San Diego Demands Permit for Home Bible Study

STEADFAST

Reaction score
David Jones and his wife, Mary, who hold Bible study in their Bonita home every Tuesday, have landed in the national media spotlight after San Diego County asked them to obtain a permit for the gatherings.
On April 10, a county code enforcement officer visited the Jones' home after a complaint from somebody about the meetings.
The officer told Mary Jones that if the couple don't immediately stop holding “religious assemblies”, they could face escalating fines of $100, $200, $500, and $1,000, according to the Joneses' attorney.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/may/29/bn29bible113711/?metro&zIndex=107612

Well, good grief. What a travesty! I don't believe in God, but I do believe in the Constitution. This has got to be a violation of these people's rights.

Well, good grief. What a travesty! I don't believe in God, but I do believe in the Constitution. This has got to be a violation of these people's rights.

I'm in the non-believer boat, too... I totally agree with your posting. I truly believe in the constitutional right to freedom of religion... to keep my right to not believe, I will gladly fight against those that try to encroach on a person's right to practice their beliefs. Seriously, what is a weekly bible study hurting?

I am believer so I hope that this is not really about religion. I suspect it is more about crotchety old neighbors who are tired of cars parked in front of their house at the same time every week. I suspect these same neighbors would have complained even if it was a tupperware party every week. They would have just found a different statute to use as ammunition. Of course I really have no way of knowing this, but I have run into a few crotchety old neighbors that spend hours obsessing over the way they think things in the neighborhood should be.

So I wonder what the real problem is here? Parking? Cars coming up and down the street?

This is ridiculous. It is a violation of the couple's right to practice their religion. Utter nonsense.

The day that someone tells me that I have to have a permit to have anyone visit me for any reason is the day that all Hell will break loose. I'd feel sorry for the person that they'd send to tell me that. LOL

I'd like to know how many people are visiting. If they're having a full house every time they have a meeting, that could mean cars all over the street and would IMO be a nuisance. Maybe some of the visitors could start carpooling to the meetings or take turns holding the gatherings at their homes as well, not just at this house.

I'd like to know how many people are visiting. If they're having a full house every time they have a meeting, that could mean cars all over the street and would IMO be a nuisance. Maybe some of the visitors could start carpooling to the meetings or take turns holding the gatherings at their homes as well, not just at this house.

Buzzie, the article in the OP said 15 ppl to the most of 27 ppl at one time. So that's what I figured it was...the cars coming and going, and the parking.

But if that's it, call it what it is~ JMHO

I don't understand how requiring a permit decreases the annoyance caused by the traffic for the neighbors. :confused: Does the cost of the permit go to the neighbors' vacation fund or something?

I wonder if they are operating more like a church? I don't think it is unreasonable to review this situation at all. We don't have enough infoo at this point imo.

I don't understand how requiring a permit decreases the annoyance caused by the traffic for the neighbors. :confused: Does the cost of the permit go to the neighbors' vacation fund or something?

I guess the neighbors hope they'll back down and quit doing it rather than have to apply for a permit?

15 to 27 people - I missed that. Guess I should read the article before commenting - duh. :crazy: I think that could definitely be a nuisance. Why can't they take turns hosting?

He is the pastor - can't they use the church buildings?

We just got a conditional use permit for a local small church. There are requirements that must be upheld like hours , adequte parking, fire regulations etc. They may not meet the conditions of a religious gathering permit or only be able to host so many people in a home study group. heck, i have to get a home business permit to have a home office. Part of it is the cities just wanting more of our money, but if this is to circumvent the rules it can be a problem and should be at least looked at.

I would not like up to 27 people meeting on my residential street on a regualr basis at all.

No permit needed
County won't force permit on Bible study leaders
Sweeping issues of religious freedom and governmental regulation are swirling around Pastor David Jones' house in rural Bonita, attracting attention from as far away as China and New Zealand.

He says it all started with $220 in car damage.

Jones and his wife, Mary, hold a weekly Bible study at their home that sometimes attracts more than 20 people, with occasional parking issues. Once, a car belonging to a neighbor's visitor got dinged.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...ble00100-county-wont-force-permit-bible-stud/

I want to know what the statute says about religious assembly in that county and I also want to know what the county-land use regulations says that was used to cite these ppl. Then I can form an opinion. This could be interesting.

I want to know what the statute says about religious assembly in that county and I also want to know what the county-land use regulations says that was used to cite these ppl. Then I can form an opinion. This could be interesting.

No permit needed
Sweeping issues of religious freedom and governmental regulation are swirling around Pastor David Jones' house in rural Bonita, attracting attention from as far away as China and New Zealand.

Jones and his wife, Mary, hold a weekly Bible study at their home that sometimes attracts more than 20 people, with occasional parking issues. Once, a car belonging to a neighbor's visitor got dinged.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...ble00100-county-wont-force-permit-bible-stud/
There you go.

No permit needed

Yup I figured this was going to be like an onion~ peel each layer back...

I'm on the side of the complaining neighbors. It's horribly selfish of anyone in a single family residential neighborhood to have that many people regularly parking around a home. I can see it now. The lazy and self righteous parking as close as they can to their Bible study instead of down the street so they won't have as far to walk. Some probably even park way too close to the neighbor's driveway and take up their parking spots. That must be how their visitor got the car dinged. The city are cowards for backing down. This isn't about religion, it's about the freedom to live in your own home and be able to park in your single family neighborhood. A church, or meeting is like having a business there. All of those influencing the city should have to put up with horrible neighbors parking all over the place and having their life made extremely stressful. I don't see what China knows about parking and neighbor problems in the U.S. They need to mind their own business.

This is a quote included in the link that JBean provided above...

In an interview yesterday, the pastor said at most, there are six additional cars on Bible study day. Jones, pastor of South Bay Community Church in National City, said he has visitors park in a lot that he owns beside his house.

It seems that all of his visitors parked on his property.

I'm sorry, but I agree. If I had neighbors who weekly had 15-27 people over constantly, I'd be complaining up a storm!!! Noise levels may be a problem after or before the meetings.

I agree with the neighbors. I'd be annoyed as heck with that sort of traffic/parking in my neighborhood every single week.

SHAME on the city for backing down because it's a "bible study" meeting. Please. They would kick out a "sex study" meeting any day!!!! =(

A church I attended started off as a home church. A few families would meet and have church services, then eat a pot luck lunch together. It was a wonderful experience, you have a chance to get to know others very, very well.

However, my city took the pastor to court------not to require a permit, but to FORBID her from holding church services-------and the city won.

It staggered us, because we all thought the constitution and law were on our side, but apparently not.

Interesting.

I wonder if the city would even dared to go forward with this if the religion was Islam...

Christians are the last (well and rednecks) group that people seem to think is alright to treat unfairly. Hands off, when it comes to Muslims, because I really believe we are so afraid we'll be seen as racists.

I am not a church goer, never have been since Grandma took me when I was young. I do believe, however, that what we are seeing is a slow and deliberate indoctrination to believe it's OK to discriminate against Christians.

There is a right to peaceably assemble. How are these municipalities getting around that?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back