GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from another older report but the view is from a 20 year veteran of the APD undercover unit and worth noting. I personally don't think it was a serial killer but who knows?! And drug cartel?? That doesn't ring true for me, either. It's been a long 14 weeks waiting on just some nugget of information. *sigh*

Hi Happyshoes,

Can you please provide a link to the above information?

Thank you,
Tricia

Link was from www.wsbtv.com

Updated: 5:57 p.m. Friday, May 9, 2014 | Posted: 5:44 p.m. Friday, May 9, 2014

Former investigator sheds light on case of beheaded man, missing wife

Did I do something wrong or not post a link correctly?

Summers spent 20 years undercover with the Atlanta Police Department. He also worked for the Department of Defense in Afghanistan tracking bomb-makers affiliated with the Taliban and Al-Qaida.

"As an investigator, first thing I would do is look at other parts of the country and see if there are other crimes that parallel this," Summers said.

The FBI is involved, at least in part because Shirley Dermond is missing. But they would also investigate a multistate serial killer.

"If it is a serial killer, he's operating in such a way ... he's been in that community for a while."

"I'd definitely be interviewing anybody on the lake for any single males, probably white males they've seen in kayaks or canoes," Summers said.

Summers said investigators are also likely looking at a connection to organized crime.

"This is something very common with drug cartels, which is prominent in Atlanta area. Beheadings are absolutely the No. 1 way you send a message," Summers said.

Summers also said investigators are likely going through any surveillance video of nearby gas stations, convenience stores and hotels, looking for anyone who may have recently appeared in the area.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/former-investigator-sheds-light-case-beheaded-man-/nfsSj/

This is from another older report but the view is from a 20 year veteran of the APD undercover unit and worth noting. I personally don't think it was a serial killer but who knows?! And drug cartel?? That doesn't ring true for me, either. It's been a long 14 weeks waiting on just some nugget of information. *sigh*

<BBM for Focus>

Happyshoes, although I agree with many of retired APD undercover investigator Summers' assessments and recommendations. The decapitation of Mr D was obviously meant to send a message, imo. There were a couple of faulty assumptions and conclusions made by Summers, from info known on May 9, 2014 , based on myths and outdated info, imo. Also over the past three months, imo, there has been much more info revealed and many indicators that point to a likely motive, and that multiple perps were involved in the Dermond abduction/murders/decapitation..

It would be interesting, imo, if ms media would do a three month Dermond murder investigation update and re-interview Summers, and other retired law enforcement/homicide investigators, preferably retired GBI & FBI BAU profilers such as gbi Bob Ingram, R.L. Depue, John Douglas, Clint VanZandt, etc...
Happyshoes, I agree the indicators do not point to a serial killer, nor a message sent by a drug cartel??

* Myth: Serial killers are all white males.
Contrary to popular belief, serial killers span all racial groups. There are White, African-American, Hispanic, and Asian serial killers. The racial diversification of serial killers generally mirrors that of the overall U.S. population.

The most significant factor is the serial killer&#8217;s personal decision in choosing to pursue their crimes.

There were several additional observations made by the serial killer symposium attendees regarding causality:

&#8226; Predisposition to serial killing, much like other violent offenses, is biological, social, and psychological in nature, and it is not limited to any specific characteristic or trait.
&#8226; The development of a serial killer involves a combination of these factors, which exist together in a rare confluence in certain individuals. They have the appropriate biological predisposition, molded by their psychological makeup, which is present at a critical time in their social development.
&#8226; There are no specific combinations of traits or characteristics shown to differentiate serial
killers from other violent offenders.
&#8226; There is no generic template for a serial killer.
&#8226; Serial killers are driven by their own unique motives or reasons.
&#8226; Serial killers are not limited to any specific demographic group, such as their sex,
age, race, or religion.
&#8226; The majority of serial killers who are sexually motivated eroticized violence during development. For them, violence and sexual gratification are inexplicably intertwined
in their psyche.
&#8226; More research is needed to identify specific pathways of development that produce serial killers.

