Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered my book through my husband's Amazon Prime and keep forgetting to have him check about my status! My DVR is set for anything Juan Martinez!

I pre-ordered on prime and mine says on track to deliver on Tuesday! I pre-ordered on July 25th. :happydance:

I think so too.
Gas cans = premeditation!
All others such as hair, blood, photos, etc do not prove premeditation.

When she purchased the extra gas can at Walmart, she remembered to pay with cash for it, but forgot to throw away the receipt. That was her biggest mistake, IMO.

Wow, yes, of course... but just one thing, now that we know JM meant the gas cans from the previewed page.. just one thing I am still confused about...

JA could have still wanted to visit him, no? For whatever reason, sex, even a surprise trip, whatever.. Still could have been a "please take me to Cancun" itinerary, she could have purchased a gas can w/out it necessarily meaning TA was going to die..

IMO, she had SOME state of mind to see if he would 'take her back.'

Now the gun of same caliber stolen from her grandparents, that is telling as well. Could not be proved it was her.

BTW, none of this is how I believe ANY of us would perceive it, whatsoever***. I'm just saying that the jury would still** require her state of mind to convict her for the premeditation (as I think Hope stated a post earlier here..), from anywhere as to her diaries to time she spent on stand (to display all her shining calculating lies as they are), etc etc...

I could buy a gas can, visit someone, end up arguing and well, they wouldn't end up with multiple stabs/gunshot/decapitation yet attacked in frenzy (oh please do not think me nuts for hypothetical here, lol) but my point is... unless you knew the individual responsible's habits (her stalking is more an indicator, the slashed tires, the police report, IMO, and the comments from everyone that Travis knew!) you couldn't say for sure someone planned acts of maliciousness that meticulously.

IMO, her diary indicates her mentality, her texts, her interrogation(s) with the detectives, upside down license plate, her letters, her time on cross, etc etc. Perhaps it was too complicated to paint that picture for the trial (context). Juries might just need physical evidence as is.

BBM

Yes, JM sure did have a lot of other evidences of premeditation. But they were harder to prove, since JA kept lying her lies and some jurors could believe her.

When I sat on a jury for a murder trial (death by multiple stab wounds), our prosecutor told us that premeditation can take less than a second to form. She gave us examples such as when a traffic light turns green, you premeditate to go, you push the gas pedal. Or, when you raise a knife to stab somebody, you are premeditating to kill, so you stab.

Still, I was one of 3 jurors that believed the murder was in the second degree, because I believed the murderer had no intention to kill, but was just in a rage with no prethought to kill. Though after a very heated deliberation, we gave in for the first degree. I regret that decision to this day.

In JA's case, she stabbed him continuously 27 times. I believe she told herself 'I want to kill him' each time she stabbed.

Oyy, sorry, perhaps I should not add my two cents to that... :whiteflag: in advance.. but perhaps because of this abomination that is JA and everything that I have learned since joining websleuths and my own experiences, I would have to say... I find that it's impossible to believe those types of people have never considered committing acts of violence to another. Perhaps that* victim was just the only one they got comfortable enough to do the deed...

I don't want to antagonize your own judgement in regards to that case, I totally realize I have no clue** as to the nature of that trial/conviction... it's just that I have found when I come across certain individuals that strike me the wrong way, I find they are totally predisposed to fits of anger/violence.

Oh, I am so sorry... I should have mentioned this was from another site (I just posted it here).. MY order is fine, and now says "shipped". WOW, I hope it arrives a little early and if so, I will stay mum until others get theirs. Pinkie swear.:laughing:

Sorry, I should have noticed, what you posted was in quotes! :facepalm:

I think her 'one mistake' (if it can be isolated to just one) was keeping all the receipts, they showed her entire journey from beginning to end, no way she could say she had only gone to Utah when you figure up the mileage on the rental car, of course the gas can receipt nailed her to the wall. Maybe JM thinks had she worn gloves she might have gotten away with it, I'm looking very forward to his view of this (and so much more lol).

I think her first big mistake was thinking she was more intelligent than she really was. The murder trail, before, during, and afterwards shows once again most murderers aren't nearly as smart as they thought they were. She, like so many before and after her, had no commonsense and logic. Psychopaths are convinced that they can lie their way out of anything.

