OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article two was very informative.
1. Toxicology report says he had Valium in his system. No one knew where he got it.

2. The first two scenes there was no sign of struggle. The third scene was disturbed by too many people.
3. It had rained two days before the second attack, but Billy's light color pants and shoes showed no signs of soil. This was when he was passed out under a tree for five hours.
4. He was given a lie detector test that showed signs of him trying to conceal something.
5. A teacher told police he had been asking how you could make yourself pass out.
6. FBI ruled his death inconclusive. Ny detective auto asphyxia- which was also want the local LE believed.

A couple of other things stood out to me in this article:

1. The coroner said the death was ruled a homicide primarily to keep the case open.

2. This quote: ..."strong possibility that he was not murdered and that he may have died at his own hands in a tragic accident."

My thoughts:

I think the polygraph results could easily be explained by the theory that he knew more about his attackers than he claimed, it doesn't necessarily mean that he was lying about the events taking place.

Also, sorry to be graphic, but if this was an autoerotic situation, wouldn't there be other clues? Pants unzipped, etc.

However, in the interest of exploring all of the options, I think it might be good to list out clues we have that absolutely point to this being a murder and not an accidental suicide. Unfortunately, as much as I don't want to believe it, I could see that being an option as it stands right now.

BBM1: Yes, there sure are some surprises there! I was really stunned by the turnaround of LE in this article. If it's possible to come to dislike two detectives from a single news article, that's how I came away feeling. In spite of the new evidence, I had the sense these two felt they were above the coroner's findings. Some thoughts:

* The valium makes perfect sense to me. I am grateful that it may mean BC didn't know what hit him the night he died. IMO, it also potentially validates the 5-6 hour "nap" after the second attack, as well as possibly the fuzzy mindedness I am attaching to BC's inability to describe his assailants after both attacks. Sticking with the possibility of attackers, they stepped up their game with the choking each time, maybe they did so with the drug doses too? Valium is fast acting on injection -- I remember that an oral surgeon used it for my daughter's 3-hour bony impacted molar surgery years ago in an IV drip and it was considered "general anesthesia." Also, it is an amnesiac -- it causes forgetting of anything you were conscious of when you were on it!!! For me, this drug explains the lack of struggle in all attacks, as well as the lack of struggle.

* Was it this article or one of the others that says, at the time of assault #1, BC was on a trail 50 yards into the woods behind the elementary school? Is that a shortcut somewhere, I wonder -- home perhaps by way of the RR tracks? I have the sense that, at the time of this article anyway, LE "reads" this as BC seeking privacy.

* Yes, the "crime scene" was probably quite a mess, and it probably hurt LE and the coroner not to see the way the scarf was tied around Bill's neck. But -- hello! -- breathing was a little more important at the time. It disturbs me that these two cops called the crime scene a "death scene." It was NOT. BC died at the hospital. The crime scene was a mess because human beings tried to save the boy's life! They seemed to ignore that little detail ...

* Can a lie detector test be reliably administered to a 14-year-old?! I thought it could not be given to kids because of their impressionability/suggestibility and the blurry line between imagination and reality? Does anyone know how this is seen today?

* And the teacher -- well, if all teachers were saints, I'd have no problem with this, but they are ordinary people with all sorts of personalities (helpful and, well, not so much). We are not told when BC asked the teacher this Q, but given the fact that the first attack happened so close to the beginning of the school year, I am guessing the convo occurred at least after that and maybe even after the second one. What if BC's Q was a reaction to LE's suspicion of him? By that time, LE may have already been taking samples of Bill's handwriting to rule him out in the case. Maybe he said to the teacher "How could I have made myself pass out?" and the teacher (or LE) took it out of context? LE sure likes hearsay when they think it works for them ...

* We are supposed to believe that a 14-year-old sought "self-gratification" outdoors?! And his routine was to take valium first? And to do it in the middle of delivering papers or collecting for his paper route? Give. Me. A. Break. So I guess then that quitting his paper route was a deliberate cover for his actions?

Sorry about this little rant -- I read this stuff before bed last night but it's only just now that it's getting me P.O.'d. Last night the "new evidence" these two detectives gave made me take a step back. But this morning I realize how discredited it must have made the family feel -- both for themselves and their son. It feels like slander to me. I think one of the red flags in this article is the detectives' lack of professionalism and any regard for the family --- they are blase about publicly brandishing their POVs; they brazenly disregard the coroner's findings; and they make the official designation of homicide seem like a well meaning but uninformed decision. (IOW, they don't only discredit Bill, they discredit their own.) Did anyone else feel the arrogance in their position, or am I overreacting?

The next articles are an eyeful too because of the development that the 54-year-old mentally disturbed neighbor confessed to sending the letters between July and Oct. 1980.

BBM2: Thanks, Yoda :)

BB1 - I agree, the Valium explains a lot and I too hope it meant he was not suffering as I had imagined.

