33 souls on cargo ship missing in Hurricane Joaquin, October 2015

My daughter's best friend's dad is/was on that ship. Her (the friend) FB posts are heartbreaking :(

Those large cargo ships always look like they try to stack too many containers on those things.

Every time I see one of those ships it looks like it is ready to topple over or sink. It amazes me they float at all even in calm weather.

Maybe its time for some regulations that would have stricter weight limits and less height of the containers.

I do think the captain made a serious error getting anywhere near that storm. I think what happens is on previous trips the captains have probably rode out some tough storms and they think they can handle the next one. Getting too confident about what the ship can handle.

I hope they find some life rafts with people on them. I recently saw the movie about the Olympian that survived 47 days at sea before being captured. They survived in rubber life rafts. Hopefully at least some of the crew is still alive out there. I hope searchers don't give up until they try for some more days looking for survivors.

Prayers for all affected by this tragedy.

Seems very unlikely anybody survived. Human being vs cat 4-5 hurricane? Even if they got from the ship in a life boat, life boat is no match for the hurricane.

The odds are slim but I am going to keep my hopes and prayers for them.

At least searchers are finding body survival suits and life saving equipment. So there is a chance even if odds are low. Those body suits are meant to keep someone afloat even if they are in the water without a life raft. The rafts usually have ropes and some of them may have tied themselves to the raft. I realize odds are not good but the searchers will keep looking and maybe a miracle will happen.

Im glad searchers have found the right location.
Half the battle was finding the general location. Now they know the general vicinity. Although many miles now have to be searched and most of us know it is still a daunting task to spot something in the water.

Hoping for a miracle here that maybe some of them made it.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/coast-guard-to-brief-monday-on-el-faro/35656756

"Searchers found unidentifiable human remains in one survival suit and the Coast Guard has switched its focus from looking for the ship to searching for any signs of life.

Family members were told in a conference call at 9 a.m. An hour later, a Coast Guard spokesman said the focus of the search has shifted to any possible survivors."

Hatfield, I'm so praying for a miracle too. My sister called and told me a relative of one of her employees was also on board.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-32...decision-sail-straight-Hurricane-Joaquin.html
Empty life rings spotted in the Bermuda Triangle where cargo ship carrying 33 people is missing as angry families hit out at captain's decision to sail straight into Hurricane Joaquin

My .02 is that this captain was experienced and had most likely weathered storms before.. and maybe this one quickly turned out to be more severe ?
One can hardly blame the families, they must be worried sick to the point where normal life ceases -- i.e., cannot sleep, eat, etc. :(

No one can fault the families or the crew for that matter. People are just trying to hold onto jobs. Everyone has responsibilities. I am just upset that they were allowed out by the powers that be (land-bound administrators). It's possible that things turned too quickly and I know I'm Monday morning quarterbacking. I'm just so sad that we may have lost more innocents. Way too many lately, but even one is too many.

Sounds just like The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

[video=youtube;9vST6hVRj2A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A[/video]

Beautiful, KB! Always loved Gordon Lightfoot.

Those large cargo ships always look like they try to stack too many containers on those things.

Every time I see one of those ships it looks like it is ready to topple over or sink. It amazes me they float at all even in calm weather.

Maybe its time for some regulations that would have stricter weight limits and less height of the containers.

I do think the captain made a serious error getting anywhere near that storm. I think what happens is on previous trips the captains have probably rode out some tough storms and they think they can handle the next one. Getting too confident about what the ship can handle.

I hope they find some life rafts with people on them. I recently saw the movie about the Olympian that survived 47 days at sea before being captured. They survived in rubber life rafts. Hopefully at least some of the crew is still alive out there. I hope searchers don't give up until they try for some more days looking for survivors.

Prayers for all affected by this tragedy.

What amazed me on a documentary I once viewed, was how many containers fall from these ships and are sitting in the ocean. I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/01/135040267/lost-then-found-shipping-containers-on-seafloor

""As a matter or course of business, about 10,000 of these containers fall off of a ship every year," he says. That's a rough estimate — no one knows exactly what the number is, but it's clearly in the thousands every year. And they're clustered along shipping lanes that crisscross the oceans." (snipped)

As far as I recall it was expected to turn into a hurricane. Maybe not Cat 5, but it was expected to intensify.

It intensified very, very quickly. From a Cat 1 to Cat 3 in six hours (source: http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/archive.html?year=2015&month=10 ) That is super fast. And while weather services have become better and better at predicting the paths of hurricanes, predicting intensity with any accuracy is still very hard to do. As an example, there is a typhoon that hit China this weekend that went from Cat 1 to Cat 4 in less than 12 hours. Remember that these storms are often huge and can be very hard for a ship to get out of the way of.

[video=youtube;mGhgOMpXoHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGhgOMpXoHc[/video]

My understanding is that the cargo weighs the ship down into the water making it more stable. A fully loaded cargo ship is supposed to be more stable then an empty ship in a storm. So I doubt that over loading would have been a factor in this ship wreck.

The odds are slim but I am going to keep my hopes and prayers for them.

At least searchers are finding body survival suits and life saving equipment. So there is a chance even if odds are low. Those body suits are meant to keep someone afloat even if they are in the water without a life raft. The rafts usually have ropes and some of them may have tied themselves to the raft. I realize odds are not good but the searchers will keep looking and maybe a miracle will happen.

Unfortunately it seems that most of the survival suits were empty, and the life boats were also empty and badly damaged. So that's not really good news. If there are still any survivors they would be in the water without a survival suit. I'm not sure if anyone can survive in those conditions for that long. :(

unless there is news i have not seen - there should still be one lifeboat unaccounted for and i have not heard anyone say that they found all of the survival suits.

that said, it is still highly unlikely that anyone survived for long after the ship went down in those seas.

I can't believe they didn't recover the body. Since they were already in the water to check it, and if for no other reason then to get it out of the water. So they don't keep finding the same body over again. Thats the only thing about their search operation that doesn't make sense to me.

they may have attached a buoy/locator to it, but if you listen to the press conference they are looking for survivors. recovering a body is time consuming and has a heightened risk, they would not prioritize that over continuing to search for survivors.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back