The biggest mistakes she made were all the things she left at the crime scene. She placed herself right there when the murder of Travis was happening. There was no reasonable way to dismiss her print in the victim's blood on the wall. The only way a print can be left in blood is when the blood is still fluid and fresh. And then it was all downhill from there. Too many people knew how evil Jodi was before she even did this horrific crime. That is why immediately she was the main suspect.

The police knew it was a crime of monumental overkill and Travis had no one in his life that was that evil who would do something like this to him other than the woman he was trying to get away from. Everyone knew if he had an enemy at all it was JA and they all thought she was perfectly capable of doing something this twisted.

Imo, there is no way she would have gotten away with this. At least not the way she made it happen. She turned out to be as stupid as all of the other murderers who thought they had superior intelligence when in the end they turned out to be unbelievably dumb as dirt.

I still regret that there was one lone wolf holdout and knowing she was that close to being on death row where she really deserves to be.

Going on vacation the 20th with my kindle :). Thanks for the heads up about the book release. So excited to read JM account of the trial.

Eta: lol dh staying home wants a good book, timing perfect. He listened to me go on and on for months about this trial. Hopefully there will not be any interviews or twitter from JA about JM book. She deserves a cactus shoved in her mouth. Jmo

ciao

I think so too.
Gas cans = premeditation!
All others such as hair, blood, photos, etc do not prove premeditation.

When she purchased the extra gas can at Walmart, she remembered to pay with cash for it, but forgot to throw away the receipt. That was her biggest mistake, IMO.

It certainly was a big part of proving premeditation.

However I have been a juror on four criminal cases and two were first degree murder with one being a death penalty case.

In each case there were multiple shots in one and multiple stab wounds in the other one. Imo, the repetitiveness of the acts shows premeditation.

Imo, the three different ways she tried to murder Travis shows she had aforethought and premediated his murder.

The DA explained it to us that when someone shoots someone multiple times or stabs a victim repeatedly that shows premeditation was formed. I have seen several cases where the DA also put this forth to a jury to prove premeditation when there were multiple stabs, or shots to the murdered victim, and it really makes a lot of sense to me. With overkills like this one and the ones I sat on as a juror it showed they were overkills with no doubt that the intentions of the suspect was to murder the victim/s.

Each time the suspect shoots or stabs someone multiple times it is obvious their full intentions/goals are to see the victim dies. So they have premediated the murder of their victim. If she had only stabbed him once and he died then that may not show premeditation but she didn't do that. She killed him three different ways by shooting him in the head, stabbing him 27 times, and by almost decapitating his head. All of those murderous acts took aforethought and premeditation. There is no doubt there for any jury to ever think this wasn't premediated. Each violent act she did showed her goal was to attack Travis until he was dead.

So to me the overkill and repetitive stabs, shot to the head, and slashed throat would convince me as a juror this murder was premeditated.

I never understood in the past why there was so much overblown hysteria surrounding this trial, now I see it trickled down from the top meaning through both leading attorneys. From what I've heard of Juan's book so far I'm very disappointed and had hoped he was better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think her first big mistake was thinking she was more intelligent than she really was. The murder trail, before, during, and afterwards shows once again most murderers aren't nearly as smart as they thought they were. She, like so many before and after her, had no commonsense and logic. Psychopaths are convinced that they can lie their way out of anything.

The biggest mistakes she made were all the things she left at the crime scene. She placed herself right there when the murder of Travis was happening. There was no reasonable way to dismiss her print in the victim's blood on the wall. The only way a print can be left in blood is when the blood is still fluid and fresh. And then it was all downhill from there. Too many people knew how evil Jodi was before she even did this horrific crime. That is why immediately she was the main suspect.

The police knew it was a crime of monumental overkill and Travis had no one in his life that was that evil who would do something like this to him other than the woman he was trying to get away from. Everyone knew if he had an enemy at all it was JA and they all thought she was perfectly capable of doing something this twisted.

