Michigan Prison Inmate Dies After Eating Peanut Butter Sandwich

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Click here for link

STANTON, Mich. — An inmate with a peanut allergy has died after eating a peanut butter sandwich at the Montcalm County Jail, the sheriff there said Monday.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

There was a CSI, Miami episode where a man on death row w/a peanut allergy chose a PB sandwich and died...IIRC.

This guy was 30 yrs old. I'm assuming he knew of his allergy. :doh:

Ah, that's a good point, SCM. He could have been impaired when he ate it.

Ah, that's a good point, SCM. He could have been impaired when he ate it.

It's the only thing that sorta makes sense to me - seems like by that age you would know you have an allergy and have the sense to stay far away from peanuts. This is interesting that this occurred in light of the other peanut allergy thread that's going.

Scary scary stuff! I always ask my kids friends and their parents about peanut allergies, etc..but it's frightening to think that eating a sandwich could kill someone so quickly.

you may think this is horrible for me to say, but he could have been forced to eat it. some people would be SHOCKED at the treatment of prisoners.

my friend had to serve one month for a petty crime. she had JUST been released from the hospital (sentence even had to be delayed) for a near fatal illness. While in prison the correction officers refused to give her her medicane. And they forced her to eat food that could have killed her.

A judge finally intervened, and told them to give my friend her meds and food that wouldn't harm her. When that happened the corrections officers called her a crybaby and gave other inmates permission to beat her up.

needless to say she's never been the same since.

I remember when this was in the news;
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10243950/

Teen with peanut allergy dies after kiss

updated 8:20 p.m. ET, Mon., Nov. 28, 2005
SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

you may think this is horrible for me to say, but he could have been forced to eat it. some people would be SHOCKED at the treatment of prisoners.

my friend had to serve one month for a petty crime. she had JUST been released from the hospital (sentence even had to be delayed) for a near fatal illness. While in prison the correction officers refused to give her her medicane. And they forced her to eat food that could have killed her.

A judge finally intervened, and told them to give my friend her meds and food that wouldn't harm her. When that happened the corrections officers called her a crybaby and gave other inmates permission to beat her up.

needless to say she's never been the same since.

On the flip side this inmate could have thought that by deliberately inducing an allergic reaction he could spend his time in a hospital bed rather then a cell and it just backfired on him.

I am curious about your friend... What foods could have killed her and how was she forced to eat it?

I remember when this was in the news;
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10243950/

Teen with peanut allergy dies after kiss

updated 8:20 p.m. ET, Mon., Nov. 28, 2005
SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

That turned out to be a mistake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11659935

updated 6:54 p.m. ET, Fri., March. 3, 2006
SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy did not die from kissing her boyfriend following his snack of peanut butter, a Quebec coroner said Friday, countering a report that drew international attention last year.

Saguenay coroner Michel Miron said Christina Desforges died from another cause. However, he refused to disclose that, saying he first wanted to report to the provincial coroner’s office as well as examine more test results.

But Miron said he was speaking out now to head off an allergy association from using the case as an example.

and

http://www.ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/Downloads/CANADA11May06.pdf

Christina Desforges died from an asthma attack after "physical exertion" with her boyfriend,
not from an allergic reaction to a peanut butter-laced kiss, said coroner Michel Miron.
The 15-year-old girl stopped breathing in the early morning hours of Nov. 20, 2005, after
kissing her boyfriend. He had eaten two pieces of toast with peanut butter about nine hours
earlier.
The initial suspicion that lingering peanut allergens triggered an allergic reaction was wrong,
Miron said. Instead, he blamed a sudden, severe asthma attack following physical activity
with her boyfriend.

" Miron said. Instead, he blamed a sudden, severe asthma attack following physical activity
with her boyfriend."

Any guesses on what that physical activity was??

:waitasec: Hmmm. I'm trying to think here. Basketball?

" Miron said. Instead, he blamed a sudden, severe asthma attack following physical activity
with her boyfriend."

Any guesses on what that physical activity was??

Oh My Gosh! I wonder how psychologically damaged the boy is now? Wonder if he's had any luck becoming intimate with another?

Is it possible this guy ate it knowing he would have to be rushed to the ER and maybe was gonna try to escape?

There was a CSI, Miami episode where a man on death row w/a peanut allergy chose a PB sandwich and died...IIRC.

This guy was 30 yrs old. I'm assuming he knew of his allergy. :doh:

I agree. It sounds like suicide by sandwich.

Wow - that's terrible. Maybe he was keyed up or otherwise impaired when he was arrested and didn't think about it.

Or else he had told them of his peanut allergy and assumed he was eating a soy butter sandwich.....that stuff is remarkably like peanut butter in taste and aroma.

I agree. It sounds like suicide by sandwich.

If he chose this as a way to commit suicide, he must never have gone into anaphlactic shock before. That is a terrifying sensation, you are totally cognizant as to what is going on, the fight for oxygen is incredible...I mean your body starts heaving trying to pull air in....it's nothing I can imagine anyone choosing. Of course you eventually pass out, but not nearly in time to avoid the terror.

If he chose this as a way to commit suicide, he must never have gone into anaphlactic shock before. That is a terrifying sensation, you are totally cognizant as to what is going on, the fight for oxygen is incredible...I mean your body starts heaving trying to pull air in....it's nothing I can imagine anyone choosing. Of course you eventually pass out, but not nearly in time to avoid the terror.

I'd like to be able to tell you that I feel any sorrow for the dude, but it just isn't true. I'm sure whatever he went through was nothing compared to the murders of his victims.

I'd like to be able to tell you that I feel any sorrow for the dude, but it just isn't true. I'm sure whatever he went through was nothing compared to the murders of his victims.

I thought he was arrested for assault and battery, that morning? I saw the CSI episode - now that character was on death row and chose the pb and j for his last meal. I thought he just wanted to "get one up" on the prison authorities, did the job before they could.

Eve

If it were only for assault and battery or anything less than being a pedophile or rapist then I feel sorry for him. Maybe he didn't realize it was peanut butter before taking a big bite.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=8201043

21 April 08

Paul Thurston was checked into the jail about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. Jail staff filled out the usual intake form with questions about health issue, including allergies. Thurston gave them a long list of medications he was taking, but never mentioned his peanut allergy.

At lunch on Sunday, he apparently ate several bites of a peanut butter sandwich, then contacted guards about his allergy. An on-duty nurse and an ambulance were summoned. The ambulance arrived in eight minutes, but Thurston was already in cardiac arrest.

He died at Sheridan Hospital, about 30 minutes after he ate the sandwich.

"There was nothing to indicate he was allergic to peanuts or peanut butter," Montcalm County Sheriff William Barnwell told 24 Hour News 8.

"I've been here for over 30 years and this is the first incident I can recall where someone's died due to an allergic reaction to food."

Barnwell has requested an outside investigation into the incident. Barnwell said he has no indication that procedures weren't followed, "but we're still going to do it anyway."

Thurston's family told 24 Hour News 8 he was arrested after getting into a scuffle at a local bar. They question whether the sheriff's department should rely on information from an inmate who is intoxicated.

Thurston's brother also said this is not the first time this happened to Paul. While serving time in the Kent County Jail on prescription drug violations, he ate a peanut product and had a reaction so severe he was in a coma for four days.

But Barnwell said, "I cannot understand why he didn't tell us about it, and I cannot understand why, when we did give him a peanut butter sandwich, why he didn't notice it. We just don't know. It's frustrating to understand, and I'm sure his family's thinking the same thing."

He was arrested for assault, not murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back