GA - Daniel Cowart & Paul Schlesselman for assassination plot, Jackson, 2008

This story shook me to my core this evening, and I guess I am naiive enough to believe that this wouldn't happen. :behindbar Racism has no place here. Hasn't our country come a long way? THIS is unpatriotic... not Senator Obama.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/27/obama.plot/index.html

(CNN) -- Federal prosecutors in Tennessee have charged two men with plotting a "killing spree" against African-Americans that would have been capped with an attempt to kill Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.
The U.S. attorney's office in Jackson, Tennessee, said Daniel Cowart, 20, and Paul Schlesselman, 18, were self-described white supremacists who met online through a mutual friend.
Both men have been charged with illegal possession of a sawed-off shotgun, conspiracy to rob a federally licensed gun dealer and making threats against a presidential candidate.

I beleive that this will not be the only attack, some are speculating that obama will be another JFK.,

This story shook me to my core this evening, and I guess I am naiive enough to believe that this wouldn't happen. :behindbar Racism has no place here. Hasn't our country come a long way? THIS is unpatriotic... not Senator Obama.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/27/obama.plot/index.html

(CNN) -- Federal prosecutors in Tennessee have charged two men with plotting a "killing spree" against African-Americans that would have been capped with an attempt to kill Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.
The U.S. attorney's office in Jackson, Tennessee, said Daniel Cowart, 20, and Paul Schlesselman, 18, were self-described white supremacists who met online through a mutual friend.
Both men have been charged with illegal possession of a sawed-off shotgun, conspiracy to rob a federally licensed gun dealer and making threats against a presidential candidate.

It's amazing that this can go on in 2008.

I know that Senator Obama has had extra protection from the beginning; but I do worry for his life.

I think there's alot of anger boiling over everywhere, for various reasons, and it doesn't look like things have changed a whole lot since 1968; sadly.

We really need to get over the anger and the finger pointing and start working to make our country stronger and better. IMO

I beleive that this will not be the only attack, some are speculating that obama will be another JFK.,

No president these days is ever left as exposed as JFK was in Dallas.

It's amazing that this can go on in 2008.

I know that Senator Obama has had extra protection from the beginning; but I do worry for his life.

I think there's alot of anger boiling over everywhere, for various reasons, and it doesn't look like things have changed a whole lot since 1968; sadly.

We really need to get over the anger and the finger pointing and start working to make our country stronger and better. IMO

I was born in 1968 and I pray our country has evolved since that time.

"Anger boiling over" should never equate to assassination...no matter the problems in our country, the death penalty for a candidate (or leader) is never the answer. 40 years later, I hope we have learned and if not....I hope intelligence and Secret Service are a step ahead. I am grateful this was a foiled attack.

I agree...I believe this country has come very far since 1963 in regards to prejudice, but no matter how far we progress there are still going to be narrow-minded, prejudiced people who will always pose a threat to tearing down what it took so long to build up. It's unbelievable that these things can happen in 2008 but there are still some very scary people out there.

Sadly although many groups go under different names, the Klan ideal is alive and well these days. I have feared since he started running that Obama will be a target. Sadly I know people who are very bigoted.

To think that we have moved beyond such bigotry and hate is naive. What we --those of us who abhor this way of thinking -- must do is continue to move in a positive direction, embrace diversity, teach by example, and make decisions for our lives and our country (ie. voting) that help to promote progressive change.

No president these days is ever left as exposed as JFK was in Dallas.

You're right. JFK should never have been exposed like that. Even after that, Ford and Reagan where still left exposed enough to allow attempts. Unfortunately, bigotry and hate still exist and there are people out there that just want to make a name for themselves. Pathetic as it is. Very sad that we have to be concerned about things like this.

You're right. JFK should never have been exposed like that. Even after that, Ford and Reagan where still left exposed enough to allow attempts. Unfortunately, bigotry and hate still exist and there are people out there that just want to make a name for themselves. Pathetic as it is. Very sad that we have to be concerned about things like this.

Presidents are "left exposed." They are "exposed" only at their own orders. Secret Service can only advise, but JFK wanted that convertible without agents around him. PLEASE---I am not blaming targets!! I am just saying that protection is only as good as someone allows.

As for Obama, I am so glad he has had agents assigned to him (!!!!!) and this warning about the skinheads came from ATF, which is a different branch altogether.

I don't think it's naive at all to expect we have moved past this this bigotry and hate, Cypros.

To quote your post, "What we --those of us who abhor this way of thinking -- must do is continue to move in a positive direction, embrace diversity, teach by example, and make decisions for our lives and our country (ie. voting) that help to promote progressive change.

40 years of doing exactly that and now you report it's naive to think that's enough.....:mad:

Presidents are "left exposed." They are "exposed" only at their own orders. Secret Service can only advise, but JFK wanted that convertible without agents around him. PLEASE---I am not blaming targets!! I am just saying that protection is only as good as someone allows.

As for Obama, I am so glad he has had agents assigned to him (!!!!!) and this warning about the skinheads came from ATF, which is a different branch altogether.

I don't think it's naive at all to expect we have moved past this this bigotry and hate, Cypros.

To quote your post, "What we --those of us who abhor this way of thinking -- must do is continue to move in a positive direction, embrace diversity, teach by example, and make decisions for our lives and our country (ie. voting) that help to promote progressive change.

