student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

This story just plain hurts on every level. I really feel for this kid. If this would have taken place when I was in college, I would never have left my room!! I would have felt so ashamed and abused by it all.

Yeah, really! I couldnt even start to think what Id do - You know he was already overwhelmed with only being a couple weeks into his freshman year at college and we know that living with Ravi couldnt have been fun since hes the type of person that apparently thinks its funny to humilate someone else. He couldnt even stay in his dorm, since doing so would make him even more of a target because Ravi lived there.

Just imagine everyone knowing your business, sexual or otherwise? How horrid for a young person away from home for the first time. His parents must be failing apart. My heart goes out to them. What a complete invasion of privacy. People have taken the internet and taping too far.

Example: I had personal site hacked on the computer I had with my best friend and we use to write everything on it. I felt horrible that people were reading all my personal business, looking at photos, and just knew everything about us on a private level. I was not his age and I was not in school but it still was devastating to have this happen.
Goz

I cant even begin to think how painful that must be, like you said even the most innocent invasions of privacy can be unbearable so what it must feel like to know that people were watching it, even worse knowing that all the students in a new school could see it as well.

I agree Punklove. I am just not sure if they are going to charge them with a hate crime, that is all. I am sure the problem was he was gay. These fools seem the type, (aside from this case) that would get their jollies taping anyone. I bet LE will find more tapes of other students.

Tyler wrote - "People have commented on his profile with things like 'how did you manage to go back in there? are you okay?' and the fact that people he was with saw my making out with a guy as the scandal"

Im really interested in the replies to the comments like the 'how did you manage to go back in there' were - because it implies that going into a room where two gay people were would be digusting.

Speaking of digusting..

I was just looking at a site to get an update and would you believe they have a photo posted of Tyler in his UNDERWEAR? For gods sake the boy killed himself because he was embarrased about a video that people could see so they decide to post a picture of him in his undwear?????? Its very obvious it is a personal photo thats not meant to be seen.

http://www./tyler-clementis-reached...ell-jumping-off-the-gw-bridge-sorry-20100930/

I don't know how the guy who recorded this can live with himself. I'm sure he thought (in his immature little pea-brain) that this would be funny...good for a few laughs. He probably never thought that this poor kid would commit suicide....because kids rarely think about the consequences of their actions. And now the news reports say he is "confused...." About what? How his actions could have caused the death of another human being? When I heard this story on the news, I couldn't help thinking that kids who would do such an immature thing (spying on/recording another human being to poke fun at them) really don't have the maturity to be living away from home on a college campus.

So he continues to have his privacy invaded even in death. What bonehead put this picture up? How could they post that picture? Enough already. Let the man have some peace.

[quote="Gozgals"I agree Punklove. I am just not sure if they are going to charge them with a hate crime, that is all. I am sure the problem was he was gay. These fools seem the type, (aside from this case) that would get their jollies taping anyone. I bet LE will find more tapes of other students.

What is a Hate Crime

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/offreported/02-nhatecrime12.html

Snip

Definition
A hate crime, also known as a bias crime, is a criminal offense committed against a person, property, or society which is motivated, in whole or in part, by the offender's bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin.

Goz[/quote]

Seems to me, hate crime fits perfectly...thanks Goz for the definition...I do hope the authorities go for this charge and make an example out of them...JMHO

One more post! :crazy:

So we know that he talked to the RA and the two people above the RA, sending them a letter of what happened - I wonder if the reason he was so distraught was because Ravi was made aware of the complaint? Tyler seemed upset about Ravi watching him but he seemed ok about going to the RA in hopes of getting everything worked out.. If he was so distraught about the actual video that he was going to kill himself then why would he go through the process of contacting the RA, writing out the entire thing and emailing it to the RA and the people above the RA? Wouldnt he have just killed himself?

I just wonder if Ravi was notified about the complaint and then either told everyone in the dorm that Tyler had told on him - so that now not only would people know that He was gay, that a video of him was having sex was on the net and also that he was a 'snitch'.

It just doesnt make sense that if you were going to kill yourself because of a video online that you would go through the embarrasment of having to detail that info and email it to people.

I believe the letters were written after the first incident of the webcam showing him kissing his boyfriend. Then there was a second video showing the sex itself and that is what drove him over the edge. JMO

So he continues to have his privacy invaded even in death. What bonehead put this picture up? How could they post that picture? Enough already. Let the man have some peace.

Its just.. awful. Id never expect that type of photo in a news article.

Sadly enough he apparently was a member of a private site and had a handful of photos like the one they showed of him in his underwear and someone screen capped them all and are spreading them around saying he asked for it.

I don't know how the guy who recorded this can live with himself. I'm sure he thought (in his immature little pea-brain) that this would be funny...good for a few laughs. He probably never thought that this poor kid would commit suicide....because kids rarely think about the consequences of their actions. And now the news reports say he is "confused...." About what? How his actions could have caused the death of another human being? When I heard this story on the news, I couldn't help thinking that kids who would do such an immature thing (spying on/recording another human being to poke fun at them) really don't have the maturity to be living away from home on a college campus.