BBM2 - This doesn't mean much but I've zoomed it as much as possible on that patch of woods and see nothing resembling a path. The trees do have a very thick canopy though. I guess it could be a shortcut to Topsfield Rd, Malden Way or N Murray Hill Rd. I have a hard time believing this area was a part of his paper route though, it's quite a distance to cover if his paper route also covered the Maple Dr./ Beacon Hill Rd area that the second attack took place. It's not far as a direct route but if he is delivering to houses on all of the streets in between by bicycle, it's quite a ways.

BBM3 - Totally agree.

BBM4 - Yeah, I think I'm probably going to disregard this comment. Even if he were trying to find out, would he really ask a teacher? I find that very hard to believe.

BBM5 - Yes. In my previous post, I questioned this conclusion when there doesn't seem to evidence. In other cases of autoerotic asphyxiation, they are often naked, pants undone, something. Also, there is usually something else involved that holds the rope/ belt/ scarf in place (hanging from something.) I just don't seem him tying his own scarf around his neck so tightly that it has to cut off. I just don't think that's possible.

My notes from the articles I posted in post #128:

Article 1:

Not a lot of new info here but it really goes to show the disconnect between what the police said and what the neighbors felt was really going on.

"Although the distraught families claimed the sheriff's office has ignored their pleas for help, deputies said they have spent 'thousands of hours' staking out the neighborhood since letters began arriving in July."

and

"However, when approached by The Dispatch, two unnamed uniformed sheriff's deputies in the neighborhood said they had not idea what was going on. 'We were just told to meet you guys out here,' one deputy said"

My thought: HOW COULD THEY NOT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON??

Article 2: I covered in a previous post

Article 3: The neighbor that sent the letters (A. Tope) also sent them to her own home and gathered with neighbors to talk about the threats. It was determined that she was not responsible for the notes BC received before he died, the ones found in his locker.

Article 4: The letters were mailed and taped to car windshields. Nothing about the leather belts that we heard earlier. I can't believe she was only fined $50. I would be livid if I were that family.

1. The coroner said the death was ruled a homicide primarily to keep the case open.

2. This quote: ..."strong possibility that he was not murdered and that he may have died at his own hands in a tragic accident."

My thoughts:

I think the polygraph results could easily be explained by the theory that he knew more about his attackers than he claimed, it doesn't necessarily mean that he was lying about the events taking place.

Also, sorry to be graphic, but if this was an autoerotic situation, wouldn't there be other clues? Pants unzipped, etc.

However, in the interest of exploring all of the options, I think it might be good to list out clues we have that absolutely point to this being a murder and not an accidental suicide. Unfortunately, as much as I don't want to believe it, I could see that being an option as it stands right now.

OK, I'm quoting and BBM'ing myself. I believe the fact that he died from his scarf being tied so tightly is the one clue that absolutely convinces me this was not a suicide, accidental or otherwise.

Original posts TBM:

BBM5 - Yes. In my previous post, I questioned this conclusion when there doesn't seem to evidence. In other cases of autoerotic asphyxiation, they are often naked, pants undone, something. Also, there is usually something else involved that holds the rope/ belt/ scarf in place (hanging from something.) I just don't seem him tying his own scarf around his neck so tightly that it has to cut off. I just don't think that's possible.

BBM2: Good idea. And the lack of evidence of self-gratification is def. one of them (BBM1 & BBM3). Also, presumably bodily fluids may have been discovered during the autopsy.

Point of clarity: Are you saying you have seen this type of accidental death take place outdoors? I am only familiar with what you describe in BBM3 (some sort of hanging contrived, even from a closet hook), with it sometimes viewed as a suicide with unclear intent, and usually taking place in a YA's bedroom. I would be interested to hear if you are saying outdoors in also common.

BBM4: I thought the whole reason for contriving a hanging of some sort was because you couldn't choke yourself that tightly without passing out.

My thoughts:

OK, I'm quoting and BBM'ing myself. I believe the fact that he died from his scarf being tied so tightly is the one clue that absolutely convinces me this was not a suicide, accidental or otherwise.

Original post TBM:
BBM2 - This doesn't mean much but I've zoomed it as much as possible on that patch of woods and see nothing resembling a path. The trees do have a very thick canopy though. I guess it could be a shortcut to Topsfield Rd, Malden Way or N Murray Hill Rd. I have a hard time believing this area was a part of his paper route though, it's quite a distance to cover if his paper route also covered the Maple Dr./ Beacon Hill Rd area that the second attack took place. It's not far as a direct route but if he is delivering to houses on all of the streets in between by bicycle, it's quite a ways.

Yes, this is peculiar, but I don't see it as much of a distance. The thing that struck me most is that, even though it's only five blocks from Maple Drive to the elementary school, there is no through street from Deerfield to Buena Vista. I think I see electric and phone wires running through this breach in the backyards of houses on both blocks. Kanard seems to dead end at this point -- though it's hard to be sure; there may be a sidewalk, alley, or path there. To my eye, the path along the RR tracks and Beacon Hill Road may provide the only reliable access from one area to the other. Kids don't tend to only follow roads, esp. longer ago.

According to Zillow, the homes that surround the school went up in the late 50s, so the neighborhood is as it would have been at the time BC was killed. Would the Comeans children have attended this school? This may have been very familiar turf, IMO. What route would they haven taken? I am guessing they would have walked to and from the school.