IV. Psychopathy and Serial Murder
Attendees at the Serial Murder Symposium agreed that there is no generic profile of a serial murderer. Serial killers differ in many ways, including their motivations for killing and their behavior at the crime scene. However, attendees did identify certain traits common to some serial murderers, including sensation seeking, a lack of remorse or guilt, impulsivity, the need for control, and predatory behavior. These traits and behaviors are consistent with the psychopathic personality disorder. Attendees felt it was very important for law enforcement and other professionals in the criminal justice system to understand psychopathy and its relationship to serial murder.

Psychopathy is a personality disorder manifested in people who use a mixture of charm, manipulation, intimidation, and occasionally violence to control others, in order to satisfy their own selfish needs. Although the concept of psychopathy has been known for centuries, Dr. Robert Hare led the modern research effort to develop a series of assessment tools, to evaluate the personality traits and behaviors attributable to psychopaths.

FBI Serial Murder
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

I noticed today that a club called Cashmere was shut down by Sheriff Sills this week in Eatonton because of an ongoing undercover investigation. There were both drug and gambling charges.

The owner of the club, an older woman, was previously the director of the place where Mrs. Dermond played duplicate bridge. In 2012, the woman was abruptly fired by the board of directors. I cannot access any of the articles that may explain exactly why she was fired, but it was a big enough deal to make the news.

Does anyone have an account with the Eatonton Messenger that might be willing to look into that? Thanks in advance :)

I think it is time for the Sheriff to plop everything down on the table and show the public ALL of the evidence they have up to this point.

I never have understood why law enforcement is so reluctant to share information that may help to solve a crime.

LE doesn't live there. LE aren't locals in the complex. LE isn't part of the "in" crowd. LE isn't included in the gossip and the rumor mills.

LE are usually outsiders looking in. The main investigators, both local and federal, are not close insiders to the community. People may not talk to them unless they are specifically approached and asked questions.

Something they have evidence wise, would more than likely cause the light bulb to go on in somebodies head. Someone out there probably saw something or heard something that night, and may not even realize the importance of it.

Lay it out there, open up the files, show everybody what you know. It's the ONLY way this case will ever be solved.

The public has definitely been left in the dark..blackout..about this case. I can't imagine why, but maybe one day we'll know.

I noticed today that a club called Cashmere was shut down by Sheriff Sills this week in Eatonton because of an ongoing undercover investigation. There were both drug and gambling charges.

The owner of the club, an older woman, was previously the director of the place where Mrs. Dermond played duplicate bridge. In 2012, the woman was abruptly fired by the board of directors. I cannot access any of the articles that may explain exactly why she was fired, but it was a big enough deal to make the news.

Does anyone have an account with the Eatonton Messenger that might be willing to look into that? Thanks in advance :)

That definitely is interesting. I'd also like to know who was ON that board of directors.

bbm: Quoting you again, Bethanthony, to say that I don't have a subscription to the EM ... but (and this is mostly for others, as I gather you probably already have all the info you'd find at the link below, Bethanthony) I do think Milledgeville, Georgia's The Union Recorder Facebook page is OK to link here ... and there is a post with some info about the recent events Bethanthony described:

https://www.facebook.com/unionrecorder?fref=nf

(And you can read this even if, like me, you don't "do" Facebook.)

bbm: Quoting you again, Bethanthony, to say that I don't have a subscription to the EM ... but (and this is mostly for others, as I gather you probably already have all the info you'd find at the link below, Bethanthony) I do think Milledgeville, Georgia's The Union Recorder Facebook page is OK to link here ... and there is a post with some info about the recent events Bethanthony described:

https://www.facebook.com/unionrecorder?fref=nf

(And you can read this even if, like me, you don't "do" Facebook.)
Could you provide a few breadcrumbs here by providing the date of the initial post? I've followed the link and scrolled all the way back to February with no luck. Perhaps I've overlooked it?

