Identified! KY - Williamsburg, BlkMale Skeletal UP13893, 31-69, near pond, Mar'15 - Richard Wood

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.thenewsjournal.net/detai...man-remains-near-Williamsburg-Sunday#comments

Investigators have more questions than answers regarding skeletal remains that were found early Sunday afternoon near Williamsburg. Whitley County Sheriff Colan Harrell said two fishermen discovered the remains about 1:15 p.m. Sunday in a wooded area a few feet from a pond at the end of Happy Hollow Road...

Harrell said that investigators recovered about 15 – 20 percent of the skeletal remains or major bones. The skeletal remains will be sent to the state medical examiner’s office in Frankfort early this week for further analysis.

Currently, investigators aren’t speculating on whether the remains belong to a man or woman, how the person died or how long the remains had been there.

Claude and Susan Shelton were last seen in Williamsburg in 1971, but I'm not sure how much bone would be left after 44 years. Buried and recently exposed might be feasible.

The location is a short walk from I-75.

http://www.lex18.com/story/28524534/skeletal-human-remains-found-in-whitley-county

With clear skies and spring like temperatures, Clifton Rose thought Sunday would be the perfect day for a fishing trip. Rose and a friend headed for Happy Hollow Road near Williamsburg, a place right off the interstate, where they had fished in previous years...

"We had a nice little shaded spot. Perfect, like right off the water. And there was a skull there, so that kind of ruined it for us," Rose told LEX 18's Josh Breslow. "Of all the things that could've happened that day, that was the last thing I expected"...

Sheriff Harrell said the search for more remains should resume Tuesday with cadaver dogs and metal detectors.

The video mentioned that the location is not far off the interstate. Which interstate I don't know :p

The video mentioned that the location is not far off the interstate. Which interstate I don't know :p

Happy Hollow Rd runs alongside I-75, not far from Williamsburg. When looking at the map, I couldn't decide how the body got there.

It could have been dumped from I-75, which means the victim could have been from anywhere.
If it were a local murder, somebody likely dumped the body from Happy Hollow.

That would all depend upon which side of Happy Hollow Road they found the body on... East could be from I-75. West would have to have been dumped from Happy Hollow.

There seem to be a couple of ponds that could be described as "a pond at the end of Happy Hollow Road", the local road is running east of the ponds and the interstate is further east.

Someone commented on the Williamsburg (News Journal) story that this could be a Roger Sasko, or at least that he was a person missing from nearby. He's been missing (from Powers Hollow Rd, a little east of Williamsburg) since 2003.

Search For Man Missing Since 2003 Has New Lead (WKYT, Lexington, KY 3/8/2007)
Roger Sasko's family reported him missing back in November 2003 and police say they've exhausted many leads since then.

They had a suspicion about Sasko's son's property and when they got the opportunity, Wednesday, to have police dogs sniff the area they became even more suspicious.

UPDATED: Missing person case leads to discovery of 12 lbs. of pot, $20,000 cash (The News Journal, Williamsburg, KY 9/13/2012)
Williamsburg police efforts to find a man, who has been missing since late 2003, inadvertently led officers to an alleged marijuana transaction last week that resulted in the recovery of about $20,000 cash and nearly 12 pounds of processed marijuana.

On Sept. 12 about 6:30 p.m. Williamsburg Police Detective Bobby Freeman charged Johnny W. Johnson, 57, of Powers Hollow Road, and Michael Rose, 50, of 5970 E904, with first-offense trafficking in marijuana over five pounds.
After Sasko was reported missing during the first week of November 2003, members of his family received some letters or postcards reportedly from Sasko shortly after he disappeared, but the authenticity of those correspondents hasn't been determined.

The letters reported that Sasko was traveling, and bore a Lexington postmark.

** I can't find Sasko on any missing persons websites. I also haven't seen a pic of him in any of the stories about him. So we don't know his height/weight, distinguishing features, etc. **

There seem to be a couple of ponds that could be described as "a pond at the end of Happy Hollow Road", the local road is running east of the ponds and the interstate is further east.

I looked at the map again and it does look like any of the ponds I saw are west of Happy Hollow. So the victim likely wasn't dumped from I-75.

Williamsburg, Kentucky is right off of Interstate 75. The Kentucky-Tennessee border is 11 miles from Williamsburg.

Looked on Google Maps and it says that both ways are about 3-hrs.

You can either take US-23 (north from P-ville), turn on KY-80 (east) and take Mtn Parkway (Hal Rogers) to London and I-75 and go south a couple of counties to Williamsburg.

***Or you can just go south on US-119 to Pineville. This is more of an as-the-bird-flies route. At the end of US-119, go north on US-25E for a bit and turn left on my dear friend KY-92. That road takes you to Williamsburg.

***pville to happy hollow.JPG

The bones were found about 10-mins from Williamsburg-proper. Happy Hollow Rd seems to be an I-75 frontage road that heads south from just-at the western side of the KY-92 exit.

But from satellite photos, it looks like the pond "at the end" of Happy Hollow would not be accessible from I-75 (only HH-Rd)

bfl, how far is this from Pike County? TIA!

If you're thinking the "victim" (no m/f or race status) could be from Pike County, I thought there were plenty better dumping places close-by. The Fishtrap Lake area and down around Breaks Park look like they'd be perfect for a "needle in a haystack" situation...

I hope I don't sound like a serial killer by saying that!

If you're thinking the "victim" (no m/f or race status) could be from Pike County, I thought there were plenty better dumping places close-by. The Fishtrap Lake area and down around Breaks Park look like they'd be perfect for a "needle in a haystack" situation...

My nephew by marriage, was the one of those to find Jimmy Kelly's car. It was abandoned, but he said you couldn't get within 20 foot of the car without puking. That guy, (can't remember his name) from Tennessee, was found right above my house. I had passed him several time on my 4 wheeler, and never smelled the first whiff. That map looks like it could be a decent chance that this could be Jimmy. If anything more comes out, feel free to submit his name. I don't collect rewards for things like this. On his FB page, someone commented that they had dogs at the foot of Kelly Mountain in March, but nothing sense then.

Jimmy's thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ike-County-12-June-2013&highlight=jimmy+kelly

You don't. :floorlaugh:

I bet we all sound like that half the time! :D

Distance isn't the only factor in something like that. There's also what's usually called the killer's comfort zone that I learned about when following the Grim Sleeper case. Basically the places the killer prefers to go. It's especially about serial killers but ordinary murderers tend to have some of the same behavior too. One of the things it can mean is that the killer will pass up what seems to be a more obvious place for one he feels more comfortable with. So if, for example, he used to come to the area for vacation, he might feel more comfortable going to that area to leave a body even if that means driving for an hour through territory he's not comfortable in.

Police Say They May Know Identity Of Man Found Dead In Madison County Creek
Apr 10, 2015 4:18 AM CDT

Police say after combing through missing person reports, they think they know who the man was, but have decided not released a name.

"There is a chance it may have been here for a little while so we are trying to work our case backwards. If we can confirm who it is and when they went missing, maybe that will give us a little better idea of what actually took place and how long the body has been in this location." KSP Trooper Robert Purdy said.

Police have not said if they suspect foul play in the man's death, but did say it does not appear an accident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back