Identified! UK - David Lytton, South Pennines, 'Neil Dovestone', 65-75, Dec'15

It seems the police are looking seriously at a possible connection with the Douglas Dakota crash in 1949.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...age-scene-1949-plane-crash-killed-family.html

[h=1][/h]

Deeply moving if this event is connected to the mystery man,imo. ( as previously suggested by poster Al Kal!)
IS MYSTERY MAN LINKED TO VICTIMS OF 1949 CRASH THAT KILLED 24?

The crash in 1949 left 24 people dead after the plane from Belfast struck a mist-covered hill in Saddleworth, some 15 miles away from its intended destination of Manchester Ringway Airport.

A doctor at the scene said that he saw ‘bodies scattered all over the place’ and there were 'a few survivors lying groaning on the hillside but some of them died before I could attend to them’.

A report later found the crash was caused by ‘an error in navigation, incorrect approach procedure and failure to check the position of the aircraft accurately before the descent from a safe height’.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-plane-crash-killed-family.html#ixzz3yMykbwEa
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

304C265200000578-0-image-m-23_1453795264600.jpg

The air crash was in August 1949, so no apparent anniversary involved in December 66 years later.

Similarly, while December 2015 was the 50th anniversary of the Saddleworth-connected Moors Murders' last victim's death, he was in fact killed, and later found, in a residence in Hattersley, Cheshire, in October 1965, and not on the moor.

Why did the unidentified man carry so much money as well as several travel tickets, did he become confused due to medications he may have, or should have taken?
Could the uid man have gone to that location to release cremated remains , perhaps those of someone who did have a connection to the area, a wife??
It might explain why he knew to go there, but not familiar with how to do it and maybe had extra money because he intended to return?
speculation, imo.

Why did the unidentified man carry so much money as well as several travel tickets, did he become confused due to medications he may have, or should have taken?
Could the uid man have gone to that location to release cremated remains , perhaps those of someone who did have a connection to the area, a wife??
It might explain why he knew to go there, but not familiar with how to do it and maybe had extra money because he intended to return?
speculation, imo.

He may well have been carrying enough cash for all his needs for the journey, so that he did not have to carry a debit card which would have identified him.

It's possible that he bought a return train ticket even if he only intended to travel one way because at certain times it's cheaper to buy a return than a single. Though why he should worry about that if he was planning to die I have no idea.

As to medication: Levothyroxine is prescribed to correct a shortfall in the level of hormones which are produced by the thyroid. The intention is to ensure that the hormone level is brought into line with a normal range. However it takes a while (weeks to months) for the medication to raise thyroid hormone levels to a typical normal one, and a similar period of time for the effects to wear off. So he couldn't just become confused because he hadn't taken his dose that day (though a reversible type of dementia is one of the effects of inadequate thyroid hormones). In fact, he didn't need to carry the tablets with him at all if he was planning a one way trip to die.

I've not seen any mention of a cremains urn being found in the area, nor of traces of cremains being found on him. That hillside would have been at least breezy if not windy so if cremains had been scattered some would almost certainly have blown back onto his clothes.

What an unusual case! And odd that no one has identified him- surely this is a big story over there, right?

What a beautiful picture Al Ka posted upthread.

Im fairly sure I read that he had only bought a single ticket. As to an urn, Im presuming the cctv pictures released were taken at the ticket counter at Ealing station, he doent appear to have any bag etc on him, unless of course he picked something up in Manchester

What an unusual case! And odd that no one has identified him- surely this is a big story over there, right?

Hmm Im not so sure, I hadnt noticed anything in the papers or on the news about this until a few days ago. Although Im 200 miles away in Scotland

http://saddind.co.uk/18580-2/

POLICE INVESTIGATING the identity of ‘Chew Track man’ are going global in their search for answers.

DNA samples from the mystery pensioner who was found dead in Greenfield on the path leading to Chew Reservoir on December 12 have been sent to Interpol-International Crime Police Organisation.

The case details have also been sent to producers of the popular BBC Crimewatch programme.

And detectives are also awaiting results of DNA samples taken from a Northern Ireland family after reports the unidentified man could be a grandfather missing for more than two decades.

But the Saddleworth Independent understands this lead is unconnected with latest reports linking the mystery man to a plane crash on Wimberry Moss, above Greenfield in 1949.

A BEA Douglas Dakota en route from Belfast to Manchester crashed into Wimberry Rocks –known locally as ‘Indian’s Head’ – in poor visibility, killing 24 people.

Baffled cops are speculating the smart dressed man could possibly be one of two child survivors: Stephen Evans, who was five at the time, or Michael Prestwich.
Anyone who recognises this man or has any information should phone police on 0161 872 5050 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
rbbm.

As to an urn, Im presuming the cctv pictures released were taken at the ticket counter at Ealing station, he doent appear to have any bag etc on him, unless of course he picked something up in Manchester

I'm not suggesting this was the case; I was simply responding to dotr's speculation in post #25.

Interesting case. From a quick internet search it doesn't look like it is possible (or probable) to accidentally or deliberately overdose on thyroxine sodium. Maybe the vial was used to carry a different kind of medicine that would assist in suicide without relatives/MEs becoming any wiser of his intentions. This would explain the returned ticket too.

Any chance this somewhat unusual story might coincide with this one?
Wondering if the climb up the hill was less about the hill and more about the view ?
Speculation, imo. rbbm.

“But here I am, all these years later, a man in my 70s, wondering what became of my 16-year-old brother almost 70 years ago.”
http://www.thejournal.ie/missing-person-since-1947-2545478-Jan2016/
pastedimage-36346-310x415.png
Jimmy O'Neill was aged 12 or 13 in this photograph was taken during his altar-serving days at the Dominican Church on Bridge Street, Waterford city.
THE BROTHER OF a Waterford boy who went missing in December 1947, aged 16, has not given up hope that Ireland’s longest missing persons case could yet be solved.

Frank ‘Frankie’ O’Neill, who has lived at his Leamy Street home in the city his entire life, spoke movingly of his decades-long search for information about his elder brother Jimmy, who was working for the Clyde Shipping Company at the time of his disappearance.

Frank was aged just four when went missing Jimmy, born on Morgan Street in 1931, on 15 December 1947
rbbm

Any chance this somewhat unusual story might coincide with this one?
Wondering if the climb up the hill was less about the hill and more about the view ?
Speculation, imo. rbbm.

“But here I am, all these years later, a man in my 70s, wondering what became of my 16-year-old brother almost 70 years ago.”
View attachment 88047
Jimmy O'Neill was aged 12 or 13 in this photograph was taken during his altar-serving days at the Dominican Church on Bridge Street, Waterford city.
.[/B]
rbbm

Interesting combined with your post #31 re DNA sample testing.

They do look similar IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has been in some of the national newspapers (online) so I'm sure somebody will have suggested a name for him by now. Hopefully it's been featured in local news for London and Manchester.

I guess he had good reason to go up there and is linked to either the Moors Murders or the plane crash. But it could have just been an area he and his wife/sweetheart liked walking back in the day, or some other sentimental reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back