Stupid Question...buying "as-is"

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying this item for my daughter that uses one in speech therapy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Bell-Ho...yZ102955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He had this listed last week and it didn't say AS-IS. The listing did say he didn't have the cards that go through it (key to making this work!) so he couldn't test it. I emailed him asking if he would give a refund if the unit didn't work with cards when I got it. No response.

He removed the original listing and reposted it (new#) as AS IS. I'm sorry but I think paying almost $50 for something that might not work is ridiculous.

These are hard to come by and there is another one listed that works but it's $95. :( for me.

I don't think this guys' feedback is that good anyway, but I wondered what you professionals thought! I'm assuming AS IS means exactly that, right? Plus he didn't even bother replying to my email. :rolleyes:

If it does work though, it's a great deal.....

I'm looking forward to your advice! :blowkiss:

Hello Taximom,

A great bargain if it works but since he hasn't been able to test the machine it's quite a gamble.

I'd also be very concerned that he didn't reply to your email so think you should report that to ebay.

If you buy it and it doesn't work that's quite a loss but then you might have to pay more to get it working so the more expensive listing that's stated as a working model might be a much better buy & less expensive in the long run.

blaize

[snipped]
He had this listed last week and it didn't say AS-IS. The listing did say he didn't have the cards that go through it (key to making this work!) so he couldn't test it. I emailed him asking if he would give a refund if the unit didn't work with cards when I got it. No response.

He removed the original listing and reposted it (new#) as AS IS. I'm sorry but I think paying almost $50 for something that might not work is ridiculous.

Blaize, I'm thinking just like you, but when it's such a bargain my brain doesn't want to think that way! lol I know I'll be sorry if it doesn't work.

I didn't know you could report an ebayer for not replying to an email question (done through ebay). He's pretty nasty from the feedback remarks I've seen.

I guess I've answered my own question. I just wanted to make sure "AS IS" meant what I thought. Gee, I have a lot of things I could sell from my home AS IS.

NO WAY - DON'T BUY IT - did you check this guys feedback? He has had 19 negatives in the last year!! I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole!!!

Nope. Between the "As-is", the non-reply, and for me the biggest is the negative feedback. I wouldn't do it.

Even if he refunded your money, you'd still be out the shipping cost. An extra $45 dollars for one that works is looking like the better deal, IMO. Though, you could always wait and hope for a better deal down the road, maybe a "Buy it now" listing.

OK....I won't buy it. **sigh**

What is it about "buy it now" that makes you want to BUY IT NOW? :D

OK....I won't buy it. **sigh**

What is it about "buy it now" that makes you want to BUY IT NOW? :D

Kinda the same thing when they ask you "will that be CASH OR CHARGE"?

NO WAY - DON'T BUY IT - did you check this guys feedback? He has had 19 negatives in the last year!! I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole!!!
I agree. There is no way that I would purchased anything from this guy.

no "as is" on something electronic. most likely it doesn't work.

I'd give this one the skip if I were you. He didn't reply to your email and he has it listed "As-Is" now. By listing it as-is, he's clearing himself of any responsibility should it now work when you get it. I don't think you'd be able to get a refund if it's broken.

I'd take Beyond Belief's advice and say no thank you to any electronics item listed as-is. You'll most likely just lose your money.

I hope you find one your daughter can use soon! Have you looked at freecycle? It's amazing what you can get there for free if you're willing to pick it up.

I haven't even logged in to ebay just to make sure I won't be tempted! lol Yeah, this guy sounded like a jerk. Even some of his positives were negative, if that makes sense!

Eire, I've tried Freecycle, but I just wasn't quick enough. I was always like email #2 or 3. :( I even had rotten luck giving real nice stuff away. People wouldn't come when they'd say. I don't have time to wait around for that!

I might try it again as it's been about 2yrs. Maybe things have changed. Thanks for the reminder!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back