Dogs

Tracking. They have SUVs with the dog's name on it.

Edited to add: It said Tracking K9 Unit, with the dog's name. I understand these are probably really trailing dogs, but that's what they said.

Maybe those were the dogs from the San Bernadino or Riverside County Sheriff's Department. I think these dogs have been used in San Diego before.

Tracking. They have SUVs with the dog's name on it.

Edited to add: It said Tracking K9 Unit, with the dog's name. I understand these are probably really trailing dogs, but that's what they said.

A lot of K9 units (depends on where your located) are marked specifically so that the population knows they are not "police" K9s and as a result not dangerous- but instead helpful K9s that are not trained to bite you. ;)

Different dogs act differently when they've lost the scent, but it's generally pretty clear that it's not there anymore. Some kinda spin in big circles trying to find it again, some just kinda stop, there is a distinct difference in their body language though it varies dog to dog. No, they can work through heavy crowds, other people and animals should have no bearing on a well trained dog.

Yep. A well trained dog...and a well handled dog.

If they are LE dogs it is quite possible they are tracking dogs as they are most often going to be used in criminal cases where following the criminal to a T is imperative in finding evidence. They may or may not be trained in scent discrimination (I don't know these dogs specifically, so if someone does chime in!).

OMG! Am just now seeing NG tonights show. It just now interviewed Amber Dubois' grandmother(who has law degree and is a judge i believe) and also her private investigator that she had hired named Holmstead(not Garcia!) They are stating both a trailing dog and cadaver dog picked up the scent of Amber at her home, tracked on route to her hi school, up to about 200yrds from front door. There the dogs picked up her scent making an abrupt change turning to the left crossing Broadway, going through residential, continuing to interstate 15. AND THAT BOTH DOGS CONTINUED TO PICK UP AMBER'S SCENT ALL THE WAY UP TO THE INDIAN RESERVATION! The very same reservation where she was found 2 days ago. Yet this search took place Aug.2009 and the police did nothing to follow up on this. That is what both grandma and P.I. are stating! That LE did no following up on this? This is extremely damning as to LE dropping the ball, once again. Her Gma is and has been very saddened by the choices LE have made throughout last 13mos, including the fact that LE wouldnt look into JAG and they had their own family members keeping tabs on him over 10mos ago. What does this say?

jessigirl, I don't want to rehash it in here, but jump over to the dog thread and read it. The short version, it is HIGHLY unlikely that these dogs did what they are saying, no trail older than 13 days has ever been successfully run, this one was 6 months old, the scent just doesn't last that long. More likely, they had tips that she had be seen in Pala (there is a link about this in the dog thread) and they hopscotched the dogs down there and then blurred it all together.

If they are LE dogs it is quite possible they are tracking dogs as they are most often going to be used in criminal cases where following the criminal to a T is imperative in finding evidence. They may or may not be trained in scent discrimination (I don't know these dogs specifically, so if someone does chime in!).

Don't know the dogs specifically either, it is quite possible they are trailing dogs- but with a sheriffs dept, could be a variety of possibilities. Seems like we should be able to clarify this with the dept! I'll have to look now and see what dogs they active in their dept.

FWIW, the hired PI supposedly had the Pala area theory before the dogs were brought in. He says it would be the most logical place to quickly get away from the city. So did we have a suggestion put into the handlers minds and the rest is history? I hate to say it, but there have been some dishonest handlers out there making some outrageous claims. Just sayin. And supposedly this group says they have a 90 percent success rate? I don't remember scent dogs ever being that accurate although some cadaver dogs can be.

Also, the dogs in this case did not lead to the EXACT spot Amber was found at. It was 3-5 miles away. And frankly all the library hit info probably did was further the belief that Amber ran away from home of her own free will. Not too many kidnapped people known for hanging out at the library. There is nothing I see about the dog hits in Pala that would have led to Amber being found.

Somehow I missed a bunch of posts. I can think of a dozen dogs certified just in one county in Nor Cal and that's just in one small section in the north of the state. (HRD/Cadaver dogs)

As for trailing dogs, there are no shortage of them out here either, no possible reason to ship them in cross country other than the fact that I don't know anyone who would go out on a 6 month old trail.

Agreed SuziQ, a 90% success rate? If that's the case then they should be at every single abduction case, 9 out of 10 of them would come home then right? I wish it were true.

FWIW, the hired PI supposedly had the Pala area theory before the dogs were brought in. He says it would be the most logical place to quickly get away from the city. So did we have a suggestion put into the handlers minds and the rest is history? I hate to say it, but there have been some dishonest handlers out there making some outrageous claims. Just sayin. And supposedly this group says they have a 90 percent success rate? I don't remember scent dogs ever being that accurate although some cadaver dogs can be.

Also, the dogs in this case did not lead to the EXACT spot Amber was found at. It was 3-5 miles away. And frankly all the library hit info probably did was further the belief that Amber ran away from home of her own free will. Not too many kidnapped people known for hanging out at the library. There is nothing I see about the dog hits in Pala that would have led to Amber being found.

She was described as a bookworm, she loved to read. So library would seem like a plausible place for her to hang out if she were a runway. Only we now know she was not. And I've already stated-who in their right mind would take a kidnap victim into a public library?

Do we know that she hadn't initially gone off voluntarily?

We don't know anything but it has been reported she had never missed school.
With her going to buy her lamb that day I find it highly unlikely she would have decided to miss the school all of the sudden.

Don't know the group- but certified (wait-maybe we should clairify who certified? it's a little bit like organic food....)?

I agree, just trying to keep an open mind, boys and hormones do crazy things to girls that age. I just can't think of any other possible reason that she would have been at that library.

No, mission ready Cadaver certified with the California Office of Emergency Service (OES, the government). About as official as you can get here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back