For anyone to be able to do something like this with no concern for another humans feelings is a very scary thing to me. His ability to do something that would obviously earth shattering yet feeling nothing for that person could point to a serious personality disorder. Even worse.. Had he had one ounce of remorse for what hes done he certainly wouldnt say he was confused. Saying hes confused only shows that hes only concerned for himself.

Im sure hes going to behave as though hes innocent.

That's just great. He asked for it. Another stellar human being. The world would have been better off keeping Tyler and getting rid of these hose-bags.

One more post! :crazy:

So we know that he talked to the RA and the two people above the RA, sending them a letter of what happened - I wonder if the reason he was so distraught was because Ravi was made aware of the complaint? Tyler seemed upset about Ravi watching him but he seemed ok about going to the RA in hopes of getting everything worked out.. If he was so distraught about the actual video that he was going to kill himself then why would he go through the process of contacting the RA, writing out the entire thing and emailing it to the RA and the people above the RA? Wouldnt he have just killed himself?

I just wonder if Ravi was notified about the complaint and then either told everyone in the dorm that Tyler had told on him - so that now not only would people know that He was gay, that a video of him was having sex was on the net and also that he was a 'snitch'.

It just doesnt make sense that if you were going to kill yourself because of a video online that you would go through the embarrasment of having to detail that info and email it to people.
They were college students, not some criminals with a code of not to tell, so I can't imagine why he would be upset that people believed he was "snitching."

Seems to me, hate crime fits perfectly...thanks Goz for the definition...I do hope the authorities go for this charge and make an example out of them...JMHO

Thankfully in New Jersey it just has to be proven their the persons actions were motivated by Clementi’s sexual orientation so Im pretty confident that Ravi will have more serious charges coming. The girl will more than likely get next to nothing though.

I believe the letters were written after the first incident of the webcam showing him kissing his boyfriend. Then there was a second video showing the sex itself and that is what drove him over the edge. JMO

It appears (assuming that whoever posted on that website is actually him) that he believed after he found out his first encounter was taped, that the angle of the camera prevented that taping of the actual encounter. Maybe he found out otherwise and the camera actually showed what he was doing.

He told the RA on Sept 22 at 4:48 am (according to his post in the forum) after he had searched the room for cameras, unplugged Ravis computer and had sex.

A few minutes before 9:00pm (16 hours later) he updated the facebook, then people saw him jumping off the bridge around 9pm.

Not sure what if it means that he was upset about something else (any teasing, whatever) or if he were upset about the original event. It just doesnt make sense to me he would bother to contact the RA if he was going to jump off a bridge 16 hours later.

Thankfully in New Jersey it just has to be proven their the persons actions were motivated by Clementi’s sexual orientation so Im pretty confident that Ravi will have more serious charges coming. The girl will more than likely get next to nothing though.

I am not sure as to what the girl actually did. The only thing we know roommate went to her room. The camera wasn't hers. I didn't see any twits attributed to her as to what her role was.

He told the RA on Sept 22 at 4:48 am (according to his post in the forum) after he had searched the room for cameras, unplugged Ravis computer and had sex.

A few minutes before 9:00pm (16 hours later) he updated the facebook, then people saw him jumping off the bridge around 9pm.

Not sure what if it means that he was upset about something else (any teasing, whatever) or if he were upset about the original event. It just doesnt make sense to me he would bother to contact the RA if he was going to jump off a bridge 16 hours later.

Maybe he found out his encounter was broadcast whereas earlier he believed his roommate only observed some making out?

They were college students, not some criminals with a code of not to tell, so I can't imagine why he would be upset that people believed he was "snitching."

People are really mean to each other, its quite common that people will gang up on someone if they feel that person is a "tattle tale". Teenage boys are often heartless so I dont doubt that there would have been a lot of making fun of if they found out that he went to the RA. Its sad people act like that but its just how it goes.

I am not sure as to what the girl actually did. The only thing we know roommate went to her room. The camera wasn't hers. I didn't see any twits attributed to her as to what her role was.

She let Ravi watch the streaming video on her computer, Ravi left his (with the camera) in the dorm room then went to her room so he could watch the stream.

People are really mean to each other, its quite common that people will gang up on someone if they feel that person is a "tattle tale". Teenage boys are often heartless so I dont doubt that there would have been a lot of making fun of if they found out that he went to the RA. Its sad people act like that but its just how it goes.

Again, they are in college. So I don't believe the others would be ganging up on a "tattle tale." I expect almost anyone taped without their permission would have complained.

She let Ravi watch the streaming video on her computer, Ravi left his (with the camera) in the dorm room then went to her room so he could watch the stream.

And? If he asked to use her computer, what did she know about it? As of now there have been nothing presented to indicate as to how much she was involved in it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back