MN MN - Dorothy Limestahl, 46, Winona, 1 Oct 1985

sunnynz

Reaction score
I can't find a thread for Dorothy. She went missing 1 Oct 1985 from Winona, MN. There is very little info on her disappearance and the one photo is from 1972.

img_74505.jpeg

Dorothy Mae Limestahl
Missing Since: October 01, 1985
Location Last Seen: Winona, Winona County, Minnesota
Physical Description
Age at Time of Disappearance: 46 yrs old
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 110 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): None
Distinguishing Marks/Features: None
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance: Ms. Limestahl has been missing since October 01, 1985.
Agency Name: Winona County Sheriff Office
Agency Phone Number: 507-457-6368
Agency Case Number: 890111

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3359dfmn.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12978/73

According to an obituary I found, Dorothy left behind a husband and possibly some children.

Here is Dorothy’s wedding announcement, including detail on her family and her profession as a medical technician. (NB, there was another Dorothy Moen living in the same area at the same time but her father’s name was Alfred, whereas Dorothy Moen Limestahl’s father was Edwin). https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/43530487/
img.jpeg

Dorothy’s sister Beverly’s wedding announcement. https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/43626613/

Dorothy’s sister Jeanette’s obituary from 2001 which infers that the family believe Dorothy is deceased (i.e. she’s not listed as a surviving sibling) http://lacrossetribune.com/lifestyl...cle_0fb254fc-a9ef-51ad-84ba-4b05e16d447e.html

Birth announcement for Dorothy’s son Todd – it appears they were living in Albuquerque at that time (1966) https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/81903740/

Dorothy’s father’s listing on findagrave lists out all the siblings but misspells Limestahl https://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=141415071

No reference to Dorothy’s disappearance in anything that I can find online including in the social media of family (as far as I can see so far).

That's a quick turnaround for a divorce isn't it? Maybe I watch too much TV but don't you have to wait a couple of years before it's finalised in the US?

It depends on the state and the reasons for the divorce. They all have different laws. I know from doing Genealogy that I have seen plenty of marriages end that quickly. Since they were married in Las Vegas, perhaps they never lived together and it was easy to show the court that? IDK. But if she kept using the last name of her second husband and decided to start a new life with that name, she would be harder to find. I found many people named Dorothy Baron in public address records but it's hard to find evidence any of them are her.

As I've been reading more it dawned on me that Whitehall (WI) is a rather small town - suppose maybe 1,500 give or take at the time. I have relatives from there. Cousins off my mom or something like that - but some still keep in touch. I'll reach out to them and see if anyone was familiar with the family or situation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As I've been reading more it dawned on me that Whitehall (WI) is a rather small town - suppose maybe 1,500 give or take at the time. I have relatives from there. Cousins off my mom or something like that - but some still keep in touch. I'll reach out to them and see if anyone was familiar with the family or situation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, Damarna! It would be great if someone could find news coverage from when Dorothy went missing. Maybe the small town paper has something not online? Or even an old yearbook photo of her. Even though she went missing in her 40's a clearer picture of her from when she was younger could be age enhanced.

I located a brief mention on a paywalled site that she was a dog showing enthusiast.
The newspaper name was

Winona Daily News, Issue Date:Sunday, July 23, 1978​

I located a brief mention on a paywalled site that she was a dog showing enthusiast.
The newspaper name was

Winona Daily News, Issue Date:Sunday, July 23, 1978​

And another article mentioned that she was showing a Maltese female

The La Crosse Tribune​

Saturday, October 1, 1977

I’m attempting to locate info on her first spouse, and any others if there are any. I found an obituary for a “Kenneth Limestahl” death 11/7/2014, in Whitebear Lake, MN. There is no info, no traditional obit, it’s the bare minimum. Do we think this may be spouse #1?

I’m attempting to locate info on her first spouse, and any others if there are any. I found an obituary for a “Kenneth Limestahl” death 11/7/2014, in Whitebear Lake, MN. There is no info, no traditional obit, it’s the bare minimum. Do we think this may be spouse #1?
It almost certainly is her former spouse as it is the right area, Ancestry records confirm a full name of Kenneth William on both a marriage record to Dorothy Mae Moen and on a death record for the date and location, and the birthdate on the death record is consistent with the one on the divorce record for Kenneth and Dorothy. The order of the children listed on the father's Find a Grave linked on #3 above is odd as Dorothy is confirmed (by other records on Ancestry) as the twin of Thea (who died soon after birth). You would have expected them to be listed next to each other as the others seem to be in birth order. It is probably irrelevant, but strange. At the time of marriage Kenneth Limestahl was a student at The Milwaukee School of Mines.

I located two sons of hers, and possibly a daughter. One of the sons has 9 pages of circuit court cases in Wisconsin. An astute former law enforcement friend pointed out that many are in the winter and speculated that he is homeless and commits minor crimes to get out of the cold weather. The other son has an arson conviction.

1706834426551.png

Case Information​

Demographics​

Missing Age 46 Years
Current Age 84 Years
Legal First Name Dorothy
Middle Name Mae
Legal Last Name Limestahl
Chosen Name/Nickname/Alias--

Biological Sex Female
Height 5' 3" (63 Inches)
Weight 110 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances​

Date of Last Contact October 1, 1985
NamUs Case Created November 18, 2011

Last Known Location Map

Location Winona, Minnesota
County Winona County
Missing From Tribal Land No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance unknown

Physical Description​

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown

View attachment 480036

Case Information​

Demographics​

Missing Age 46 Years
Current Age 84 Years
Legal First Name Dorothy
Middle Name Mae
Legal Last Name Limestahl
Chosen Name/Nickname/Alias--

Biological Sex Female
Height 5' 3" (63 Inches)
Weight 110 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances​

Date of Last Contact October 1, 1985
NamUs Case Created November 18, 2011

Last Known Location Map

Location Winona, Minnesota
County Winona County
Missing From Tribal Land No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance unknown

Physical Description​

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown
Thanks Pennysmom1, I’m doing a “deep dive” on this one. The people who might have info are slowly decreasing. I’m hoping for one last big effort before they are all gone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back