Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN just pointed out "things are not expected to happen" never said it won't happen.. just that it's not expected...

Well as presidential "remarks" go, that was one. 100's of words to say..........nothing.

Well, he said a lot of nothing we haven't heard before, then he turned around and left. I think his back showed he isn't answerable to anyone.

My opinion only

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/3/17/serious_danger_of_a_full_core

Excerpt from this transcript, talking about a report done in the 1980s by the NRC:
"This is a report—it’s called "Calculation of Reactor Accident Consequences 2"—done by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, not Greenpeace, and it projects peak early fatalities, peak injuries, peak cancer deaths, scale cost in billions in terms of property damage, and a large hunk of the earth being rendered uninhabitable for millennia. And just, for example, for the Indian Point 3 nuclear plant, which is about 35 miles from where we sit now in New York, 50,000 peak early fatalities; 167,000 peak early injuries; cancer deaths, 14,000; scale cost of billions, they say $314 billion—in 1980s dollars, we’re talking about a trillion."

Yeah, they don't expect any radiation to reach the US, but that doesn't mean it won't. I've learned to expect the unexpected. I didn't expect my husband's vasectomy to reverse itself, either.

"You must know what I know as President..."Yeah, I believe that, NOT!!!
Yea I caught that too. Does he really think that? There is no way in hello that a President could (or even want) to let the American people KNOW everything that he does.

At least he spoke. I'll shut up about it for now. That is what we wanted and he did it. Now he and Michelle and the girls can go party in Rio.

Yeah, they don't expect any radiation to reach the US, but that doesn't mean it won't. I've learned to expect the unexpected. I didn't expect my husband's vasectomy to reverse itself, either.

:congrats: :floorlaugh:

Well......let's look at the bright side. He came out and said something. He uh, spoke in "flowery" terms about some things. And he well, he came out and oh, never mind.

Acknowledges the unimaginalble toll that the disaster has taken on our friend and ally.

Said we are bringing all available resources to Japan.

Acknowledges that reactors pose significant risk to those nearby, and that is why the evac zone for American personnel was extended to 50 miles. Outside of that radius, there is no cause for evac. Due to his understanding of the American concern, last night he authorized the departure of dependents of US military in NE Japan.

Our embassies and consulate are still open and in operation.

We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach American soil, repeated twice.

CDC recommends that we the people take no extra precautions besides staying informed.

As citizens, we should know what he knows, that's his belief.

Our reactors are safe, but he has asked for a review of our plants to make sure they stay that way.

American search and rescue in on the ground in Japan, and the US military is working around the clock. We have dropped thousands of pounds of food and water and are sending teams of experts.

Japanese are not alone, we will support them and he is confident they will rebuild and recover. He speaks of hope for their future and spends more time on the rescued four month old than on any other topic.

Reiterates that we will stand with Japan in the coming times.

Some idiot reporter asks about Libya.

POTUS out.

Back now... FWIW. Quick anecdote.... I took my daughter to fill a prescription and I asked the pharmacist about potassium iodide pills, and he essentially laughed at me. "Only in Japan" he said. I kept talking to him about it and he seemed pretty in the loop of what was going on. Oddly enough, I think he was Japanese himself.

I am in the Toronto area.

Yea I caught that too. Does he really think that? There is no way in hello that a President could (or even want) to let the American people KNOW everything that he does.

At least he spoke. I'll shut up about it for now. That is what we wanted and he did it. Now he and Michelle and the girls can go party in Rio.

Okay, at least SOMEONE in US authority has spoken and I appreciate that. However, I don't think that anyone has any idea of what may ultimately happen b/c we DON'T KNOW. This situation has never been encountered before. Chernobyl is a cow with different spots. Some things about that reactor are worse than these in Fukushima----but OTOH, some things about Fukushima are very different from Chernobyl (most notably, to me, are the 600,000 spent fuel rods). I think he had to say what he did b/c THEY don't know----and there is no value in starting a mass panic. But you can bet your boots that the gov't has already considered worst case scenarios.

PS I would LOVE to know what the intel was that those drone planes got from their flyovers. Prob. would scare the carp out of me.

I don't get it. If someone on the news says that this nuclear situation will be doomsday for the entire world, they are quoted here and everyone believes 100% what they have to say. But if someone says that no radiation will hit the US/we'll be fine/etc etc, they are ignored, lying, or they don't know what they are talking about. :waitasec:

Well, lots of you wanted to hear from him...he said about what I expected he would/could say. I don't feel better and I don't feel worse. I don't know what else he could have said, really.

I don't get it. If someone on the news says that this nuclear situation will be doomsday for the entire world, they are quoted here and everyone believes 100% what they have to say. But if someone says that no radiation will hit the US/we'll be fine/etc etc, they are ignored, lying, or they don't know what they are talking about. :waitasec:

I'm not sure that's exactly the case. I believe most of us are well informed, and no one is panicking. What I feel is I cannot believe anything any gov't tells me, I've been lied to too many times - Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction - you saw where that little tid bit has gotten us.

I think most of us just want to know the truth, prepare for the worst, and be happy when the worst doesn't happen. Is that so wrong?

Trust issues?

Can anybody think of a government that has been known for being honest to their people?

The press? How many cases do we hear so and so IS NOT a POI and they are quickly under arrest? Many, IMO.

We are victims of our press.
We only know what they tell us and on an as need to know basis, if that. JMO

It is important to think for ourselves, prepare for the worst and hope and pray for the best.

Many hurricanes and weeks with no power or water teaches one these things. :)

For what it's worth, I don't trust anyone, regardless of what they say. I am angered at the fact that there is so much conflicting information, and we can't seem to get a straight answer from either side due to evasivness, and what looks to me like arrogance on the part of all experts. We have heard every answer except, "We just aren't sure". Not only are the two countries contradicting each other, we are contradicting ourselves. (Surgeon General says there is nothing wrong with taking KI as a precaution, CDC says, no, bad idea.)

That is what angers me, and makes me believe that no one should be believed. ALL MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle