Deceased/Not Found MI - Bianca Jones, 2, Detroit, 2 Dec 2011 - #2 - *D. Lane guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong, but it looks to me like he just answered with what he's hoping to major in -

As in, what are you studying? Accounting. Engineering. Biomedical Science. Architecture. His answer is Education.

Respectfully, when studying education there is generally an area of education one is studying. for example, early childhood education..... IMO "education" was the first thing that popped into his head and he needed the extra time to come up with a more detailed explanation when asked/pressed for additional information.

I'll be more than willing to eat crow if a convicted felon with drug and weapons charges can gain employment as a teacher or social worker.

I'd like to see the surveillance video, and whether it shows Bianca looking active and healthy.

It's weird, sometimes you think you know something, like she was severely beaten, and it turns out to be a red herring and incorrect.

Wonder how the financial aid thing went. Was it encouraging - or did he feel like it wasn't going to happen.

I wonder if the college uses the FAFSA...a lot of schools do now, it's the only program that many will use to determine financial aid. You cannot apply for loans through FAFSA with any drug possession or felony charge.

He could get private loans, but that would require him to have a decent credit score, and that doesn't happen when you're poor, usually.

One of the only ways to beat this is to provide a certain number or a certain time period worth of clean drug screens and no further problems with the law.

I went and checked my paperwork.

ETA: He might not have had to print any financial aid paperwork from home. The paperwork that he needed might have related to his convictions, sentencings, and criminal record since. Those are the things that a financial aid officer would have had to see in order to determine if he was eligible for any type of financial aid at all.

Respectfully, when studying education there is generally an area of education one is studying. for example, early childhood education..... IMO "education" was the first thing that popped into his head and he needed the extra time to come up with a more detailed explanation when asked/pressed for additional information.

I'll be more than willing to eat crow if a convicted felon with drug and weapons charges can gain employment as a teacher or social worker.

Not with the State, probably - but there are a lot of convicted felons who work in private nonprofits - their story is compelling because they're turned their lives around so dramatically.

Programs to turn around young people headed for a life of crime, or a life on the streets, that kind of thing.

I don't see any crimes related to children on his record, or any violent crimes, I don't think.

I wonder if the college uses the FAFSA...a lot of schools do now, it's the only program that many will use to determine financial aid. You cannot apply for loans through FAFSA with any drug possession or felony charge.

He could get private loans, but that would require him to have a decent credit score, and that doesn't happen when you're poor, usually.

One of the only ways to beat this is to provide a certain number or a certain time period worth of clean drug screens and no further problems with the law.

I went and checked my paperwork.

Scholarships maybe? I know there are scholarships for every kind of thing - B students who are going in to business, students from a particular high school, etc. I would bet there are probably scholarships for people who have been offenders before and want to better their lives.

Was the child actually seen on surveillance at the school with the dad?

Scholarships maybe? I know there are scholarships for every kind of thing - B students who are going in to business, students from a particular high school, etc. I would bet there are probably scholarships for people who have been offenders before and want to better their lives.

But many of them are federally sponsored, and federal money goes away with a drug conviction. Other felonies, you can get scholarships, not with drug felonies. America's war on drugs and all.

If they didn't use the FAFSA, he might have been able to apply for more, but if the college does use FAFSA, he would have been told right off the bat that there was nothing available to him.

I'm sure that Wayne would use FAFSA,every other local college here does. I 'm familiar with the process as I was a FAFSA college student for a time years back.

I'm sure that Wayne would use FASFA,every other local college here does. I 'm familiar with the process as I was a FASFA college student for a time years back.

And not offer private scholarships too?

You can get federal aid, and you can additionally apply for scholarships from various businesses or charities or private individuals, or PTA, etc. here.

Secondary teachers generally major/minor in specific subject areas, i.e. English, History, Foreign Language, Biology, etc. Most elementary teachers focus on a particular age/grade level, i.e. Early Childhood, Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary with group majors/minors that might include Science/Social Studies, Reading/Language Arts, Music, Art, Physical Education, etc. I was certified to teach all subjects in Grades 7 and 8, English/Language Arts/Journalism Grades 9-12.

