student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

Maybe he found out his encounter was broadcast whereas earlier he believed his roommate only observed some making out?

Again, His message in the forum says that he knows what his roomate was up to. :)

"I noticed he had turned the webcam toward my bed. and he had posted online again...saying...'anyone want a free show just video chat me tonight.."

Again, His message in the forum says that he knows what his roomate was up to. :)

"I noticed he had turned the webcam toward my bed. and he had posted online again...saying...'anyone want a free show just video chat me tonight.."

This was about the second supposed encounter, the one he prevented from being taped by turning off the computer. What he writes about the first encounter is that he didn't think the roommate saw much of anything. And he clearly did not know it was broadcast. But he could have found out later it actually was broadcast and showed much more than what he originally believed it did.

For anyone to be able to do something like this with no concern for another humans feelings is a very scary thing to me. His ability to do something that would obviously earth shattering yet feeling nothing for that person could point to a serious personality disorder. Even worse.. Had he had one ounce of remorse for what hes done he certainly wouldnt say he was confused. Saying hes confused only shows that hes only concerned for himself.

Im sure hes going to behave as though hes innocent.

I doubt people like this feel any remorse. They lack any feelings for others. We see this often enough here on the lines with our criminal elements who are devoid of feelings. Who knows what this guy is capable of in the future if he did this type of crime already???

I'm sure he will play innocent in some fashion and then his parents will enable him. That is usually how these things play out. I have not read any of his parents reactions to this, but I could have just not have seen them.

Anyone know if the parents have weighed in yet?

This case has really spoken to me and got the best of me. It is just so sad. The loss of someone so young always touches me.

Goz

Again, they are in college. So I don't believe the others would be ganging up on a "tattle tale." I expect almost anyone taped without their permission would have complained.

I believe their maturity level is still not up to par and they would gang up on him for being a so called "Tattle Tale."

Adults that are even out of college are rather cruel, look at people that bully others and are over the age of college students. Many still get their kicks picking on one person. This even takes place on chat boards.

Goz

Again, they are in college. So I don't believe the others would be ganging up on a "tattle tale." I expect almost anyone taped without their permission would have complained.

If there wasnt a fear of backlash from telling on someone for college students then why does EVERY college in this county have a 'Anonymous Incident Reporting System' in place? Look at any college website and you will see they have such a thing in place to 'ensure the safety' of students.

He told the RA on Sept 22 at 4:48 am (according to his post in the forum) after he had searched the room for cameras, unplugged Ravis computer and had sex.

A few minutes before 9:00pm (16 hours later) he updated the facebook, then people saw him jumping off the bridge around 9pm.

Not sure what if it means that he was upset about something else (any teasing, whatever) or if he were upset about the original event. It just doesnt make sense to me he would bother to contact the RA if he was going to jump off a bridge 16 hours later.

I had it backwards. Sorry. The way they have been writing about it is very unclear. Apparently, the first video that he thought showed only kissing was the sex video. The second was an attempt that he thwarted by unplugging the equipment. Nothing is really saying when he realized the extent of the what the tapes showed and how far they were desseminated.

Don't bicker guys - yes, he could have been teased for being a snitch and yes, it could have been that he didn't realize right away that he was streamed on the net. Both points are valid.

Let's move on here,

Salem

I had it backwards. Sorry. The way they have been writing about it is very unclear. Apparently, the first video that he thought showed only kissing was the sex video. The second was an attempt that he thwarted by unplugging the equipment. Nothing is really saying when he realized the extent of the what the tapes showed and how far they were desseminated.

Right, because the twit he saw after the first encounter doesn't say anything about broadcasting, and it appears he believed that because of camera angle the roommate did not see much. Maybe later he finds out it was a lot worse than he thought, and not only roommate saw the actual encounter it was broadcast?

Haha, its confusing me too. I keep trying to match the time of the posts with the twitter stuff but Im sooo not a math person so I cant figure it out.

Without a doubt it would make more since that he logged on and saw that the video had actually been streaming and thats what he found upsetting enough to kill himself.

