Oscar Pistorius - Sentencing - 6.13.2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
MrJitty - me again! So, since it is almost a month away until sentencing this means the interview will air before then. I know that the judge will not take that into consideration, but do you reckon she will watch it?

Also, since the interview seems to have been a BIG miscalculation on the Pistorius side, do you think they would have assumed that sentencing would be completed by then?

Who knows - this is pretty crazy territory!

I would have said it is a huge contempt of Court to do this.

I can't imagine any High Court Judge who would be happy about it - indeed I know some who would hit the roof

The Citizen News ‏@TheCitizen_News 15h15 hours ago

Judge Masipa rules that 5 photos of #ReevaSteenkamp injuries may be published. Will sentence #OscarPistorius on 6 July. #ID

That should be 6 photos, 135-140.

Brought this over from the thread that just closed.

Carl Pistorius ‏@carlpistorius 1h1 hour ago

This application is distasteful to all parties. Except perhaps some parties who stand to profit from such.

I'm on catch up now.

Carl Pistorius actually tweeted that from inside the court room to the world. I am so sickened by this family. Arnold knows full well that the brother is constantly tweeting to the public and then later states that the family so rarely talk to the media ( The TV interview was them replying to "one media offer." )

Who stands to profit? - the press I assume he means the media , but there is an ambiguity in his phrase as if the family stand to gain somehow ( CP is so dumb, careless wording. )

Yet Oscar parading around on his stumps as a "victim" wasn't "distasteful"?
Oscar giving exclusive TV interviews isn't "distasteful"?
Oscar dragging his sister around a bathroom in a video then released to Aus press wasn't "distasteful"?
etc etc
This family make me quite weary.

Anyone who sees those photos will be shocked. As Nel said, they're not from Saayman (post mortem) which means they're crime scene pics and will be graphic and no doubt close-up. Roux will now have a client who is hated more than ever.

no idea what the thought process could possibly be behind that itv interview. just seems to be a massive contradiction of the defence stance.

op not fit to take the stand; loses focus; forgets to wake up in time, etc etc... will be interesting to see how he comes across in the interview

Mr Jitty . very interesting that you do think this would be contempt of court as Arnold must have known she was unlikey to have sentenced by 24th June, given the normal pace of sentencing.

Do you think it was an attempt to influence her then? ( I had thought it was just another PR strategy, for public consumption.)

Also am very interested in point you put in previous thread in response to another poster, particularly BIB :
I know it's dull but this is usually how the law works

What are the principles? How are they applied? What did Courts do in the past?

Roux avoids all of that to focus on drama because he has a **** case.

My guess is that he is asking for the moon so when OP gets 10 it will seem like Masipa is being tough when in fact she is being soft.

You mean Roux of course. So it really is a game of poker acting and R is just trying to get a better deal than 5? Roux doesn't think he has a chance of 5 years etc and so it's all a sop?

If you're all out of energy for answering, I totally u'stand. Long day.

Unrelated:

Longer day for Nel. Someone give that man a double whisky and a Turkish bath !!!

Peace & comfort for poor Barry & June

I'm on catch up now.

Carl Pistorius actually tweeted that from inside the court room to the world. I am so sickened by this family. Arnold knows full well that the brother is constantly tweeting to the public and then later states that the family so rarely talk to the media ( The TV interview was them replying to "one media offer." )

Who stands to profit? - the press I assume he means the media , but there is an ambiguity in his phrase as if the family stand to gain somehow ( CP is so dumb, careless wording. )

Yet Oscar parading around on his stumps as a "victim" wasn't "distasteful"?
Oscar giving exclusive TV interviews isn't "distasteful"?
Oscar dragging his sister around a bathroom in a video then released to Aus press wasn't "distasteful"?
etc etc
This family make me quite weary.

Distasteful hardly describes what I think of the entire family, and Roux. Oscar walking around on his stumps in front of Masipa for sympathy was the sickest thing I've seen, all done in front of Barry and June. He made it look as if he could hardly walk at all ... but we've seen the video. I just can't get over that Roux told him to do this in court. Sickening beyond belief. Well, when those pics eventually come out, the world will really know what he did to Reeva, not that the Pistorians and those that say they aren't, but we know they are, will care. To them OP is and always will be the victim.

Who knows - this is pretty crazy territory!

I would have said it is a huge contempt of Court to do this.

I can't imagine any High Court Judge who would be happy about it - indeed I know some who would hit the roof

Hypothetical question, Mr J. In terms of procedure, let's say they air the programme and he's clearly unrepentant and denying he murdered her and Masina's sentence is subsequently appealed by the State for being too lenient, can the State use the programme as evidence of aggravating circumstances in any appeal to illustrate his lack of remorse?

no idea what the thought process could possibly be behind that itv interview. just seems to be a massive contradiction of the defence stance.

op not fit to take the stand; loses focus; forgets to wake up in time, etc etc... will be interesting to see how he comes across in the interview

We'll end up smashing our TVs/screens sleuth. It will be all so predictable in the whinging & whining- that part is certain.
As for intention etc. , there are certain crafty things he will say, as he is free & without challenge.

Distasteful hardly describes what I think of the entire family, and Roux. Oscar walking around on his stumps in front of Masipa for sympathy was the sickest thing I've seen, all done in front of Barry and June. He made it look as if he could hardly walk at all ... but we've seen the video. I just can't get over that Roux told him to do this in court. Sickening beyond belief. Well, when those pics eventually come out, the world will really know what he did to Reeva, not that the Pistorians and those that say they aren't, but we know they are, will care. To them OP is and always will be the victim.