There is a street northwest of the wooded patch behind the school that runs on a diagonal. I had to look on another map to find out what it's called because it doesn't show up on the Google maps. It's called Powder Mill Lane. It seems to be a street because a few homes front onto it. It runs almost directly from the northwest corner of the tiny "woods" to the path. There is only the width of one lot between where is dead-ends and the tracks. Could the kids have been accustomed to cutting through a homeowner's property back there to get to the path and then home? I am guessing ... but it looks like the shortest distance to me. They could also have cut thru the house at the northwest end of Powder Mill, then through a yard that fronts on Buena Vista, and walked home by way of Park. These neighborhood patterns are hard to know unless you live in a place.

With the cold though, my thinking is all over the place. I'm guessing you can relate :)

Oh wow, I'm sick too so I haven't read the articles myself. I'm pretty surprised about the Valium. I wonder if there was any way to determine how it was administered? Would there still be pills in the stomach contents? Is it standard to look for injection sites during autopsy?

I'm off to read through now.

Unsure. Finding an injection site may have required suspicion and looking for it, or more sophistication -- I think it could be easily missed. I am guessing they would have looked at the stomach contents as SOP, but have no idea re the pills. Probably not, because they have to dissolve to work, right? Also, how would the killers have gotten BC to take them?

As to BC's innocence or culpability, I wonder if valium (aka diazepam) was used in the Comeans home. Could it have been prescribed by his doctor after the second attack for calming his fears/anxiety?

From the 60s to now, valium has been a heavily prescribed drug (peak use was 1978). I am just not sure how hard it would have been to get your hands on an injectable quantity.

According to Wikipedia: Diazepam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• "Advantages of diazepam are a rapid onset of action ..."
  • "Adverse effects of benzodiazepines such as diazepam include anterograde amnesia and confusion (especially pronounced in higher doses) and sedation."
  • "Diazepam in doses of 5 mg or more causes significant deterioration in alertness performance combined with increased feelings of sleepiness."
  • It also says it can be injected into muscle, so it wouldn't require finding a vein.
  • "The onset of action is one to five minutes for IV administration and 15–30 minutes for IM administration."
  • ?Diazepam occurs as solid white or yellow crystals with a melting point of 131.5 to 134.5 °C. It is odorless, and has a slightly bitter taste. The British Pharmacopoeia lists diazepam as being very slightly soluble in water, soluble in alcohol and freely soluble in chloroform."

And: Anterograde amnesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Anterograde amnesia is a loss of the ability to create new memories after the event that caused the amnesia, leading to a partial or complete inability to recall the recent past, while long-term memories from before the event remain intact."

Original posts TBM:

BBM2: Good idea. And the lack of evidence of self-gratification is def. one of them (BBM1 & BBM3). Also, presumably bodily fluids may have been discovered during the autopsy.

Point of clarity: Are you saying you have seen this type of accidental death take place outdoors? I am only familiar with what you describe in BBM3 (some sort of hanging contrived, even from a closet hook), with it sometimes viewed as a suicide with unclear intent, and usually taking place in a YA's bedroom. I would be interested to hear if you are saying outdoors in also common.

BBM4: I thought the whole reason for contriving a hanging of some sort was because you couldn't choke yourself that tightly without passing out.

BBM1 - No, sorry, I don't think being outdoors for this sort of thing is common at all. Especially when it's cold enough for there to be snow on the ground.

BBM2 - Exactly. This is the number one reason I don't believe this was an accidental suicide.

BBM1 - No, sorry, I don't think being outdoors for this sort of thing is common at all. Especially when it's cold enough for there to be snow on the ground.

BBM2 - Exactly. This is the number one reason I don't believe this was an accidental suicide.

Thanks for clarifying. BBM1: That is SUCH a good point.

Your BBM2, we are in agreement on this. Also, to the same point, one of the sources says the coroner's report listed internal injuries resulting from the strangulation -- which I think goes to the force with which he was strangled. Could this mean just bruising? Or does it suggest something more, like a collapsed airway? I don't know. But I don't think it matters either way.

BBM1: Yes, there sure are some surprises there! I was really stunned by the turnaround of LE in this article. If it's possible to come to dislike two detectives from a single news article, that's how I came away feeling. In spite of the new evidence, I had the sense these two felt they were above the coroner's findings. Some thoughts:

* The valium makes perfect sense to me. I am grateful that it may mean BC didn't know what hit him the night he died. IMO, it also potentially validates the 5-6 hour "nap" after the second attack, as well as possibly the fuzzy mindedness I am attaching to BC's inability to describe his assailants after both attacks. Sticking with the possibility of attackers, they stepped up their game with the choking each time, maybe they did so with the drug doses too? Valium is fast acting on injection -- I remember that an oral surgeon used it for my daughter's 3-hour bony impacted molar surgery years ago in an IV drip and it was considered "general anesthesia." Also, it is an amnesiac -- it causes forgetting of anything you were conscious of when you were on it!!! For me, this drug explains the lack of struggle in all attacks, as well as the lack of struggle.