40 years of doing exactly that and now you report it's naive to think that's enough.....:mad:

Of course they are "exposed" at their own orders. Still, he shouldn't have been exposed like that...regardless of who's decision. But JFK wanted to be out in the open with the people. Presidents will always be "exposed" at one point or another. Better measures are needed in todays society, to say the least.

Of course they are "exposed" at their own orders. Still, he shouldn't have been exposed like that...regardless of who's decision. But JFK wanted to be out in the open with the people. Presidents will always be "exposed" at one point or another. Better measures are needed in todays society, to say the least.

What do you mean "regardless of who's decision?" You agree people are "exposed" at their own orders, but he shouldn't have been exposed "like that." Those were his orders. No agents in or around the car...that's not open to interpretation. It was a tragedy, but Secret Service followed the orders they were given.

The person who is being protected has the final say. No one can override that.

In today's world, Secret Service definitely advises, but it is up to the protectee. That's how it is. I believe many candidates/Presidents are mindful of Dallas and JFK.

Since Obama has been protected a lot longer than any other candidate who has run, I am sure he is aware of the risks, and in his case, the specific threats to him, and takes the advisement of Secret Service. This particular threat was uncovered by a different branch altogether, ATF, not Secret Service.

What do you mean "regardless of who's decision?" You agree people are "exposed" at their own orders, but he shouldn't have been exposed "like that." Those were his orders. No agents in or around the car...that's not open to interpretation. It was a tragedy, but Secret Service followed the orders they were given.

The person who is being protected has the final say. No one can override that.

In today's world, Secret Service definitely advises, but it is up to the protectee. That's how it is. I believe many candidates/Presidents are mindful of Dallas and JFK.

Since Obama has been protected a lot longer than any other candidate who has run, I am sure he is aware of the risks, and in his case, the specific threats to him, and takes the advisement of Secret Service. This particular threat was uncovered by a different branch altogether, ATF, not Secret Service.

JFK gave the orders to the secret service to allow him to be exposed, right? So he could be with the people. They probably advised him not to be in a motorcade like that. So, as I said, regardless of who (JFK, etc) gave the order (decision), he shouldn't have been exposed like that...but he was - therefore the tragedy. There is no argument here...Look somewhere else for that!! If anything, I agree with your point. My only point has been better protection is needed in today's environment...that's it.

If you read my first post on this, I only point out that he shouldn't have been so exposed....that's all!! Jeez

This story shook me to my core this evening, and I guess I am naiive enough to believe that this wouldn't happen. :behindbar Racism has no place here. Hasn't our country come a long way? THIS is unpatriotic... not Senator Obama.....

The White Supremists did not act out of patriotism to this country. Their "loyalty" to the Aryan race doesn't recognize national and geographical boundaries.

When it's the Presidental Candidate, we naturally assume it's political - because we are not focused on racism so intently as this. But they do, and it's just them trying to yell their message louder than before.

It's not the country. The majority of the country has come a SUPER long way. These guys are the fringes, that's all.

If everybody were doing exactly that then maybe we would be in a situation where we could move beyond bigotry. Unfortunately, hatred and bigotry persist despite the good efforts of many. Yes, I do think it is naive to expect racism, bigotry, and let's not forget sexism, to disappear after a meager 40 years of progress (which has been significant but limited). That is 40 years against centuries of such thinking that is ingrained in our minds and our culture. It does not just disappear and it is more productive to recognize that than to expect things to be utopian and then constantly be shocked when it is not.

My ex is very bigoted and as much as I try to teach otherwise, his views trickle down on the children. This is true in many families, so racism will continue to be a problem until someone in these families wise up and stop hating others because of the color of their skin.

These days it seems like people don't need an excuse to try to kill someone. People are killed because some don't like the way they drive or over things they said. So in a country where race was a major issue less than 50 years ago, yes there are going to be some who haven't moved away from the old days. Yeah, I have been expecting it and I don't think this will be the last attempt.

Obama is not the only target either. Palin is too. Because this isn't a political issue, and really not a race/gender issue. The two are going to be targets just because they are "different." As long as there has been a country, the president has been a white man, usually over 50 years of age. So Obama has a different color of skin and Palin is a different gender and someone will hate that they may be given positions of power.

My ex is very bigoted and as much as I try to teach otherwise, his views trickle down on the children. This is true in many families, so racism will continue to be a problem until someone in these families wise up and stop hating others because of the color of their skin.

This is sadly, so very true.

I have a brother-in-law that is quite racist. He recently became a father and I can't help but wonder if he will pass down his bigotry to his daughter. He doesn't even seem to realize that he is bigoted. He'll make a racist statement and then look around at those sitting with him as though he expects us to agree!

Needless to say, my husband and I don't care to be around him much.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=6123157&page=1
Neo-Nazi Obama Plot One of "A Handful" of "Serious" Threats Against Obama
Secret Service Reports Record Number of Assassination Threats
The arrests Monday in an alleged neo-Nazi assassination plot against Sen. Barack Obama involve one of a handful of serious threats against the Democratic presidential candidate, federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News.
The officials say Obama has been the target of well over 500 threats, most of which are not taken seriously.
But in an estimated dozen or so cases, the threat was considered serious enough that law enforcement agents were assigned to track down suspects.
ABC News

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back