Imo, there is no way she would have gotten away with this. At least not the way she made it happen. She turned out to be as stupid as all of the other murderers who thought they had superior intelligence when in the end they turned out to be unbelievably dumb as dirt.

I still regret that there was one lone wolf holdout and knowing she was that close to being on death row where she really deserves to be.

:greatpost: oceanblueeyes!! and re bold - I think it's better now that whatever# :jail: is in there for LIFE! :happydance:

Going on vacation the 20th with my kindle :). Thanks for the heads up about the book release. So excited to read JM account of the trial.

Eta: lol dh staying home wants a good book, timing perfect. He listened to me go on and on for months about this trial. Hopefully there will not be any interviews or twitter from JA about JM book. She deserves a cactus shoved in her mouth. Jmo

ciao

:laughcry: re bold! :lol:

I never understood in the past why there was so much overblown hysteria surrounding this trial, now I see it trickled down from the top meaning through both leading attorneys. From what I've heard of Juan's book so far I'm very disappointed and had hoped he was better than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Care to expand on why you think that? What you've heard? from what sources?

I believe that if she had been smart enough to remain silent from the get-go, there would have been a very real possibility that some jurors could have found reasonable doubt.

The fact that she had so much arrogance and believed herself to be smarter than other people, led her to running her mouth, all of which added to the evidence to be used against her; and that was BEFORE the trial. Add to that the many provable lies that came from her 18(?) days on the stand.

Had she said absolutely nothing and lawyered-up from the start, the state would have had a much more uphill climb. Her first ridiculous story (not being there), followed by her second ridiculous story (the ninjas) were just too outlandish to be believable. Her own words were her undoing.

Anyone who has watched any crime shows or movies (or been involved in the Criminal Justice system), knows to ask for an attorney right off the bat. Who knows what would have happened had she done that AND secured the services of a good criminal defense attorney?

Her extreme hubris prevented her from doing the smart thing. No amount of dissembling on her part could overcome the evidence against her after she started talking. But hey, that's a good thing.

Quoting myself here. If you read the comments that are hidden, they are by. CMJA's BF Dwight who gives his explanation of the crime and evidence (per CMJA). Basically how she explains away the evidence against her.

Lol, he is posting on just about every fb support site for the killer, and in the comments of just about every article about her. Me thinks he might be a few fries short of a happy meal. To show how nuts and off the rails he is, he was kicked off of the nasty JAII site...now that's bad. WHACKO!

His latest conspiracy is that TA is still alive in that house. :what::ufo::abduction:

I am going with the pics on the camera as to what sealed her fate corroborated by the bloody Palm print. It will be interesting to hear what JM says.

I believe that if she had been smart enough to remain silent from the get-go, there would have been a very real possibility that some jurors could have found reasonable doubt.

The fact that she had so much arrogance and believed herself to be smarter than other people, led her to running her mouth, all of which added to the evidence to be used against her; and that was BEFORE the trial. Add to that the many provable lies that came from her 18(?) days on the stand.

Had she said absolutely nothing and lawyered-up from the start, the state would have had a much more uphill climb. Her first ridiculous story (not being there), followed by her second ridiculous story (the ninjas) were just too outlandish to be believable. Her own words were her undoing.

Anyone who has watched any crime shows or movies (or been involved in the Criminal Justice system), knows to ask for an attorney right off the bat. Who knows what would have happened had she done that AND secured the services of a good criminal defense attorney?

Her extreme hubris prevented her from doing the smart thing. No amount of dissembling on her part could overcome the evidence against her after she started talking. But hey, that's a good thing.

Even if she had wanted to remain silent, she couldn't have. Her psychopathy would not allow that.

Every word that she ever wrote or spoke showed her to be, in her mind, of the utmost intelligence. She felt she had nothing to fear by speaking out because she believed everyone would be blown away by her intelligence alone. And really, even if she had gotten a good attorney who jumped through hoops to get her to clam up, she would not have. She could not have. She's convicted and in prison for life and still can't shut her mouth. Her speech to the judge at sentencing was an opportunity to show some remorse, but does she do that? Nope...she thought it wiser to continue to trash her victim.