* Was it this article or one of the others that says, at the time of assault #1, BC was on a trail 50 yards into the woods behind the elementary school? Is that a shortcut somewhere, I wonder -- home perhaps by way of the RR tracks? I have the sense that, at the time of this article anyway, LE "reads" this as BC seeking privacy.

* Yes, the "crime scene" was probably quite a mess, and it probably hurt LE and the coroner not to see the way the scarf was tied around Bill's neck. But -- hello! -- breathing was a little more important at the time. It disturbs me that these two cops called the crime scene a "death scene." It was NOT. BC died at the hospital. The crime scene was a mess because human beings tried to save the boy's life! They seemed to ignore that little detail ...

* Can a lie detector test be reliably administered to a 14-year-old?! I thought it could not be given to kids because of their impressionability/suggestibility and the blurry line between imagination and reality? Does anyone know how this is seen today?

* And the teacher -- well, if all teachers were saints, I'd have no problem with this, but they are ordinary people with all sorts of personalities (helpful and, well, not so much). We are not told when BC asked the teacher this Q, but given the fact that the first attack happened so close to the beginning of the school year, I am guessing the convo occurred at least after that and maybe even after the second one. What if BC's Q was a reaction to LE's suspicion of him? By that time, LE may have already been taking samples of Bill's handwriting to rule him out in the case. Maybe he said to the teacher "How could I have made myself pass out?" and the teacher (or LE) took it out of context? LE sure likes hearsay when they think it works for them ...

* We are supposed to believe that a 14-year-old sought "self-gratification" outdoors?! And his routine was to take valium first? And to do it in the middle of delivering papers or collecting for his paper route? Give. Me. A. Break. So I guess then that quitting his paper route was a deliberate cover for his actions?

Sorry about this little rant -- I read this stuff before bed last night but it's only just now that it's getting me P.O.'d. Last night the "new evidence" these two detectives gave made me take a step back. But this morning I realize how discredited it must have made the family feel -- both for themselves and their son. It feels like slander to me. I think one of the red flags in this article is the detectives' lack of professionalism and any regard for the family --- they are blase about publicly brandishing their POVs; they brazenly disregard the coroner's findings; and they make the official designation of homicide seem like a well meaning but uninformed decision. (IOW, they don't only discredit Bill, they discredit their own.) Did anyone else feel the arrogance in their position, or am I overreacting?

The next articles are an eyeful too because of the development that the 54-year-old mentally disturbed neighbor confessed to sending the letters between July and Oct. 1980.

BBM2: Thanks, Yoda :)

Yeah-me, too! Maybe I am unsophisticated about sexual matters, but when did
Auto-erotic asphyxiation become something that 14 year old boys had a notion to do OUTSIDE, in the days before the internet and rampant *advertiser censored* existed? I promise you, I had never even heard of that in 1984, and I was an adult then. Just saying that this isn't something I would consider as a possibility after finding this boy, with his pants and other clothing intact.

Original post TBM:

Yes, this is peculiar, but I don't see it as much of a distance. The thing that struck me most is that, even though it's only five blocks from Maple Drive to the elementary school, there is no through street from Deerfield to Buena Vista. I think I see electric and phone wires running through this breach in the backyards of houses on both blocks. Kanard seems to dead end at this point -- though it's hard to be sure; there may be a sidewalk, alley, or path there. To my eye, the path along the RR tracks and Beacon Hill Road may provide the only reliable access from one area to the other. Kids don't tend to only follow roads, esp. longer ago.

According to Zillow, the homes that surround the school went up in the late 50s, so the neighborhood is as it would have been at the time BC was killed. Would the Comeans children have attended this school? This may have been very familiar turf, IMO. What route would they haven taken? I am guessing they would have walked to and from the school.

There is a street northwest of the wooded patch behind the school that runs on a diagonal. I had to look on another map to find out what it's called because it doesn't show up on the Google maps. It's called Powder Mill Lane. It seems to be a street because a few homes front onto it. It runs almost directly from the northwest corner of the tiny "woods" to the path. There is only the width of one lot between where is dead-ends and the tracks. Could the kids have been accustomed to cutting through a homeowner's property back there to get to the path and then home? I am guessing ... but it looks like the shortest distance to me. They could also have cut thru the house at the northwest end of Powder Mill, then through a yard that fronts on Buena Vista, and walked home by way of Park. These neighborhood patterns are hard to know unless you live in a place.

With the cold though, my thinking is all over the place. I'm guessing you can relate :)

BBM - I saw that, too. The one that ends in a cul de sac? It does look like at could be a shortcut for kids heading home from the elementary school over two where the foot path near the railroad tracks begins at Buena Vista and Park.

Fair warning: Incoming lengthy posts to follow this one :)

(1) William Comeans: Case Information & Initial Timeline

(2) William Comeans: Sources Culled​

Thanks to several posters, we have been given a lot of information to digest across the last six pages. It helps me to cull and collate information from a deluge like this and look at it in a more organized fashion. Since I have done this for myself, I am sharing it here in case this sort of thing helps you too.