Also worth mentioning that last time he walked on his stumps in court he asked not to be filmed. What was different this time?

Showboating. Same as the stupid photos where he's cuddling up to children.

He's so bloody transparent, it's ridiculous.

Mr Jitty . very interesting that you do think this would be contempt of court as Arnold must have known she was unlikey to have sentenced by 24th June, given the normal pace of sentencing.

Do you think it was an attempt to influence her then? ( I had thought it was just another PR strategy, for public consumption.)

Also am very interested in point you put in previous thread in response to another poster, particularly BIB :

You mean Roux of course. So it really is a game of poker acting and R is just trying to get a better deal than 5? Roux doesn't think he has a chance of 5 years etc and so it's all a sop?

If you're all out of energy for answering, I totally u'stand. Long day.

Unrelated:

Longer day for Nel. Someone give that man a double whisky and a Turkish bath !!!

Peace & comfort for poor Barry & June

Of course its hard to legislate for Masipa Law

But in my opinion what Roux was asking for has no chance. (at least in a credible Court)

So if the Judge splits the difference and gives him 10, this is a great result for the defence as with 1 served he could be out in 4

But it might feel like a heavy sentence compared to what the defence asked for.

So I kind of wondered if there was a aspect to Roux's game of providing cover to the Judge for what would be a soft sentence.

She can rip into Roux's submissions and then say No Sir! I give him 10 years hard time!

Hey guys. Have just got back home and seen that sentence is due in 3 weeks. Can someone link me to a video of the day's recordings if you have a link handy? Is it worth watching?

https://twitter.com/mwilliamsthomas/with_replies

The ITV interviewer who conducted the 24th's broadcast, who believes Oscar, but keeps getting the law & the case evidence wrong.

MWT believes the McCanns are innocent as well.

All those guys are self publicists.

They say whatever it takes to get on Television

It's the same as the shameful TV interviews with Amanda Knox on ABC

Unless you agree to all the rules of the PR company, you are never getting the gig.

So the idea that this is "investigative" is laughable

It is paid for PR.

Of course the defence is never going to allow access to Oscar for any programme that might imply he is guilty

Well I think we can all agree...8 years with the first period in hospital to fix his noggin.

The Citizen News ‏@TheCitizen_News 15h15 hours ago

Judge Masipa rules that 5 photos of #ReevaSteenkamp injuries may be published. Will sentence #OscarPistorius on 6 July. #ID

Been following in the news and some reading here.

All JMO
First off I thought this was going to be like a 1 day re-sentencing and was very disappointed to see defense and prosecution having to give what is in effect closing arguments all over again it seems.

Secondly why do I have a horrible feeling that the judge is going to give us more of the same and come up with some crazy sentence that doesnt justify the crime committed. Some of her basis for the last sentence I clearly remember her using invalid arguments such as saying she didnt believe the testimony of his ex girlfriend that told how he shot a gun carelessly out the sunroof of a car or something like that. She also didn't believe some of the other prosecution arguments for invalid reasons. She made them sound convincing but when you read through the lines she was basically favoring the defense.
And she believed some of the defense arguments that I would have thrown out.

So I have lost faith with this judge and am very disappointed she even gets to sit during this resentencing. I have suspicions that due to her similar disability that she favors the defendant and it would not surprise me if money exchanged hands at some point during the last trial.

So I will wait like the rest of us but I sure am not going to get my hopes up that justice will be served this time around. I think she wants the long delay to create a very lengthy argument that does nothing but confuse people with why she is giving him such a low sentence.
She creates it with multiple pages and many words so that she can hide that she is giving him a pass and making it sound like it is legitimate.

Thanks everyone for the great posts and overview of what has been going on. It is appreciated.

I agree.
The original hearing - they read Masipa right and knew what would move her , pity etc etc, as we have all said. Pressing her buttons.
But it's too late for that for Masipa. Plus she has seen it before and we have all seen his stumps and the pity factor evaporated when we saw the problematic re-enactment video so him parading in court does not have the same impact. Those buttons don't really work any more and she has been curtailed and brought up sharply.
It's almost as if Roux has lost his touch.

I just watched the upload where R says" He's very embarassed, he didn't want to do this..." OP snivelling. Yeah right, I'm not buying anything either of you are selling.

UL Yes indeed. It's like exploding a persistent but fallacious conspiracy theory. They will be powerful, they are the full stop that is needed. Maybe Barry won't actually look at them - too much for him. I was sad to hear from Kim that Barry is always on his phone, reading about the RS case or related comments .

Also worth mentioning that last time he walked on his stumps in court he asked not to be filmed. What was different this time?

Showboating. Same as the stupid photos where he's cuddling up to children.

He's so bloody transparent, it's ridiculous.

Poor me, pity me, look how little and disabled I am. Don't send me to that nasty place. I'm scared, very scared, terrified.

Hey guys. Have just got back home and seen that sentence is due in 3 weeks. Can someone link me to a video of the day's recordings if you have a link handy? Is it worth watching?

[video=youtube;NSHDcmWM2m4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSHDcmWM2m4[/video]

I'm with you, watching it now.

How does Masipa even allow this?

He was not called as a witness?

Yet then he is produced as physical evidence? She allows her court room to be the backdrop for a farce.

if I was her I would have insisted he be available for X if he is going to parade around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson