Remains of 274 US troops dumped in landfill

This is outrageous and very disrespectful to the ones who gave their lives for their country!

From your link:

"After allegations from whistle-blowers, an Air Force probe found that two "portions of the remains" of fallen troops had been lost and uncovered other problems at the morgue.

New procedures have been put in place at the mortuary and the commander at the morgue, a colonel, together with two civilian officials were disciplined over the episode but not sacked."

I disagree with this action, they should have been sacked...unless somebody has to really pay for this type of neglect, it will continue in one form or another....

Surely out of the many bases we have in the U.S. an area could have been found to dispose of the remains without this disgrace....

This is outrageous and very disrespectful to the ones who gave their lives for their country!

From your link:

"After allegations from whistle-blowers, an Air Force probe found that two "portions of the remains" of fallen troops had been lost and uncovered other problems at the morgue.

New procedures have been put in place at the mortuary and the commander at the morgue, a colonel, together with two civilian officials were disciplined over the episode but not sacked."

I disagree with this action, they should have been sacked...unless somebody has to really pay for this type of neglect, it will continue in one form or another....

Surely out of the many bases we have in the U.S. an area could have been found to dispose of the remains without this disgrace....

Not Sacked!

I hold this in greater contempt than I do the civilian crematories who were found not to be cremating the remains that were entrusted to them. And the supposeded operators of those crematorium's were criminally charged. Why are the officials who were supposedly in charge with the duties of caring for these fallen soldiers not court martialled? They not only failed in their duties, they failed to show respect for their fallen brothern. What justification did they use that allowed them to evade the court martial?

I read this article and was flabbergasted.

I read where the mortuary doesn't have regs about disposal.

Well they better get some pronto. Because this is what happens when you don't have rules and regs. Somebody makes an "executive decision" to do what was done to these remains.

And from what I've read it was more than likely that COL. And if he/she didn't give the oral command to do this and was just following what has always been done. They are remiss in either case.

Peeves me off that the COL probably wasn't prosecute within the military because there were not regs and therefore probably not a violation of UCMJ. So, I want the locals officials that govern that landfill to have a look at their laws. If they can I want them to prosecute this COL for disposing of human remains (cremains) in a dump/landfill.

Absolutely disgusting! Sorry for the rant!

New procedures were put in place? How long have we been at war now? Over 10 dam years -- long enough to have procedures set in stone that would protect the humanity, respect and sanctity of our decesased soldiers.

You know, it could "almost" be forgiveable if this had happened in Afghanastan, under such dire circumstances, but this happened at Dover Air Base -- the main point of entry for US war dead.

NO EXCUSE!

No, there needs to be more than discipline here. Not only should the families receive monetary damages, but the house needs to be cleaned....starting at the top!

As a family with a lot of military members, I am outraged!!

Mel

My bet would be it was a budget cut....it always seems to boil down to $$$ IMO

I am in tears. How many times have we lamented the poor babies, children, and other victims whose bodies were tossed into dumpsters or left outside to rot--and here our own government has been doing this with our fallen military?? My heart goes out to the families who entrusted their loved ones' remains to these people. Heartbreaking.

...before halting the secretive practice in 2008...

Imagine the outcry we'd hear from corporate media if this had occurred during Obama's presidency. They'd be blaming him personally and calling for his head.

Myself, I'm offended but not even the tiniest bit surprised. They may be our sons and daughters and brothers and fathers, but to those who love war, they're just tools to be used up and thrown away.

...before halting the secretive practice in 2008...

Imagine the outcry we'd hear from corporate media if this had occurred during Obama's presidency. They'd be blaming him personally and calling for his head.

Myself, I'm offended but not even the tiniest bit surprised. They may be our sons and daughters and brothers and fathers, but to those who love war, they're just tools to be used up and thrown away.

Those who love war?
Who on Earth loves war?

I think everybody hates war but some feel it's necessary and some do not.

Utterly disgusting and disgraceful. :furious:

Those who love war?
Who on Earth loves war?

Given that Iraq had no navy and no air force, their only threat to us was... well no threat. None. Zero. Certain people love war so much they lied us into several of them.

In reading further on this, they say that no one in high authority actually decided to do this, so it's all good then, they seem to think.

GMAB

Every thread turns political it seems.

The soldier's that were tossed into the landfill, may have had family. Family that could not afford to bury or otherwise memorialize their soldier. And it didn't mean they didn't care.

Other soldiers may have had children. And this is the one that gets to me. A child that grows up knowing that his/her parent was killed in a war for their country, and someday when they are grown they will go looking for the burial site for their parent. Only to be told that parent who was taken from them in the service of their country, is not buried but instead was tossed into a landfill. I cannot imagine the horror!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back