Identified! Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

There's an update, courtesy of James Renner, on reddit:

-It is now almost certain that his surname is Nichols/Nicholas, etc.

-He is believed to have/have had family in Tulsa or OKC.

There's an update, courtesy of James Renner, on reddit:

-It is now almost certain that his surname is Nichols/Nicholas, etc.

-He is believed to have/have had family in Tulsa or OKC.
Since the surnames were found using Y-DNA testing, it makes me wonder how many generations back they got to the point where the surname is uncertain as stylized. I have discretions in mine as little as 100 years ago, although Nichols isn't necessarily the most exotic name to pronounce or spell.

Also have to think how many other men were found through the Y-DNA. Because how many people do you know that has done ancestry research, let alone paid for the testing? The common ancestor could be tied to a 3rd cousin twice removed etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On the Reddit thread someone said that the father of the dead chandler child was an aerospace engineer in Oklahoma City and Tulsa and speculates whether it was a co-worker who took the identity.

American Airlines employee maybe?

http://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=tu008

"The aviation industry has a long history in the county, beginning in 1928 when the Skelly Oil Company purchased the Mid-Continent Aircraft Company and began building Spartan airplanes in Tulsa. During World War II the federal government built an aircraft factory, known as the Tulsa Bomber Plant, which the Douglas Aircraft Company operated. Except for a brief period after the war ended, the plant continued to produce planes until 1991. In the late 1940s American Airlines began to relocate its maintenance and engineering operations to Tulsa, with the facility fully operational by 1952. American Airlines has continued this presence into the twenty-first century."

On the Reddit thread someone said that the father of the dead chandler child was an aerospace engineer in Oklahoma City and Tulsa and speculates whether it was a co-worker who took the identity.

oh this is so interesting!

oh this is so interesting!
isn't our uid supposed to be approximately the age of the real JNC3? If so that would rule out being a co-worker.

But definitely interesting. We must be closing in on him.

isn't our uid supposed to be approximately the age of the real JNC3? If so that would rule out being a co-worker.

But definitely interesting. We must be closing in on him.

You're right. But maybe UID had an older family member who was a co-worker and he knew the story growing up. Or, just a kid who grew up there knowing the story.

I have an active subscription to Ancestry at the moment, but I'm not the greatest at digging on it. If someone with great skills could use this or similar sites (familysearch, etc) to search for "Nichols" or "Nicholas" who were born in the 1930s and lived in both the Tulsa area around 1945 and the Rapid City area around 1978. That would be a great lead.

You're right. But maybe UID had an older family member who was a co-worker and he knew the story growing up. Or, just a kid who grew up there knowing the story.

He could also have heard the story from an older co-worker.

I have an active subscription to Ancestry at the moment, but I'm not the greatest at digging on it. If someone with great skills could use this or similar sites (familysearch, etc) to search for "Nichols" or "Nicholas" who were born in the 1930s and lived in both the Tulsa area around 1945 and the Rapid City area around 1978. That would be a great lead.

I'm wondering if he hadn't already "dropped off the grid" by 1978. It wouldn't have been hard to find a boarding house and pay cash for a room while waiting for the birth certificate.

Most likely not related at all but I remember a fairly well known family in Oklahoma named Nickles. One was a senator for quite awhile

Most likely not related at all but I remember a fairly well known family in Oklahoma named Nickles. One was a senator for quite awhile

I believe I found his Wikipedia page. He was from a small north-central OK town, and the word "Tulsa" didn't even appear on the page.

I believe I found his Wikipedia page. He was from a small north-central OK town, and the word "Tulsa" didn't even appear on the page.

More over the Nickles family was fairly welltodo in Oklahoma through those years. My sister was actually best friends with the senators niece in the early 1980s.

I'm following a trail on Ancestry.com, and it may be completely unrelated, so I'm going to post limited information about it, but I'm seeing some things that of interest. Anyone with an active Ancestry subscription should also be able to find this.

I searched for individuals with the last name Nichols who lived in Oklahoma in the 1940s. A result came up for a person born in 1932 (consistent with Chandler's age). It appears as though in both 1935 and 1940, the person lived in Fort Towson, OK. This is only ~100 miles from Sherman, TX, where the real Chandler died in the car accident in 1945.

I then queried Ancestry for individuals with this same name who lived in Rapid City in the 1970s. To my surprise, I got an exact match down to the birth year. It shows an address in Rapid City along with two mail drops in Eureka, Montana.