That said, I urge you to look at the source materials if you haven’t already done so, because pulling out what seems to be valid information from media sources is a subjective enterprise. There are a lot of contradictions and errors in the press coverage -- some of the latter I’ve caught (e.g., one source saying that, including Bill, Mrs. Comeans has two other children, when in fact she has three; a photo of Bill with his father’s name, Robert, under it), but some I likely have not. In general, I’ve assumed something’s true if I read it in more than one place, but that’s not foolproof. Not if, but when, you catch mistakes, please let me know. I’ll edit them out or repost with corrections at a later date so everyone has a chance to weigh in.

Sorry for taking up so much space, but I hope it helps.

William Comeans: Case Information & Initial Timeline

Thanks to several posters, we have been given a lot of information from MSM and internet sources to digest across the first six pages of this thread. It helps me to cull and collate information from a deluge like this and look at it in a more organized fashion. Since I have done this for myself, I am sharing it here in case this sort of thing helps you too.

That said, I urge you to look at the source materials if you haven’t already done so, because pulling out what seems to be valid information from media sources is a subjective enterprise. There are a lot of contradictions and errors in the press coverage -- some of the latter I’ve caught (e.g., one source saying that, including Bill, Mrs. Comeans has two other children, when in fact she has three; and a photo of Bill with his father’s name, Robert, under it), but some I likely have not. In general, I’ve assumed something’s true if I read it in more than one place, but that’s not foolproof.

Caveat: IMO this timeline is best used after you've read the source materials. Only then will you really get what the abbreviated statements mean. Also, the timeline is not intended as a substitute for reading the thread. Posters' points of view, analyses, and later content contributions all shed new light on the preliminary information presented here.

(1) From the Ohio Atty. Gen.’s website (TBM):

UNSOLVED HOMICIDE: WILLIAM COMEANS
Case number: 713
Date: 1/23/1980 [Error: the homicide actually occurred 1/7/1980]
Location: Buena Vista Ave., Columbus, Ohio -- Franklin County
DOB: 1/7/1965 [Error: DOB is actually 1/11/1965]
Race/Ethnicity: White
Height: 5' 09" [One news source says 6’1”]
Weight: 170 lbs [One news source says 177 LBs]
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Law enforcement agency: Franklin County Sheriff's Office​
Case Details
William Comeans was helping his father work on family car. He then went two doors down to get his sister to come from a birthday party but it wasn't over, so he came home and told his mother that he would go back to get her. His parent's never saw him again before his discovery. They filed a missing persons report and police canvassed the neighborhood. William's father and neighbor found him at the dead end of Buena Vista Ave., which was the next street over, by the railroad tracks. William died later at the hospital. The cause of death was strangulation. On two previous occasions, in September and October, William was attacked by two unknown males and was choked on both occasions.​
(2) From various sources (see listing after this post):

PERSONAL INFORMATION

• Family residence: Maple Drive, New Rome (Franklin County, Columbus, considered “the west side”).
  • Bill was a freshman at Westland High School in Galloway, Ohio.
  • Police describe Bill as “the perfect student, the perfect child, the perfect citizen.”
  • Bill had a passion for music, played piano, and was in the school choir and musicals.
(3) Created by pdxmama:

MAP

For a visual of locations mentioned in the timeline that follows, pdxmama created a Google Map with colored pushpins showing:

• Red -- The family residence on Maple Drive
  • Aqua -- Westland High School (where BC was a freshman and received notes in his school locker)
  • Yellow -- Prairie-Lincoln Elementary School (site of the 1st assault)
  • Magenta -- The intersection of Maple Drive and Beacon Hill Road (site of the 2nd assault)
  • Green -- Where Buena Vista Ave. dead-ends by the railroad tracks (where BC’s body was discovered after the 3rd and final assault)
(4) From various sources (see listing after this post):

TIMELINE

September & October Threatening Notes Rec’d at School

• Throughout the fall, Bill finds 3-4 threatening notes in his school locker, which he gives detectives.
  • Some are typed, some are written, and some are cut from pieces of magazines.
  • Bill’s best friend and a girl friend each also received a note in their lockers. These messages, typed in red ink, say “Blood will spill,” “It’s your turn,” and “Bill has three mths. left. ps. make the best of it.”
  • At least one note is found at Westland HS after BC’s death. It says, "You're next" and is signed with a red "S." (A source says this is according to BC's parents, as deputies would not confirm such a note was found.)
  • LE compares Bill’s handwriting to the handwriting on the notes.
9/5/1979, Wednesday First Assault (Attempted Murder?)
8:30 PM

• Bill is on his way home from a friend's house and cuts through the woods behind Prairie-Lincoln Elementary School, at 4900 Amesbury Way.
  • Bill is on a trail 50 yards into the woods behind the school.
  • Bill is knocked from his bike by “two unknown men” who approach from behind.
  • They tie a plastic garbage bag over Bill’s head and wrap a bicycle inner tube around his neck.
  • Bill nearly loses consciousness but frees himself.
  • Bill returns home with bruises on his neck.
  • Police find inner tube, plastic bag, and BC’s bike at scene, plus note that says “He was warned.”
  • Bill later files an assault report with Sherriff’s deputies, and police find Bill's bike bag, inner tube, and note at the scene.
  • Bill is unable to describe his assailants.
10/22/79, Monday Second Assault (Attempted Murder?)
6:30 PM