Could you provide a few breadcrumbs here by providing the date of the initial post? I've followed the link and scrolled all the way back to February with no luck. Perhaps I've overlooked it?

Under the ground breaking photo, there is a box that says, something like 47 posts to page recently. Click on it, and it should take you to the story. That's how I found it. HTH

In the left column, an August 17 post. (This is about the recent events, not the firing.)

https://www.facebook.com/unionrecorder/posts/10152362448218562

I hope this will give members more information about the previous discussion. I'm sorry if I've been particulary vague; I don't want to violate any rules and certainly don't want to point a finger at anyone over some piddly little offense(s). The woman cited as the club owner seems well-respected and liked in RP and Lake Oconee so it may just be making the news because of the oddity of its connection to her.

That being said, the woman who owned the club said in another publication (which I will try to link to it in a moment) that the charges stemmed from a silly misunderstanding about video games wwithin the club. That may be true, but Sills got a search warrant for her residence and the man she lives with, who also works with her at the club, is now being held WITHOUT bond until perhaps next week at the earliest. That seems rather strange to me, over a pot charge and a gambling thing that had to do with video games (slot machines?)...

I hope this will give members more information about the previous discussion. I'm sorry if I've been particulary vague; I don't want to violate any rules and certainly don't want to point a finger at anyone over some piddly little offense(s). The woman cited as the club owner seems well-respected and liked in RP and Lake Oconee so it may just be making the news because of the oddity of its connection to her.

That being said, the woman who owned the club said in another publication (which I will try to link to it in a moment) that the charges stemmed from a silly misunderstanding about video games wwithin the club. That may be true, but Sills got a search warrant for her residence and the man she lives with, who also works with her at the club, is now being held WITHOUT bond until perhaps next week at the earliest. That seems rather strange to me, over a pot charge and a gambling thing that had to do with video games (slot machines?)...
Great job, Bethanthony! Yes, does sound odd that he is being held without bond.

That being said, the woman who owned the club said in another publication (which I will try to link to it in a moment) that the charges stemmed from a silly misunderstanding about video games within the club. That may be true, but Sills got a search warrant for her residence and the man she lives with, who also works with her at the club, is now being held WITHOUT bond until perhaps next week at the earliest. That seems rather strange to me, over a pot charge and a gambling thing that had to do with video games (slot machines?)...

<BBM for Focus>

Thanx for sharing, Bethanthony.. Tommy Douglas Holland, is also being charged with one count each of felony possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, felony possession of methamphetamine, etc... Imo, the reason for the held on no bond/delayed bond hearing, is likely due to the intent to distribute charge against TDH..

•Tommy Douglas Holland, 48, of 307 W. Walnut St., is being held without bond on two felony charges for violation of gambling statutes and six misdemeanor gambling charges.

<sniped from the Union-Recorder article>

Sills said in an email Holland also is being charged with one count each of felony possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, felony possession of methamphetamine, and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

"Because of his charges, a bond will not be set until next Monday at the earliest," Sills noted.

Just read an article about James Foley, and what was done to him. It brought the Dermonds back to my thoughts, and I just have to express my horror...again...that someone, walking among us, could do this to someone. Other countries have beliefs and ways of interpretation that I consider inhumane and barbaric, but Mr. and Mrs. Dermond were killed by one of our own. I so hope and pray that this case is solved...nothing I can do beyond that...but it will haunt me until that time.

[h=1]Tri-County EMC warns of phony meter reader[/h]

If someone shows up at your house, claiming to be a meter reader, ask for credentials. ...

...The Gray-based utility serves portions of Jones, Bibb, Baldwin, Jasper, Morgan, Putnam, Twiggs and Wilkinson counties. ...

more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/08/21/3260663/tri-county-emc-warns-of-phony.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

bbm in the quote above...

I don't think this particular impersonator had anything to do with what happened to the Dermonds, but it is in the area and made me think of some of the ruses we've discussed that might have been involved...so thought I'd post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708