Even with all the evidence in this case, it would not have been a slam dunk without the benefit of the killer's mouth. There are just too many scenarios that can be suggested to jurors, and too many jurors ready to believe just about anything.

I do believe the gas cans showed premeditation of something nefarious, which of course turned out to be the murder of Travis Alexander. No one travels hundreds of miles through the desert with a trunk full of gas in cans...it's just not done, mostly because it is too dangerous but also because it is not necessary as most vehicles can travel far enough on a tank of gas to get to the next filling station.

I am waiting for the book to come out because I want to understand why it was written. I hope the reason is clear because in most cases where books are written by a prosecutor it is well after the trial and designed to answer some important questions. This book coming so soon after the fact is not something I would have expected and I hope to be set straight on the why(s) of it.

I have wondered where Juan got the information about the gas cans in the first place. Could it have been from the interview with Darryl??? He would not have known how important that information could be to the State when he let that out. He probably was just explaining why CMJA came to see him on that day. I wonder if he also told the investigator about a DVD player she gave him?? That remote she took back to Darryl's house really bugged me.

I hope he tells us how the State knew about the Gas Cans. I also hope he explains about that penis picture, that we all know wasn't TA's. I believe it was Darryl's. Juan remarked in court, no one could identify whose it was, yet the Judge let the DT make the claim it was TA's. The hands didn't match at all. They were old hands.

So many things I want Juan to explain, like why the Hughes were not called to testify in open court in front of the jury. I thought Abe A. did excellent, what he was ALLOWED to say.

Originally Posted by RickshawFan: The only photo that would have worked was the one with her pant leg and poor Travis' body because it shows her actively participating in the murder. It also shows the cruelty of the event.

In one of her Yreka cop shop interviews, I vaguely recall Lefty admitting to Det. Flores that she had *two* pairs of the sweat pants shown in that picture. I do recall Det. Flores' reply back to her as, "yeah, we found one pair in your bedroom closet". Hmm... where's the second pair, Jode? In a pile of ashes somewhere in the great basin? So anyway, if the sweatpants are admittedly hers, so too is the footwear. As is the foot itself.

=================================================================================================

Regarding the receipt for the third gas can from Walmart (or Costco)... had she not kept the receipt for that third gas can for her treasure chest, would Juan have had to speculate for the jury that she somehow had a third gas can to make sense of all the gas purchases? I mean would he have had to tell the jury she had to have somehow had a third gas can, even though he couldn't prove it to them?

With or without that receipt for that third gas can though, I think filling three gas cans with fuel each time she stopped to fill the tank on her rental car (to avoid detection in the entire state of Arizona) still points to premeditation -- especially considering all the other evidence against her -- namely the [cough, cough]stolen .25 Auto handgun[/cough, cough]

=================================================================================================

" Also to pocketaccount ..."

LOL!!! PocketAccent? LOLOL!

Quoting myself here. If you read the comments that are hidden, they are by. CMJA's BF Dwight who gives his explanation of the crime and evidence (per CMJA). Basically how she explains away the evidence against her.

My gosh... DH is as crazy as JA! WOW! He's a little scary!

I am going with the pics on the camera as to what sealed her fate corroborated by the bloody Palm print. It will be interesting to hear what JM says.

That is my guess too since this excerpt from his book says:

"What struck me as significant was that Travis was lying in his bed, a place of obvious emotional comfort, only a few short hours before he was bathed in his own blood. Even more shocking were three final photographs- shot accidentally just minutes later- showing the killer dragging Travis' body into the bathroom. These images were pivotal. Not only could police place her at the crime scene on the day of the murder, they had a virtual playbook of the crime itself. Although I had the palm print and DNA results, the importance of the photographs retrieved from the camera was hard to overstate. If Arias had simply taken the camera from the crime scene and disposed of it on the drive to Utah instead of leaving it behind after deleting the incriminating photographs, I might have never charged her with murder."

Just read the "In Touch" magazine article. Martinez seems to think that 3 pictures found on the camera, the accidental pictures taken of Jodi dragging Travis' body after she killed him, was the difference in whether he charged her in his murder or not. He says if she had disposed of the camera instead of throwing it in the washer, he may never have charged her with his murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member