• Bill is out collecting money on foot for his paper route near Beacon Hill Road and Maple Drive.
  • Two men leap from an older model, aqua/turquoise car and jump him from behind.
  • They tie a rope around neck and leave him for dead under a tree or some shrubs.
  • Bill lies there unconscious for 5-1/2 or 6 hours, then walks home at 1 AM.
  • Bill arrives home with rope burns on his neck and a gash on the right side of his face.
  • Bill tells his parents what happened.
  • Bill quits his paper route after this attack.
  • Bill sees a doctor and files an assault report with Sheriff’s deputies.
  • Bill describes his assailants as two white males in their late teens/early 20s.
  • Four days later, Bill takes a polygraph test at Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation in London, Ohio.
1/7/80, Monday The Murder
About 9 PM

• Sister Kathleen (age 9) attends a birthday party two doors down the street from the family home.
  • Bill goes to pick Kathleen up, but she asks for more time and Bill leaves.
  • Mother is in living room of family home.
  • Father is working on the car in the garage.
  • Bill brings his father coffee twice.
  • Bill wanders from the garage to the porch to the yard and never returns.
  • Nearly 20 minutes later the family becomes alarmed when they realize Bill is gone.
  • The family believes he was abducted.
  • Father says Bill would not have left the yard without telling someone.
9 - 9:45 PM

• Father searches for Bill with a neighbor.
  • Bill is found near the Conrail RR tracks at the north end of Buena Vista Ave.
  • He lies face down in a snowy ditch, about two blocks from home, amidst beer bottles, broken tree limbs, and rusted car parts.
  • Bill’s winter scarf was used to choke him and is still knotted tightly around his neck.
  • Brother Mike cuts the scarf free with a pocket knife.
  • Bill’s father and brother Bob give Bill CPR until ambulance arrives.
  • The ambulance takes Bill to Doctors West Hospital.
  • LE determines that, aside from the strangulation, there are no signs of a violence/struggle, no marks on Bill’s body, and Bill was not robbed (one source suggests he was not robbed during any of the attacks); they are unsure at this time if his death was caused by murder or suicide
About 11 PM

• Bill is pronounced dead at Doctors Hospital West.
4/22/80, Tuesday Coroner’s Report Released

• Coroner William Adrion rules death a homicide. (Adrion may have had to put his name on all reports, as another source says Dep. Coroner Patrick M. Fardal conducted the autopsy.)
  • Finding is based on autopsy findings and sheriff’s department investigation.
  • COD: Cardiac arrest due to compression of the neck by ligature.
  • MOD: Petechial hemorrhaging shows he was most likely strangled.
  • Toxicology report shows diazepam (valium) in BC’s blood, but LE sees no evidence of personal drug use and does not know how Bill may have gotten any.
  • The report says Bill has internal injuries from the strangulation as well as facial hemorrhaging, but no other wounds to his body.
  • Coroner declares death “a very bizarre case.”
7/21 - 10/31/80 Neighbors on Maple Drive receive threatening letters/notes

• 13-19 letters (sources are mixed on the exact number) are received by eight families living w/in 200 yards of one another on Maple Dr. (or within 200 yards of the Comeans home)
  • Families on Maple Drive who receive the notes include: Armstrong, Baker, Blain, Comeans, Kidwell, Stormont, Tope, and Watts
  • Families receive identical notes on same days.
  • In July they start to arrive at two-week intervals.
  • Some are mailed, others hand-delivered at night (several sources say tied to porches and cars with leather belts; one source says taped; one source says leather straps).
  • First to be delivered in person arrive 9/9/80.
  • Sometimes arrival is 4 days apart, other times 33 days apart.
  • Handwriting is described two ways:

• “crudely printed messages”
  • “neatly penciled on pieces of cut envelope.”

• Handwriting analysis reveals all are written by same person. (Unclear whether comparison include pre-death notes.)
  • Messages are “very brief in three or four words or in poorly constructed sentences.”
  • Messages reported in press:

• Parents should guard their children carefully, signed X.
  • “Time is short”
  • “[Name] is next” (seven neighborhood females, aged 7-50, were specifically named across in these notes)
  • “All have been warned”
  • “Death in October”
  • “U R Next”
  • “It’s time.” (left the night before Halloween)

• Police believe the letter writer may be BC’s killer.
  • On Nov. 2, LE calls the letter writer a “terrorist” and go to Syracuse to get a psychological profile done on the letter writer.
December 1980 54-Year-Old Woman Arrested for Penning Letters to Neighbors

