Dubbed "Vodka Mom" in scathing Nancy Grace segment, MN woman burns self to death

I am not sure what you mean by responsibility. I've yet to hear about a single case in US where someone was charged with driving somebody to suicide.

I guess what I mean (and again, this is only my opinion) is that the old adage, "sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me," is untrue -- and we've all read about cases where people (mostly young adults) have committed suicide after being bullied. If it weren't for the bullying that pushed them over the edge, that person would probably still be alive today. People need to take responsibility for how they treat each other -- to say that someone is blameless, because, hey, so-and-so had issues, and they would have killed themselves, anyway, is just cold-hearted, imo.
(Again, I am not saying NG is solely responsible for this woman's suicide -- just that her comments could have been what pushed her over the edge. Obviously, she probably wasn't thinking rationally to have killed herself.)

End of social commentary.

Thank you.

Carry on.

I don't see it as bullying.

It's not like this mom was an innocent person who NG decided to wage war upon.

NG was covering a news story.
That's her job.

She didn't make the mom drink the vodka. She didn't place the baby on the sofa with the mom.
Mom did all of that herself.

Instead of placing blame on others, we need to get back to personal accountability. I feel that's getting lost in our world.

The death of that baby and the suicide was by no one's actions but the mother's.

JMO

I agree. NG should bear some personal accountability for how she affects others, as well as the masses. Perhaps even more accountability than the rest of us, because none of us have a cable TV show that reaches the masses.

I don't agree with what this mother did, neither in caring for her child, or her suicide. However, I also don't agree with how NG uses her "power" on the airwaves.

I guess what I mean (and again, this is only my opinion) is that the old adage, "sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me," is untrue -- and we've all read about cases where people (mostly young adults) have committed suicide after being bullied. If it weren't for the bullying that pushed them over the edge, that person would probably still be alive today. People need to take responsibility for how they treat each other -- to say that someone is blameless, because, hey, so-and-so had issues, and they would have killed themselves, anyway, is just cold-hearted, imo.
(Again, I am not saying NG is solely responsible for this woman's suicide -- just that her comments could have been what pushed her over the edge. Obviously, she probably wasn't thinking rationally to have killed herself.)

End of social commentary.

Thank you.

Carry on.

We do have freedom of speech and people are allowed to express their opinion. So I still don't understand what exactly this responsibility is.

Did NG light the fire that burned this woman do death? I think not. The woman chose to do this. How anyone can blame NG for that, I will never understand.

I believe that NG's comments were one of many matches responsible for lighting the fire, that day.

The others could well have been guilt, sorrow, mental illness, self-hatred, and the list goes on and on.

All I know is, if it were me, and I knew that someone had killed themselves after I ripped them up one side and down the other (regardless of whether it was deserved [insert the definition of "grace" here] I would feel horrible, for the simple fact that MY words, MY actions, could have played a part in this.

I am also filled with sorrow for that baby, who never got a chance to live.

We do have freedom of speech and people are allowed to express their opinion. So I still don't understand what exactly this responsibility is.

I'm sorry, jjenny, that I can't explain it any better.

I see both sides.

NG maybe should show a little more tact, and Lord knows i can't stand to listen to her anymore,but as jjenny said, if the accusations were true, then NG technically didn't do anything wrong.

In all honesty, I think that if she didn't want to hear NG say mean things about her, she should have turned off the tv and stayed off the net. She did something incredibly neglectful and dangerous and killed her own child as a result. That is going to bring just as much derision from acquaintances and friends as from TV "celebrities". I'd be more inclined to say that she killed herself because alcohol is a depressant and even without it, she had a reason to be depressed. Sometimes depressed people kill themselves, even if no one calls them names.

P.S. On a more personal note, I think NG is the biggest bully and bull-poop artist out there, generally speaking.

How do we know if this woman even saw NG's show? Why are we assuming that she burned herself to death because of something NG said?

I think the fact that she had two DUI's that month, and also ignored her husbands warning about sleeping on the couch with the baby, right before she passed out and killed the child, is much more of a trigger than anything NG said.

NG drives me nuts at times as well. But if she did not rant and go all hysterical, her show would have been cancelled a long time ago. She does it on purpose, so she can continue to stay on the air, and talk about missing kids and murdered wives.

Her 'nasty' attitude towards her guests is just an act. I know someone who used to intern for her, and she said that NG was very good friends with those people, and just pretended to berate them and be rude, just for the drama of it. if they do not create that kind of dramatic effect, then they would have no ratings. And with low ratings, they would be cancelled.

I deleted my post because I didnt realize that she wasnt a guest. FWIW, the media link indicates that the baby was 3 weeks old in the headline and 3 days old in the article...which is confusing.

