect the more #s they find though, the closer they are to figuring out the formula, which could actually be useful. When they figured out other formulas for different set of primes there were lots of practical uses.

But basically, this discovery is not useful at this point really, just fun for math geeks and a little cash for the math dept. at UCLA. It doesn't take much more than an internet connection to enter this contest though, barely any money or man power or brains. You just download a little program and let it run in the background, anyone with a computer can do it.:)
(my bold)

So numbers such as these are what Joseph Duncan (Greone case) used for his secret on-line diary that (IIRC) as yet to be cracked?

Thanks for your input.

This is very exciting news and I am sure many will have great fun working with this huge and newest knowledge. That said....

I like Play Dough. You can make the coolest animals in different colors. Sometimes, it's fun to mix the colors. *Together*!!!! :D

This is very exciting news and I am sure many will have great fun working with this huge and newest knowledge. That said....

I like Play Dough. You can make the coolest animals in different colors. Sometimes, it's fun to mix the colors. *Together*!!!! :D

ROTFLMAO

Now here's the thing- I had my near death experience this week so I made a vow to myself to be more open to understanding that which I do not understand, to be more respectful of the "huge and newest knowledge" stuff.

It's hard to go to the other side when someone taunts you with the likes of Play Dough!!

ROTFLMAO

Now here's the thing- I had my near death experience this week so I made a vow to myself to be more open to understanding that which I do not understand, to be more respectful of the "huge and newest knowledge" stuff.

It's hard to go to the other side when someone taunts you with the likes of Play Dough!!

Ever inhale Play Dough? That in itself will bring you into a near death experience. I wonder if anyone has scoped out the reason it smells like it does... Makes the colors seem brighter, imo. :crazy:

(my bold)

So numbers such as these are what Joseph Duncan (Greone case) used for his secret on-line diary that (IIRC) as yet to be cracked?

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I think thats probably what was used? There are programs you can buy or download that will come up with encryption codes for you, they are usually pretty uncrackable.

The real question though is how on earth do they make all the play doh colors taste different but still smell exactly the same? I swear they do:crazy:

Yeah, I think thats probably what was used? There are programs you can buy or download that will come up with encryption codes for you, they are usually pretty uncrackable.

The real question though is how on earth do they make all the play doh colors taste different but still smell exactly the same? I swear they do:crazy:

Yeah. Encryption codes are a good thing. O---kay.

Important thought here. I have never tasted Play Dough. I have no idea if one color is taster than the other (though, I wonder if green is a little more drool worthy). The scent of Play Dough? Well, that is still another mystery that I am aware of.

We get UCLA finding, yet, another prime number. But, I ask you. Has anyone even tried to find the whole of Play Dough? There is more to living the humongous prime number. :D

I would just like to say that I have horribly misspelled "Play Dough" It is "Play Doh". Not like the "duh" that I have posted here.

Blame the fumes....

I'm uncertain what to do here.

Do I attempt to resurrect the integrity of the thread by returning to topic re humongous number?

Or continue to contribute to it's skid off topic re Play Doh? (those play doh eating people are oddly....... interesting?)

Maybe I should just edit the title to include Play Doh? Duh.

I'm uncertain what to do here.

Do I attempt to resurrect the integrity of the thread by returning to topic re humongous number?

Or continue to contribute to it's skid off topic re Play Doh? (those play doh eating people are oddly....... interesting?)

Maybe I should just edit the title to include Play Doh? Duh.

My deepest and most humble apologies. I have taken from your thread, of great excitement concerning a new "MEGA" 9Humongous) prime number and tossed in my thoughts concerning Play Doh. Obviously, I am still 5 years old and cannot comprehend the importance of such a discovery.

Play Doh is fun. That's as deep as I can truly go. I am a true dork when it comes to science and math. But, I love multicolored turtles. :crazy:

My deepest and most humble apologies. I have taken from your thread, of great excitement concerning a new "MEGA" 9Humongous) prime number and tossed in my thoughts concerning Play Doh. Obviously, I am still 5 years old and cannot comprehend the importance of such a discovery.

Play Doh is fun. That's as deep as I can truly go. I am a true dork when it comes to science and math. But, I love multicolored turtles. :crazy:

Have you ever put Play Doh through a pasta maker???

It is awesome! My 3yo grandson and I do it for hours- just sit there and roll out sheets of multi colored playdough, squeesh it up and roll again.

I know re dork. I was trying to be what I cannot be.

Humongous numbers may bring fame but Play Doh brings love.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back