• Alean J. Tope, 54, of 387 Maple Dr., is arrested for writing threatening letters to her neighbors from July - Halloween.
  • Tope, a clerk in the Ohio Dept. of Taxation, and her husband, retired mail carrier Willard Tope, 56, have lived in the neighborhood for seven years and have four adult children (in 1980 they include a 22-YO daughter and three sons “ranging in age up to 30”).
  • Alean is allegedly diagnosed in November by a psychiatrist as having “dual personalities” (one source calls this diagnosis “tentative”); she had nervous breakdowns in 1973 and 1974; and she spent three weeks in University Hospital in November (presumably as a psych in-patient-- this stay shortly following the writing of the last note on Mischief Night/Halloween Eve).
  • At the time the neighborhood was alarmed by the notes, Tope claims to be one of the first to receive a note and participates in the neighborhood response to the letters. Early on, she tells the Columbus Dispatch, “This is a sick joke or someone ready to go off the deep end.”
  • She also tells police two men tried to force her into a van about a block from her home.
  • She also calls LE about prowlers, getting threatening phone calls, and attempted break-ins.
  • LE begins to see her as a suspect when her claims can’t be substantiated (once source says “proves to be false”].
  • The county sheriff executes a search warrant on her desk at the Dept. of Taxation Nov. 11 because she won’t surrender a handwriting sample or take a polygraph.
  • She is charged with disorderly conduct, pleads “no contest” (reportedly fainting and falling to the floor during the proceeding, something she reportedly had done several times since being found out), and is fined $50 (half of the maximum $100).
  • Exact charge is “did recklessly cause inconvenience, annoyance, and alarm to other persons by engaging in threatening harm to such persons when taken in the context of the death of William Comeans,” a misdemeanor.
  • Mrs. Comeans says of her, “She was a good friend, but I don’t even want to look at her.”
  • She offers no explanation as to why she wrote the notes.
  • LE claims she is not a suspect in BC’s death or in the writing of the notes he received.
Sept. 1981 LE Proposes New Theory of Crimes

• LE advances a theory that BC died of accidental suicide by way of autoerotic asphyxiation.
  • NYPD is asked to weigh in and agrees, while FBI calls COD “inconclusive.”
  • Coroner has not changed ruling of homicide and does not speak.
  • LE claims homicide investigation continues “officially” while detectives state publicly that they don’t believe BC was murdered.
  • Deputy Coroner claims ruling of homicide was given “to keep the case open.”
  • LE claims scenes of first two attacks showed no signs of struggle, and that in spite of wet ground from heavy rains, BC’s clothes and shoes weren’t soiled.
  • LE claims that BC’s responses to the lie detector test he took were “significant of an attempt to deceive.”
  • LE claim the trampled “death scene” [Bill dies at Doctors Hospital West] hurt their case: 35-40 people were present, many panic stricken, as the family and emergency services tried to save Bill’s life.
  • A teacher tells LE that, before Bill died, he asked him Qs about “how to make yourself pass out.”
  • Case remains open as a homicide.
(4) From various sources (see listing after this post):

EVIDENCE
Medical Report

• Bill sees a doctor after the second assault, and his physician sees signs that Bill was choked (the choking caused blood vessels in his face to rupture).
Final Crime Scene

• Knife, beer bottle, and scarf from murder scene sent to crime lab in London, OH.
  • Family: "Franklin County Sheriff Cold Case unit has files, evidence, the scarf, statements, the butcher knife, pictures, DNA sample, everything."
  • FBI’s Behavioral Sciences Lab and NYPD both perform "personality analyses,” using interviews with relatives, friends, and school officials, to determine "personality traits and habits" of the victim (a handwriting sample is included).
  • Trace DNA found on scarf, awaiting release of new testing procedure that will better preserve sample (test was expected for release in Jan. 2013, but has not yet materialized).
CURRENT CASE STATUS
A cold case detective says they found bodily fluids on the scarf and plan to send it for DNA testing, but that has not been done yet. Since there isn't a big sample, they are waiting for a new test, currently in the works, to become available.​

Wow, GoingByMyGut! The "thanks" button is not adequate. This is amazing!

FAMILY SOURCES

MEDIA SOURCES

Media sources are listed chronologically by publication date, not in the order they were posted.

See post 108
Jan. 8, 1980
Father finds son; says he was killed, Columbus Dispatch

Jan. 8, 1980
William Comeans, 14, dies at hospital; found along railroad tracks with an object around his neck, Columbus Citizen-Journal

Jan. 9, 1980
Earlier threatening notes probed in death of strangled teenager William Comeans, Columbus Dispatch

Jan. 9, 1980
Father says son's death not suicide, Columbus Citizen-Journal

See post 64
Jan. 18, 1980
Death of William Comeans Being Treated as Homicide, Columbus Dispatch​

See post 69
April 23, 1980
Coroner Says New Rome Boy Murdered, Columbus Dispatch​

See post 71
April 23, 1980
Bizarre Strangling of Boy Ruled a Homicide, Columbus Citizen-Journal​

See post 74
Oct. 31, 1980
Threat Letters Believed Written By Same Person, Columbus Dispatch​

See post 82
Oct. 31, 1980
Death Threats Terrorizing Neighborhood, Columbus Dispatch​

See Post 91
Nov. 1, 1980
Fear Strikes Quiet Street, Reading Eagle in Reading, PA​