I am still wondering about dad and why he simply warned her instead of preventing little man from being taken to the couch. He was there too, watching his wife party, am I correct?

I dont think it is a technical issue. I think it is a moral one, and it says just as much about us the viewership as it does about her giving us what we want.

Nancy earns her money by exploiting these situations and weighing in judgement. I *think* she styles herself as a voice for victims. I dont know anymore because I stopped watching her years ago.

I would like to know what the guests are told ahead of air time. Someone must know that-pick one of her flavor of the week guests. One of them must be willing to share what happens when her folks first call to book you.

If Nancy's peeps said "look-she is going to skewer you. Be ready." Well then, that is fair warning. If they said "Hey, she just wants you to tell your side of the story..." kwim?

In any case, mom paid the ultimate price for her carelessness. If dad pointed out that she had been drinking all weekend, and that it was dangerous for her to sleep with baby why didnt he make sure she didnt do it?

I agree it is a moral one. I believe it is vital that there is at least one show that discusses missing children every week, and it is a moral decision on her part to try and keep hers on the air. I don't think she is that hard on people.

The people that know she is going to be rude to them are her regular panel guests. The defense attorneys etc. It is part of the shtick.

But i don't think she is that rude to her guests that are on because of recent crimes. Many people here are saying they stopped watching years ago, and then begin criticizing how she does the show. Is that fair?

I don't believe for a second that NG is acting when she is being rude. It comes very naturally to her. And why would that increase rating? I for one don't want to watch it because of her behavior.

Many people here are saying they stopped watching years ago, and then begin criticizing how she does the show. Is that fair?

Respectfully snipped. Has she changed her formula then? She is rude to on air talent but not to guests?

Respectfully snipped. Has she changed her formula then? She is rude to on air talent but not to guests?

Yep, pretty much. She has a squad of regular panel guests, like defense attorneys and shrinks. And she is somewhat rude to some of them, and it makes you wonder if they will ever be back again. But they are. And then my friends daughter told me that it was kind of scripted that way. They do it on purpose, and laugh about it afterwards.

She is very polite to her guests these day, imo. And until somebody else does a 5 day a week show devoted to missing kids, she will have my thanks and my respect.

I don't believe for a second that NG is acting when she is being rude. It comes very naturally to her. And why would that increase rating? I for one don't want to watch it because of her behavior.

I believe my friend. She worked there an entire summer as an intern.

Being 'rude' does come naturally because she was a dogged prosecutor. But she can turn it off and on. She is a Scorpio, and is acid tongued at times. But she does truly care about victims.

And it increases ratings because audiences like drama and vitriol. They don't like boring, considerate people, sadly. It is hard to get people to watch a show about missing kids. She needs a 'hook' to keep the ratings up.

Yep, pretty much. She has a squad of regular panel guests, like defense attorneys and shrinks. And she is somewhat rude to some of them, and it makes you wonder if they will ever be back again. But they are. And then my friends daughter told me that it was kind of scripted that way. They do it on purpose, and laugh about it afterwards.

She is very polite to her guests these day, imo. And until somebody else does a 5 day a week show devoted to missing kids, she will have my thanks and my respect.

Why doesnt she just do a straighforward show on missing and murdered? I would watch it...OK maybe I wouldnt watch it if it were her, but we would have to see. In any case, there is a market for it. JMVHO.

I think I am pulling us OT.

My dissatisfaction with Nancy, other than the histrionics, has to do with her research. The Caylee Anthony case was an excellent example of her recycling information rather than having access to anything new or important. I dont know that this is different-did she base her rant off of a newspaper article or was there some legitimate background done where she verified the whole story etc?

I believe my friend. She worked there an entire summer as an intern.

Being 'rude' does come naturally because she was a dogged prosecutor. But she can turn it off and on. She is a Scorpio, and is acid tongued at times. But she does truly care about victims.

And it increases ratings because audiences like drama and vitriol. They don't like boring, considerate people, sadly. It is hard to get people to watch a show about missing kids. She needs a 'hook' to keep the ratings up.

I've yet to see someone say how they love NG being rude and watch the show because of it. In fact the opposite appears to be true.

In any case, are there charges pending against dad as well? He endangered his son by allowing someone who was not capable of caregiving be the primary caregiver to his child. That is how I see this based upon the news reports.

If like to know more about the dad too.

IMO it doesn't lesson the Mom's total neglect, but I'd like to know if he neglected too.

I don't think I am alone when I say I am the harshest critic of myself, I can beat myself up mentally better than my ex ever could, and he gave it his all!!! Nancy Grace has nothin on him!

And I agree the father should be looked at as well, not for her death, but for leaving that poor baby on the couch with his mother.

So when did he get a chance to counsel her about sleeping with her child? And it seems apparent that he knew she had consumed the vodka, at least in the previous article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back