TN - Woman who sent boy back to Russia being sued for child support

From the article linked in the OP:

Hansen was living in Shelbyville in April 2010 when she sent the boy, then 7, back to Moscow with a note stating he had psychological problems.

I remember this case...thanks for posting the update.

This is a very tragic story. I feel terrible for the child but I do have a lot of sympathy for the adoptive mother.

In an effort to place these children, the adoption agencies are not always forthcoming on the true condition of some children that suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome and reactive attachment disorder (RAD).

Many are so physically and psychologically damaged that the average person does not have the resources or ability to provide 24-hour care and medical treatment. It is one thing to accept the responsibility if full disclosure is made, it is another to be completely blindsided by a child that can not bond with the family and does everthing in his or her power to destroy it.

if Torry Hansen had done her research, she would've known that these children are almost always psychologically damaged (even without research, it's common sense IMO)

if she didn't have the resources or ability, then she shouldn't have taken on the challenge

did she sue them for lack of disclosure? no, she put the boy on a plane with a note

I have no sympathy for her, only for him because now he is almost surely going to have worse issues

wonder how many people have rejected him in his short life

This is a very tragic story. I feel terrible for the child but I do have a lot of sympathy for the adoptive mother.

In an effort to place these children, the adoption agencies are not always forthcoming on the true condition of some children that suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome and reactive attachment disorder (RAD).

Many are so physically and psychologically damaged that the average person does not have the resources or ability to provide 24-hour care and medical treatment. It is one thing to accept the responsibility if full disclosure is made, it is another to be completely blindsided by a child that can not bond with the family and does everthing in his or her power to destroy it.

Whatever the child issues might have been, putting him alone on the plane as if returning a purchase she didn't like is clearly not the answer.

That is the chance anyone takes when they choose to become a parent. You can give birth to a child with problems. Those problems may cause issues with other family members. Do you give those kids back?

I knew a woman who adopted an older child because she was told that she couldn't get pregnant. The girl had been abused and had behavioral problems because of it. Well, she finally got pregnant. Guess what? She gave up the adopted child and doesn't even speak of her. I thought she was a really sweet girl but troubled. What saddens me the most was that she was so excited that she had a mom and dad(she would go around telling everyone "I have a mom now!"), but they gave up. It still infuriates me.:furious:

I feel sad for the child. All children need to be loved. The ones that struggle in life need it the most. :twocents:

jmo

Problem child or not, she adopted him. That means legally she is his parent, so child support should be enforced. How they can do that from Russia, IDK. But for all intents and purposes she became his parent whether she likes it or not.

I don't understand sending the child back. I don't know how she could even adopt if she is so unstable as to do something as such. I do know that other countries have less strict adoption rules, and even in this country they are not so hard.

I really don't like what I do find out about a lot, not all, of adopted children. It seems a lot are mistreated, and I suspect it is couples that think of children as objects they have to have to be in good standing in their small minded ways. I have seen it, even here at work.

A friend told me she watched a show this weekend about a family that adopted 11 Haitian children. They did not have enough space or beds for them. It was a mess. Unfortunately the mother grew very ill too. The community is now funding a home make over for that family. How the heck and why do you adopt 11 children when you can't house them or afford them? I know the children are better off here than Haiti, but my God, think about it first!

But since you and I and almost everybody here knows that, shouldn't an adopting parent know the risk as well?

(BTW, I'm not accusing you of being redundant when I say we all know that. It needed to be added to the conversation here and I appreciate you for doing so.)

so this just confirms what a pathetic excuse she is - first she puts him on the plane, then instead of paying what she was ordered to, she voids the cheques by writing her nonsense all over them and then neglects to send replacements as required

what an awful human being - throw her in prison & leave her there until she loses her sense of entitlement

it would be a small measure of justice for the boy who with that support money could have at least been able to receive some good counselling

[h=1]Hansen may be $30K behind in payments to Russian child[/h]
http://www.t-g.com/story/2203417.html

Even back when she did the adoption, it was WELL KNOWN that children from that part of the world had developmental issues from birth or from being in orphanages. I'm speaking as an average person and with her being interested in adoption, she certainly would have known this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back