TX - Jonathan Foster, 12, Houston, 24 Dec 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently law enforcement told AD that children could not be home alone under the age of 14. This does not sound right to me and I cannot find anything on the Texas CPS website. When my eldest (now 18) stayed home by himself after school at the age of 12, I called CPS to make sure it was ok. They told me they had no guidelines, that it depended on the maturity of the child. Anyway, I think that is why the babysitter story was invented.

Can anyone confirm how old a child must be to stay home alone in the state of Texas?

I can only find this so far ...

Legal Guidelines
Some parents look to the law for help in deciding when it is appropriate to leave a child home alone. According to the National Child Care Information Center, only Illinois and Maryland currently have laws regarding a minimum age for leaving a child home alone.1 Even in those States other factors, such as concern for a child's well-being and the amount of time the child is left alone, are considered. States that do not have laws may still offer guidelines for parents. For information on laws and guidelines in your State, contact your local CPS agency. If you need help contacting your local CPS agency, call Childhelp® at 800.422.4453.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/homealone.cfm

Apparently law enforcement told AD that children could not be home alone under the age of 14. This does not sound right to me and I cannot find anything on the Texas CPS website. When my eldest (now 18) stayed home by himself after school at the age of 12, I called CPS to make sure it was ok. They told me they had no guidelines, that it depended on the maturity of the child. Anyway, I think that is why the babysitter story was invented.

Can anyone confirm how old a child must be to stay home alone in the state of Texas?

In MA, it's 14, and you can be jailed for violating. Or at least that's what the police will tell you.

im sorry...did they say the man arrested was known to Jonathan? im confused....

I hate to say it...but could drugs be somehow involved in this case?

My husband and I asked this of CPS several years ago as my stepdaughter was being left home alone overnight with her then 6 yr old brother, she was 12. CPS told us that it depends on the maturity level of that 12 yr old, that they don't have a specific age.

New thread coming up!!! Be sure to save/copy your post so you don't lose it when this gets locked!

If there's any important links that should be included (regarding the arrest, etc.) please let me know and I'll include it in the OP.

Thank you! Then why would LE have told her that?

Please don't take offense to this but maybe that's just what she said to cover her own self for telling the lie about the babysitter to begin with.

im sorry...did they say the man arrested was known to Jonathan? im confused....

No. They showed a man getting into a car and stated that he was being brought in for questioning. Then, they panned over to what looked like a back door to a house and showed 1 or 2 officers walking out with some items in their hands. The broadcaster said that they had just executed the search warrant and were taking some items.

Possible, but how did the woman get into the house? How is it that the stepdad was there just 15 minutes before these people were there? Did they have something against him? Is that why the mom moved into a different apartment, because stepdad had something going on, and threats? Drug money owed? Deals not completed? She tried to distance herself, they following him there to find out a way they could show him they meant business thinking he'd be effected by the boy's disappearance? There are still a LOT of possibilities, too many to even grasp really.

Sounds like they're getting to the bottom of it at least. At least, let's hope they get ALL the parties involved.

If he was being stalked by a predator or predatory couple, they might well have been spying on him to that extent. They might have known the stepfather was checking on him periodically and timed their move right after his visit.

Hmmm. Maybe a possible scenario? I'm wondering if maybe the babysister was with the stepdad and Jonathon caught them. Jonathon picked up the phone to call her mom, babysitter over heard Jonathan say? Can I speak to Angela please, the babysitter (who might have a raspy voice) than might have said, Angela your mom than took the phone from Jonathan?

Predators watch, that's what they are good at - and that's what scares the living daylights out of me.

This is exactly right, and it makes it easier for them when people have a regular routine they follow everyday, makes them predictable.

Like for instance mom leaving for work everyday at a certain time, returning home at a certain time, and leaving the child at home by himself.

Or people who jog, or walk the same time, the same way everyday very vunerable if someone has bad intentions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23