Police seize dog after baby killed in Wales

ugh RIP

i have to admit i always smile when i see people post pictures of their dogs bonding with their very small children (often newborns/infants), but i also always want to reply and ask if that is really safe...

Human error again. You can ban all kinds of breeds, but there will always be another breed that can do something like this. I also have seen YouTube videos and photos of very small children with large dogs and something dings in my mind about how unsafe it is. You just never know.

Why did the police have to seize the dog? If my dog killed my baby, I wouldn't be waiting for the police to deal with the dog. I would consider that my responsibility.

i think the police had to seize the dog because the woman fled the house and was in shock, so they probably arrived and had to take full control of everything.

also, the article says they only had the dog a few months and suspected it was mistreated in the past...

im going to go ahead and not say anything, nope not me...

The Daily Mail has a shocking headline to their article. It may be accurate but it just seems unnecessary to me - we all know how horrific this must have been.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562020/Police-seize-family-dog-baby-killed-Wales.html

Poor little thing was only six days old. This is so tragic.

I am often surprised by the number of parents who thinks it's okay to let their toddler run up and jump on my dog, pull his tail or ears etc. My dog's never bitten anyone but I always supervise him near children very carefully, (my mom taught me to do that, with even the nicest dog). She always insisted babies and toddlers shouldn't be left in a room alone with a pet too.

We had the softest, sweetest dog when I was growing up but mom had been made paranoid about pets and kids when I was almost suffocated by our cat as a baby, when it went to sleep on my face and she found me very blue.

I wonder if pre-natal classes ever bring up the subject of new babies and pets? It is so important, I think. Lots of dogs seem to view babies and toddlers very differently from adults and they can get jealous.

I am not sure I understand how an infant is left alone with a dog of any size. The dog may not have even been "attacking" in it's mind, may have thought the infant was a toy.

I love my dogs, and they would never be banned because of a new child in the family. They are sweet and people friendly and small. But I would never leave them with an infant unattended. It's just stupid.

Dogs no matter what the breed are pack animals, they believe they are the leader. Mum has a little furry shitzu, looks cuddly n sweet and is to mum.
Over Christmas continually tried to herd mum n me together, cried when we were apart on walks, but when I cuddled mum on the sofa on Christmas Day
went for me out of the blue, would have bitten me!. Never trust any dog!.

The Daily Mail has a shocking headline to their article. It may be accurate but it just seems unnecessary to me - we all know how horrific this must have been.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562020/Police-seize-family-dog-baby-killed-Wales.html

Poor little thing was only six days old. This is so tragic.

I am often surprised by the number of parents who thinks it's okay to let their toddler run up and jump on my dog, pull his tail or ears etc. My dog's never bitten anyone but I always supervise him near children very carefully, (my mom taught me to do that, with even the nicest dog). She always insisted babies and toddlers shouldn't be left in a room alone with a pet too.

We had the softest, sweetest dog when I was growing up but mom had been made paranoid about pets and kids when I was almost suffocated by our cat as a baby, when it went to sleep on my face and she found me very blue.

I wonder if pre-natal classes ever bring up the subject of new babies and pets? It is so important, I think. Lots of dogs seem to view babies and toddlers very differently from adults and they can get jealous.

The baby was six days old. I doubt it ran up to the dog. Also, this was a stray. These parents should be charged for negligence IMO. Who brings home a dog from the streets with a newborn in the home. Unreal!

Counteract the above as a child had an Alsatian, slept on my bed, walked me to school,went home then met me after school, but I was his no 1 , in hindsight was not a good idea!.

Dogs no matter what the breed are pack animals, they believe they are the leader. Mum has a little furry shitzu, looks cuddly n sweet and is to mum.
Over Christmas continually tried to herd mum n me together, cried when we were apart on walks, but when I cuddled mum on the sofa on Christmas Day

Wellll....I trust my husband to go to Vegas alone and not bankrupt us (proved) but I wouldn't trust him within six feet of a chainsaw without doing serious damage to himself or others/objects, accidentally (also proved).

Likewise, I trust my dog in some circumstances, but not in others. I try and use my judgement but in the case of babies and little ones, caution has to rule, in my opinion. Just in case.

I wonder if your mum's dog saw an attack rather than a cuddle?

Probably little shitzus perception was attack as he never sees mum have physical contact, actually you have got a point never thought of that!.
Mums 72 her n dog, has never attacked mums friends guess he sees them more!.

The baby was six days old. I doubt it ran up to the dog. Also, this was a stray. These parents should be charged for negligence IMO. Who brings home a dog from the streets with a newborn in the home. Unreal!

I see nothing wrong with bringing home a stray. The problem was leaving a newborn unattended with a dog. Any dog. It's not the dogs fault, and people should not be discouraged from offering a home to a dog in need.

Just be a responsible parent.

Counteract the above as a child had an Alsatian, slept on my bed, walked me to school,went home then met me after school, but I was his no 1 , in hindsight was not a good idea!.

I love German Shepherds/Alsations because of this sort of loyalty and bravery that they're so good at. Young kids shouldn't be alone with dogs I agree, but if I had a little girl approached by predators, that's the breed I'd want between her and them.

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2013/09/19/german-shepherd-protects-5-year-old-girl-video/

I love German Shepherds/Alsations because of this sort of loyalty and bravery that they're so good at. Young kids shouldn't be alone with dogs I agree, but if I had a little girl approached by predators, that's the breed I'd want between her and them.

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2013/09/19/german-shepherd-protects-5-year-old-girl-video/

Yes, the other side of the coin is that dogs can be wonderful protectors of children. My beef is leaving an infant alone with a dog.

When a child is older and the dog has accepted it as part of it's pack, it is an entirely different story.

Then they would quite literally lay down their life to protect the child.

My children were raised with dogs all their life. They played with them, slept with them and one boy had to be trained away from using our Collie to pull himself up when he was learning the walk. Not because the Collie minded, but he was getting older and I was afraid he would be injured.

However, they were never, ever left alone as infants with any dog.

I'm a Collie gal. Most intelligent dogs on the planet. And the most eccentric at times, in my opinion.

ugh RIP

i have to admit i always smile when i see people post pictures of their dogs bonding with their very small children (often newborns/infants), but i also always want to reply and ask if that is really safe...

It's not safe with all breeds, but my German Shepherd would protect (and often does) any child. He even protects my cats and they are buddies. My neighbor had a rooster that he turned loose, because it was always attacking him. The rooster came to my house and took up with Blade, and they were inseparable until it attacked my neighbor again, and he shot it. :( Malmutes are notoriously stubborn and hard to train. This is not the dog's fault. I would not leave an infant alone with any dog, including mine, but because of his size, not his disposition. R.I.P. Little one. :(

I don't know where people get this. Yes they are pack animals, but my dog has NO DOUBT who leads our pack. That would be me. It's called training.

This kind of thing infuriates me. How did the dog have access to such a small child?

Do accidents happen? Yes. But you have to take responsibility as a parent and realize that every dog has his/her snapping point, regardless of how docile he/she is. Obviously I'm not blaming the parents in this, I don't think blame should be placed anywhere, but it opens up an avenue of discussion. It drives me mad when people leave their small children alone in a room with ANY dog. And you have to properly introduce any new person that will be in the home to any dog. Understanding dogs' mentality saves lives, but people don't seem to know or care.

What a tragic situation for all involved. My heart breaks for those parents.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back