See Post 93
Nov. 1, 1980
Death Threats Raise Specter of Fear in Ohio Town, AP, The Freelance Star in Fredericksburg, VA

Nov. 1, 1980
Neighborhood in Fear: Will the Killer Strike Again? Spoke Daily Chronicle in Washington state

Nov. 1, 1980
Eight Ohio Families Live in Fear of Killer, The Lewiston Journal in Maine

Nov. 1, 1980
A Day of Terror on Maple Drive, The Hour in Norwalk CT

See Post 128
Nov. 1, 1980
Neighborhood Saturated By Police, Columbus Dispatch

Nov. 2, 1980
Terrorist Search Enlists Aid of Handwriting Analyst, Columbus Dispatch

Dec. 5, 1980
Neighbor of Slain Youth Arrested for Penning Series of Death Notes, Columbus Dispatch

Dec. 5, 1980
New Rome Woman Admits Threats to Neighbors, Columbus Citizen-Journal

Sept. 13, 1981
Mystery Still Lingers Over Death of Bill Comeans​

Obituary of Hoax Letter Writer
Aug. 21, 2012
Alean June (Greene) Tope (obituary), Columbus Dispatch​

See Post 24
Oct. 29, 2012
Crime Tracker 10 Looks at Cold Cases

My heart goes out to this family in a big way. I applaud them for their determination and excellent use of resources.

And you guys get a standing ovation for the awesome work you've done in this thread. Thank you so much!

:woot: :takeabow: :woot: :takeabow: :woot:

:gthanks:

Before we move onto other ways of looking at BC's case, I have a few thoughts that are nagging me about the stuff we've already looked at:

(1) I think LE's proposal in 1981 that BC died of autoerotic asphyxiation could have played a role in the case going cold. I'm only basing this on my/our own reactions to the information. When I first read about it, it made me take a step back. I wonder if, at the time, people/the public just didn't know what to do with the information. They may have felt torn between sympathy for the family and belief in the authority of LE. At the time, the polygraph alone could have really confused everyone. The murkiness of what it all meant about Bill may have made them move on ...

Unless there is more of a basis for this theory than we know, I think it was irresponsible for LE to come out with this position. I wonder if it was intentional, a way to get the public/the media to back off? I don't suppose we'll ever know, but on a gut level, it feels to me like the kiss of death for the case.

I think that until we are contradicted on the facts, we should push past the theory as extraordinarily unlikely, based on all of the arguments advanced in our combined posts (lack of evidence of self-gratification, unlikelihood of BC doing this outdoors in winter, presence of valium in his blood, physical unlikelihood of imposing such an intense degree of harm on himself, unreliability of polygraph results with children and/or the possibility that the test picked up genuine nervousness/confusion/thoughts about who did this to him). JMO

(2) I think it's worth talking about AJT and her letter-writing hoax some more. One thing that disturbs me is the fact that, when she was being investigated, she refused to give a handwriting sample or to take a polygraph and that these two things would have been incriminating to her. Whenever mental illness is on the table, I look for things like this as indicators of whether a person knew what they were doing was wrong. To my eye, her lack of cooperation on these two items says "oh yes!" in neon lights. Crazy like a fox, as the saying goes.

Also, it appears we were right that the pre- and post-death notes had difference authors. However, one of AJT's notes (“All have been warned”) is very similar to the text of the note LE found on BC's bike after the first attack (“He was warned.”). They are similar in both content and sentence structure (passive construction -- i.e., versus "I/We warned them/him.").

So, I know the logic of a letter-writing hoax is to mimic the initial letters, but how did she know what was in these notes -- esp. the one after the assault? Unless I am mixing up the dates of the articles in my mind, it seems to me that -- with the exception of the note rec'd at school just after BC's death ("You're next," signed with a red "S") -- LE did not release and the media didn't report the text of the locker and bike notes until the 1981 "Mystery Still Lingers" article. We do know that there was a friendship between AJT and Mrs. Comeans (Mrs. Comeans says of her, “She was a good friend, but I don’t even want to look at her.”), but I would assume LE cautioned the family to keep the content of the notes to themselves. Wouldn't the family have taken this seriously? In close-knit circles, telling even one close friend would have been akin to telling everyone ...

Another thing AJT refused to do was explain WHY she undertook the hoax. Since the reason for her earlier lack of cooperation (handwriting sample & polygraph) appears to have been self-preservation, it seems plausible to me that this she withheld the overarching explanation for the same reason. But at this point in the case, when what she had done was public, what was left to protect?

I don't think it's being overly suspicious to wonder whether AJT's actions reflected a "family" point of view. Often, sick ways of thinking are toxic to a household and permeate the children -- to say nothing of a potential genetic basis for whatever her mental health issues actually were. I wonder if LE investigated her three sons “ranging in age up to 30”? Presumably, one or more of them did not live at home. Did LE look at the cars they drove? How exactly did they dismiss the likelihood of AJT's involvement in BC's death? I'm not suggesting she was present, but could the motivation for the hoax, in her distorted way of thinking, have been to protect a son or sons from what she knew they did?

I find the conclusion on this completely unsatisfying. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members