Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case has intrigued me since I first read about it in our local news. Sumter is not far from where I live and that added to my intrigue. I have spent many work hours and my personal time researching and thinking about this case. I took a lot of the same paths as some of the people on websleuths. Then I found that site – what a wealth of information!

This idea of mine was one I’ve shared with a couple of friends who in general assume I’m off my rocker, and don’t understand why I even care about something that happened in 1976. But look at James Norris and John Doe. Everything is not perfect – and I want someone to point out why it isn’t the same person, so I can move on to another theory. But first look at all the photos I have gathered from both people. Look at the chin line. Look at the ear lobes – they’re attached. Look at the full lips, the shape of the nose, the hair line and sideburns. The skin tone. The bushy eyebrows. And the height and age. Also the drug connection. Also the Florida connection. Plus the way the victims were killed. Then there’s the appearance of wealth, but needing to pawn a ring???

Okay, tell me what you think.
James Norris’ case number is 886DMFL on the Doe Network.

The comparison photos are on myspace at this address (look under my photos) http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=124692342

... Okay, tell me what you think.
James Norris’ case number is 886DMFL on the Doe Network....

James Berkeley Norris II
Missing since October 4, 1974 from Miami or Inglis, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 19, 1949
Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0", 165 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic/White male. Dark brown, collar length hair; hazel eyes. He has broad shoulders, is muscular and lean.
Marks, Scars: Small scar in the middle of his upper lip, directly under the nose.
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints/DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Norris disappeared on a trip to Florida in 1974 under suspicious circumstances. He left his home in San Francisco on October 3rd, 1974 with $12,000 cash and a plan to purchase Columbian marijuana from one of several contacts in Florida. He arrived at Miami International Airport early the morning of the 4th.

His family received a postcard (depicting a minor attraction in Winter Park, Florida) postmarked October 4th, 1974 in Inglis, Florida. Inglis is about 6-1/2 hours northwest of Miami on the Gulf of Mexico in Levy County, Florida. His family never heard from him again and the individuals he was meeting in Florida denied having had any contact with him once he arrived in Miami.

He was not carrying any identification and he used the name "Richard Gunning" on the flight from San Francisco to Miami.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Fairfield Police Department (CA)
Detective Mel Ferro
707-428-7300
Agency Case Number: 03-3202
NCIC Number: M-163048935

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The Doe Network: Case File 886DMFL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/886dmfl.html

----------------------------------
For comparison purposes, here is an updated link to The Doe Network: Case File 198UMSC

LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/198umsc.html

Unfortunately Mr. Norris was ruled out by Verna Moore, the coroner in Sumter County, SC.

FYI: The missing peices show is scheduled for December 11th. I'll post more when I hear more details! No new info on the DNA... yet

Happy Holidays everyone!

Okay guys - I've been playing with the photos of Jane Doe. Take a look and see what you think. I also made a page for her at
http://myspace.com/sumterjanedoe

I've made friends with phenolred and it's been wonderful to have someone equally obsessed to bounce ideas off.

John Doe's photo is next on my list to work with. We'll see.

Any feedback is welcome!
janeFC.jpg

trimmedJane.jpg

Da*n, she looks so young in the b&w pic. Good work on that. I think it actually looks more realistic than the morgue photo.

Sapphire is also no benign stone, it's a full-blown precious gem, a blue diamond worth as much as emerald. Decidedly, Doe was not your typical hitchhiker.
A sapphire is not a blue diamond....also John Doe had a blue star sapphire which is different than a blue sapphire. Those rings were popular back then and not expensive. I used to have one myself.

Thank you!!
I agree! After finishing her face I was so excited I couldn't quit staring at her. She looks so different. She looks a bit rough though. I haven't had time yet to finish John. His face is distorted due to settling after death, and what time I have spent working on him has not produced anything I'm happy with yet.

I finished these this weekend. Tell me what you think. I'm wondering if I'm close or way off on these. I've studied these people's faces so long that I could identify small features without referring back to the original photos!

Okay - here goes.....
johndoefaceE.jpg
johndoefaceEyesE.jpg
johndoefacemustchE.jpg
johndoefaceMBhairE.jpg

They aren't perfect - but what do you think?

Those are amazing!

Great idea to add facial hair and to sweep the bangs forward. Do you think it would make a difference to lighten the undereye circles? I wonder if they were as prominent on him when he was alive.

Has Ms. Moore seen these? They both look so remarkable with those lifelike features added in!

Those are very good, shadetree..I wish I could do stuff like that. I agree it was a great idea to add the facial hair and bangs. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Thank you for your feedback!

I have not talked to Ms. Moore but I'd love to. She is only the next county over from where I live - which is how I got involved to start with. I saw the local news coverage on this last year. Does anyone know how to contact Ms. Moore? I'd be very interested in her feedback.

Hi all,

Update on the DNA:

It is still not back yet. In fact, the lab in Texas tells Verna as of last week, that they have not even STARTED working on it yet. :banghead:

It keeps getting pushed to the back of the line for more high-priority cases.

Verna is frustrated.

(Can't say I blame her, either)

It's been a while but... Did that DNA ever get tested?

I was also thinking, in reference to JD's father being a doctor - he could have been a medical doctor, dentist, psychologist etc, or maybe just a PHD? Does anyone know if Canada has some kind of nationwide medical journal? If so, and if JD's dad is still alive, do you think it would be possible for the journal to run an article/pictures of the UIDs in case anyone recognises them - even someone who may have treated one of them?

It's been a while but... Did that DNA ever get tested?

I was also thinking, in reference to JD's father being a doctor - he could have been a medical doctor, dentist, psychologist etc, or maybe just a PHD? Does anyone know if Canada has some kind of nationwide medical journal? If so, and if JD's dad is still alive, do you think it would be possible for the journal to run an article/pictures of the UIDs in case anyone recognises them - even someone who may have treated one of them?

Hi, Welcome to WS

All discussion for this case has been moved to the thread below. It is in the Missing/Unidentified Section of WS and no longer in the Cold Cases. There you can find all of the threads on this case as well as Stats, photos, newspaper articles, etc. Thanks for your interest.

Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member