And? If he asked to use her computer, what did she know about it? As of now there have been nothing presented to indicate as to how much she was involved in it.

I have no clue why they have charged her - I would think it would be impossible to prove that she knew what was going on, because he could have come over and asked to use her computer, I wonder what they based her charges on?

She let Ravi watch the streaming video on her computer, Ravi left his (with the camera) in the dorm room then went to her room so he could watch the stream.

And why, if Ravi (and Molly) found this behaviour so abhorrent, were they intent on watching as well as broadcasting the stream? What a depressing story -- prurience and immaturity that, years ago, would have peaked at nasty rumour. Now it can be fed round the world, saved and even redistributed, complete with pix and sound. Ugh.

best,

s

And why, if Ravi (and Molly) found this behaviour so abhorrent, were they intent on watching as well as broadcasting the stream? What a depressing story -- prurience and immaturity that, years ago, would have peaked at nasty rumour. Now it can be fed round the world, saved and even redistributed, complete with pix and sound. Ugh.

best,

s

Scapa, after reading your post, it makes me realize Molly had to be involved in some form in this crime and should have some charges brought against her. She was after all watching with Ravi. I realize others were watching but how do we really know her role in all that went on?

Goz

My opinion only, and I want to stay out of the legal issue here for sure... but I do think, ohhh :(

Please try and teach your children tolerance, and perspective. Tolerance for privacy, for beliefs or lifestyles, and for life. And perspective- that whatever is going on in the moment- will pass- if you give it enough time. Please, give it enough time to let that moment pass.

My heart hurts for all of the families involved here.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJquRA582s[/ame]

i just cannot get this young man out of my head. it seems like he was dealing with the whole situation pretty well -- he had gone to the RA, was trying to get a room change, was talking it over with a supportive group on the message board, etc. but in the end, the whole thing must have been too overwhelming. i feel so, so bad for him and his family.

i just cannot get this young man out of my head. it seems like he was dealing with the whole situation pretty well -- he had gone to the RA, was trying to get a room change, was talking it over with a supportive group on the message board, etc. but in the end, the whole thing must have been too overwhelming. i feel so, so bad for him and his family.

I'm with you, blue. This case is really weighing heavy on my heart. This was a young man with a brilliant future, who deserved so much better. I wish so much that he could have found another way to deal with those heathens. But once he knew probably half his school had seen him online, he was probably completely unable to see through that pain and humiliation. People have got to learn to be more accepting. I am a very vocal supporter of gay marriage and I will use this story to be even more vocal about gay rights and acceptance. This just didn't have to happen. And there is no way to make it better. It's just awful. Tyler Clementi should become the rallying cry to the homophobes out there.

As a dear friend pointed out to me...this is the internet. Nothing ever goes away once posted. I just googled the name Dharun Ravi and there were 107,000 hits on that name. About the same number for Molly.

For the rest of their lives, whenever anyone ...future employers, future friends, future lovers...just anyone...googles their names or does any kind of on line search, this will come up. Their cruelty will follow them everywhere. The whole world will know just what kind of people they are.

Somehow that brought me some comfort.

This brings back to my mind the Matthew Shepard case. Another young man was so tortured he could not endure the pain. It's heartbreaking and it's criminal. It's a hate crime.

This "up-coming" generation and their "social networking" is becoming so insensitive to anything and everyone around them.

I've seen it in almost every situation. From the "toxic" tribal council last week on Survivor (where the younger tribe literally attacked each other) to my own home parties (where 3 of the wives sat around texting -even each other - and did nothing to join in our conversations or activities.

Anything (weel, almost) is good in moderation - but that doesn't exist anymore. Once you "have it" it is so easy to become obsessed, it takes over your entire life. When I was little TV signed off at 2 AM - remember that? The playing of the National Anthem.

I believe this really belongs in the Bullying thread. It is absolutely horrible. The two charged did not, for one minute, ever thing about how they would feel or the ramifications of what they were doing. Character and character building is now a thing of the past.

It is scary where this world is headed and with the new generation and their "networking" it is only going to get worse.

My prayers and thoughts are with this young man's family. Such a shame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back