Darlie Routier on Death Row

I'm not sure how many appeals Darlie has left, if any, but I've held the opinion for some time that Texas is not trying very hard to execute her. It wouldn't surprise me if she lasted another 10 years on death row, even though that's a rare thing.

I think there would be such an uproar over her execution after the huge amount of wrongful convictions coming out of Texas these days, that her sentence will likely never be carried out. More than likely it will be commuted to life in prison. Obviously something will have to happen for that to be done, but I think the day is coming. After the Willingham case, they are being watched.

I think that's one reason of a few TX might never get around to executing Darlie. Obviously there's something about this particular killer and this particular case that has allowed her to languish on death row even when there is seemingly a conveyor belt moving along with executions in the state.

I completely agree. She has sat this long for a reason. And when they figure out a way to get around it, they will commute her to life w/o parole.

I wonder as well. I've been reading the trial transcripts today and I'm 100% convinced she's guilty.

I completely agree. She has sat this long for a reason. And when they figure out a way to get around it, they will commute her to life w/o parole.
I find that unlikely for many reasons.
There are several people that have been on Texas death row for as long as she has. I checked Texas' scheduled executions and found a little less than half are from around the same timeframe as Darlie.
Remember several years of her appeals were taken up by the transcript debacle. In reality her execution timeline started after that was decided, around 2000.
Most of the delays are because DNA testing was still fairly new and maybe not as reliable when their cases were tried. DNA was allowed in courts way too soon and the courts have been pretty careful about allowing retesting to make sure the testing 20+ years ago was accurate. More recent cases with DNA have gone quicker mostly because DNA testing is just more accurate these days, thus leading to quicker executions.

Also, *surprise, surprise* Texas is different.
The only way to get a sentence commuted in Texas is to go through the Board of Pardons and Paroles. Only after the Board has recommended commutation can the Governor decided whether s/he will concur or not. This Board is purposefully populated with people who will be tough on crime and criminals. Other than that route, she'd have to have either her entire case or her sentence overturned and both sides agree she's guilty but either doesn't meet the criteria for execution or neither side thinks they can win in total

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back