NC - Irina 'Ira' Yarmolenko, 20, murdered, Mount Holly, 5 May 2008 *previously GUILTY*Charges Dropped*

I just saw an ad for Greta's show tonight. She's going to be covering more information about this case. Hope they have some new leads.

I hope so too, Izzy. My youngest daughter will be going to that university in the fall and it scares me that a killer is running loose in the area.

i heard something on local news about a video showing her at the goodwill store sorry no link

i heard something on local news about a video showing her at the goodwill store sorry no link
I didn't realize that Goodwill stores had video cameras but I guess they do as they listed the time at about 10:35 a.m. when she was there. I read where she tried to donate used bed pillows and they don't accept them.

other than saying what time she was there and they have a video they said they're not giving any details. i wonder if that means something was on it that might be of some help.

That news story about the credit union thing is odd. I'm surprised that the security camera didn't record anything at all. I went by the branch of the State Employees Credit Union closest to me today - not the one Ira would have gone to, but in the same area - and was laughing to myself at the number of cameras that were posted all around the parking lot and building. (Laughing before having read this news story, that is.) My branch isn't in a sketchy area, so I don't think we have exceptionally tight security that the other branches wouldn't have. The Goodwill near me also has one or two cameras - it'll be interesting to see if her Goodwill picked up anything on theirs.

After seeing her brother and best friend on Greta tonight...it does appear they have someone in mind for this. The chief also said they have several persons of interest, but no suspect at this time. The brother and best friend both said they could not comment on there being someone who might have been bothering her or had reason to. Greta took it the same way we all would...meaning they do.
VIDEO in case someone other than me missed it on T.V.
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?playerId=videolandingpage&streamingFormat=FLASH&referralObject=161466&referralPlaylistId=949437d0db05ed5f5b9954dc049d70b0c12f2749
[/FONT]

A blurb for tonight's news just said they have new information - something about a second set of keys? I'm going to bed in a few minutes (kidney stones are the pits, thank God for potent painkillers!) but there should be news in the next couple of hours on www.charlotte.com or www.wcnc.com.

I just saw an ad for Greta's show tonight. She's going to be covering more information about this case. Hope they have some new leads.
I'm waiting up for her tonight at 10pm! :)

I'm waiting up for her tonight at 10pm! :)
Maybe it's regarding this hopefully.

Police release one new detail in slaying. But officials haven't released a suspect's name or a motive
snip
In the two-hour period before her body was found on May 5, Irina Yarmolenko made a stop at a Goodwill store.

The detail -- released Wednesday by police -- is an additional piece in the puzzle of Yarmolenko's killing.

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/624402.html

Maybe it's regarding this hopefully.

Police release one new detail in slaying. But officials haven't released a suspect's name or a motive
snip
In the two-hour period before her body was found on May 5, Irina Yarmolenko made a stop at a Goodwill store.

The detail -- released Wednesday by police -- is an additional piece in the puzzle of Yarmolenko's killing.

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/624402.html
I had just read this article and was going to post it here! :) I've had Greta's show on but got interrupted by a phone call so I don't know what's she's said so far. What I find interesting is the article said both front doors were open but in the video Greta had the other night, it was the left rear door open also as if someone had been in the back seat telling her where to drive (Mark Fuhrman's theory).

This is so sad to me. Reading Ira's online journal, looking at her photbucket account, etc makes me feel connected to her. She reminds me of myself a little bit I guess. To read her words which are so vital and full of life and then to think about her lying dead next to her car, murdered, is a startling, confusing contrast.
She is one of those people who you are sure would have gone on to do something great.

For some reason murders that happen in the morning and afternoon are more scary to me than those that happen at night. It just seems more sinister. We feel safe at 10am in the morning, running errands, drinking our coffee, listening to the radio, thinking about our day. The last thing from ones mind is being attacked and murdered.

I live in University City and frequent Jackson's Java. Overall it is a nice area and I have always felt safe. I do carry tear gas with me, yes tear gas...miltary cs2 tear gas, but that's just something I have done since I started driving years ago thanks to my Dad. I always have it in my bag and if I am walking after dark it's in my hand ready to go. A girl can't be too careful.

Anyway, as far as a gang thing, I am completly puzzled as to why everyone jumps on that whenever a crime is mentioned in the Charlotte area. :waitasec: I assure you the gang stuff is generally contained to the areas where the gang members live such as Hidden Valley, Central Ave and public housing. We do not have gangs roaming random streets looking for innocent victims. It's usually gang member on gang member crime or someone living in a heavy gang area getting caught in the crossfire.

