How will the BOT respond to the Freeh Report recommendations?

While I do believe the board needs reform, and I'm happy in that respect that newcomers won, I'm not at all comfortable that the pro-Joe force was elected. I'd be happier with a pro-truth bunch, regardless of whose reputation becomes tarnished, or more tarnished.

While I do believe the board needs reform, and I'm happy in that respect that newcomers won, I'm not at all comfortable that the pro-Joe force was elected. I'd be happier with a pro-truth bunch, regardless of whose reputation becomes tarnished, or more tarnished.

They did not get my vote, but neither did the two incumbents. I do feel that there should be a clearing of those alumni members that were on the board in May of 2011.

According to the order, it looks like it will be limited to four people:

Louis Freeh
Omar McNeil
Tom Cloud
Greg Paw

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/08/david-r-smith-penn-state-pay_n_4242527.html

"Penn State trustees scheduled a meeting for Oct. 30 where they were expected to vote on a new president, but canceled it abruptly. Then on Nov. 5, the Albany Times Union revealed that Smith, president of the State University of New York’s Upstate Medical University, was the preferred pick for the new job, but was in the middle of an investigation into allegations he padded his state pay without authorization."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/campus_inq/PSU-delays-vote-on-new-president-indefinitely.html

"Pennsylvania State University’s board of trustees emerged from a private meeting on Friday and said they need more time to consider presidential candidates - and that’s why they canceled a public meeting where they were expected to vote on a new president.

“The search process is progressing and will continue until the best possible person to lead Penn State is selected and presented to the full board for a vote," Board of Trustees Chairman Keith Masser said in a prepared statement.

Nothing new with the BOT it appears.

US agency eyes sex assault reports at Penn State

http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...lt-reports-at-Penn-State.html?isap=1&nav=5019

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The U.S. Department of Education is looking into Penn State's handling of sexual harassment and sexual assault complaints to see if it had responded appropriately to those reports in the years surrounding the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal that engulfed the university.......

"Our initial review of Penn State's sexual harassment policy, compounded by a dramatic increase in the number of forcible sex offenses occurring on campus as reported by the university itself, raised legal concerns that compelled us to investigate," Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights Catherine Lhamon said in the statement.

The investigation will look to determine whether complaints were improperly handled, thus keeping the numbers artificially low, before the spike, a department spokesman said.......more......

‘A dynamo’: Penn State colleagues reflect on incoming president Eric Barron

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/02/17/4042609/a-dynamo-penn-state-colleagues.html#storylink=cpy

“He has this amazing ability to bring consensus to very difficult topics, whether they involve science or policy,” Easterling said. “He’s very skilled at bringing people together around the table.”

Easterling said he’s excited to have a leader of Barron’s caliber.

“I think I speak for all of the deans that we are thrilled to have someone of his caliber to lead us,” Easterling said. “He’ll help us move the university looking forward, not backward.”

FSU will certainly miss Dr. Barron

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/...nts-off-guard?odyssey=obinsite&nclick_check=1

Barron, 62, has enjoyed widespread respect and admiration at FSU, in the greater Tallahassee community and even in Florida’s Capitol. Under his leadership, FSU has been ranked the most efficient university in the country the past two years and it has steadily moved up in the national rankings.

“People would be surprised at how much pain is associated with leaving Florida State,” Barron said. “It is awfully hard.”

Barron has set FSU on a path to be listed among the top 25 public universities in the nation. He also has initiated FSU’s first $1 billion capital campaign, which is just beyond the midpoint. But he said he doesn’t believe he has unfinished business at FSU, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in 1973.

“If you’re doing a good job, there’s no such thing as a good time, there’s no finish line,” he said. “There’s always the next thing you want to accomplish. Any president who’s thinking about a finish line is thinking about their retirement and not doing their job.”

Challenging PS4RS, Penn State trustee Joel Myers to seek re-election

Myers said this would be his last term, and he likened his candidacy to a “referen-dum question” for alumni.

“Do they believe, as I do, that it is time to surge onward, toward a bright future and out of the Sandusky darkness? Or do they support the group calling itself Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship, whose eyes seem to look only backward, using counterproductive acrimony and recriminations to continue to churn our collective hurt?”

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/02/...g-ps4rs-penn-state-trustee.html#storylink=cpy

As a PSU alum, Myers' comments only serve to further alienate me from the 2011 BOT. I'm not a PS4RS supporter, but believe the 2011 BOT did not handle the events leading up to the scandal revelations, nor the aftermath in the proper manner. While the BOT did the right thing in removing Paterno and the others from their positions, I disagree with the way Paterno was relieved, and shudder at many of the comments they have made post-scandal. I support PS4RS in searching for truth, but disagree that "clearing" Paterno should be the top priority. Doing what is best for the school, and learning enough of what happened to ensure nothing like this happens again should be the priority, regardless of where the search for the truth leads. Myers has waffled back and forth with regard to the NCAA sanctions, and should have been working for transparency and greater involvement of all trustees, not just the upper echelon, throughout his long tenure. His comment about this "referen-dum question" for alumni completely rubs me the wrong way, as if he thinks we alums would be "dumb" if we don't work for his re-election. I feel we would be "dumb" if we do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back