Secondary teachers generally major/minor in specific subject areas, i.e. English, History, Foreign Language, Biology, etc. Most elementary teachers focus on a particular age/grade level, i.e. Early Childhood, Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary with group majors/minors that might include Science/Social Studies, Reading/Language Arts, Music, Art, Physical Education, etc. I was certified to teach all subjects in Grades 7 and 8, English/Language Arts/Journalism Grades 9-12.

He seems less focused at this point than that - he's not even sure whether to head toward teaching or social work, so I don't see that he's got a narrow focus yet.

And not offer private scholarships too?

You can get federal aid, and you can additionally apply for scholarships from various businesses or charities or private individuals, or PTA, etc. here.

Oh I'm sure they use scholarships also. Criminal Rehabilitation programs are proby also available. We are talking the City of Detroit here where crime stats are high. With the college being downtown I'm sure there are options available for people with past criminal history.

At this point with the convictions I'm not sure he would have had FAFSA assistance at all, just speculating on what how he was planning on paying for school with all these dependants and baby mamas & without a job as I have not heard of him being employed.

Oh I'm sure they use scholarships also. Criminal Rehabilitation programs are proby also available. We are talking the City of Detroit here where crime stats are high. With the college being downtown I'm sure there are options available for people with past criminal history.

At this point with the convictions I'm not sure he would have had FAFSA assistance at all just speculating on what how he was planning on paying for school with all these dependants and baby mamas without a job as I have not heard of him being employed.

There are several campuses of WCCC: http://www.wcccd.edu/about/maps_and_directions.htm

What kind of financial aid would a convicted felon receive for college?
I have a daughter in college and I know drug convictions and/or felonies would definitely affect her financial aid from the government. She has to fill out her FAFSA every year and those questions are asked.

Probably the same as your daughter except he claims 7 kids & that he has a felony & gets an even better rate . . . especially in urban area community colleges

There are several campuses of WCCC.

I am aware of that as there are several colleges here with alternate campus locations. Being DL lives in the city, and being he was near the River Front, I am assuming he was planning on attending the Down Town campus.

I don't believe this. Who would bring a 2 yr old with them if they had to sit down and go over paperwork? Also, why couldn't he check his financial aid status online?

With all due respect, that is not the unbelievable part of this story. :crazy: But I wish it was. Maybe I'm super-sensitive to this because I don't have or want children, but parents drag their kids to all kinds of places that are ridiculously inappropriate and act surprised that they, omg, act like children!

Don't mean to be rude or offensive to anyone. I believe that if you are a parent and you're here advocating for children, you're not the kind of "parent" that I'm complaining about.

I am aware of that as there are several colleges here with alternate campus locations. Being DL lives in the city, and being he was near the River Front, I am assuming he was planning on attending the Down Town campus.

It may depend upon what classes are offered at which locations (based on my experience in a CC and other higher-Ed places). Does that help?

Earlier you mentioned Criminal Rehabilitation programs...Do you know if they are purely financial, or what kind of requirements there might be to receive the aid? I checked the Financial options link on the page Cubby linked above.

With all due respect, that is not the unbelievable part of this story. :crazy: But I wish it was. Maybe I'm super-sensitive to this because I don't have or want children, but parents drag their kids to all kinds of places that are ridiculously inappropriate and act surprised that they, omg, act like children!

Don't mean to be rude or offensive to anyone. I believe that if you are a parent and you're here advocating for children, you're not the kind of "parent" that I'm complaining about.

IMO it is unbelievable, simply because he had alternative child care available when he was supposed to be making this trip to the community college. It would have made more sense for him to leave Bianca at home with his girlfriend and her half sister while driving the 15 yr old to school and making the stop at the community college and THEN stopping back to pick up Bianca and go to her moms.

Respectfully, as a never married single parent, I'll refrain from replying about childrens behavior made by those who have not parented and are not walking in the shoes of a parent.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member