Based on what the people who found her told the local authorities about the front and back door on the drivers side being found open and the tall grass and brush nearby looking like a struggle had taken place I came up with the following theory. Someone first thought to force her to get money and she told them she was a stuggling college student and had none so they decided to have 'a little fun with her', but she put up such a fight that they strangled her. Hope they find the creep very soon.

hmmmmm....seems from digging around that she may have been a runner. Wonder what kind of clothes she was found in? Maybe she went somewhere for a nice run on a trail and encountered someone during the run or after the run? There are places here that are a bit off the beaten path around the rivers and lakes where she could drive to, parked in a lot then head out for a run and not encountered anyone during the business day. Got me wondering now..... :waitasec:

That news story about the credit union thing is odd. I'm surprised that the security camera didn't record anything at all. I went by the branch of the State Employees Credit Union closest to me today - not the one Ira would have gone to, but in the same area - and was laughing to myself at the number of cameras that were posted all around the parking lot and building. (Laughing before having read this news story, that is.) My branch isn't in a sketchy area, so I don't think we have exceptionally tight security that the other branches wouldn't have. The Goodwill near me also has one or two cameras - it'll be interesting to see if her Goodwill picked up anything on theirs.

Hi Huck. The SECU that she would have gone to is directly across a 4 lane road with a median from the shopping center the coffee shop is located in. It is a brand new bldg (finished within the last 2-3 months) directly behind the old SECU. There are a few cameras in the parking lot of the SECU as well as a camera on the ATM. Not sure if the Goodwill has any cameras. It is located off 49 just behind a gas station. That's my Goodwill, half my house and closet is in there. :crazy: I'll take a spin through this weekend to drop some more things off and see if I spot any cameras.

The gangs in your area must be different than in our area. Here..they don't contain themselves to a specific part of the city. Their crimes range from gang on gang to home invasions of anyone and everything in between. Armed robberies, rapes, murders, and car theft/jackings are to them what going to work is for everyone else. It supports their drug habits, their gang activities, and creates a citywide terror. It is more than difficult to get anyone to testify against them. You know without any doubt you are risking the lives of your family. They have proven it repeatedly.

I hope they find out who murdered this sweet girl. I thought they had a good idea at first, but evidently that didn't pan out. Have they mentioned sexual assault? It is the one thing that could go towards motive. If the other person in the car were trying to just rob/kill her...they could have done that without driving to that area. I think it might be possible she drove the car into the lake on purpose trying to get away from him. It is possible the struggle was ongoing at that point and he finished the job before he bolted.

I don't see the reason why she would be outside of the car unless she was still alive when the car hit the water. She either got out on her own or he pulled her out after she was already gone. Makes more sense she got out on her own...because it would have been in his best interest for her to go into the lake inside the car.

After seeing her brother and best friend on Greta tonight...it does appear they have someone in mind for this. The chief also said they have several persons of interest, but no suspect at this time. The brother and best friend both said they could not comment on there being someone who might have been bothering her or had reason to. Greta took it the same way we all would...meaning they do.

Dr. Baden theorized she was manually strangled (instead of drowned) and the car was then sent into the water.

Just FYI. They found her body outside of the car and the car never actually made it into the water. It was several feet up the embankement. The people who found her said both doors on the drivers side were open and the brush and tall grass nearby looked like a struggle had taken place. Poor couple, they were out on their new water toys tooling around and find her body. They think with the new timeline that possibly the sound of their watercraft might have scared someone off. The couple wonders if the person wasn't still nearby when they went on shore. Doesn't that just give you the heebie jeebies? Wonder if they will change the timeline again?

The article is interesting.......http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/626457.html

The gangs in your area must be different than in our area. Here..they don't contain themselves to a specific part of the city. Their crimes range from gang on gang to home invasions of anyone and everything in between. Armed robberies, rapes, murders, and car theft/jackings are to them what going to work is for everyone else. It supports their drug habits, their gang activities, and creates a citywide terror. It is more than difficult to get anyone to testify against them. You know without any doubt you are risking the lives of your family. They have proven it repeatedly.

I hope they find out who murdered this sweet girl. I thought they had a good idea at first, but evidently that didn't pan out. Have they mentioned sexual assault? It is the one thing that could go towards motive. If the other person in the car were trying to just rob/kill her...they could have done that without driving to that area. I think it might be possible she drove the car into the lake on purpose trying to get away from him. It is possible the struggle was ongoing at that point and he finished the job before he bolted.

I don't see the reason why she would be outside of the car unless she was still alive when the car hit the water. She either got out on her own or he pulled her out after she was already gone. Makes more sense she got out on her own...because it would have been in his best interest for her to go into the lake inside the car.

yeah the gang problem here has not hit the level in other cities.

p.s. neither her nor the car were actually in the water when found. Both were a few feet up the embankement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back