Here's where things get weird. The Rapid City address listed in Ancestry appears to be fictitious. Entering it on Google maps drops you onto a railroad crossing. The building on the northwest side of the crossing has an address two digits lower, and none of the other buildings around have similar addresses. Entering the address on https://smartystreets.com/products/single-address generates a "Primary number invalid" error.

I'm not going to get any more specific at the moment because it may be completely unrelated. But this seems a little too coincidental to not at least take a further look at.

Opinions requested please.

I'm following a trail on Ancestry.com, and it may be completely unrelated, so I'm going to post limited information about it, but I'm seeing some things that of interest. Anyone with an active Ancestry subscription should also be able to find this.

I searched for individuals with the last name Nichols who lived in Oklahoma in the 1940s. A result came up for a person born in 1932 (consistent with Chandler's age). It appears as though in both 1935 and 1940, the person lived in Fort Towson, OK. This is only ~100 miles from Sherman, TX, where the real Chandler died in the car accident in 1945.

I then queried Ancestry for individuals with this same name who lived in Rapid City in the 1970s. To my surprise, I got an exact match down to the birth year. It shows an address in Rapid City along with two mail drops in Eureka, Montana.

Here's where things get weird. The Rapid City address listed in Ancestry appears to be fictitious. Entering it on Google maps drops you onto a railroad crossing. The building on the northwest side of the crossing has an address two digits lower, and none of the other buildings around have similar addresses. Entering the address on https://smartystreets.com/products/single-address generates a "Primary number invalid" error.

I'm not going to get any more specific at the moment because it may be completely unrelated. But this seems a little too coincidental to not at least take a further look at.

Opinions requested please.

I think I found your trail. First initial R and middle initial L on the Rapid City address? And living with his grandparents RN and AN and KN and possibly a sister PD in the 1940 Fort Towson, OK Census? You are right that the Rapid City address does not seem to exist. I looked for it in the property records here: http://www.pennco.org/index.asp?SEC=3136718D-3F34-481A-BA83-1C43CA113B46 And came up with nothing. However, the date he had that address was 1977 and the road now appears to be a main HWY. Possibly it was not a main HWY in the 1970's. Perhaps the land was bought by the state to build the HWY and that is why the address does not exist today. When I search ancestry for the man by his first name, middle initial, last name with his exact date of birth as it appears on the Rapid City address record I find that 3 people have him listed in their family trees. He died in 2009 in Rapid City. And the RLN who lived in Rapid City in the 1970's does not appear to be the same as the one who lived in Fort Towson, OK in 1940, despite the same name and the the birth year being the same as the 1940 census. The RLN in Rapid City was Native American according to his family trees and the census records they linked, which is a different 1940 census from the Fort Towson one. The RN who lived in Fort Towson in 1940 was listed as white. They have different parents and are different people. I can't find what happened to the 8 year old RN after 1940. His mother, KN, died in Dec 1971. Since RN is a very common name, he might have moved anywhere in the country after 1940. Not sure how to track him down to rule out further unless someone finds his sister or a 1971 obituary for his mother (she was listed as a widow in the 1940 census).

I think I found your trail. First initial R and middle initial L on the Rapid City address? And living with his grandparents RN and AN and KN and possibly a sister PD in the 1940 Fort Towson, OK Census? You are right that the Rapid City address does not seem to exist. I looked for it in the property records here: http://www.pennco.org/index.asp?SEC=3136718D-3F34-481A-BA83-1C43CA113B46 And came up with nothing. However, the date he had that address was 1977 and the road now appears to be a main HWY. Possibly it was not a main HWY in the 1970's. Perhaps the land was bought by the state to build the HWY and that is why the address does not exist today. When I search ancestry for the man by his first name, middle initial, last name with his exact date of birth as it appears on the Rapid City address record I find that 3 people have him listed in their family trees. He died in 2009 in Rapid City. And the RLN who lived in Rapid City in the 1970's does not appear to be the same as the one who lived in Fort Towson, OK in 1940, despite the same name and the the birth year being the same as the 1940 census. The RLN in Rapid City was Native American according to his family trees and the census records they linked, which is a different 1940 census from the Fort Towson one. The RN who lived in Fort Towson in 1940 was listed as white. They have different parents and are different people. I can't find what happened to the 8 year old RN after 1940. His mother, KN, died in Dec 1971. Since RN is a very common name, he might have moved anywhere in the country after 1940. Not sure how to track him down to rule out further unless someone finds his sister or a 1971 obituary for his mother (she was listed as a widow in the 1940 census).

Just two things. We did have an address in South Dakota where the birth certificate was sent. It should be in the thread somewhere. And two, the UID did claim to have a sister in Columbus, Ohio.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back