500 native women who have disappeared or been murdered in the last 20 years

Vigils honour hundreds of missing aboriginal women

Oct 04, 2009 07:26 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Dozens of vigils were held across the country Sunday to remember more than 500 aboriginal women who have vanished in the last three decades and to draw attention to what organizers called a national tragedy.

"We call for a national plan of action that recognizes the violence faced by aboriginal women because they are aboriginal," organizer Alana Lee said as sweetgrass smoke hung heavy in the air.

"Violence against aboriginal women is too big a problem to ignore."

"We all have a responsibility that if we see something that we don't approve of, speak up, say something because you never know, that might be the call that actually saves someone's life," she said through tears.

"It's because of the systemic structures of poverty, colonization and racism."

The Canadian government is unwilling to protect First Nations women from the violence, Reynolds said.

(Snipped and formatted.)

More at:

http://www.thestar.com/article/705271

They are the keepers of the flame for more than 500 missing and murdered aboriginal women in Canada. And their crusade has become--for the moment, anyway--the whole country's crusade.

From a cramped, west-end Ottawa office decorated with dream catchers and infused with hope, the place where a great divide is bridged between hundreds of grieving communities across Canada and the powers that be on Parliament Hill, a small team of researchers and outreach workers is trying hard not to say: "We told you so."

But the people behind Sisters in Spirit, a five-year, federally funded initiative launched in 2005 by the Native Women's Association of Canada, have been saying all along what most Canadians are just now waking up to after a recent media blitz about murdered and missing women in Western Canada.

They've been telling Canadians that the dead and disappeared are almost everywhere across the country; that there is no single serial killer at work, except apathy; that the tragedy runs deep into the history of aboriginal dispossession and discrimination; that jurisdictional tangles and cultural blind spots help explain why so many killings and so many vanished women have been relegated to the cold-case file.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Sisters+lead+hunt+native+justice/2142532/story.html

Some of the hundreds who marched through Vancouver's Downtown Eastside on Valentine's Day to remember the city's missing and murdered women say they're still concerned a forthcoming public inquiry is solely focused on the high-profile case of serial killer Robert Pickton.

Carrying baskets of red and yellow roses, giant photo collages of lost loved ones and hand-printed signs warning about the "danger" of certain men, the large crowd walked through drenching rain after a memorial service in a Downtown Eastside community centre.

It was the 20th year for the annual march, which started as residents of the blighted neighbourhood tried desperately to bring attention to women -- many aboriginal sex workers -- who were disappearing in growing numbers.

Just before Monday's grim ceremony, advocates spoke out about what they say are inadequacies with the provincial inquiry, which is expected to get under way later this year. Among their concerns were a perceived lack of consultation with the victims' families and aboriginal groups, as well as the appointment of just a single commissioner to oversee the hearings.

"We're talking about, frankly, the most pressing social issue of our time," Angela MacDougall, one of several march organizers, told a news conference.

"We should all be extremely concerned by this lack of attention by the provincial government."

Another big mistake is failing to include women and girls who have vanished for years along the so-called Highway of Tears in northern British Columbia, she said.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...march_110214/20110214?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Is there a list of these missing women anywhere, with descriptions and other information? The Unidentified section lists a number of women who are thought to be of native ancestry who might be connected.

Thank you!

Yes, a forum would be a good idea. It's a large and complex investigation and deserves much more attention than it gets. Those poor women...

The reason I suggest it is that there does seem to be a need for resources on the missing victims, and I think WS would be a great place for it.

People should care more about this. It is a horrible thing.

While we explore this, I want to express some thoughts. There is a fine line between acknowleging the lifestyle of the missing/murdered women and blaming them for being victims. I doubt anyone wakes up one day and says, "hey I think I will become the possible victim of a serial predator by behaving in xyz fashion."

People who are marginalized need more attention than most in a case like this, imo. A transient lifestyle makes you hard to look for-some where there is a family member sadly wondering where their loved one is. Being a native doesnt appear to me to be the sole reason to consider someone marginalized, either...so I think we have to be very sensitive while we explore the relationships between these cases.

My :twocents:

Another WS thread on this topic:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88337"]BC 'Highway of Tears' search of property - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

New forum up and running:

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=439"]Western Canada's Highway of Tears - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

OTTAWA — Some street prostitutes in Ottawa’s east end say they are unsettled after learning that a john tried to kill one of their colleagues, who was choked unconscious and then dragged to her attacker’s car.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Working in the Ottawa east end’s sex trade has been particularly tough the past few years.

Jennifer Stewart, 36, was found dead in a Vanier parking lot in August 2010.

Kelly Morrisseau, 27, and pregnant, was found naked and bleeding in a parking lot near Gatineau Park in 2006.

She died in hospital and an autopsy showed she had been stabbed at least a dozen times while trying to fight off her attacker.

The Vanier street prostitutes, both aboriginal, were knifed to death.

Jennifer Stewart worked the same Vanier streets as Morrisseau. Also a mother, she turned tricks to feed her crack habit. She had stab wounds to her head, legs and wrists and was found dead a short walk from her apartment.

Around the time Stewart was killed, streetwalkers of Vanier, as they call themselves, said they had been having a lot of trouble with two bad johns.

One was said to flash a badge of some sort, say he was a police officer and demand free sexual favours, threatening arrest if the prostitute refused. Another john was said to be quick to wave a knife to force them to give him sex for free
There are 41 unsolved murders on the Ottawa Police books, including several prostitute killings. The latest involved a woman named Leeanne Lawson, who was found dead in a parking lot near King Edward Avenue in September. [2011]
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ottawa+faces+attempted+murder+charge+after+prostitute+attacked/5763237/story.html

I think you're missing something, since I'm a history teacher. The Trail of Tears has been in history books for years, as has been Wounded Knee. Every h.s. history teacher that I know teaches both. And, yes, they are both in The Americans, a widely distributed text.

These incidences are certainly NOT taught to any real degree in American schools. I never knew anything about Wounded Knee other than the name until I read Brown's book back in high school on my own. The first time i heard about the Trail of Tears was as a boy when I got map from my mother than showed it plotted out. It was years before I read in depth about it from the books of John Upton Terrell and cannot recall it being covered in school except perhaps very lightly. Incidents as the Sand Creek Massacre were never mentioned at all and i doubt that they still are. The incident was so horrific, so unbelievable, that I doubt a single white American wants his or her child to be taught about the kind of things their ancestors did to "civilize" this country. Or that this kind of thing went on in Vietnam (My Lai) and Iraq.

At the same time, when I read the title of this folder from the main page, even before I opened it, I knew if was going to be about native women and not white women. It had to be. If that many white women were disappearing in Canada, the whole world would have heard about it. It's inconceivable that many native women could die or disappear but nobody really cares. If they were white, the cops would have caught the guy long ago. Don't bother to argue that with me because you won't change my mind.

If someone wants to talk about a racial group that gets little or no media attention or discussion...

Try to find "Trail of Tears" in your kid's history books! :furious:

My ancestors walked that trail. :(

There is a 48 Hours show on this right now on CBS.

Wow - I haven't been following this case much but they suspect the recently discovered American killer to be a killer of up to 7 women in Oregon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back